Stop Forcing Yourself.

Come and Find Me in the Clouds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Stop Forcing Yourself.

 

 

It was the weekend and thus one of the busier days at Gureum. The teahouse had been bustling with customers all day long so Jinyoung felt guilty about just sitting there doing nothing in particular while Youngsoon expertly handled the customers and the influx of orders. To disperse those unnecessary thoughts from his mind, all Jinyoung needed to do was turn to his right and look out the window, letting eyes absorb the fading cityscape.

 

The view from Gureum always brought him much needed inner peace which was why he had grown so attached to the place. His silent appreciation of the view however was disrupted when a buzz rose amongst the customers and excited chatter broke out. Turning around, Jinyoung had to rub his eyes to make sure that he was seeing correctly because the sight that greeted him was that of Joy wearing the Gureum uniform while taking selfies with one of the younger female customers.

 

“Thank you so much!” The young girl grinned widely after taking the selfie. “I’ve been a fan of you ever since I stumbled on that photoshoot you did with that Instagram influencer. Those photos were beautiful!”

 

“You’re so sweet~” Joy cooed as she stood back up. “Well, I need to get back to work. Remember to tell your friends to visit Gureum if they have the time.”

 

True to her words, Joy headed straight for the kitchen and came out with a tray of cakes and tea. Following her movements, Jinyoung had a myriad of questions floating in his mind. He knew that Joy used to help out once in a while in high school to earn extra pocket money but he thought she had stopped once she started university and got the modelling job. Clearly he was wrong.

 

“Joy helps out occasionally during the weekend.” Youngsoon’s voice cut through Jinyoung’s thoughts, answering his unsaid question.

 

Though she was busy clearing out a table, Jinyoung knew that she was talking to him.

 

“She wasn’t here during the morning though,” Jinyoung noted since he arrived just after lunch.

 

“Indeed no,” Youngsoon replied with a composed yet teasing smile. “Apparently she can’t wake up early enough. Who knows what she spends her Friday nights doing.”

 

“Definitely not her homework,” Jinyoung snorted, recalling the numerous times he received drunken calls from her in the past.

 

“She certainly keeps her schedule packed,” Youngsoon hummed. “She had a photoshoot in Jeju a few days ago and when she flew back to Seoul, she headed straight to university from the airport for her afternoon classes.”

 

“She did?” Jinyoung gasped in disbelief.

 

“Her modelling career seems to be launching off,” Youngsoon continued. “I do hope she doesn’t push herself too hard though.”

 

his dry lips, Jinyoung’s eyes darted around in contemplation as he formulated a theory in his mind.

 

“Is that why you don’t stop her from dragging you around? Like the time she got drunk cause her boyfriend broke up with her or when she organised the gathering at your place? You wanted to give her an outlet?”

 

Balancing the tray in her hands, Youngsoon gave Jinyoung a quick glance before looking away too quickly for the male to catch any hidden message in her eyes. Giving the new customers a small bow, the manager of the esteemed teahouse went on with her business, leaving Jinyoung hanging.

 

Slouching his back, Jinyoung’s attention shifted back towards Joy who was skipping around the teahouse with more energy than he could ever muster. Mentally repeating what Youngsoon had told him, the image Jinyoung had of Joy was completely changed. No longer did he see her as a happy-go-lucky girl who did not know how to mind her own business but instead. He saw an independent and ambitious lady who boldly forged her path and did what made her happy.

 

Forging a path for oneself. That was what Joy, Mark, Youngsoon and everyone around Jinyoung seemed to be doing while he was stuck in a stalemate, running away to Gureum as an escape instead.

 

What am I doing with my life? Jinyoung asked himself for the umpteenth time, and just like the previous times, he had no answer.

 

・・・

 

“Joy you can clock out now,” Youngsoon told the younger girl. “We’re about to close.”

 

Looking around the teahouse, all the customers had left with the exception of  Jinyoung who had been too lost in his thoughts to even notice his surroundings. Having changed out of her uniform, Joy nudged Jinyoung with her foot to get his attention.

 

“I’m leaving now. Want to join me for drinks? It’s the weekend after all.”

 

Jinyoung blinked slowly as if Joy’s invitation was actually a cryptic message that required deciphering. Inhaling deeply, Jinyoung ultimately shook his head.

 

“Jaebum is away on a business trip,” Jinyoung sighed, thinking that Joy’s ultimate goal was to have a pretence to hang out with Jaebum again.

 

“I was asking you not Jaebum.” Joy frowned though did not deny Jinyoung’s allegations. “Oh well bye then.”

 

Just like that, Joy gave everyone remaining at Gureum an energetic wave before making her departure. Only then did Jinyoung realise that it was closing time and the empty teacup in front of him had already been cleared out — when exactly that had happened though Jinyoung had no idea.

 

Feeling in the way, Jinyoung decided to make himself useful and quietly took a piece of cloth that laid abandoned next to a bottle of surface cleaner spray, proceeding to wipe the tables. His actions did not go unnoticed by Youngsoon who was about to say something but was prevented from doing so when a loud voice bounced off the walls of Gureum.

 

“I’m here to kidnap my sister for dinner,” Mark declared in a cheerful tone. “Wait no let me rephrase that. I’m here to kidnap my sister so that we can go have dinner together. I don’t plan to eat her for dinner.”

 

Youngsoon froze, opening and closing wondering whether to give Mark’s silly joke a proper remark or to just ignore him. His joke was apparently well received though as Irene and some of the remaining employees had to muffle their giggle.

 

“So?” Mark chirped while bopping on the heels of his feet. “Can I proceed with my plan?”

 

“Not before you try this,” another voice interjected.

 

Yoongi emerged from the kitchen with a tray of freshly baked goods and laid it down on a low table. Youngsoon, Mark and even Jinyoung drifted towards the table, staring at the items that Yoongi had brought out. Upon closer inspection along with the unmistakable scent emitted, what was laid out in front of them was undoubtably pink cinnamon buns. Irene joined them a few moments later with a teapot of cherry green tea.

 

“Sweet cherries and rose and peony petals,” Irene announced proudly. “Something refreshing to match the dragonfruit cinnamon bun.”

 

“Dragonfruit cinnamon buns?” Mark smirked. “So you listened to me.”

 

“I’m not gonna turn down good ideas.” Yoongi rolled his eyes. “I’ve left another tray in the kitchen for the rest of the staff to try, so you guys dig in.”

 

Irene happily bit into one of the buns and Jinyoung swooned at the taste of cinnamon enveloping his tongue. He stopped chewing however when he saw Mark’s expression turn from ecstatic to hesitant as he gave Youngsoon a quick side glance when she handed him a bun before grabbing one herself. Whether Youngsoon noticed it was impossible to tell. However when she ripped off a piece of the bun and brought it to , she made sure to nudge Mark with her elbow, urging him to try it out. That was when his expression shifted into one of covert disappointment.

 

The small exchange between the two step-siblings did not gather the attention of anyone else but it did raise suspicions within Jinyoung. When Youngsoon’s gaze landed on him though, Jinyoung felt yet again as though he had been caught in the act and promptly looked away, stuffing the remainder of the cinnamon bun into his mouth.

 

“You’ve managed to maintain the vibrant colour of the dragonfruit rather beautiful Yoongi. I’m impressed.  Also the bun and the tea match perfectly, both in taste and in appearance,” Youngsoon commented, giving Yoongi and Irene a smile of approval while admiring the vibrantly coloured drink.

 

“I know right?” Irene chirped. “Since the weather is still on the warm side, I’m thinking of offering both hot and cold versions of the tea.”

 

“Sounds like a great idea.” Youngsoon nodded.

 

“Then it’s decided,” Yoongi said in a proud voice. “This will be tomorrow’s recommendation of the day.”

 

Within moments the tray of dragonfruit cinnamon buns was emptied, leaving only crumbs behind.

 

“Those cinnamon buns made me real peckish now,” Mark hummed while patting his stomach. “Come on lil’ sis, let’s get going. Don’t want to keep J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter