Irony

My Lovely Anonymous Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hello... This is Taeyeon.
I'm a little busy by now, but if you have an important message, please send—"


Beep.


'Aish... Jinjja...'


Months changed into years and everything passed so quickly like it was nothing, that I couldn't even feel it anymore. Around a year ago, I received the news that we got another round of investment—a bigger one—so that the business has levelled up into the next tier. I couldn't be any happier to enjoy how my dreams, one by one started to come true, that all of my hard works has finally paid off. In return, I almost didn't have time for anyone, not even for Sooyoung who was so busy as well. We managed to meet at least once a month, trying to understand each other and luckily, everything ran smoothly for both of us.

I sipped a glass of Merlot while pressing the button on my handphone when my call reached the mailbox, all over again. Taeyeon. After that 'closure' that happened, I never managed to meet her in person anymore. I remember the day she told me that she earned a promotion and of course the new title consumed her time a lot, but since I kinda experienced the same pressure, I myself didn't pay attention on how long it had been since the last time we talk about simple things, all the things, like we used to.

I felt disappointed. It was my third call that week, but she was out of reach.

"Did you just try to call Taeyeon? Again?"

Stella stared at me. I didn't realize that she actually paid attention.

"Yeah..."
"And she didn't respond again?"
"I hope that I could meet her next month. We'll have a business meeting in Seoul for three days. I think I can spare my time to meet my bestfriend, but she didn't even respond to me."
"Of course you can. Even if you want to bail out from the meeting, I can always help." She raised her glass, a sign of a toast. "But then again, is she that busy, Taeyeon? I mean, Sooyoung told me that she didn't even response to her when she contacted her to come for your birthday months ago. I thought you both were fighting."

 

I gasped. I remember that night again, when I woke up in the middle of the night, alone in the apartment because I thought Sooyoung was in Los Angeles for business. I heard the bell rang several times and in an instant, suddenly Sooyoung and everyone: my sister, my parents, my business partner, surprised me with a birthday surprise that even I didn't notice it, that it was my birthday. Sooyoung shared that she had called Taeyeon to come over, but she was very difficult to contact. Of course I felt deep disappointment with her, but as we have already discussed. This is a consequence of being an adult. Taeyeon has fully rights to do whatever she wants.

"Nah. We both fine." I gulped. "You know... As we both are adults and busy, we might not meet each other as often as it used to. Taeyeon and I shared the same traits: ambitious. It's kinda understandable though..."
"You seem disappointed, Jess."
"I... I kinda miss her though."
"Of course you do. How long has it been?"
"More than a year, I guess? Or probably more than that. I can't even recall."
"It's fine to miss your own bestfriend though. You worked so hard." She smiled. Later she sipped her own glass before speaking to me again. "I think you should go meet her though when we're in Seoul. Don't mind about the meeting though... I can handle it. Beside, I've known what's going to happen."

 

I glanced at her, feeling curious, and without a single question, she gave me the answer.
"It looks like we're going to receive a new investment, and we have to settle the expansion in Korea." She explained. "Sooyoung told me earlier around last month. Also, that she's already asked Monica to find for somebody to handle business in Seoul, and probably in Tokyo too."
"Wait... What?"
"We had a meeting when we met in Osaka though."
"Why didn't she tell me all of this?"


She looked at me, as deep as the ocean, then remained calm.
"She will."
"I think I still can manage both."
"I think she has another plan for you."


After slowly gulping the remnants of wine in my mouth, I folded my hands over my chest while looking straight at Stella, who looked incredibly calm even though she caught a look of discomfort in me, as if I was going to shower her with endless questions.

"I wonder why do we get a lot of investment within couple years."
"Huh? Why? Sooyoung worked very hard on that... to support you."
"Yeah I know... but..."
"Our business have an excellent report card. In two years, we have developed quite a lot in both online and offline business. We're able to get through tough times with the GMV creeping upward, somehow." She reminded me. It was an incredible achievement indeed. "Don't worry too much. Sooyoung is a pro business woman. She did this for you."
"I can understand about the investment, eventhough it's something beyond me. But.." I took a deep breath. "But she wanted to hire people to manage the business in Japan and... Seoul later on. Then what am I gonna do?"

 

After typing a message on her phone for a moment, she looked back at me and smiled warmly. Her right hand stretched out to pour the wine back into her empty glass. In between, she chuckled a little while looking at me. Even though Stella is my business partner, with whom I have spent more or less four years with, I could never really feel that she's my close friend. I always get the impression that Stella is Sooyoung's best friend, not mine. The fact that she knows a lot about everything, including what she told me, that she knows more or less about all the plans Sooyoung has made for this business, and for me too, makes me feel completely helpless.

"And for that one, Jess..." She sipped her glass. "I think she has a plan for you too."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sooyoung is busy.
Taeyeon is gone.


I threw my body on the bed that night. Since my last conversation with Stella two weeks ago, I had been really on the edge. I hate the fact that I didn't know anything about Sooyoung's big plans, even I hate that the fact, even though it looks like I'm living my dream, I actually feel that I'm just doing my job as a small part of achieving my lover's dreams. That day, many preparations for expansion were discussed at a big meeting with Stella and other teams. I didn't say much because obviously, that's not really my expertise, and even though I've been in this business for four years, I still feel like I know nothing. I felt like I was far behind Stella, or even the other senior staff in my office. I know this might be an exaggeration but every so often I feel like a puppet driven by people who are more in charge of me than myself.

 

"I'm home..."

 

I felt a little surprised. It's 12 midnight. Suddenly I stood up and went to go to the living room, where I found Sooyoung leaning back on the sofa while slowly opening the blazer and buttons on her shirt. She took a deep breath before exhaling again and for a moment, she still didn't notice me beside her.

"Why are you here?"

She laughed softly.
"My girlfriend is not happy to see me home?"
"Ani... I didn't say that." I was indeed surprised. "I thought you'd be coming home on Saturday?"
"Plan's changed. Need to go to US for a couple week and take flight this Saturday."
"Oh..."

 

She glanced at me. Later she wrapped my body her arm while giving me a soft kiss on my forehead.
"Baby..."
"Hmm..."
"I... Hmm... I think you should take a rest now." I pulled myself and stood up. "Come on... Let's go to the bed and let you rest completely. You look so tired."

She pulled my arm softly so I sat in beside her again. Later she put her head on my shoulder where I started to her hair softly. "You worked a little too hard, don't you think?"
"Yeah..."
"Let's sleep now..."
"I believe you want to say something to me, don't you?"
"Let's talk later on. It can wait."
"What is it all about?" She held my hands. "You seem... distracted?"

 

We have been dating for almost five years and she clearly knew that something was wrong with me and I couldn't deny it was that I was really annoyed by what Stella was telling me that day, especially because until that moment Sooyoung had never discussed it with me.
"Ani..."
"Come on, Jessica..."
"I just..." A deep inhaled. "I just... Do you have a plan for my business? I mean, Stella told me about the expansion matters. Yes, I got it. But I also heard that you'd be hiring... I don't know. A country manager? To handle the business? My business? Without even telling me about it. I know you did a lot of things, there's actually nothing I could do without you. But don't you think I need an explanation for everything?"

 

She suddenly leaned back on the sofa and glared at me coldly. From the outline of her face, I could see that he was really exhausted and it was clear to see that indeed it was not the right ti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter