Chapter 5: Earth

Heaven and Earth

When she woke up, she found herself on the streets. Pushing herself off the ground, she looked at her surroundings. Shining bright billboards with restaurants, loud music playing and people dancing around, groups of people wearing clothes that were entirely different from her. 

That was when reality hit her. She had arrived on Earth. She tried testing her magical powers, but nothing worked.

She could vaguely remember these streets as she saw them through her pensieve, but she didn’t know where she was. Still in her hanbok and shoes, she asked a random passerby where she was. “This is Hongdae.” The girl looked confused and stared at her from top to toe before walking away. 

“Hongdae? Where the heck is Hongdae?” She screamed internally as she continued walking aimlessly and arrived in a crowd filled with people dancing to a ballad. The song sounded extremely familiar, she had heard it somewhere before, but she could not recall where. She unconsciously started moving to the beat and this did not go unnoticed by the one of the girl dancers who was standing by the side. 

During the dance, the girl approached her. “I love your hanbok! Come dance with us!” She said as she dragged Jihyun into the centre. She was shocked, but when she heard the cheers from her surroundings, she broke into a chuckle. What is there to lose?

She had always loved dancing and whenever the kingdom had events, she would be the first to volunteer even though her father opposed as he reckoned it was inappropriate for a princess to be a dancer. Even so, she practiced secretly in her room. She usually wasn’t able to freestyle much without choreography, but with this extremely familiar song, she didn’t need one at all as her body moved naturally to the beat. 

--

He tried his best, but he felt so suffocated because he made so many mistakes during practice.  It was a very bad day. Feeling extremely drained, he excused himself from the boys and told them he wanted to go to Hongdae for some alone time. 

Hongdae had always been his comfort place, and the boys knew that. The place held a special meaning to him because he was first discovered there by the company’s managers when he danced to a certain ballad song - Malibu Nights. 

He loved coming back to this bustling place. It was crowded and no one would bother him because they were focusing so much on the street buskers to even notice he was there. He looked at them and they reminded him so much of his initial self - filled with passion and desire. Most importantly, the Jungkook then had a purpose, while the current Jungkook is struggling to find one. 

As he sighed audibly, he could hear a familiar melody playing nearby. It was his favourite song, and hearing it again perked him up a little. He walked towards the crowd and saw a girl dressed in Hanbok dancing in the centre. As he observed her, he was visibly surprised - not only because of her outfit, but also because the girl’s dancing seemed extremely familiar. The way she moved and danced made him feel that the dance was for two people instead of one, and instantly, many blurred scenes flashed through his mind. The scene which he used to dream of ran through his mind again this time. 

He had never experienced something like that before when he was awake. 

Shrugging it off as the performance ended, he decided to head towards an outdoor bar to get a drink. 

--

When the performance ended, Jihyun felt bliss. After she bade goodbye to the crowd and the dancers, she smiled to herself. She hadn’t felt so happy in such a long time - doing what she loved without having to watch the rules, not being controlled by anyone anymore. 

 

As she skipped down the street the crowds started thinning out and it started getting quieter. Fear started sinking in. She didn’t know what to do or where to go, heck, she didn’t know anyone on earth! She only watched them from above!

“Hey pretty girl!” A voice called out and she continued walking, too immersed in her thoughts. She only stopped in her tracks when two guys stopped in front of her. She quivered in fear as she saw their menacing eyes. “It’s late, where are you going?” He asked seductively and she took two steps back, “I don’t know…” She mumbled but one of them heard her. “Why don't you come along with us then?” He said as he placed both hands on her and dragged her to the side alley. 

She called for help but there wasn’t anyone in sight. Little did she know that someone had been observing from the side the whole time. 

--

He couldn’t shrug off that feeling. Everything was so familiar. As he settled down at the bar, he sat outside and saw her skipping down the streets in her hanbok. He laughed at her cute steps, but his smile faltered when he saw the two guys dragging her into the side alley. As much as he slept around, he still respected women and could not stand the sight of anyone being taken advantage of.

“This is it. Father was right, I’m going to die here on Earth.” She shut her eyes and thought to herself when she saw the two menacing guys staring at her hungrily. Before they could approach her, she heard someone screaming, “What the heck are you doing?!” She turned to see a man dressed in a long coat with a face mask walking in from the side alley. The two guys looked unfazed. “Stay out of this, young boy.” 

“And what happens if I don’t?” The man asked and the two guys smirked, “You’re getting ready for death, aren’t you?” With that, he flung a punch towards the man but he dodged it expertly. Within 30 seconds, the first guy was down on the floor. The second guy took about a minute but the man was eventually able to take him down as well. Jihyun widened her eyes and cowered against the wall, standing rooted to the ground as the two guys ran away in fear. 

Turning his attention towards her, he asked with concern, “Are you okay?” 

“Y-yeah, thank you so much!” She said with gratitude in her eyes. When their eyes met, a flashback ran through her mind - the same one she had when she was talking to Ahreum. She hadn’t noticed that she was staring at him so intently, and he coughed to break her attention. 

He sighed, “Do you need a signature?” He was tired of people asking for favours, but he knew he brought this upon himself when he chose to help her. “Why would I need a signature?” She asked curiously and this time, he widened his eyes in surprise. 

“Do you know who I am?” This was the first time in 7 years that someone didn’t know him. He had never needed to introduce himself ever since the group’s career took off. “Am I supposed to?” She asked with her doe-like eyes. He was handsome for sure, but she didn’t know him.

 Jungkook couldn’t detect any pretense at all. He thought she was faking it, but when she started walking away from him, he realised she wasn’t lying. 

Where is this girl from?