re:naissance

re:start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]re:naissance[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Epilogue[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

 

Son Namjoo’s life fell apart in one single night. One moment, she was having dinner with her acquaintances, and the next, several armed men surrounded her. She couldn’t even take two steps out of the restaurant before it happened. They were dressed in black and didn’t wear typical police uniforms, so she didn’t recognize them at first. But once they arrested her and put her in handcuffs, she was confronted with the bitter reality—her game was over. This time, she wasn’t dealing with a few police officers who were in over their heads. This time, the Secret Service had caught on to her crimes. She received no prior warning and had no idea how the agents had uncovered her affiliation with South Korea’s most proficient criminal organization. Her meticulous planning and schemes were meaningless when the agents put her in the back of their van and locked the doors. She lost everything she had ever worked for, most importantly, her influence over Busan and her good reputation.

The mayor’s arrest spread like wildfire, and the public’s support for her entirely disappeared when her trial began. The reveal of her role within the Red Force was a scandal, dominating the headlines of newspapers for weeks. In the course of her trial, she was confronted with damning evidence the Secret Service had gathered over many years, sparking an investigation into the electoral fraud committed by her, among other crimes. As soon as she realized she couldn’t possibly escape a prison sentence, she caved in and started talking. Although she had lost, she enjoyed the spotlight she received and made a big show of revealing the identities of high-ranking members of her organization. Had Doyun still been alive, she would have sold him out as well, although he had been her closest ally. Son Namjoo was a narcissist, and if she had to go down, she would bring everyone down with her. The Red Force was falling apart, and she ensured she would crush what little was left of it. She couldn’t stand the idea of her members walking free while she had to relinquish her freedom, wealth, and standing in society.

Baekhyun and Soojin were present in court during the sentencing. It gave them closure to know this despicable woman would stay behind bars for the rest of her life. The agents had played a significant part in the trial preparation, providing ample evidence. They were unsung heroes, remaining in the background and avoiding the attention of the press. Every member of EXO received a generous bonus on their pay check for their marvelous work and was awarded for their dedication. It had been one of the largest operations of the Secret Service in recent times, and now the agents could put this chapter of their lives behind them.

 

 

Jeno’s favorite restaurant was surprisingly crowded. It was Friday, and he had invited Soojin for lunch. They had walked from their workplace to the Italian restaurant just around the corner. Many people from nearby offices spent their lunch break here, their loud talking and the clinking of silverware filling the dining area. The rustic décor and framed oil paintings on the walls gave the establishment a cozy atmosphere. Each round table was covered in a cream-colored tablecloth and decorated with a small candle. Soojin and Jeno were very lucky when they arrived since they got the last empty table and took a seat. Jeno immediately knew what he wanted to order (his favorite pizza) while Soojin studied the menu and decided to try spaghetti Bolognese. They chatted as they waited for the dishes to arrive, sipping on their drinks.

“How’s Baekhyun doing?” Jeno asked. His quirky smile was contagious, brightening his features.

“Oh, he’s great! The doctor allowed him to start working out again after his check-up this morning, so he immediately ran off to EXO’s gym with Chanyeol,” she laughed. “I’m really glad he’s doing better. You should have heard him whining when he was stuck at home in bed. I almost had to tie him down because he didn’t want to rest. He has ants in his pants, I swear…” Soojin rolled her eyes, snorting at the image of her sulky fiancé. It was unbelievable this man could pout like a child and also pull off the role of a super hot villain… Not that she would ever tell him she found his Number Four persona y. The risk was too great. Baekhyun loved teasing her; it was practically his hobby, and he would sink his teeth into this juicy piece of information.

“Working out is good! He’ll be back in shape in no time. I still can’t believe you guys stopped an entire criminal organization, insane. It’s like a James Bond movie,” Jeno grinned.

Torn between laughing and cringing at the comparison, she shook her head. “Jeno.”

“Don’t look at me like that, Soo! It’s true!”

“Be honest with me. How many movies did you watch while I was gone?”

“Don’t know, ask Taeyong or Ten. I lost track after a while. To be honest, I was worried about you… it not being able to contact you at all, and I needed a distraction. The other NCT members took turns watching movies with me almost every night.”

Soojin’s lips parted, her features softening. “Aww, Jeno. I wish I could have sent you a message at least… I don’t like to make people worry. But… it’s over now.” She twirled a lock of her blonde hair around her finger, releasing a breath. “I’m glad to be back.”

“You know, it’s kind of weird to see you with blonde hair all of a sudden,” Jeno said, leaning back in his chair.

“I decided to keep it because I like it, but I’ll switch to black when my roots become too noticeable. Baekhyun dyed his hair black as soon as the mission was over, though. Such a waste… His silver-white hairstyle was gorgeous. But I get it. He wants to leave the mission behind for good, including his secret identity.”

“Hm, makes sense to me. Didn’t you say he was undercover for three years?”

“Yes. That’s an insanely long time. He’s been working hard and needs a break. I’m sure he’s looking forward to our vacation... Only three more days until it starts.” She put her chin on her palm and gazed out the window, watching people passing by outside. The couple would fly to Australia for two weeks and stay a few days in New Zealand as well. She was looking forward to it—since Baekhyun had recovered from his injury, and the mission reports and Son’s trial were handled, nothing stopped them from taking time off. 

“You and your partner have become so close… it’s pretty cute,” Jeno commented, lips curling in amusement. Two cute dimples appeared on his cheeks. “That reminds me, I wanted to tell you something.”

“Yeah?”

He lowered his head and gazed at the tablecloth before he looked at her again. She discovered a suspicious flush on his face. “I started dating someone recently. She’s not an agent, which complicates things a bit, but so far things are going great.”

A giggle bubbled in Soojin’s throat—she couldn’t hold it back. “Ahh, Jeno! You’re adorable!!” she squealed in a rather uncharacteristic outburst of emotions.

“Stop that, Soo! People are staring at us!”

“Who cares? I want to meet her! I’m curious about the kind of woman you would date. You should invite her as a plus one to my and Baekhyun’s wedding.”

“Okay, I’ll ask her if she wants to. We’ll just have to keep some work-related secrets.” Jeno smiled contently. “I can’t wait to introduce her to my friends.”

 

 

“You want to surprise her? Are you really Baekhyun, or did the actual Baekhyun get abducted by aliens?” Chanyeol raised his eyebrow as an amused smirk grew on his lips. “You two fought constantly when she first joined EXO, and now you’re engaged. That’s pretty wild—I’m getting whiplash here. Seriously, though, your decision to push her away was dumb as hell.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Shut it, Yeol. I asked for your opinion on my idea; you don’t have to remind me of my past mistakes.”

The agents were dressed in light sports clothing, bathed in the artificial lights of their gym. They had finished their workout for the day and sat on a bench at the wall. Both were drenched in sweat and feeling absolutely drained, looking forward to a nice shower.

“Alright, alright. Your idea sounds good to me,” Chanyeol grinned. “Didn’t you mention she loves driving fast cars? It’s definitely a great plan for a surprise.”

“Okay. I’ll make a booking as soon as I’m home tonight.”

“She will love it,” Chanyeol said and chuckled at the sudden smugness that overtook his friend’s expression. “Your vacation will be amazing… I’m kind of jealous.”

“Only three more days… Then we’ll finally board the plane,” Baekhyun sighed and gazed at the ceiling lights of the gym, imagining the impressive landscape of Australia’s outback. The country had been on his travel list for a long time, but his endless undercover mission had kept him from leaving South Korea. His presence had been necessary in order to deceive the Red Force. Leaving Busan for more than two or three days had been out of the question for him. His anticipation for his first actual vacation in more than three years was beyond words. And to make it even better, Soojin would join him.

Their bond had deepened considerably after the mission’s conclusion. They were a romantic couple, partners at work, and best friends all at the same time. Soojin knew all of his habits and preferences, no matter how silly they were—from his love for gummy bears to his obsession with motorcycles. And he, in contrast, knew how much she adored crochet, a hobby that wasn’t necessarily expected of a special agent. He sometimes looked over her shoulder when she created a tiny animal from a ball of yarn, but he couldn’t make sense of the techniques she used. Whenever she tried to explain it to him, they ended up laughing tears at the mess of yarn he ended up with. The couple shared so many beautiful memories, and their disastrous breakup no longer overshadowed them.

“How are the wedding preparations going, by the way?” Chanyeol asked, drawing Baekhuyn’s gaze to him.

“Soojin took charge of them. She, Seungwan, and Seulgi have been meeting up to discuss details. I told Soojin to choose whatever she likes the most; her favorite venue, food, and decoration. If she needs my help, she’ll let me know. I’m happy with anything she chooses, and we still have plenty of time to finish everything. Two months, to be exact.”

Again, a laugh escaped Chanyeol. “You’re such a simp for this woman; it’s unbelievable.”

“I’m not a ing simp, what are you on about?”

“Come on, Baekhyun. You’re getting married to your partner, the only woman capable of kicking your ,” Chanyeol smirked. His playful taunting hit its mark, and Baekhyun’s expression shifted, showing mild annoyance and amusement.

“The latter is up for debate.”

“It’s really not.”

Baekhyun groaned and ran his hand through his sweaty black hair. “Did you come here just to be annoying?”

“What if I said yes?”

“Then I will kick your .”

“Nah. My is well-protected.”

Baekhyun managed to hold his gaze for three seconds before he burst out laughing, doubling over. His shoulders were shaking, and tears sprung into his eyes. His laughter was infectious, and it didn’t take long for Chanyeol to join in.

 

 

The intense workout left Baekhyun exhausted. During his recovery period, he had not been allowed to strain himself, so his muscles needed to get used to exercising first. He would be very sore tomorrow, especially in his biceps and triceps, but it would be worth it.

When he and Soojin went to bed that night, he fell asleep almost instantly. The comfortable mattress gave in to his weight, and he pulled the cover up to his shoulders. He was enveloped by the familiar smell of fresh detergent, blended with Soojin’s new shampoo. She had washed and dried her hair before going to sleep and now snuggled up to him just as he loved it. He spooned her, their legs tangling and his arm resting on her side. Falling asleep was easier this way since her presence had a calming effect on him. Just knowing she was there made him feel at ease. Their forced separation had left marks on him, whether he liked to admit it or not.

Baekhyun’s breaths were even, warm air ghosting over the nape of her neck as they slept. Their bedroom was silent and almost pitch-black, except for the faint glow of streetlamps and neon signs reaching inside. A misplaced noise awoke him ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter