Part 9

Forsaken [Series]
Please log in to read the full chapter

“I believe our plan has been compromised.”

Glancing at Mark in confusion, Jinyoung then grabbed the arm of his comrade and pushed him back into the seclusion of the forest boundary to the camp. Once satisfied that only the ears of birds and the Gods above could hear of them now, Jinyoung urged Mark to speak again.

“At our meeting last night, I felt we weren’t alone. I decided to look into things today.”

“You did signal for us that it didn’t feel right and we changed details out loud just to be safe,” Jinyoung mentioned, folding his arms across his chest. “What did you find to confirm your suspicion today?”

“Bugging materials.”

“Our own?” Mark nodded and Jinyoung cursed. “We have a spy within our camp then.”

This didn’t bode well with Jinyoung. He already struggled with endless concerns over you being so actively a part of this battalion. The men, whilst Jinyoung believe the majority wouldn’t cross paths with him knowing full well he would cut them down if they tried, weren’t all from the same background as he. Jinyoung had learned long ago that aside from the three men he had ridden out with from the beginning of his time in the Rebellion, not to trust anyone else.

Still, it frustrated him to know he had been housing and caring for someone who would betray him like this.

“One of the newer members?” Jinyoung suggested and Mark nodded.

“I’ll look into their backgrounds, see what the hunters have over their necks.”

It wasn’t the first time the Rebellion had placed a spy within his camp, trying to keep tabs on Jinyoung’s war efforts. Although it had irked him in the past, it had all been fruitless. He was an excellent leader, and whilst he knew of the harsher conditions in neighbouring settlements, he hardly felt that feeding his men well showed signs of betrayal to the overlord. If anything, well-fed men performed their tasks more willingly and Jinyoung was known for having one of the best plundering teams in the east.

Nothing had come forth from the findings by the spies in the past, and Jinyoung had believed nothing would fault him in the eyes of their Lord in the future either.

Until you came back into his world.

If the Rebellion learned of your existence, what would their actions be? Searching Mark’s grim expression, Jinyoung knew now there would be every reason to contest Jinyoung’s loyalty to those that they served.

Not that he gave a damn about that wretched loyalty now on the brink of escape.

Still, it sullied their plans. The group was almost about to embark on their departure and if someone was reporting that to the hunters then Jinyoung and his team wouldn’t get far. The reality of the dangers ahead of them were already stacking up as almost impossible to make it all out alive without having someone reporting their exact route south to the fishing boats to take away from this land. Now it would be practically impossible to leave this region if they didn’t think of a counteracting plan, and fast.

“You search the men, I’ll think of another way.”

“Onto it,” Mark announced, stealthily departing Jinyoung’s side. There, he leaned against a tree for some time, contemplating that of their fate.

He would still run. Even if there was only one percent chance of survival, Jinyoung was prepared to take it to get you out of this world.

 

“Why do you have to leave?”

Glancing up at Jinyoung’s subdued expression, you stopped packing clothes into your small suitcase. “I’m only going for a week.”

“Seven days without you sounds horrible.”

“Now who’s lovesick?” you mentioned with a coy smile, inwardly rejoicing over how much you meant to him. “My grandfather is ill and I have to spend some time with him before I cannot. Mother and I won’t be gone for long, and you can keep Papa company whilst I’m away.”

Jinyoung scowled at you before taking your hand. “If you’re gone, I can’t protect you.”

“As if you protect me now,” you retorted with a giggle, shaking your head loosely. “Why, if anything, it’s me protecting you!”

“Is that so?”

“I’ve kept you safe all these years, have I not?”

“Says the girl who falls out of trees, marches into the wintry depths of the lake when angry, and injures herself easily, all without a single care for her safety. Had I not been here, I doubt you’d have survived any of it.”

A radiant smile crossed your lips and stunned Jinyoung into awe, making you giggle once more at his evident affections for you. Leaning in to kiss his lips softly, you then whispered, “You’re truly my knight in shining armour, aren’t you.”

“I am, so how can I protect you if you’re not here?”

“Don’t worry,” you said, slipping the compass he had attempted to steal from you off of your neck and placed it around his instead. “This will guide you to me. If I’m am ever in trouble, you’ll know exactly where to find me.”

 

Watching you, oblivious to his current mood, Jinyoung couldn’t relax. He knew

Please log in to read the full chapter