The Ring

My Lovely Anonymous Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I opened my closet and reached for a tin box that was quite worn out—the tin I've kept for years since high school days—but still keeps the important stuff inside. With a happy smile, I opened the box and tried to release my fatigue, my longing for home through the sweet memories that were stored. That day marked two years since my move to Tokyo and the business I was in with Stella Kim, Sooyoung's business friend who became the closest friend of mine, surprisingly generated a much bigger than expected profit, so we upgraded our stores a lot and also added two new outlets in Osaka. To be honest, I was quite shocked by everything because it was really dynamic, everything that was happening, but thanks to Sooyoung's relentless help and support, I pressed myself hard to overcome all kinds of doubts and obstacles that were facing me. I have been dating her for three years, and my opinion is still the same, she's the perfect girlfriend, the girlfriend everyone wished to have. Even sometimes, she's too perfect, I guess.

The first thing that caught my eyes was an old photo, the first box photo of me and Taeyeon when we were in the 3rd grade of middle school. I chuckled at the innocence of both of our faces while grimacing a little because I really missed the time I spent with her, a time that then felt so expensive because in the last three years, I've only seen her once—I met her at her house at Christmas night after calling her mother to help me with it—because since she lived in the apartment, her mother told me that she almost never came home because of her busy life in Seoul. I still remember vividly the last time I saw her: her hair was matted, there were black lines on her lower lids, and she spoke less and less. I felt quite hurt that the most important person in my life, became like a stranger.

 

"Taengo... Are you okay?"
"I'm fine, Sica..." She smiled softly. "Gwenchana..."
"Do you want this?"
"A chocolate bar?"
"It helps to build up the mood."
"Maybe if we were younger, it will help."

I was stunned for a moment, thinking about Taeyeon's words. Maybe she's right, a bar of chocolate can't help with all the problems in her life—because we're all grown up—and I know, with my limitations and her silence, the connection between us feels increasingly disconnected and I didn't know what to do.

 

 

Trying to distract myself from my longing for my best friend, I tried to look at some other items in the can and my eyes were fixed on a piece of chocolate bar wrap—the dark blue with gold touch—a chocolate bar from the brand that was quite rare I found even when I lived in the US, my favorite chocolate. I smiled at it and when turning it, I found something written in it:

 

"It's fine if you're a dreamer,
just don't forget to wake up!"
- PurpleStar

 


PurpleStar... Choi Sooyoung... Both of them are really people who inspire me. I was silent for a long time remembering some of my old memories when exchanging emails with PurpleStar, my cellphone vibrated when receiving incoming messages on my iMessage. It was a voice note, actually.

 

 

"Sica... I'm sorry I'm so busy...
So, I just red your messages.
I will fly to Tokyo next week,
but I'm not sure if we could meet
since the schedule's so packed.
Please, don't mad at me...
I will try to meet you!"

 

 

Again... She clearly pushed me away and I didn't understand why. Once, I talked to Tiffany Hwang, the closest one to her at the office, and she confirmed that Taeyeon didn't date anyone and clearly, the thing between Taeyeon and her was nothing but pure a friendship between workmates. Tiffany also told me that Taeyeon indeed changed a lot—she worked harder than ever—that sometimes even Tiffany couldn't be able to talk to her casually. Actually, Tiffany was the one who's assigned to attend the workshop in Tokyo, but for some reason, she rejected it and asked Taeyeon to replace her and the fact that she told me about it, I could sense maybe she wanted Taeyeon to meet me here in Tokyo. It's weird the way I felt that Taeyeon didn't want the same way.

 

I called her number right away after listening to her voice note.
She didn't respond to it, so I tried it again.

 

"Yeoboseyo..."
"KIM TAEYEON! I swear, if you didn't respond that last attempt, I will be so mad at you."
"Sica... I know you're mad already."
"So, you're really busy?"
"I am. I will always be."
"Arrasseo..."
"Can you wait for five minutes? I'm on the call. Be back to the meeting room soon." I heard she spoke to somebody else. Clearly, she didn't lie about her being so busy. "Sica, I'm sorry. I really am—"
"Gwenchana."
"Sica..."
"I said, gwenchana..."
"I'm—"
"I'm sorry that I disturb you. I know you're so busy. I'm calling just to tell you it's fine not to meet me despite I only managed to meet you once within these past three years. Have a nice d—"
"Sooyeon-ah..."

 

I was chocked. Her soft delicate voice calling me as 'Sooyeon', how to not fall over it?

"Don't Sooyeon me."
"Since I'm the only one who have the privilege to call you that, I'd still call you that."
I smiled secretly—of course, she couldn't see my face. "Really. Gwenchana."
"I will plan things better and meet you in Tokyo. Arra?"
"Don't be so hard on yourself like that."
"Ani... I..." She had not finished his words when someone called her name, notifying her that the meeting was about to start.
"Go... It's fine."
"Arraseo."
"Taengo, what was the thing you want to say?"
"Which one?"
"The one before somebody called you."
"Oh... It was... nothing."
"Oh."
"I... I-I wanted to tell you that I had to go back."
"I see. So, I'll see you soon?"
"I'll see you soon, Sooyeon-ah."
"Have a nice day at office, Taengo!"
"Kick your lazy , Sica."
"YAHHHH!"
She chuckled softly. I missed her a little too much. "Talk to you later, Sica."
"Bye, Byuntaengo."
"Bye, Byunsica."

 

I was just finishing my phone call with Taeyeon when another call came in, from my brother, Soojung. It was quite strange because Soojung Unnie almost nev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter