The Letter

MILDANG: A Decade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

She’s been waiting for it and it’s been months since he enlisted. Maybe he forgot. But that’s not him. He’s never forgotten anything he’s promised her, none that she can remember. She shouldn’t really be making an issue of it, she reprimanded herself. Although she’s never been and never will, she’s sure being in the military would be so stressful she won’t have time for that too. And as someone who has nagged him over and over about taking care of himself, she should be glad if that’s what he’s doing in his free time.

 

Still, a letter won’t take five minutes to write, if it was a short one. And she knows how good he is with words so it shouldn’t be a problem for him. She shouldn’t really have these days off because she has nothing to do but to think and worry about him.

 

She was sitting at home trying to read a book but she hasn’t gotten past 4 pages because she had to go back and read again as she’s so distracted. She huffed and her bangs flew up. This Jung Yonghwa, even when he’s not bugging me, he’s still bugging me.

 

Her phone notification went off. Once. Twice. Then several times in succession. She got nervous. This only means one thing. She was being tagged or mentioned on something and she was dreading opening her phone. First, she needs to think. What did she say and do in the past days could possibly get her into trouble? None that she can remember. Second, is there any project, endorsement or event she’s involved in that was being released today? None, since the last one she shot won’t be out until next month. Third, is there a birthday or anniversary that she was forgetting? As far as she knew, there was no one she knew who has a birthday today. And no anniversaries too. Fourth, and usually the most likely culprit, is there any Yongseo-related thing that happened on this day several years ago? There isn’t one. She knows because she’s memorized it over the years.

 

There’s no use beating herself up over it with worry when she can just open her phone to check it now before it completely blows up with notifications. She opened her phone and all the mentions of her were related to a music video. She clicked the link and saw his name… and the song title. 

 

Letter.

 

Goosebumps crept up her skin. She doesn’t know if she should be happy or mad. That namja is really something else.  She’s been waiting for a literal letter when this is what he had up his sleeve. She clicked play and stopped it after a few seconds.

 

She thinks mad is a better choice. There’s a woman in this video, and they look cozy. Her nostrils are flaring. But logic has her playing it again. She won’t know what he has to say if  she’s not going to watch it.

 

Another few seconds in and she paused it again. It’s in Japanese. And she knows why. As special as the reason was, she would have to listen and pay attention carefully to understand this… Give it to him to know how to get her complete attention. 

 

She took a deep breath and prepared herself for the visual onslaught. The video started playing again. 

 

Do You Remember

That Shooting Star

It's Like A Cinema Scene

I Fell In Love With You, It's Destiny's Sign

If We Two Are Together, Everything Is So Shine

"It's Alright" Signs Of Ours

Let Me Pour Out My Heart To You

 

I Can't Live Without You 

I Can't Live Without You

No Matter What I Wanna Be By Your Side

Whether It's A Rainy Morning Or A Starry Night

Second By Second, Step By Step, Let's Keep This Love

 

She stopped again. These lyrics. They were so familiar to her. She’s read them somewhere before. She ran to her room and dug deep through her closet for the box she hasn’t opened for 7 years. Finally she found it. It was the letter that sat on top of the bouquet of flowers he gave her on their last episode. It was a great idea for her not to read it on cam because the contents of it was not intended for the camera. If ever, her company would have asked that part to be edited out.

 

-flashback-

The moment she got into the elevator, the weight she was feeling on her chest became heavier that the elevator could possibly set off an alarm for over capacity. It felt heavy and it ached too. It was a dull ache but getting stronger as she got closer to the floor where their dorm was. Before she could feel it’s complete effect, she was already entering their dorm and her sisters were crowding over her.

 

“Is it over?”

“Whoa!”

“Aww he got you flowers!”

“Is that the guitar he didn’t get to buy for you the first time?”

“Can I have that bear?”

 

She managed to hear all of it despite those being said all at once. She wanted to cover her ears but her hands were full. Thankfully, her sisters noticed and took the items from her one by one. Except for the flowers. She didn’t want to let go of that.”

 

“Yes, it’s over. The director told me in the briefing earlier that I didn’t have to go back down after going up. I already said my thank you’s and goodbyes to the team early this morning.” She said that in one breath even if she didn’t have to. She felt hurried somehow.

 

“We were trying to watch you from the window, but the trees in the park obstructed the view. Did he give you all of these?” One of them asked, she ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter