This is not a test

Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lucy walked into the bedroom and saw Yoojung sitting on her bed. "Want to go for a walk?" she asked.

Yoojung looked at Lucy, then rolled over. "No."

Lucy looked around to see that no other members could overhear their conversation, then sat down on the bed next to Yoojung. "Are you mad about somethinf I did?"

Yoojung rolled over and looked up at Lucy. "No," she said quietly. 

"Then what's wrong?" Lucy asked.

"Why does something have to be wrong?" Yoojung said. "What makes you think something's wrong?"

"Because you haven't been talking to me for the last couple of days," Lucy said, "and I can't remember the last time you turned down a chance to take a walk."

Yoojung sat up and gave Lucy a hug. "Oh, Lucy," she said, "I'm sorry I made you think I was mad at you. I've just got something going on that's worrying me."

"Oh, unnie," Lucy said, returning Yoojung's hug. "I didn't know. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Yoojung shook her head. "No, I don't want to burden you."

"It's not a burden," Lucy said. "You're my unnie!"

Yoojung smiled weakly. "That's really sweet of you," she said. "But it's really nothing you can help with."

"Well, if you're sure," Lucy said quietly. 

"Maybe we can take a walk another time," Yoojung said.

Lucy nodded. 

Rina came into the bedroom as this conversation was ending. "You looking for someone to go for a walk with? I'll go!" she said.

Lucy nodded. "Sure."

Lucy and Rina put their shoes on and went down to the park next to their dorm. They walked around the paths for a while, watching the other people in the park, talking about this and that. Lucy wanted to tell Rina about her and Suyeon, but she just couldn't bring herelf to do it.

After a while, Rina checked the time on her phone. "Suyeon's probably cooking dinner right now. We should head back."

Rina headed into the dorm with Rina trailing behind her. When they got into the apartment, Rina went to join the others at the TV while Lucy went to talk to Suyeon in the kitchen.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Suyeon asked. "You look like you've just heard terrible news!"

Lucy shook her head. "It's not that. I've just failed at everything I tried to do this afternoon. I tried to get Yoojung to go for a walk with me, hoping to cheer her up a little bit, but she wouldn't go. Then I went for a walk with Rina and we talked for over half an hour and I couldn't find a way to tell her about us, even though I wanted to."

Suyeon looked up from the onion she was chopping. "It'll be okay. Just because you weren't able to tell her today doesn't mean we'll never tell her."

"I know," Lucy said. "I just can't believe I couldn't tell her. I feel so stupid."

"Hey!" Suyeon said, putting the onion in a bowl and moving on to chopping carrots. "You're not stupid. You've just never had to do this. None of us have."

Lucy leaned against the counter. "I know. It just makes me feel so. . . indequate."

Suyeon put her knife down and gave Lucy a hug. "You're not indequate," she said. "We'll make it through this."

Lua woke up at 5, put in her earbuds, and the radio on her phone. The DJ was introducing Min-Jun. He asked Min-Jun how things were and there was silence on the radio. After a couple of seconds of silence, she heard Min-Jun's voice. "Sorry about that," he said, "I forgot to plug in my microphone. But otherwise things are going well."

"Well, you'd better be careful," the DJ said. "You're allowed ten seconds of dead air over the course of a career, and you just used two of yours."

Lua cringed, hoping this mistake wouldn't count against Min-Jun too badly. In between songs, the weather, and the traffic reports, the DJs bantered with the Min-Jun and each other. Lua thought it was entertaining - she was entertained, at any rate. She lay there listening in silence until she heard Sei get up. She followed Sei into the kitchen and helped her put on water for tea.

"How's Min-Jun doing on the morning show?" Sei asked. 

"Pretty good," Lua said. "He had a brief problem at the beginning where he forgot to plug in his microphone, but otherwise he's been doing great."

"Will that one foul-up be enough to keep him from getting the job?" Sei asked.

Lua shrugged. "I don't think so, but who knows what his supervisors will say. I'll talk to him later after he gets off the air and see what he thinks about it."

By this time the water had come to a boil. Sei and Lua made their tea, then sat looking out the window as they drank it. Sei finished her tea first and said "I'm going out for a run. Do you want to come?"

Lua shook her head. 'I'm going to stay here and listen to the radio. I want to hear all of Min-Jun's first day on the morning shift."

Sei nodded. "Have fun. I'll be back soon."

Soon after Sei had left, Rina came stumbling in, ru

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter