Indirect Confession

My Lovely Anonymous Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon POV

 

 

"Eat it. You must be hungry."

 

I looked at a box of sushi she put on top of my table that afternoon, around 11 PM when I was still doing the overtime at office. With her signature smiling eyes, she shaped a perfect smile on her curvy lips. It was the umpteenth times in a single month that I decided to stay longer at office, dealing with the overtime. I had the fastest promotion that only within a year, I managed to level up to senior position at the company. It was predictable though, besides I love my job, I worked really hard, like no other.

 

"Thanks, Tiff. You're so thoughtful."
"Are you done?" She moved closer and sat in the chair beside me. "I saw the last campaign plan. The creative idea for that ads is amazing. Really... No wonder the client loves it. You're a genius, Kim Taeyeon."
"The team had the great ideas."
"But you're the one who leads the team. Don't be too humble like that! You nailed it!"

 

We shared the laughter while enjoying the late night snack, releasing all the work pressure on the shoulders. Vaguely, I felt the image of her face all over again, and the incident that occurred that night. Since that night, I haven't contacted her again. I didn't have the guts to do so. I didn't know which one that made feel upset, and nervous about everything, the fact that we kissed in front of everyone —something I know she definitely doesn't like it, because apart from being her closest friend, she's a pretty secretive person, or the fact that I felt hurt by her decision, that she finally found the right person for her. My Jessica.

 

"Yahhh! You're lost. Did you even listen?"
"Uhhh... I'm sorry, Fany-ah. I'm so tired."
"I can see that." She caressed my bangs softly, then rubbed my cheek. "You're working too hard, sometimes. Loosen up a bit, Tae. You're still young. I mean, it's nice to see you working hard like that to achieve your goals, but then again, be nice to yourself. Actually, that night, I was so surprised that you could be wild like that."
"Nooooo. Let's not talk about it."
"Who's the girl you kissed? She's... beautiful."
"She's my best friend. We're so close since middle school." I smiled, was thinking about her once again. "And yes, she's beautiful. She's the girl everyone wanted even since middle school."
"And the fact she saved you that night. I mean, you could kiss anyone else."
"Does it matter? It's just a game anyway." I chuckled bitterly. Hell yeah, it's just a game. I'd rather kiss random girl than kissing Jessica like that —she didn't deserve it. I felt terrible for her to have such an awful friend like me honestly.

 

Tiffany smiled while tidying up our food scraps that were scattered on the table. I was stunned for a moment, felt tremendous fatigue and suddenly felt very sleepy. I looked at my watch, it was almost 12 and I had to hurry home. The distance between my office and my apartment is not too far, only about 12-15 minutes, so I usually walk by foot. Quickly, I tidied up my desk, put things into my bag.

 

"Are you going home now?"
"Yes. Let's go home together!"
"I didn't drive today. My car is being repaired. Are we going to call for taxi?"
"Let's walk home by foot?"
"Sure. Why not."
"I'm afraid it will hurt your feet, princess Hwang Miyoung."
"YAHHH! YOU WANNA DIE?"

 

I laughed harder seeing her fuming cutely like that. Tiffany, she's the closest one to me at the office. The girl who spent her education in US, decided to come home to Seoul, so she could be working closely with her little brother, Leo. After the accident that happened two years ago, unfortunately she had to lose her mother in it and the fact that her father abandoned both of his child... In short, Tiffany really hated it, her Korean name. She said it was an old-fashioned name —not in a good way.

After preparing, we walked out from the building and tightened our jackets as the wind was blowing hard —it's freezing. We both put our hands inside our pockets to make it warm and started to walk home while chatting. Tiffany has this bright personality that able to lighten up the conversation, so it's always a good idea to talk to her. Also, as an extrovert, she talks quite a lot and tells everything. I like how I could learn so many new things from her.

 

"So, you usually walk by foot like this since high school?"
"Yeah. I really enjoyed it..."
"Did you walk by foot after school with your best friend? That one." She referred to Jessica.
"Jessica? Yes."
"Ah... Her name is Jessica?"
"Yes. Like you, she's an American-Korean. Her family moved to Seoul during middle school time." I smiled to herself, remembering those good old days when we used to walk together after school, eating ice creaming, laughing over silly things.
"Taeyeon-ah, it's been almost a year I know you, but this is the first time you told me about her."
"We... We rarely communicate lately. I mean, we both are busy. Also, she has a girlfriend and started to develop the business with her too." I gulped softly, feeling it a little colder than before suddenly. "It's been a while since the last time I met her, before that party night."
"Oh... That must be for both of you. I mean, you two are so close. Don't you miss it to talk to her sometimes?"

 

Did I miss to talk to her? What a question. I was slowing down my steps as I let myself drown on the thoughts about what happened, about Choi Sooyoung, when the things suddenly changed into everything about her, the perfect girlfriend. I felt so immature to actually hold the jealousy inside me—not that I didn't want to see her happy and finally the right one, but yeah... there are so many "I miss you" for her left unspoken. I remembered my conversation with my big brother. He said, 'Everything's changed, without exception and as we grow older, we have to accept the fact that we might lose some, to get some.'. That time, I just didn't realize that it might include a friendship too.

 

"You're spacing out again..."
"I'm sorry... Guess I really sleepy." I scratched my head.
"We're just 3 minutes away, Tae..."
"Yeah..." I replied shortly. "I did still talk to her though, Jessica. But then again, I guess she didn't need me much nowadays since she has her girlfriend to accompany her anywhere. I guess she's happier. But don't get me wrong, she's still the closest one to me. Still, she's my best friend."
"You're funny..."
"Why is that?"
"You miss her a lot, don't you?"
"Huh?"
"I mean, you talked like she didn't need you or whatsoever. Tae, of course she needs you. You're her best friend. No matter how perfect her girlfriend is, you're still the closest one to you. I guess she will never be happier without you beside her. Babo-ya!"
"She'll move to Japan soon. She's so excited with her new business."
"Oh! Really? Are you okay with that?"
"Of course, I do... As long as she's happy with it."
"I guess you should..."
"What?"
"N-Nothing."

 

Tiffany's clipped words still made me curious about the sequel, but we had arrived in front of the apartment building. The cold night air made us immediately walk quickly into the apartment. I pressed the elevator button number 22, the floor of my apartment while Tiffany was on the 10th floor. We got into the elevator and was silent for a moment and I, returned with my disheveled reverie.

We were standing in parallel and in an instant, suddenly we looked at each other and in the next second, all I knew was her lips were touching mine very softly. I, who was shocked, couldn't react to anything and stared silently at her who closed her eyes tightly. That kiss, even though I didn't reply to it, shook me quite hard. During the past year, I did feel a different treatment from Tiffany. This cheerful and smart girl is a little too kind to me, she takes care of me as if I'm a very important person in her life. I understand that, even though I practically ignore all of that.

The sound of the elevator made us both return to reality. We've arrived at the 10th floor, the floor where Tiffany should have gotten out.  She opened her eyes and stared at the elevator doors, then moved forward a little to hold the button to keep the door open, then turned back to face me.

 

"For those words I haven't been able to say to you..." She bit her lips while looking down a little. "That night, at the party night, I really wished you... you pick me as the girl to kiss, but then your best friend came and took you from me. You know, Tae? I... I like you. I really like you."
"Tiffa—"
"No. Please. Just don't say anything for now..."
"I'm..."
"I think you need somebody to take care of you. I know it's been a while sin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter