Chapter 17

Since You've Been Gone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jackson sat down on his bean bag in his room with a grunt. He was getting incredibly bored at home.

Stupid Mark, if he hadn't forced him to go away then he wouldn't have had to lie to Youra about an interview, meaning he could be at her house right now.

Just because he's in love with her doesn't mean Mark can have her all to himself. I love her too!

Well, not the way he does but whatever.

He leaned forward and rested his face in his palms, tapping a finger against his temple. He was getting restless from not having anything to do.

He figured the logical answer to this problem was to actually look for an internship that he could apply for. He had good grades, was a good speaker and on a general basis was someone who could easily get a job if he really wanted to but who was he kidding?

He didn't want to spend his last few weeks of holidays working, he wanted to spend it with Youra and Mark.

He had been having these random episodes where he would find himself unable to sleep and sometimes unable to function because his mind was engrossed in the possibility that this year would be the last year he had with his two best friends.

Youra and Mark had both in passing (on separate occasions) mentioned how they would want to go back to the US at some point or the other and live there for the rest of their lives.

Both of them were planning on doing their masters there and it was only when he was talking to them about their future education that it hit him.

They were almost done with their undergraduate.

Jackson himself still had one year left because he was a year younger than them, but they were going to start their last year of university.

Soon they would start applying for American universities, and they would leave him all alone in Korea.

One of the reasons why Jackson had considered going back to China for his UG was precisely because of this. He knew that at some point, due to their , they would have to split up.

So he figured that maybe it would be best to nip the bud right then and there, it would make things easier for him.

But in the end, he stayed with them because they were all he knew.

Jackson had always been a social butterfly growing up. Mark and Youra often joked that there was a high chance that he could meet someone he knew almost every time he stepped out the house. He was just that popular, but the only deep relationships he had formed were with Mark, Youra and their siblings. This group of Asian-American kids who were all family friends, these were his people.

These were the people that understood him best.

And there seemed to be an unsaid agreement between all of them that they could all be who they truly were, without having to worry about being judged or criticised.

They were all he knew.

So the thought that they would have to split up at some point in the future was almost numbing, like it rendered him paralysed. The thought that he wouldn't get to see the people he loved and cared so much for on an almost daily base was so terrifying.

Which was why he had told himself at the start of the year that he would have to cherish the time he got with these people to the best of his capabilities, lest he ended up regretting not doing so.

Screw this! He thought.

He got up and grabbed his phone before storming out his room.

He was going to spend time with Youra even if it killed him. He could just come up with an excuse as to why he hadn't gone to his internship.

He could say he bunked work to see her or that he missed her or-

Wait a second.

He had told her that he had an interview.                

He didn't mention actually having a job.

He smacked his forehead at how stupid he was.

This was so simple. He could just tell her he didn't get the job.

What an idiot.

He shook his head before walking to the main door. He unlocked the door and was about to walk outside when his phone chimed.

He walked out the door and closed it behind him before looking at his phone.

CY: Hey, you busy?

JW: Nope, in fact I'm heading over right now.

CY: Cool, let yourself in.

He looked up from his phone to see Youra standing by the window in her house, smiling. He smiled back and waved before crossing the road and making his way to her. He patted his pockets for his key and was about to put it in the keyhole when Youra opened the door.

He leaned against the door frame, amused. "What happened to letting myself in?"

"I'm too restless for that. Come in." She practically pulled him inside.

She closed the door and he stared at her, now slightly worried. "Youra, is everything okay?"

"What?" She snapped her head at him, snapping her fingers repeatedly. A habit she had picked up as the equivalent of bouncing her knee up and down when she was restless or bored. "I'm fine. Listen, do you know anyone who goes to or used to go to KUBS?"

He blinked at her. What was she expecting him to say? You-Jin noona used to go there.

"Noo...na?" He asked unsure.

She clicked her tongue at him. "Not her, anyone else? You know everyone, surely you know someone who goes there."

"Oh." He thought about it for a while, tapping his lip. "I think I do. Wait, let me check."

Jackson opened up his Instagram and searched for a certain account. She sort of recognised the name, Choi Minho, but she couldn't exactly place it anywhere.

He scrolled through his posts and showed her one. It was of him standing in front of the main campus with some friends.

Her eyes widened when she recognised two of them. She took the phone from his hand and gaped at the photo.

What were the chances that the one guy Jackson knew happened to be friends with the guy she was looking for?

Jackson looked at Youra, confused. Why was she looking for someone who went to KUBS? Surely, she could contact one of noona's friends if she was looking for someone from there. What was the name of that girl that was always over?

Mina, no that wasn't it.

Myra?

Oh, Mira.

Right, right.

She was actually really pretty now that he thought back to her. She had a nice smile too.

Jackson shook his head and looked at Youra who seemed to be deep in thought.

"Hey, mind explaining what's going on?"

"Can you call him and ask him if he's still at school?"

"What?" He knit his brows at her. "Listen, I'm not doing anything until you tell me what the hell is going on. This is like the third time I've asked you."

"I found the guy noona mentioned in her letter. Remember? His name was Ki-Bum. Anyways, I wanted to drop by campus to talk to him but I didn't know if he was still at school or not. That's why I asked you if you knew anyone at KUBS, and you do! You know the exact person who would know whether he's at school or not."

She showed him the photo of Minho and Ki-Bum with two other boys and pointed to Ki-Bum. "That's him, that's the boy noona used to like."

He took the phone from her and looked at the person in question. He looked familiar...

"Oh! That's Key hyung."

"You know him?" She asked, sounding incredulous.

"I didn't know his name was Ki-Bum. Minho hyung introduced him to me as Key. I have his number too though."

"You do??" She asked. "Oh my God, Mark and I were right. You do know everyone!"

He shrugged. "Comes as an advantage of being naturally charming."

She ignored him. "You think you can ask him if he's still at school?"

“Sure, but Youra, have you thought this through? What are you going to say to him?”

“I don’t know yet, but I know that this is something I want to do. I don’t know why but it just is.” Youra reasoned. It was true, she had no idea what she would say to him if she saw him but a part of her was telling her that maybe meeting Key would help clear things up.

Jackson nodded. “Alright, I’ll call him.”

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” She hugged his arm. “You truly are a Godsend, I’d probably kiss you if you weren’t like a brother to me.”

Jackson wrinkled his nose in distaste. “Ew, Youra.”

Just then an idea struck Jackson.

“What about Mark though?”

“Huh?” Youra looked at him, puzzled.

“If Mark was the one helping you, would you have kissed him?”

“Would you just call Key already?” A blush steadfastly rushing up her cheeks and neck.

“Not until you answer my question, yes or no?”

Youra opened to say no but she found herself unable to. She thought back to the night of the sleepover, their faces so close that if one of them had moved forward, their lips would have touched. She wondered what that would be like, having his lips on hers, caressing her softly with a smile playing on his lips, that she could feel on her own.

“I’ll take your silence as a yes then.” Jackson quipped, breaking her away from her reverie much to her sub-conscious dismay.

“Shut up.” She mumbled as she made a feeble attempt to hit him.

He snickered before dialling Key’s number and putting it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter