re:venge

re:start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]re:venge[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Chapter 8[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

 

Work didn’t get boring while Baekhyun was on sick leave. This week, Soojin and Kyungsoo carried out a cyber-financial crime investigation in partnership with other law enforcement agencies. Junmyeon had entrusted it to them because it was one of the fields they both specialized in. Their task was time-consuming and required them to concentrate, so they sat next to each other in dead silence, eyes fixed on their computer screens.

It was the first time that Soojin worked in a team with someone from EXO other than Baekhyun. While it felt a little strange without her partner, it was an interesting change. Soojin liked Kyungsoo’s company and how calm he was compared to Baekhyun, however, she wouldn’t have minded if he had been a bit more talkative. Eventually, the agents discussed their progress and findings, sending relevant information to the law enforcement agencies they worked with—arrests would be made soon, thanks to their effort and expertise.

“We got so much done this morning! I’d say we earned an extra large dessert after lunch,” Soojin said when they were done with their assignment after it had kept them occupied for days. Stretching her arms and back, she sat up straight in her chair and met Kyungsoo’s eyes over the edge of his computer screen.

“Yeah. I think we make a good team, Soojin,” Kyungsoo said, smiling faintly. It was an expression he didn’t show often since he was a rather serious person. He pushed his black-rimmed glasses up his nose and glanced at the clock hanging on the wall. “It’s already lunchtime! Oh, that reminds me, Chanyeol asked if we want to join him, Jongdae, and Minseok for lunch. Are you coming?”

“Yes!” she smiled.

After they shut down their computers, Soojin grabbed her purse and put on a light jacket before they headed outside to meet Minseok, Jongdae, and Chanyeol in front of the building. They were already waiting when Kyungsoo and Soojin arrived, looking impatient and hungry.

“You’re so slow!” Minseok whined.

“We’re hungry,” Jongdae added with a pout.

“Sorry, but not everyone is irresponsible like you and leaves early for break,” Kyungsoo shot back and gave each of them a death glare. Soojin held in a giggle when Minseok and Jongdae paled considerably. “If Junmyeon hears about this, you’re finished.”

“He won’t know if you won’t tell him,” Chanyeol grinned, all too eager to annoy his partner.

“I might just tell him now,” Kyungsoo growled, glaring at the taller man. Still, Soojin could tell that he wasn’t being serious about it—his lips twitched amusedly.

“Where do you want to eat lunch this time?” Soojin asked.

“How about that Italian place around the corner?” Chanyeol suggested and everyone nodded in agreement.

“Sounds good to me,” Jongdae said and they walked towards the restaurant. Soojin had been there before and knew that the food was very good, so she looked forward to it. Humming a happy tune, she walked in between Minseok and Jongdae who both threw her amused glances.

“You’re in a good mood,” Minseok commented with a grin.

“Yes, it’s because Kyungsoo and I just accomplished something big! Our investigation was successful.”

“As expected from our cyber security specialists,” Jongdae said, tilting his head. “Minseok and I usually focus on other kinds of missions.”

“What kind of missions?”

“Undercover operations, most of the time. Our success rate is pretty high, so I would say we’re one of the best teams in EXO,” Jongdae explained smugly.

“Hey, Kyungsoo and I are definitely better than you!” Chanyeol protested loudly. He was walking behind them and had listened to their conversation along with his partner Kyungsoo.

“You’re not nearly as skilled as Jongdae and I,” Minseok chirped, trying to provoke the hotheaded agent a little.

“What about me and Baekhyun, huh?” Soojin cut in, crossing her arms. “Don’t forget about us just because he’s on sick leave.” Silence fell over the group like a blanket. All four men stared at her as if she had lost her mind. She grew uneasy under their scrutiny, fidgeting with her purse as they walked down the sidewalk.

“Uh, did I say something wrong?”

“No,” Minseok smiled, his eyes crinkling at the corners. “It’s just that I’ve never heard you call Baekhyun by his first name.”

“O-Oh.”

“Don’t be embarrassed,” Jongdae said and nudged her with his elbow. “I can imagine how difficult it must have been for you to work with your ex-fiancé and I also understand why you’re reluctant to trust him. However, it’s great to see you two warming up to each other. Keep calling him by his first name, I’m sure he’s happy to hear it.”

dropped open in astonishment as she gazed at the black-haired agent. Jongdae was more empathic than she had thought—all four of them were kind people and tried to include her as much as possible when they spent time together. Now she regretted not joining them more often. Their company was enjoyable. Perhaps she could have lunch with them more often—it sounded like a nice idea.

“Baek would be ecstatic!” Chanyeol added and caught up to her, giving her a cheeky wink. “I want to see his face when he hears his first name from your mouth. He’s going to faint.”

“Yeah, I want to see it too!” Minseok chuckled. “It’s going to be hilarious.”

“I honestly doubt that Baekhyun would be happy to hear you gossiping about his love life,” Kyungsoo deadpanned.

“L-Love life?!” Soojin echoed, cheeks reddening in embarrassment.

“He hasn’t had a girlfriend in a while,” Jongdae revealed conspiratorially, leaning closer to her. “Don’t you want to try your luck? I’m certain he’s up for a relationship, especially with you.”

She was glad they reached the restaurant at precisely this moment, so she didn’t answer Jongdae and hurried inside. He laughed quietly and followed her along with the others, picking a table close to the windows so they could see the busy street. Soojin proceeded to stick her nose into the menu, hiding her burning cheeks from view until the waiter came to take their order.

“How is Baekhyun, anyway? I was surprised when you called me so late in the evening,” Chanyeol went back to their earlier topic, and Soojin held in a sigh.

“What happened, what happened?” Minseok asked, squirming around in his chair.

“Baekhyun called me while he was drunk and whined at me, that’s why I asked Chanyeol to give me his address so I could check in on him. Found him sitting on the ground in his bedroom acting like a stubborn child,” she recounted.

“Ohhhh, drunk Baekhyun is hilarious as ,” Jongdae laughed, disappointed he had missed the ensuing spectacle.

“Yeah, you don’t need to tell me that... He was whining in my ears until I made him go to sleep,” she answered. “And in the morning, he didn’t recall anything. I scolded him and made sure he remembers to rest until he recovers from his injuries. Hopefully, he’ll listen.”

“He will. He has a soft spot for you,” Chanyeol said and flustered her with his words.

“He doesn’t.” She cleared , playing with her napkin.

“Oh yes, he does. Why don’t you visit him again later to check in on him? He would love to see you. And besides, he’s stuffing his face with unhealthy instant noodles when he is on sick leave, so you could prepare a better alternative for dinner.”

She pondered over it, leaning her chin on her hand as she watched Chanyeol, her eyes getting stuck on his unusual dark red hair. “Hm… maybe I should,” she mumbled.

“And help him change his bandages! Wouldn’t want his injury to scar,” Jongdae said, wiggling his eyebrows.

“You guys will be the end of me.” She sighed in defeat when her heartbeat sped up at the sole thought of visiting her partner again.

 

 

Late in the evening and despite being tired from work, Soojin found herself in front of Baekhyun’s apartment, a bag filled with groceries in her hand, ringing the doorbell. She could have just entered on her own since she knew the code, but she respected his privacy and didn’t want to intrude. Especially since the situation between them was complicated at the moment. Their relationship was quite strange—Soojin didn’t know how to describe it. Were they colleagues, friends, acquaintances? Or something else entirely?

The door opened and Baekhyun stuck his head out, his hair looking messy. He was wearing his pajama and she heard the muffled sounds of the TV in the background. His eyes widened when he saw her, not having expected her to visit.

“S-Soojin?” He stared at her as if she was a ghost and didn’t move a single centimeter, blocking the doorway.

“Yes, that’s my name,” she replied sarcastically. “Good evening, will you let me in?”

He nodded and made way for her, closing the door behind her. “What are you doing here?” he asked, and the blatant disbelief in his tone hurt her a little… Did he think she would let him fend for himself when he was injured? As his partner, she wanted to provide support when he needed it. He had done the same for her during previous missions, for example, when she had been injured and unable to fight. Baekhyun had rescued her and thus saved her life—Soojin wasn’t the type of person to forget such an act.

“I’m making dinner,” she explained and blushed under his intense stare. Quickly passing him, she walked to the kitchen and put the groceries on the counter. Hearing his footsteps behind her, she knew that he had followed her.

“Ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter