Figuring things out

Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So it went well yesterday?" Sei asked, barely able to contain her excitement.

"I'd say so," Suyeon said. "I'm going to see him again next weekend."

Sei started bouncing up and down. "That's great! I'm so excited!"

Suyeon nodded. "Sunday afternoon we're going to the Leeum Samsung Museum of Art."

Sei got a confused look on her face. "Really? On purpose?"

Siuyeon nodded. "Hyun-Woo wants to be a painter. He's really passionate about art."

"Oh," Sei said quietly. "That makes sense then."

"And I've got more good news," Suyeon added, a smile lighting up her face.

"Really?" Sei started bouncing up and down. "Good news? Tell me! Tell me!"

"Our date next weekend is going to be a double date - the other couple will be Hyun-Woo's friend Min-Kyu and his date, Lucy." Suyeon paused to see how Sei reacted to this news.

Sei's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Our Lucy? Weki Meki Lucy? Going out with a guy none of us have ever met? Are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, she just turned 18."

Suyeon nodded. "Hyun-Woo turned out to be a great guy, so I figured any of his friends would be okay. Besides, I'll be there if she gets into trouble."

Sei looked dubious. "Well. . . okay, I guess. . . but don't let anything happen to her."

Suyeon rolled her eyes. "Like I'd let anything happen to any of our members."

"I know," Sei said, "but Lucy's the maknae. We've all got to watch out for her."

"She'll be fine," Suyeon said. "Besides, what can possibly happen to her in an art museum?"

'I don't know," Sei admitted. "I just want to be sure it doesn't happen."

"Well, like I said, I'll be there the whole time. She'll be fine."

Just then Lucy burst into the apartment. "Sei!" she called out, "did you hear? Suyeon found me a date for next weekend! If all goes well, I won't be the only one without a boyfriend!"

"Ummm. . . yeah" Sei said. "Lucy, do you even know anything about this guy?"

Lucy nodded. "He works at the same nightclub as Suyeon's guy, except he's a bartender instead of a bouncer. During the day he's going to art school. And look -" she held her phone out to Sei- "look how handsome he is!"

Suyeon watched Lucy putting on this act for Sei and wished that Lucy could be telling the truth instead. "Maybe someday," she thought, "but not today." 

Sei looked from Suyeon to Lucy and back again. "Looks like you two have everything worked out. Congratulations! What time are they picking you up Sunday? Will we get to meet them?"

Suyeon shook her head. "Their apartment is just as far from the museum as our dorm is, but from a different direction, so we're just going to meet them at the museum."

"That makes sense," Sei said, looking not entirely pacified. She grabbed Lucy's arm. "Come on, let's go practice your makeup for the big day."

As Sei pulled Lucy toward the vanity, Lucy looked over her shoulder at Suyeon, who couldn't do anything but shrug.

 

 

Later that evening, Lucy and Suyeon were sitting on Lucy's bed talking.

"Do I even have a face left?" Lucy asked, rubbing her cheeks. "Sei tried and removed so many products on me, it's a miracle I've got any skin left at all."

Suyeon laughed quietly. "It's just her way of showing she cares," she said. "She's really worried about you going on this date - she made me promise to be ready to protect you if something happened."

Lucy rolled her eyes. "Like anything's going to happen in an art museum on a Sunday afternoon."

"Well," Suyeon said, "Sei's all kinds of worried about you. You know, you're the maknae and she apparently thinks of you as a little sister."

"Well," Lucy said, leaning so close that Suyeon could feel her breath on her face, "I'm just glad you don't think of me as a little sister." She smiled deviously and started leaning ever closer.

Just then the door opened and Doyeon came in. "Hey!" she exclaimed. "What's going on?"

"Oh. . . ummm. . . ." Lucy sputtered.

Thinking quickly, Suyeon slapped her hand over her right eye. "I felt like I had an eyelash in my eye. Lucy was trying to see if she could get it out."

Doyeon grabbed Suyeon's wrist and pulled her hand away from her eye. "Let me have a look," she said. She pulled Suyeon's upper eyelid up, then her lower eyelid down, looking at her eye from all angles. "I don't see anything," she said. "Lucy must have gotten it out." She let go of Suyeon's wrist, got something out of her locker, and left the room.

As soon as Doyeon as gone, Lucy's eyes got huge. "That was close!"

Suyeon nodded. "Too close! We've got to be more careful."

"What can we do that we're not already doing?" Lucy asked with a pout. 

"I don't know," Suyeon said. "All I know is, we've got to be careful. All it takes is gettin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter