Have a Slice.

Come and Find Me in the Clouds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Have a Slice.

 

 

What was Youngsoon’s day like when she did not have to be at Gureum? If it was not mandatory, Youngsoon would probably not take any days off unless absolutely necessary. Nonetheless, as it was legally required. Youngsoon too had those days where she did not have to go to work, those days where she had time to spend on herself, those days where she more often than not used to contemplate and evaluate Gureum’s trajectory and future plans.

 

Of course there were times where Joy would show up out of the blue and insist on having a fun girl’s day out which would result in Joy going on a shopping spree and making sure that Youngsoon bought at least one item — no matter how small — because every girl needs to be pampered every once in a while.

 

Today however, it was none of the above. Today Youngsoon wanted to empty her mind and do absolutely nothing. Today she wanted to be a blank canvas — or so she thought. However life never goes according to plan. Her little decision to go grocery shopping because she ran out of milk led to her carrying three large bags of fresh produce and other ingredients. Youngsoon had somehow managed to carry them despite how heavy they were and just had to cross the road to reach her building when as luck would have it, one of the bags’ handle snapped; its contents pouring out onto the pavement.

 

Biting back a groan, Youngsoon struggled to squat down and pick up the items without dropping the other two bags when a large shadow loomed over her.

 

“Need help?”

 

The sunlight shining on the person made it hard for Youngsoon to recognise him at first. However she knew the voice, and when the person crouched down and helped gather the fallen items, Youngsoon received confirmation that it was indeed Jaebum.

 

“Thank you,” Youngsoon whispered.

 

“Let me carry this for you,” Jaebum offered, taking the bag with the broken handle and another one as well. “I’m heading over to Jinyoung’s now anyway.”

 

Not giving Youngsoon a chance to refuse, Jaebum holstered the bags and started crossing the street. When he turned to look at Youngsoon, he was met with a small smile plastered on her face, her eyes cast downwards slightly. Without Jinyoung around, Jaebum suddenly was not sure how to interact with Youngsoon; how much he could or should say.

 

“How’s your brother?” Jaebum ended up asking in an attempt to break the otherwise awkwardly silent lift ride.

 

Youngsoon gave Jaebum a quick side glance in that moment, catching him staring at her shoes. She seemed to be gauging how much Jaebum knew exactly but at the same time she did not want to come off as rude.

 

“He really really really likes honey oat biscuits.”

 

In the end Youngsoon opted to provide a vague but light-hearted response and Jaebum was thankful for that.

 

“We’re having drinks at Jinyoung’s…” Jaebum mumbled. “Would you like to join us perhaps?”

 

“At this time?” Youngsoon blinked in surprised while glancing at her wrist watch that showed it was not even lunch time yet.

 

Jaebum had actually invited her out of courtesy, but even he realised how bizarre it must be for three grown men to be drinking at such an early hour. Any sensible adult would find it hard to accept.

 

“Youngjae, he…”

 

“I won’t intrude,” Youngsoon hummed as the lift door opened, a teasing look in her eyes when the sound of a male wailing in despair echoed in the corridor. “Looks like someone’s in desperate need of ‘bro’ time.”

 

Stepping out of the lift, Jaebum’s ears turned bright red in embarrassment. While Youngsoon unlocked her door, Jaebum lingered there, suddenly unwilling to enter Jinyoung’s flat and face the sobbing mess Youngjae must be in. Something had happened at work with the writer he’s in charge of and Youngjae demanded to be comforted which is why they were meeting up at Jinyoung’s.

 

“I’m planning to bake a pie today so I can bring some over later. Maybe it will help cheer Youngjae up a bit.” Gently kicking her door open, Youngsoon reached for the bags that Jaebum had been holding for her.

 

Offering Jaebum one final smile of encouragement, Youngsoon disappeared inside.

 

Putting the groceries away, Youngsoon then proceeded to make a light lunch. Once that was done and over with, Youngsoon whistled softly to herself and leaned slightly towards the open balcony door and chuckled at the boisterous sound coming from next door. Although it was getting cold and the wind was picking up, Youngsoon was reluctant to close the door and block out the lively voices coming from next door. Doing so would simply serve to highlight how lonesome and quiet her flat was in contrast.

 

Tying up her hair, Youngsoon cleared out the dining table to start baking. While kneading the dough for the perfect pie crust, Youngsoon’s expression relaxed as her muscle memory kicked in. She had made this very same recipe on multiple occasions, specifically in the company of her dad — or strictly speaking Mark’s dad. Baking pie together during festive days was how they initially bonded and what had given Youngsoon the courage to ask for the recipe of Mark’s favourite honey oat biscuits as well. In a way, baking was how she found her footing in her new family.

 

Soon the rich aroma of pecan pie filled the air. Pecan pie was doubtlessly a family favourite and Youngsoon’s go-to recipe when she needed a little pick me up. Now that the pie was coming to life in the oven, there was little left for Youngsoon to do as she had already finished cleaning up the small mess in the kitchen. It was also getting warmer due to the oven increasing the room temperature and thus Youngsoon drifted towards the balcony for some fresh air. Sitting down on the floor, she absent-mindedly stared at the worn out Converse.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter