Never Be Alone

OMW 2: Fallin All In

LAST

 

"What time is your class today?" Mr. Yoo asks while munching on his food, which is why Mihyun's nervous because he might not like the food at all but he's a professional though deeep inside he might be wondering why is he eating the food that Mihyun cooked. Why am I overthinking this much, and wow I didn't know he would be the type to talk while eating but okay, he's Shiah's father. Respect. Shiah was sitting next to Mihyun while Mr. Yoo was across them. After he arrived earlier, he told Mihyun to continue what she was doing and he'll join them on their breakfast. Luckily, Mihyun managed to act normal knowing that Mr. Yoo is just sitting there at the couch waiting for her and Shiah to finish their morning routines. Mihyun saw him a few times, he was on Shiah's phone gallery plus Minhyuk showed his face to her one time before when she was curious on what he looked like. One can easily say that he's Shiah's father. 

 

Why is he here though? 

 

When Shiah finished taking a bath, Mihyun had to push her back in the bathroom to tell her the situation. Shiah was confused too, part of her still hasn't moved on from what her father told her last night, now why is he here? Still, Mihyun told her to just let it be and they'll have to settle this soon. Mihyun doesn't know if Shiah's father actually planned to talk to Shiah because she shouldn't be here in the first place. He might think that she's living with Shiah but she's not and she reminded herself to mention it later to avoid misunderstandings.

 

"Later in the afternoon." Shiah plainly answers, she isn't even looking at her father. At the moment, they're just eating. Mihyun still hasn't taken a bath because they ate as soon as Shiah finished preparing herself and Mihyun finished cooking. Mihyun looked at her girlfriend who smiled at her, there was something in Shiah's eyes, nervous? pain..? 

 

"You have nice parents." He mentions out of sudden. Mihyun looked at him, confused. Oh.. they're partners, how could I forget about that? Mihyun just smiled and nodded. 

 

"Thank you, sir." She responds, bowing her head slightly. They continued eating in silence. This is so unlike how Mihyun's family eat. When Shiah was in the Kim's, the table is full of jokes and laughter. But now, given the situation and the fact that it was Mr. Yoo 

 

"Mihyun has exams later. We have to go soon." Shiah spoke again. All of them finished their food. The father nodded. Mihyun looked at her girlfriend once again. I have to take a bath... Will it be okay to leave her alone with him? Right.. they have to talk.

 

Mihyun excused herself, giving Shiah a pat on the shoulder before heading to Shiah's room. She's been staying in Shiah's apartment a lot so she has her own towel and such stuff in Shiah's closet, same with Shiah on her apartment. Mihyun was actually so nervous, with Shiah and her father in one room? She kinda felt suffocated. She wanted to go out and get some fresh air but she can't just leave her girlfriend alone.

 

Just when Mihyun entered the bathroom, Shiah finished washing the dishes. She's been thinking since earlier. What does he want now? I thought he wouldn't want a daughter like me. She's scared that he might ask her to leave the apartment too because.. he's the one who pays for the rent. Ugh. 

 

Shiah sat down on the table again. Of course, they will talk. Although she feels like she isn't ready yet, but here it is now. 

 

"It didn't come to my mind that you would learn things in this apartment." He started as he scanned her room. Shiah couldn't read his thoughts, and she actually doesn't want to. 

 

Yeah.. things you wouldn't teach me. She badly wanted to say that but she stayed silent.

 

"Please don't abandon your family, Shiah." Huh? She looked at her father. This is new.. No, the look in his eyes. She once saw them, right.. When she and her brother went out to play with their bikes when they were kids, Shiah accidentally lost her balance and her legs were wounded. She came back home crying with her brother carrying her on his back. Her father's eyes back then... and his eyes right now. They look the same. 

 

Was Shiah too focused by the fact that her father was strict? Or was his father became too workaholic that his family became a part of his business too? Both could be true. 

 

"I'm not abandoning my family, dad." Habitually fiddling with her fingers, she mutters as she looked away from her father. No, I shouldn't cry here. The heavy feeling in her heart is starting to upset her again. 

 

"I know I've been hard on you, picking on you always in the past years... I'm sorry, Shiah." There was a pause before he says the latter words. What is he doing this for? Mixed feelings, it's the first time she heard those words from him. It helped her for real, the pain on her chest is starting to get lighter now. But.. Mihyun. What about her and Mihyun? Shiah sighed. 

 

"I'm sorry too, dad. I-" 

 

"I like her." Mr. Yoo says which made Shiah raise her head to look at him. Is he talking about Mihyun? "I like your girlfriend. She's nice..." It might be too obvious that Shiah's smile shined bright when her father said that but she doesn't care. Her heart flutters. Her father paused again, scratching a little on his temple. He looked embarrassed. This character of her father.. Shiah has seen this before when she was a kid. Now realizing that they really used to be this warm with each other, Shiah smiled.  

 

"And she cooks eggs well." With that, Shiah laughed. Yeah, Mihyun and her father both like salty food. Her father chuckled along with her. 

 

After a few seconds of sharing small giggles and chuckles, her father heaved a deep sigh. Not the stressed one, but just right. He looked around her apartment once again before speaking. "Tell me what you need here."

 

"My family." She answers immediately, that's what she thought in instant. 

 

"Our house is bigger than this, why would we go here instead of staying there?" He answers back, grinning when her daughter pouted. 

 

"You know what I mean, dad.." He chuckles and patted her head as he stood up. Just in time, Mihyun finished showering. She went out of the bathroom, patting the water drops on her hair with the towel when she saw Mr. Yoo standing behind Shiah. 

 

"Are you going to school after I leave?" He asks her -- Mihyun. He's looking at Mihyun. Oh, are we cool now? She nodded. "I'm planning to walk Shiah to her building first before I go to the library." She says, comfortably hanging the towel around her neck. She's already wearing her clothes she prepared earlier so she wouldn't be when she walks out of the bathroom. Her father once said that impressing the parents is the first thing you have to do when you like someone and now is her chance.

 

"Well, if it's okay with you. Can I come with the two of you? I'll walk you to your university." He asks, fixing his coat. Mihyun nodded again. "Yes, ofcourse sir!" 

 

Mr. Yoo hummed and gave them a look. "I'll wait for you two outside." He says before leaving the room.

 

"Are you okay?" Mihyun asks as soon as she's alone with Shiah. Her girlfriend chuckles and pinched her cheek. "Yeah, we're okay."

 

"I'm approved?" Mihyun asked again, following Shiah who walked in her bedroom. Shiah hummed. "I think.. we understand each other now. I think he accepts me now.. and you too.." She responds while placing her notes in her bag. 

 

--

 

"Do you always stay at my daughter's room?" Mr. Yoo asks while they are walking. Him and Mihyun are standing on either sides of Yooa. 

 

"Ah, sir. My apartment is actually in that building." Mihyun pointed at her room as they walked pass by her dorm's building. This man really is Shiah's father. He's mysterious and quiet like her. Mihyun couldn't tell if he likes her or not.

 

It's been a few minutes of walking and they're almost in front of the school gate. Shiah isn't speaking either. Should I ask him? "Sir, are you not mad at me?" Mihyun asks when they're finally at the school gate. Shiah tugged on her shirt. Huh what.. Oh. Mihyun bowed immediately, apologizing for her sudden question. 

 

"I'm not mad at you but can I walk my daughter to her room today?" He asks once again. Why does he keep asking me? It's suddenly embarrassing. 

 

"Uh.. Please don't ask me about this and that, Shiah is your daughter and I'm just her girlfriend. Of course you can, sir." She answers with an awkward smile on her face. I swear I might get punched by Shiah later. Ahhh Kim Mihyun idiot. 

 

Mr. Yoo smiled and nodded. Eh, his smile is just like Shiah's brother's. 

 

"But.. do you approve me now, sir?" She asks again, Mihyun can't help it.

 

"Goodluck on your exam later, Mihyun." He says with his fatherly laugh before turning back at them. Mihyun noticed that Mr. Yoo distanced himself a litlle when Shiah pulled Mihyun to look at her. I wanted to say thanks though-

 

"I'll text you after class, okay?" Shiah says, hugging Mihyun like how they usually do before parting ways to their respective classes. 

 

"Sorry, I'll keep quiet next time." Mihyun pouted. Her girlfriend just chuckled and pinched her cheek hard this time. "Don't worry about it." Don't worry about it but you pinched me this hard- aigh.

 

"Ask for my approval again when I can already call you Architect Kim, will that be alright?" Oh.. oh is this a deal? Mihyun gulped. That just means she has to do well and graduate soon so he'll approve her? 

 

"He's joking. Go now." Shiah told her while laughing at her reaction, tryingto push her away now. Mihyun peeked at Mr. Yoo and he just smiled at her. Weird, but okay, I'll do that. After that, Mihyun bid a goodbye to her father as well. Walking her way to the library, Mihyun lightly massaged her cheek. Why does she keep pinching me, aah. 

 

"Please tell her to not call me sir, dad would be better. I'm just embarrassed to say it earlier but sir sounded too formal." Shiah chuckles when her father said that after Mihyun left. The truth is, also she still feel like this is unreal, but after lloking back at how close she was with her father before. She's thinking of helping herself on getting used to this now.

 

"Yes dad." She answers. The father and daughter proceeds to the hallway to Shiah's room. There area a few looks from the people passing by. Well, her father is wearing formal clothes which are really eye-catching. Shiah just shrugged off the glances. She remembers the last time her father drove her to school, it was in her kindergarten year. Too long ago. Which is why this actually feels nice to her.

 

When they reached her classroom, Shiah hugged her dad. It's been long and she isn't sure if he would do this ever again. He might've just spared a day off today. "Visit the house whenever you're free, bring her once she's ready. I'll tell your mom to cook." He says before leaving. 

 

That day became the best school day for Shiah. Minhyuk was right. There shouldn't be any doubt on her and her father reconciling just now because family is family.

 

 

 

 

(Hyojung, JinE, Mimi, Yooa, Seunghee, Jiho, Yubin, Arin)

 

 

 

TWO YEARS LATER

 

"Oh my god, I can't believe those two." 

 

Hyejin sat next to Arin and Yubin on the bench just a few meters away from the school gate. Hyojung was standing by the gate, catching (not just few) glances from the other students and their guardians and friends entering the main gate, probably heading towards the venue but she doesn't care. Yooa even told us last night that she'll be waiting for us and NOW HER OWN GIRLFRIEND is LATE. They've been waiting for Seunghee and Mimi for an hour already. They agreed to meet at the school gate at 7:00 in the morning BUT it's already 7:30. Unfortunately, except from Mimi and Seunghee, the other girls arrived at the school 30 minutes before 7 because they are excited for their friend.

 

"Let's just head inside, it's starting soon." Yubin suggested while scrolling through her phone. Hyojung perhaps didn't hear it as she was busy checking all the arriving faces. Hyejin sighed and checked the group chat, the last message was Jiho's message for Yooa. She looked at the siblings next to her, the older being busy with her phone as usual, the younger was just fiddling with her fingers. 

 

Hyejin checked the time on her watch, Yubin's right. It's going to start soon. We should go now. 

 

There's a loud sound from the program venue, the one they could hear when the speaker is . It's starting. Arin thought, she glanced at her sister who looked really busy. As usual, she's reading. But this is new though, Yubin told her just last week that she's trying out the e-books this time. Maybe her sister got tired of holding thick books. Yea.. phone is much thinner.

 

Just when Hyejin stood up to pull Hyojung with her, two familiar faces appeared, running towards them. Seunghee was sweating a lot, most evident on her forehead. "Why the hell did you two come just now?" Hyejin asked, walking to check on Seunghee and Mimi who just came. Hyojung just nodded, supporting Hyejin with the scolding while crossing her arms over her chest. But when the two eldest saw what Mimi was holding on her right hand, which is technically a bouquet of roses but some of the petals looked terrible, they didn't ask anymore. 

 

"Well then, let's go now. The program won't wait for us, it already started.." Yubin spoke again, I knew this would happen, there's even almost no students outside now, they're all in the gymnasium, why are my friends like this. She pulled her sister and started walking. She sent a messaeg to Yooa that they're heading inside now. The others followed her and Arin.

 

Seunghee and Mimi were the ones walking behind the group. Seunghee, feeling really tired from how fast they ran earlier because Mimi was panicking at the time, glared at the girl next to her. Aish, why did I even volunteer on coming with her. "I told you we shouldn't run because we're still late after all these sweat and muscle pain." Seunghee says while wiping off her sweat, even putting on a new layer of face powder while walking. 

 

A grin flashed on Mimi's face while listening to Seunghee's complaint. Not because she's having fun of the frustrated Seunghee but because of the flowers she bought minutes ago. "Stop talking about muscle pain when you're the one who kept asking me to go to gym with you." She says, Seunghee gave her a look before walking faster, leaving Mimi alone in her tracks. 

 

"Hey! Wait for me!"

 

Today is a big day for all of them... especially Shiah, and Mimi of course. They entered the gymnasium, or which the students preferably call "Coliseum", and ofcourse not the Greece-type coliseum but just a big gymnasium with a few doors here and there and a wide space in the middle where graduating students and their representative guardians sat, about a hundred of people where in the venue. Like the usual graduation program, they started with a speech from some honorable people (which Mimi finds really boring so she's planning to just stare at her girlfriend for more than an hour). 

 

It wasn't hard to find Yooa among all those students in there, thankfully there was a pattern with the sitting arrangement so Mimi didn't have a hard time searching for her girlfriend. The group sat on the right side of the place where they could watch the stage and everything. Mimi also saw Yooa's parents not so far away from them. Junsun must be here too, unfortunately, the school only provided two seats for the guardians so ofcourse it would be Yooa's parents. How long has it been since Mimi last saw Yooa's parents? Two years ago. Apparently, she got really really busy and she really is trying her best to avoid it whenever Shiah wants her to meet her parents or go over to her house for dinner. 

 

Ask for my approval again when I can already call you Architect Kim, will that be alright?

 

That's what her father said.Shiah told her that it was a joke but somehow, it felt like a motivation for Mimi. She's been feeling so easy all these years and only when Shiah came that she started to feel challenged. She learned her goals, and what she wants for her future. She wants to be responsible now that she's in the process of adulting. So Mimi had been studying harder since then. Jiho told her once that Shiah sometimes send Jiho a message whining about how Mimi is always busy. At first it was hard, Mimi knew she's always distracted whenever she's with Shiah. But as time passes by, she learned to managed her priorities. If I want to be an architect, then I will be an architect. Along with that, I will keep making Shiah happy. Just a year more and Mimi will finally graduate too, although she knows that she'll be busier in her last year. But that's how it is, right? You have to work hard to reach your goals. 

 

How many days has it been? How many weeks? Months? Mihyun has been in love with Shiah for more than two years now and nothing has changed. Just watching Shiah from afar, her girlfriend is wearing that graduation gown which makes her look more smarty. Mihyun knew it from the start, she'd be like this for so so so long, falling in love with Shiah everyday? Yes, and now here she is, watching the love of her life sitting on that chair on her graduation ceremony. Mihyun and their friends knew that Shiah's dream is to become a professional dancer. One time, she asked Shiah about it.

 

"Do you still want to be a dancer?" Mihyun asks after an hour of watching her girlfriend reading that thick Biology book she just bought. Shiah raised her head and smiled at Mihyun.

 

"Of course, that's my first ever dream." She answers as she pinched Mihyun's cheek like she always does. Shiah said that everytime she pinches Mihyun's cheek, she gets happier than ever so... Mihyun just lets her pinch her like 6-8 times a day. 

 

"Why don't you quit this program then? You already made up with your parents." Mihyun says, taking Shiah's hand in hers, holding it gently. The latter hummed, removing her reading glasses, her free hand started tapping on the book slowly, as if she's listening to some beat and synchronising it to her tapping.

 

"Because.. I realized that somehow, my father is right. And, after some time, I think I fell in love in Science."

 

Mihyun smiled at her answer. "Alright smart girl, give me that brain of yours."

 

"Shut up Mihyun, you're better than me on your field." 

 

Fascinating to see how Mihyun and Shiah learned stuff from all the things that happened between them. Nothing's certain in the future, when Mihyun asked Shiah to be her girlfriend, she really thought that it's already a happy ending for them but that was actually a cue to their beginning. She's sure they'll be experiencing a lot more challenges but... just like what she told Shiah, she wouldn't be tired. Mihyun feels like she's the luckiest having her friends and family, and of course, Shiah by her side. Shiah once asked her, "Do you have anything to wish for?" and Mihyun answered "Food." because she's hungry but to be honest, she doesn't have anything in her mind to wish for, a longer life? Yes, but not the typical material or person wish. 

 

"Hey, it's her turn now!" Seunghee exclaimed, pointign at Yooa who's walking up on the stage. Mihyun thinks it's because of Hyojung and Arin and Seunghee's loud cheers, that the cheers for Shiah was really exaggerated. They sounded like they're in a basketball league. But anyway, Mihyun did her best to cheer for her girlfriend, clapping while shouting "SHIAH YOU DID WELL!". They heard a few people laughing at their loud cheer saying they're on another level but that's the nature of their group, she guesses.

 

After receiving her diploma, Shiah looked at her friends. They're not that hard to find, God, why are they so loud.. She couldn't help but to smile. Looking at her friends from her position while holding her diploma, she recalled all the memories she had with them. Shiah entered the university without a single friend, crying all the time at nights without company but she met them and everything changed. What good deed did Shiah made in the past that she's blessed with her friends and Mihyun... and her family right there clapping while standing from their chairs. Junsun was there on the back far from her parents but he's cheering. There were more than a hundred people in that gymnasium but it's like Shiah could only see these people who she loves the most. By the time Shiah has to leave the stage, tears finally flowed down to her cheeks. Her parents were there down on the stage waiting for her, welcomed her with a hug telling her she did well.

 

I did well. Shiah whispered to herself. This is just a beginning for her again.

 

--

 

"YOOA!!! YOU LOOK SO PRETTY! YOO PRETTY SHI PRETTY AH PRETTY" Jiho cheered on the other line, Seunghee took the phone away from Yooa and Mimi and looked at Jiho on the screen. After the ceremony, they went to their usual meeting place, which Hyojung and Hyejin really missed a lot. The two graduated a year ago and is now starting a cafe business nearby the university premises where the group sometimes meet up. Now since Shiah has graduated, Mimi, Seunghee, Yubin and Arin would be left in the school and for sure they will be hanging out more in Hyojung and Hyejin's cafe more than this room. So they chose to stay the day here.

 

"Hey why aren't you reading my messages huh?" Seunghee even pouted. They heard Jiho laughing, this has been their set-up from time to time whenever the group gathers in one place. If they're lucky, Jiho would be facetiming with them and so she wouldn't be left out of the group's conversations. Mimi knew that Jiho is trying to avoid them sometimes, so she tries her best to keep being in touch with Jiho. It maybe because of Arin that she's avoiding them but the group shouldn't be affected by what happened between the two and.. Jiho needs her friends. Mimi knows it. 

 

"You okay?" Shiah asks, hugging Mimi's arm. The girl smiled at her. The make-up that Shiah was wearing today isn't thick at all, she looks so natural and.. so pretty. I want to kiss her. But of course, they're in public and they both don't want to hear their friends whining at them being PDA. 


"I'm so happy for you." Mihyun says softly, wrapping her arm around the other girl. "Sorry for the roses, I swear they're really pretty when I bought them this morning."

 

"Hey, I love them, don't worry. I love everything you give me." As if they're in their own world, the two shared glances and smiles with each other. 

 

After a few seconds, a phone suddenly appeared in between their faces. Damn it was Seunghee. Jiho's face is in the screen, even laughing hard on the other line. "Jiho~ is~ watching~" Seunghee chanted. They heard the group laughing at Seunghee's wittiness. 

 

Mihyun looked at her friends. "Please tell me not to hit her." She asks, Shiah shakes her head immediately, warning Mimi but Hyojung tapped the table, Yubin, Hyejin and Arin, and even Jiho from the video call are all cheering for a Mimi-Seunghee fight. Well, they really are my friends.. 

 

Seunghee stood up, as if she's ready for boxing. Yubin and Arin was just on the corner, laughing at how chaotic their friends are. Mimi started running after Seunghee around that not so big room. Aish these kids.

 

"SEUNGHEE! MIMI! SEUNGHEE!! MIMI!!" Yooa heard Jiho cheering and adding fuel to the two fiery contestants of their very own friendly-type Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). 

 

 

"I told you not to fight." Shiah says (not so softly), her tone isn't good either.

 

"It's okay.. I can clean it on my own." Mihyun was holding on the desk of the chair she's sitting at. It's not that Shiah isn't happy that she has to clean a wound but she isn't happy to see Mimi with a big wound on her knee on her graduation day.

 

Seunghee and Mimi wouldn't stop running earlier, they're like kids, as Hyejin described them. They only stopped when Mihyun had to run on the chairs which caused her to fall, and now here Shiah is, treating her childish girlfriend's wound. Seunghee also fell and got a few bruises on her cheek because her face fell first and there she is,

 

"hey! Can't you do it more careful? It hurts okay!" Seunghee whined, Yubin on the other hand just scoffed and continued treating Seunghee's bruises, even pressing the cotton with the ointment harder on Seunghee's cheek. 

 

"SHE'S KILLING ME!"

 

"No! Shiah is killing me more!"

 

"I can't believe you two." Hyejin spoke, she handed the bandage to Yooa and Yubin stood up, letting Hyejin finish putting ointment on Seunghee's face. Yubin sat next to Arin once again and glanced on Jiho is still on the line, but she's busy doing something in her room, it's dark in her place, maybe it's night already? Hyojung and Arin stayed on their seats while waiting for them to finish with what they are doing (particularly just treating Mimi and Seunghee's wounds.)

 

"Hey, you said those words this morning too. Wow Seunghee and Mimi are on another level, making Hyejin say the same comment about them on different situations." Hyojung says, teasing the two who kept whining. Yubin heard Hyejin laughing along, "Look at Arin, she's a lot mature than you two." she says. Arin just smiled, feeling shy because Hyejin complimented her.


Yubin leaned on the back of her chair. She stared at her friends. Here's Hyojung next to her, clicking on her phone which Yubin assumes that she's ordering food for them all. Hyejin, after treating Seunghee's wound went to throw the used box of ointment on the trashcan. These two.. Yubin isn't the type of person who needs people to take care of her. She's used to be the one looking after her mom and Arin but when Hyojung and Hyejin came, she realized the feeling of being taken care of, the two really are like an older sister to her. Their group is actually a complete pack. There's Arin, the shy one. They have the jolly ones.. Seunghee and... Jiho. 

 

She glanced at the phone where she could see Jiho writing on her notebook, maybe she's studying. When Yubin looked at her right, she saw Seunghee pouting while checking her cheek through the glass on her phone. She cleared and looked away from Seunghee when the girl turned her gazed on Yubin. 

 

And.. there's Mimi and Yooa. At first, she really knew Yooa was a very studious person, and that her parents are strict. She loved how these two met, and how they love each other, makes Yubin wonder if they could get stronger in the next years. She hopes the two wouldn't end, their love story isn't like the usual ones, Well for the record, every love story is unique but Yubin like how Yooa and Mimi grew up and became mature(though Mimi is still so childish) when it comes to their relationship. She heard a few complaints from Yooa about Mimi this and that but at the end of the day, she'll see Yooa longing for Mimi. 

 

She saw Yooa patting Mimi's bandaged knee and laughed when Mimi whimpered. 

 

"Fiiine, sorry. Don't hit it anymore! I won't run like that again next time, promise." Mimi says, Yooa chuckles and sat next to Mimi. That's the usual position of the two as how Yubin always see them leaning against each other. There's no doubt that these two would never stop leaning on each other. They both know how to handle each other.

 

"Jealous?" A voice whispered against Yubin's left ear. Next to her was none other than Hyun Seunghee, she didn't even notice Seunghee sitting next to her. Yubin rolled her eyes and crossed her arms on her chest. 

 

"I told you to date me so you're not single-" 

 

Seunghee was cut off of course, Yubin's forehead flick is enough to shut her up.

 

"AAAAAAAAAAH Yubin FLICKED MY FOREHEAD!!!" 

 

or maybe not...