Surprise.

Come and Find Me in the Clouds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Surprise.

 

 

“Welcome,” Youngsoon greeted the new flock of customers, guiding them to their table. “Here is the menu.”

 

“Actually we are here for the scones,” one of the customers spoke up. “Do you have any left?”

 

Tilting her head, Youngsoon glanced towards the kitchen quickly.

 

“I’m afraid we’ve run out for today,” Youngsoon stated apologetically.

 

“Ah so we didn’t make it in time?” Another person exclaimed in disappointment. “Will you be making more later today? Or perhaps later this week?”

 

“Since it’s in high demand we’ll definitely be continuing making them for the remainder of pumpkin season. You can keep an eye on our Instagram to know when what we have available and which of the limited items have run out,” Youngsoon explained. “I hope you aren’t too disappointed. Please do browse through the menu. Our pâtissier has quite a knack at making sweet stuff and definitely check out our recommendation of the day. We always make our desserts with the most fresh and in season produce and have specially chosen teas to match the flavours.”

 

Giving a small bow, Youngsoon shuffled towards the kitchen and peaked her head inside.

 

“Inside here it’s my domain.” A low voice floated towards Youngsoon.

 

“I know I know,” Youngsoon chuckled. “I’m not here to invade. Just wanted to let you know that more people asked for the scones. It might be a good idea to double the amount tomorrow.”

 

Eyeing the hot tray that was being taken out of the oven, Yoongi nudged Youngsoon to follow him out of the kitchen to not be in the way and avoid potential injuries.

 

“They’re just driven by whatever is trendy online,” Yoongi growled though he did have a smug expression over the fact that his baked good was gaining such traction. “Though as long as they buy other stuff as well and appreciate the taste I won’t complain.”

 

Youngsoon’s lips curled into a small smile while she tried to stifle a giggle. It was clear that Yoongi was enjoying all the attention his creations were receiving. However he was trying to cling onto the belief of art over commercial value because above all he was — quoting his own words — an artist and refused to be motivated by profit.

 

“Still.” Yoongi cleared his throat. “You deserve some credit for the scones this time.”

 

“Me?” Youngsoon pointed a surprised finger at herself.

 

Yoongi rolled his eyes. If it had been Irene saying that, he would have accused her of sarcasm and exaggerated modesty. However coming from Youngsoon, he knew that was honestly how she felt.

 

When Yoongi had first met Youngsoon, her disciplined and restrained behaviour did not meld well with his more rash and instinct-driven actions. She came off as too much of a push-over and the type to avoid conflict at all costs. To a certain extend his assumption had some truth in it; Youngsoon did her best to avoid conflict. However, she did so by trying to come up with a solution rather than avoid the issue and that was something  about the girl that Yoongi found himself admiring. Nonetheless, whenever Youngsoon swallowed back her thoughts while displaying a professional and pleasant smile, Yoongi had to hold back the urge to strangle her and choke out what she truly wanted to say.

 

If there was one thing he had learned over the years of working with Youngsoon was to never force her to do anything. She forced herself enough at work and he did not want to add to her stress. Thus, Irene had by default become his venting bag. While he was in charge of desserts, Irene was in charge of tea so the two of them had to spend plenty of time together and communicate constantly. They had their disagreements, however the thing that they always agreed on was to facilitate Youngsoon’s role as manager as much as possible and so far Yoongi liked to think that they had kept their word.

 

“Stop being humble and claim credit,” Irene chirped, appearing from behind Youngsoon. “Otherwise Yoongi’s ego will inflate too much and the kitchen will be too small to fit him.”

 

Yoongi snarled in response and Irene responded by poking her tongue out at him, having gotten used to his loud behaviour.

 

“It’s quite calm today isn’t it?” Irene observed thoughtfully.

 

“It’s a weekday,” Yoongi said in a flat tone. “People work.”

 

“We still get plenty of tourists though,” Youngsoon hummed softly. “I’m glad so many people enjoy their time here.”

 

“That’s because there’s an awesome manager here,” Irene quipped. “Backed by an able tea expert and decent albeit grumpy pâtissier.”

 

Yoongi stared daggers at Irene and his lips twitched, gearing up to shoot out his displeasure towards her choice of words.

 

“Right, it’s because I have a knowledgable tea expert and an excellent pâtissier doing all the hard work for me,” Youngsoon emphasised while pushing herself between Yoongi and Irene.

 

Crossing his arms over his chest, Yoongi let out a loud huff as if telling Irene to be grateful that she had managed to leave unscathed this time. Irene however already had her attention elsewhere as a new customer had arrived.

 

“Jinyoung, welcome!”

 

Irene’s greeting held a brighter undertone and seemed to bounce in the air. Returning her smile, Jinyoung gave a small bow before taking off his shoes.

 

“Congratulations on the pumpkin scones,” Jinyoung said carefully, weary of Yoongi’s intense stare. “It seems to be quite a success and rightfully so. It tasted delicious and went great with the tea.”

 

“Of course.” Yoongi nodded to himself. “Nothing that leaves my kitchen tastes bad.”

 

Not knowing how else to respond, Jinyoung gave a lop-sided grin while his eyes drifted towards the corner table he always sat only to be met with disappointment that it had been occupied already. Holding back a sigh, he then awkwa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter