There's Nothing Holding Me Back

OMW 2: Fallin All In

MIMI.

 

"Ah, Jiho, here's for my lunch this afternoon. Thanks." Mimi got up from her bed and walked towards Jiho who's busy writing something, her homework maybe. Jiho looked up to her when Mimi was already standing in front of her.

 

Jiho shook her head. "Yooa unnie paid for your lunch earlier.", she says while grinning as Mimi's eyebrows furrowed.

 

"What? Why?"

 

"Why what? It's okay! You know her anyway!" Jiho says excitedly before shoo-ing Mimi away, saying she's still busy with her homework. Mimi heaved a deep breath before going back to her bed. 

 

Now she has to pay Shiah back. Why is Mimi nervous about this? Hah, it's not like Shiah doesn't have Mimi's stuff though. A lunch set shouldn't be a big deal, Mimi.

 

The next day, the group didn't gather for lunch because most of them are busy with some subject requirements, but instead, they agreed to meet at Hyejin's place. Last night, Hyejin, finally made a group chat of them where she sent her address. She said she's got the house for herself that day so her friends could come over.

 

Then after that, they all talked through video calls, as if they wouldn't meet each other tomorrow. Jiho didn't join the call though, because of her homework. Mimi wasn't talking much, just listening to the others talking, it was mainly Seunghee talking to everyone as if she was an emcee in a talk show. Mimi only waited for Shiah to join, but the girl's camera was off. 

 

This is nice, Mimi felt excited, it's her first time doing things like this with a squad, plus the fact that she is officially close to Shiah now. Sounds great, so great for Mimi. 

 

Jiho and Mimi arrived at Hyejin's place at around 6 PM, because Mimi had to meet her uncle who's currently in the city for some family business to take care of. Jiho insisted that she'll come with Mimi so she won't be alone. 

 

Hyejin opened the gate for them, the house is really beautiful though, Mimi liked how it was designed. She's an Architecture student so she's really interested in the details. 

 

"Hey, stop standing there, the others are waiting for us." Jiho pulled Mimi inside, laughing at Mimi's weirdness.

 

"Shut up, it's just cool here," Mimi explains as she follows her roommate.

 

When they entered the room, Mimi saw their friends. They were gathered in the living room where Hyojung, Seunghee, and Yubin were playing Jenga blocks, while Shiah and Hyejin were talking while watching the three. Jiho immediately join the three though, so Mimi was left alone wandering around the living room. Mimi had the chance to see Shiah, but a part of her feels so.. embarrassed, maybe because of what Shiah was wearing and how she looked so pretty and chic in her brown oversized shirt and those.. those mini shorts. Illegal.

 

She placed her backpack on the floor next to Jiho while the latter was busy playing. 

 

"Mimi, let's go get some snacks?" Hyejin asks, Mimi nodded immediately, liking the sound of snacks. She noticed Shiah would be alone there so before following Hyejin, she tapped Shiah's shoulder.

 

"Let's help Hyejin in preparing the snacks," Mimi says softly, the four who were playing were really loud so she had to lean towards Shiah when she spoke. The girl placed her phone down on the couch before looking at Mimi, who was weirdly looking at the ceiling, waiting for Shiah to stand up. 

 

Mimi heard Shiah chuckling, and that's when she finally looked at her. She was really avoiding Shiah's eyes because she keeps having this weird feeling towards the girl but when she chuckled, Mimi couldn't help but glance over the girl. 

 

"You're funny, Mihyun." Mimi smiled when she heard Shiah saying her name. She didn't know that her name sounds nice until she heard Shiah saying it, with that soft voice, again.

 

They were helping Hyejin in the kitchen when Mimi remembered about the lunch thing. She looked at Hyejin to check if the girl is still busy before walking towards Shiah who's opening the pack of snacks. Mimi stood behind the girl as she grinned. 

 

"Hey," Mimi whispered in Shiah's ear. Shiah's reflexes were fast and the girl turned her head to see Mimi's face so close next to her right cheek, Mimi even felt her lips touching Shiah's ear which made her step back a bit. Also shocked with the sudden closeness.

 

Shiah was just looking at her in question so Mimi immediately spoke. "U-uh.. Jiho told me you paid for my lunch yesterday?" Shiah mouthed an "ah" before nodding at her. Mimi smiled and helped picked up a bowl to help Shiah. 

 

"I'll give you my payment later-" 

 

"No, it's okay. I owe you a lot already." Shiah smiled at her before taking the bowl.

 

"Lovebirds, follow after you're done there okay?" Hyejin laughed at them before heading back to the living room. Mimi felt her heart flutter when she glanced at Shiah, checking her reaction to what Hyejin said. Shiah looked unbothered though.

 

I guess she doesn't care about it?

 

Mimi carried the bowls of snacks; Shiah wanted to at least carry one but Mimi insisted. When they went back to the living room, Yubin was sitting on Shiah's position on the couch earlier and Jiho is laying on it, her head on Yubin's lap. Hyejin was with Seunghee and Hyojung sitting on the mat. Mimi placed the snacks on the center table and sat on the vacant couch, Shiah graded a handful of crackers before sitting next to Mimi.

 

"Well, I wanted to tell my prof that I'm fine with not meeting him for counseling," Hyojung says, the others were just listening. Seems like they just finished their conversation, Yubin said she wanted to play UNO but they only had 4 games and everyone backed out already.

 

"How about we play 2 truths, 1 lie?" Hyejin suggested.

 

Mimi saw Shiah shifting her position, closer to Mimi to get better access to listening to Hyejin's game. Mimi knew that game, each player has to give 3 statements about herself and the others had to guess which one among those three is a lie. Since they are 7, Hyejin suggested that they'll have to pick a paper with a name on the bowl and let that person answer it. 

 

"Alright let's start! I'll pick a name for our first player!" Hyejin hosted. Mimi was already busy thinking of what would be her statements, though she can't focus because her attention is on Shiah. Uh I hate this. Why is she even wearing shorts right now? 

 

Mimi suddenly stood up, while Hyejin was picking a name, she heard that Jiho was picked. Mimi opened her backpack and took her jacket before going back to her seat. She didn't think twice as she covered Shiah's legs with her jacket. Seunghee seemed to notice what she did, being the closest one from the two's couch, but remained unbothered. 

 

"Um.. One, I want chocolates right now." That was Jiho's voice. Mimi tried her best to not look at Shiah after what she did, trying to listen to what Jiho was saying to avoid embarrassment because she can feel her cheeks heating up.

 

"Two, I don't have siblings.." Jiho was taking her time, the others were patiently waiting, except Seunghee who kept giving reactions. Mimi felt Shiah tapping her shoulder. She bit her lip, telling herself to calm down. god damn, why did i do that. AAAAh Mihyun whyy.

 

"Yeah?" Mimi says as soon as she looked... at Shiah's shoulder because she can't look straight at her face.

 

"Thanks for this, I was feeling cold," Shiah says as she fixes the jacket on her lap, covering more of her legs. Mimi gulped and looked at Jiho again.

 

"Three, my parents are still alive."  That was the lie. Mimi knew it was. She doesn't know if it's a good thing to answer it..? Because it's a sensitive topic.. so she'd just let Jiho open up about it. 

 

Hyejin was the one to answer her, but instead of answering, she told Jiho, "Jiho, from now on, you can call us your family. And we can be your anything, sisters, friends, parents, anything. Keep that in mind, okay?" That was sweet. But Mimi knew Jiho. She knew how she'll react. Instead of crying or letting the mood drop, Jiho just giggled and accepted what Hyejin just said. 

 

"Okay next!!" They moved on from that because Jiho obviously doesn't want this night to be dramatic. The next player is Shiah. Mimi was suddenly more interested in the game now. This game is a good get-to-know step.

 

"Um.. First, I want to be a doctor." Hm... isn't that a given? Biology is her pre-med course, right? Or is she planning not to? Everyone is looking at Shiah, while Mimi... is staring. This could be my hobby, ugh. 

 

"Second, I love dancing." Oh? That's new. Wow. Mimi was impressed. What if that's the truth? Shiah is TALENTED. A talented goddess.

 

"Third, I think I like someone..?" Her tone gained a reaction from the others, especially Hyojung and Seunghee. "Eeey, why aren't you sure?" they said. 

 

"Yeah? Who's that?" Mimi asks, she doesn't know why she did. But she asked. Shiah looked at her for seconds before smiling, shaking her head as an answer. Jiho laughed, she told Shiah that she'll flood her later until she tells her who was it. 

 

Shiah just giggled through before picking a name. Surprisingly, it was Mimi. 

 

"I think, your lie is the third one." She answers immediately. The others laughed at her. 

 

"I don't know! Gut feeling!" Mimi continued. 

 

"Idiot! Yooa got guys swooning over her, of course, she'll like at least one of them!" Mimi scratched her nape. Really? She looked at Shiah with that question in her eyes. Shiah though, surprisingly, again, shook her head.

 

"Nope. The lie is the first one. I wanted to be a dancer and medicine is what my parents want me to pursue." ah.. That was unexpected. Was it the reason why Shiah was always sad? Was she unmotivated? 

 

The game continued. Then after everyone's turn, they talk for a bit before deciding to go home since the night is really getting deeper. Hyojung said she'll stay at Hyejin's since they'll be reviewing tonight. Yubin, Jiho, and Seunghee grabbed a taxi together. 

 

At first, Shiah was invited by Jiho to walk with them since it's just a 30-minute walk from Hyejin's to Mimi and Jiho's dorm. Mimi told Jiho to just go home. 

 

"Give this moment to me please." She whispers to Jiho and the latter started laughing while walking away from Mimi and Shiah. Yubin told Jiho to ride the taxi with them that's why now..

 

Mimi is alone with Shiah. Hyojung once said that Shiah was her dorm neighbor, and Mimi knew yesterday while video calling that Hyojung was living in the apartment on a street away from Mimi's dorm. That's how she got a clue about where Shiah stays.

 

Mimi was carrying her backpack on her left shoulder, her right hand was kept in her jeans' pocket. Shiah was holding a shoulder bag on her right side. This is Mimi's first time walking on the streets at night with someone who flips her stomach upside down, figuratively. They could only hear the sound of the night, and some vehicles passing by. Mimi doesn't know why she suddenly switched positions with Shiah so she's the one exposed on the road. Maybe to keep Shiah safe? 

 

Shiah, who had Mimi's jacket encircled on her waist, chuckles at Mimi, which confuses the latter. What now? 

 

"Nothing.. you're just so.. gentlewoman?" Shiah says with that eye smile.

 

Mimi heaved a deep breath before speaking. "Can't help it when it's you though." 

 

Shiah went quiet. You're so unpredictable. Mimi speaks in her mind. 

 

"But really though, you're so nice to me." Mimi looked at Shiah, the girl was looking on the ground but there was a smile on her face. Mimi can't help but adore her. Seeing Shiah smiling really fulfills her. Why? 

 

"Everyone is nice in their own ways." Mimi shifted, carrying her backpack on her right shoulder this time. "You even paid for my lunch, you're nice too." She continued.

 

"Yeah? But everything you did for me is different." What is she pointing out? Mimi pouted, she isn't used to being complimented this much by a girl like Shiah. 

 

"You should be careful of your actions though, some people misunderstand things," Shiah added which made Mimi more confused.

 

They reached the plaza, almost near the street of their dorms. There weren't many people, just about 5-6 in the plaza, plus the snacks and ice cream vendor. Kids like hanging out there so the businessmen really took this opportunity to find the market.

 

"But I did those things for you only? Are you misunderstanding anything?" Is this about the two of them? Or what? Mimi is seriously in confusion. She doesn't know if she's a real idiot or just an idiot. 

 

"Nevermind." Shiah chuckles, stopping midway from talking as she looked up at Mimi, they finally reached that one spot where they always coincidentally meet.

 

"Anyway.. I hope you'll keep the 'me-crying-on-the-streets' as a secret, I don't want my mom to find out about it." Mimi nodded, Shiah walked towards the bench. Ah we're going to talk? Mimi thought. She looked at the clock on her phone and it was almost 10 PM. Jiho had already texted her that she arrived in their room already. 

 

"Yes! I won't, promise!" Mimi did a mouth-zipping gesture as she placed her backpack on the bench.

 

"Wait, I'll get something." When Shiah nodded, Mimi ran fast back on the plaza main, she bought two ice cream, one vanilla, and one chocolate flavored for her because she doesn't know what flavor would Shiah like. She just stuck with vanilla. 

 

"Ahh, you didn't have to. But thanks!" Mimi smiles as she sat next to the girl.

 

"Do you like chocolate too? We can share." Mimi thanked that the ice cream she bought had two spoons. Shiah nodded and they shared, comfortably. For the first time in Mimi's college life, she didn't feel like wanting to go back to the dorms yet, she wants to stay and just talk to Shiah all night.

 

"So um.." Mimi started, she really wants to talk about this. Shiah was waiting, Mimi took a spoonful of ice cream first before continuing. "You like someone?" 

 

Shiah coughed, seems like she didn't expect Mimi to ask that, right now. Mimi apologized as she caressed Shiah's back when she coughed. Shiah just laughed at her after she'd calm down though. What? Mimi pouted, why does she keep laughing at me.

 

"Yeah, I do. But I'm not really into that. You know I'm a troubled girl and I have a lot of things going on in my life already." Shiah says while eating. 

 

After that, Shiah asked Mimi to talk about herself again, like what she did last time. Mimi just talked about her family though, and her uncle who went to meet her earlier that day. She also talked about her province and how she wants to have a trip there with their group soon. Shiah said she'll ask for her parent's permission because that sounds exciting. 

 

Jiho was already sleeping when Mimi arrived in their room. She first walked Shiah to her own dorm after their talk. It's almost midnight, but still, Mimi kept thinking about what Shiah said. She's not into that, what 'that'? And troubled? Shiah sure is facing a lot of ups and downs now. Mimi grinned, a thought came to her mind. 

 

I just have to make sure that she'll at least have fun instead of drowning in her life problems.