Part 10

Forsaken [Series]
Please log in to read the full chapter

“I don’t know about you but it feels so freeing to be out here like this,” you commented with a skip to your step, Youngjae casting an exasperated look in your direction as he hobbled along with a cane to support him.

“Oh yes, how very wonderful when there’s not a soldier in sight to protect us.”

“Precisely!” You spun around and then grinned at Youngjae. “We could even run away together now.”

“What about Jinyoung? Don’t you worry about his heartache?”

You grinned. “He’ll find me. He did after all these years.”

“You’re foolish to think the Gods above would give you another chance if you threw away everything now.”

“I know, don’t worry I’m joking. Being completely free right now is all a pipe dream. Especially since we’re not without a warrior either.”

“Please don’t go saying because you’ve played with some weapons that you can now protect us-” Angling Youngjae to the tree line, you pointed out the shadow that you had noticed following along twenty minutes prior. “Oh. Not you then.”

“Still, I have my dagger so if anyone tries anything in the village, mark my words, I’ll stab them with it! Fear not, Youngjae!”

“I still don’t feel comfortable with you, but knowing we have Jackson following us puts me completely at ease.”

“Why, because I’m a woman?!”

“No, because you’re used to stabbing trees and stuffed bags, not humans.”

“Come a little closer and I’ll stab you instead!” you grumbled, folding your arms across your chest.

Youngjae chuckled heartily then and with the look in his eye, you called it a truce.

You were grateful for Jinyoung letting you leave the base. You hadn’t thought he would allow you out of his sights ever again, not that you would blame him for being like that. Whilst you craved the world being brighter and fuller than it was within that mountainside, you knew you couldn’t cope without seeing Jinyoung for long either.

Half the reason you were moving so fast, you realised, was so you could get back to him before dark.

Still, it was nice to head out with Youngjae. You liked him a great deal and could tell you complimented one another as friends. You were excited that he was coming along with you on your escape to Nowhere, and were determined to protect him at all costs.

You weren’t joking when you said you would stab anyone who threatened his safety.

It was nice to be doing something outside of the forest boundary line though. If you could pull off this trip to town with Youngjae, then surely you would be up for more in the future. You were hopeful that once settled in your new place together that you and Youngjae could journey to gather supplies more often, and Jackson could do so at your sides, not lurking within the shadows as he had so far.

The trip to the village took most of the morning, and after grabbing the order and a meal at the inn, you headed back in the direction you had ventured from. It was an hour into your journey home when you were startled to find Jackson running out from under the cover of the trees towards you both, throwing Youngjae over his shoulder and grabbing onto your hand. Diving behind a derelict building and the verge of a tree line, Jackson signalled for you all to be silent as he peered out from behind the wall at whatever it was that threatened your travels.

“Must we-”

He silenced your hushed question and continued to look out towards the road. It was then that you heard thundering hooves, and with a glance around Jackson, you saw the flag of the Rebellion held within a couple of the riders’ hands.

They were another battalion. Pressing yourself against the wall as flashes of the day you were kidnapped plagued you, you weren’t even aware they had fully passed by until Jackson was shaking you out of your reverie.

“Y/N, we must hurry now!”

“Why did Jinyoung let me go out if he knew there could be a battalion on the…” You trailed off then, your thoughts racing as your eyes peeled in the direction of the camp. You started to run, panic coursing throughout you.

Jackson caught up with you and pulled you back to his side. “He’ll be okay; it was you he was protecting in the first place.”

“He sent me out because he knew they were coming?”

“We had a spy tell of our plans to leave the Rebellion. Jinyoung knew Argo and his hunting team would come to interrogate. If he found you there then-”

“Then?”

“It doesn’t matter. Let’s just hurry back to safety. Youngjae, come on!”

“Do you know who the spy is?” you asked once Youngjae was at your side and Jackson shrugged. “Well, surely you have suspicions?”

“The ones in the radio tower,” Jackson offered and Youngjae gasped noisily.

“BamBam and Yugyeom?! Surely not. They’re boisterous but good kids.”

“BamBam was the last to be transferred to our base. He’s always

Please log in to read the full chapter