fourteen.

When Roses Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mari bolted upright, fingers clenching the sheets beneath her in a solid iron grip. White-hot tears stung her eyes that clouded her vision until she blinked them back hastily, her palms coming up to press it firmly against her lids. The sickening laughter of a man with the skidding of chains along a cold, steel floor echoed behind the back of her head. The sound resonated painfully in her ears like a never ending nightmare, and sweat dripped down her forehead like a steady stream.

 

Her clothes were now stuck to her body like a second skin from another session of her nightmares; the image of a faceless man striking a chord of fear within her heart. She didn’t feel safe anywhere, especially not by herself, and Mari quivered in her large bed when she heard loud voices accompanied by hushed whispers from outside her room.

 

Flinging the covers off her, the ice cold chilly air of her room hugged her legs rather rudely. Mari ignored the sensation as she tipped toe to her door, her ear pressed against it to listen to the commotion outside. A familiar, feminine voice could be heard, followed by Chanyeol’s deep voice laced with almost a warning tone. Judging by the apparent distress in his voice, Mari could picture her fiance frowning from outside.

 

What was going on?

 

“I know, I know, but I promise—” the woman cut herself off when Mari exited her room, her browns drawn together as she watched Chanyeol try to calm his mother down. Mrs. Park bounced on her feet with Chanyeol’s hands resting on top of her shoulders, and even though only his back was facing Mari’s view, she could still notice the tension that stiffened his shoulders. Mrs. Park’s eyes lit up at the sight of Mari in her pyjamas, though, pushing past her son as she made her way in Mari’s direction. “Oh, Mari! There you are!”

 

Mrs. Park crushed her in a warm, motherly hug. Mari stiffened at her touch, but soon relaxed when Chanyeol’s eyes bore into hers, the former distraught expression he had now replaced with something that looked like comfort. Awkwardly, Mari reached a hand up to pat her in the back. “Mrs. Park. What brings you here?”

 

Mrs. Park pulled away, the bright smile she had on her face still intact. She held Mari at an arm’s length away from her, looking her up and down with a chuckle falling past her lips. “I’m so glad you look well! You see, I was going to come here the moment I heard you were feeling sick, but Chanyeol insisted that I was just going to make things worse,” she rolled her eyes, placing a palm on top of her chest. “Can you believe that? Me, his mother? He’s acting like I didn’t nurse him back to health when he was a little boy.”

 

The heartstrings that Mari had tried so hard to control tugged at her words, a warm sensation washing over her at the thought Mrs. Park had actually been concerned. A genuine smile made its way to Mari’s face, although she tried to not show it too much. “I’m feeling so much better now, Mrs. Park. You didn’t have to come here, you must’ve been busy with work.”

 

“Family before business, Mari,” she dismissed with a wave of her hand. “That’s what I taught Chanyeol. And I’m so glad you’re feeling better now. I must say, I’m surprised Chanyeol even knows how to take care of you when he grew up spoiled and pampered. I actually thought he wouldn’t even have the slightest idea. He can’t even take care of himself sometimes!”

 

“Mom.”

 

“Oh, right, it’s probably wrong to in front of his new fiance,” she giggled shamelessly, causing both Chanyeol and Mari’s cheeks to heat up significantly. If Mrs. Park noticed the slight changes in their behavior, she acted innocent and unaware of it. “Now, Mari, since you’re feeling better, what do you say we all go out today?”

 

“I would love that,” she nodded softly, glancing back at Chanyeol who was only watching them with the tips of his ears still red. Mari’s heart could not find peace inside her at the mention of the word ‘fiance’, so she felt proud of herself she was able to control her facial expressions. “But I think I’ve kept Chanyeol around for too long. He probably missed a lot of work already.”

 

“It’s okay, Mari. I’m going golfing with dad today. I took the day off.”

 

“Oh, you’re not going with us?”

 

Mrs. Park squeezed her shoulder, turning her attention back to the excited woman. “I’m so sorry, Mari. I understand you may have wanted to spend time with him, considering you’re newly engaged and all—” she giggled again, while Chanyeol forced a cough behind them. “—but, listen, I have everything planned out today already. We’re having a girls’ day out!”

 

“A…girl’s day out?”

 

“Yeah, you know, where we all just relax and go shopping. I promise you’ll have so much fun! Besides, you two just got officially engaged!” she reached out to slap Chanyeol on the shoulder, to which he whined at. “It was about time, son. You made her wait long enough already.”

 

“I already said I was sorry about that.”

 

“Oh, you’re one shameless boy, aren’t you? Did I raise you that way?”

 

Chanyeol opened his mouth to retort something back at his mother, but the poor man looked so flustered that Mari had to step in. “Will it just be the two of us?”

 

Thankfully, Mrs. Park took the bait. “Well, I invited my sister but she said she was busy or something. She’s always been like that,” she waved a hand, “Yui and Mina are coming with us, though. Oh gosh, I’m already so excited!”

 

“Mom, calm down,” Chanyeol reminded, coming behind his mother when Mrs. Park wouldn’t stop babbling.

 

She nodded to herself, the bright beam she had still intact. “Right, right. Of course.”

 

Mari smiled in amusement, jotting a finger behind her. “I’ll go get ready then. Oh, and where are we going?”

 

“It’s a surprise! But just wear whatever feels comfortable. It doesn’t matter.”

 

***

 

Mari settled for simple faded blue jeans with a coral white blouse, her feet clad in ballet flats and her hair up in a neat ponytail. Mrs. Park looked modest enough with her dark blue rompers and silver heels, the typical outfit for a normal shopping day, so Mari didn’t try hard to dress up. Not that she had anyone to impress since the fat ring on her finger assured her she didn’t need to try anymore, and Mari was absolutely beaming by the time they parted ways in the lobby to their respective cars.

 

“Fujiwara-san,” Yui greeted from the driver’s seat. Since they didn’t have any official events or matters to attend to, they didn’t bring more staff than what was necessary. “It brings me great joy you’ve recovered.”

 

Mari grinned. Whatever previous darkness that loomed over her thoughts faded instantly every time she recalled last night’s events. “I’m getting there. Listen…” she trailed off, scooting forwards in her seat until she was next to Yui’s ears. She could barely keep the excitement in her voice when she darted her hand forwards to show off her ring. “Chanyeol proposed to me last night!”

 

Yui, as nonchalant as ever, merely nodded at her announcement. “That’s good news, Miss.”

 

“And-and—” her voice dropped down to a whisper, suddenly feeling shy at her confession. “—and we kissed too!”

 

For a moment, Yui faltered. Her eyes glanced away from the road for a split second to look back at Mari through the rearview mirror. “You did?”

 

“Yeah! He was my first kiss. Can you believe that? I actually got to kiss my future husband! And he even said he likes me!”

 

Yui nodded as she took in every word Mari said. Meanwhile, Mari leaned back in her seat to study her ring with stars in her eyes, completely unaware that her secretary mulled over things with a dark look on her face. She quickly concealed it with a passive smile before Mari could see, and she looked back at her with relief evident in her eyes. “I’m very pleased to hear such news, Miss. I was getting worried there for a moment.”

 

Mari slowly dropped her hand. “Worried? Why?”

 

“Just,” she shrugged mysteriously, “It’s not that I don’t believe in any of you. I just had a feeling Mr. Park wasn’t easily impressed by people, and you’re not exactly an exception from that.”

 

“But he said I was smart and beautiful—something like that. Then he said ‘what’s not to like?’” Mari squealed, absolutely shaking with glee from the back seat. How could she even begin to properly express that her heart felt like it was going to burst and that her knees weakened at the sight of him? If it was possible, Chanyeol looked even more beautiful than he’d ever been, and Mari didn’t think her poor heart was capable of having room for others when Chanyeol made her heart his home. “Gosh, Yui. I feel like I’m on cloud nine.”

 

Yui hummed. “How have you been though? Have you been sleeping well or are you getting nightmares again?”

 

“I doubt those nightmares will come again,” she lied through her teeth, “Now that I’ve got Chanyeol’s ring on my finger, nothing can bring me down.”

 

“Careful, Miss,” warned Yui, “Place someone on a high pedestal, and they’re bound to fall off someday.”

 

Mari didn’t know what she meant by that, but she didn’t have enough time to ask her about it when they arrived at the mall. Mrs. Park exited her Audi with the two of them following her inside the department store where they were bombarded by expensive watches and glamorous dresses whose brand not even Mari could pronounce. She felt a little out of place with the extravagance under the golden chandeliers, but the salespeople inside looked accustomed and more than pleased at Mrs. Park’s presence that she had no choice but to become comfortable with it.

 

She was engaged to her son, after all, and being married to not only him and his family meant she had to fit into their lifestyles, even if it meant going to places that made Mari feel small.

 

“We’re going shopping first before we go to the spa. Figured you girls could use more color in your wardrobe,” she commented, eyes widening when she realized it must’ve come off rudely. “Not that you dress poorly, though. I just think it’d be better if you had wider options.”

 

Mari looked down at her outfit consciously the same time Yui bowed down to Mrs. Park. “Thank you for your concern, Mrs. Park. We are looking forward to spending the day with you.”

 

“Can we please drop the formalities?” interjected a light, airy voice. “It makes me feel uncomfortable.”

 

Mari’s eyes widened at the sight of the familiar thick, blonde curls, and she ran to engulf the taller woman in a hug. “Mina!”

 

The blonde woman seemed relatively equally pleased upon seeing her, because she wrapped her longer limbs around Mari’s smaller frame with a laugh. “Cute little heiress! Oh, how I missed you!”

 

Mari giggled as she breathed in Mina’s strong citrus perfume, feeling happy that she seemed to be using a hypoallergenic one as well. Pulling away from her at the same time Yui bowed down, Mari’s face contorted into a frown. “I didn’t see you around the office much.”

 

Mina scratched the back of her neck sheepishly, a warm flush coating her cheeks as she avoided eye contact. “I’m a little lazy…and most times drunk.”

 

“Mina!”

 

Mina winced. “Sorry, auntie. Please don’t tell Mom.”

 

“Your mother would kill you if she heard you slacking off at work,” chided Mrs. Park, causing the tension to thicken a little bit along with Mina’s ashamed stature. But then Mrs. Park grinned and nudged her shoulder against Mina’s. “You’re lucky I’m so much cooler than her.”

 

“Aww, auntie, this is why you’re my favorite!”

 

“I’m your only auntie,” she rolled her eyes, turning to the three of them. “Now you girls don’t hold back, okay? Everything is taken care of already. If you like something, don’t hesitate to get it. Go wild!”

 

To no one’s surprise, Mina was the first to bolt at Mrs. Park’s encouragement. What was surprising though, was Mina’s hands interlacing with Yui’s as she dragged the cold faced secretary in the shoes section, leaving Mari alone with her now mother-in-law. She thought it would be awkward especially now that Mina’s rambunctious energy was gone, or Yui’s familiar presence wasn’t near her, but Mrs. Park had enough enthusiasm and topics to go over that Mari wasn’t burdened with the responsibility of talking.

 

Mrs. Park was friendly and motherly enough that Mari forgot about her worries in that moment, her mind drifting off instead to the man that had put a ring on her finger. His mother was right; she did need more clothes. Mari had always been minimalistic as lavish things weren’t needed in her life when she spent most of it cooped up in the comfort of her own room, but she was in the real world now, not only as the heiress to her company, but soon to be Park Chanyeol’s wife as well. Time would come that their relationship would be revealed to the public and Mari had to make an appearance.

 

There was no way she was facing a camera beside her husband wearing nothing but dull, monotonous clothes when he always wore Dior and Salvatore Ferragamo.

 

“Don’t know what to choose?”

 

Mari’s attention was caught by Mrs. Park with a knowing smile, and she loosened her grip on the vintage long sleeve knit Chanel dress. “Not really, no,” she admitted shyly, “I’ve never gone shopping before. I already had everything I needed back at home...so I never saw the point of this.”

 

Mrs. Park gave her a gentle smile, brushing back a strand of hair behind her ear. Up close, Mari saw that Chanyeol resembled his mother’s wide, alluring eyes that shone with nothing but kindness and warmth. Even their gestures felt both assuring, and Mari unknowingly relaxed in her presence. “I actually brought you here in hopes I could cheer you up a little bit. I heard you’d been getting nightmares.”

 

“Did Chanyeol tell you that?”

 

“He told me little bits when I called to ask him how you were both doing. He didn’t go over the details, but I kind of figured,” she studied Mari’s hooded eyes. “If you want to head home now, we can go back.”

 

Mari shook her head, her gaze darting down to her feet. Mrs. Park stare felt a little intruding, and she wasn’t sure she was ready to open up completely to her yet. Nevertheless, she enjoyed spending time with her, and if she was going to be honest, she didn’t want to go back home either if Chanyeol wasn’t there. The idea of being alone right now had flown out the window. “No, I’m okay. I needed to get out too.”

 

Mrs. Park nodded. “I’m really happy it was you, Mari,” she murmured softly, “I think my son’s really lucky to have you. I know he’s not the best at expressing his emotions, so it would really mean a lot to me if you could be patient with him. He’s a really good man behind that intimidating facade. He just puts his walls up because we live in a harsh world. Which is why Chanyeol is…” she struggled to find the words, her brows knitting as she flicked through the rows of dresses in front of them. “...He doesn’t really take well to criticism. He’s always been sensitive when it comes to that, and I thought I’d let you know. My son isn’t like that because he’s vicious, rather, he’s just keeping himself safe.”

 

“I don’t doubt it, Mrs. Park,” reassured Mari. “He’s a really good person.”

 

“He hasn’t troubled you, has he?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter