Lights On (Part 1)

OMW 2: Fallin All In

YOOA.

 

"Buy me a waffle too." Yooa cupped her face, her elbows resting on the table as she looked at Yubin but the girl ignored her. The two both had two free hours; Yooa's professor dismissed them early, but she doesn't know how Yubin got free hours and she's alone when she's supposed to be with Seunghee and Jiho who has the same class as her for that day, a GE. Ever since Mimi and Yooa started dating, Yubin has been hanging out with Yooa a lot. 

 

Which is weird because she used to be really too close with Jiho and Seunghee but Yooa could see that Yubin hangs out less with those two now. Yooa has some theories in mind. Whether Yubin is experiencing post-puberty problems, or that she's just busy, or she doesn't like Seunghee and Jiho's wits OR she has feelings for one of them.. could it be? Impossible.. or not?

 

Yooa stares at the girl across her who's busy with her phone.  Looking at the girl's face, she's really really pretty and baby-faced, she's also smart-- a study freak, and she's a person too; Yooa can say she has a crush on someone based on her observations. 

 

"Any plans on dating her?" Yooa asks, it was a complex and sneaky question. She didn't drop any name just in case. Yubin raised her head for a bit, giving a look to Yooa before going back to her phone. Aish this girl. 

 

"Nope." Yubin answered simply. Grinning because she confirmed that Yubin really is into someone now, Yooa rested her arms on the table as she leaned closer to Yubin.

 

"Tell me who is it." Yooa says, firmly. At this point, Yubin is the closest to her aside from Mimi because Arin has been hanging out a lot with Jiho these days and JinE is a busy senior so she at least wants Yubin to open up to her. 

 

"I mean, nope, I don't like someone so I don't have plans on dating anyone." Yubin smiled confidently, pushing Yooa's forehead with her thumb. Yooa immediately pulled back, her reflexes thought Yubin would flick her forehead.

 

"Then did you fight with Seunghee? Or Jiho?" Yooa tries again, but the girl ignored her, again. Running out of patience, Yooa took Yubin's phone away, the other girl tried to take it back but Yooa was faster. 

 

"Now, tell me why you're with me and not with Jiho... and Seunghee." The doll-like girl grinned when she saw Yubin sighing, giving up. Yubin turned around for a bit, as if checking if anyone is around or close to them. Yooa followed Yubin's gaze, Oh is this a top secret that she really doesn't wanna share?  

 

Yubin cleared first before facing Yooa again, the latter was anticipating. 

 

"I like her." Yubin spoke, a little quiet. Shy? Yooa chuckles, her assumption was right but there's one more thing to confirm.

 

"Who?" She asks, desperate to know who was it. It really intrigued her that Yubin -- her friend who just study, study and study(much like how she does) -- likes someone now. 

 

Yubin opened , ready to speak again but stopped as she looked at the person who placed a tray of food on the table, joining Yubin and Yooa. It was Mihyun. Yooa looked at her girlfriend and pouted. 

 

"Why are you here!" Yooa hits Mihyun's shoulder, dissatisfied that her conversation with Yubin was cut-off. Mihyun laughs and picks a piece of grilled meat. "Eat- girls. You two." She says before she munches on the food. Yubin smiled as she stared at the two.

 

Yooa was crossing her arms while watching Mihyun eat. With Yooa being busy glaring at Mihyun, Yubin sneakily takes her phone back from the table next to Yooa's arm. 

 

"Hey! Tell me about it later, when this big bear isn't here anymore." Yooa says, pinching Mihyun's arm. The latter laughing. Mihyun takes a sip from her bottled water then turned to face Yubin across her. 

 

"What were you two talking about? She even called me a big bear now!" Mihyun complained, rubbing her arm. Yubin just shrugged, giving Yooa a look to stay silent. "And where is Jiho? I thought she said she'll be with you today. She's sleeping at your house tonight, right?" Mihyun added, Yooa grinned as she looked at how Yubin blushed, hmm, Mihyun though is unbothered while eating.

 

Yubin heaved a deep sigh, Yooa saw a notification on Yubin's phone, the girl immediately turned off her phone but Yooa had a quick glance on who was it, Seunghee. Well this is confusing.

 

"So, what are your plans now?" Yubin asks, changing the topic. Yooa hummed, she only remember now that she's supposed to be planning on what she should do with her life now that her parents might kick her out. 

 

That's right, when she woke up yesterday on Mimi's place, she received a text from Junsun, telling her to stay in her apartment for a while. Their father is furious. According to Junsun, he got really mad that Yooa talked back to him. Yooa got a few calls from her mother but she refused to talk to her, for now, she doesn't want to talk to them. She had enough too. Mihyun told her to calm down, her girlfriend told her that it's just normal for parents to be this strict, but Mihyun also added that she knows Yooa is getting tired too. 

 

"I'm just here, I will always be here for you." That's what Mihyun told her, that whatever happens, she would be there for Yooa. 

 

Yooa knew she's at fault too, for not obeying her parents. But.. she's just really tired. All she did in her life was to obey their orders, as if she was a soldier. But she isn't, she's just a person too. 

 

This morning, Yooa got a call from Junsun. Her brother said that he heard their parents talking about what to do with Yooa. "I think.. mom would tell him about your girlfriend." Junsun says, Yooa thanked her brother for informing her. They usually fight a lot but when it comes to dealing with their parents, her brother was always there for Yooa.

 

It's either of the two; 

 

1. Yooa will have to leave the house on her own,

or

2. Her parents would kick her out.

 

Of course she wouldn't leave the house, she knows she can't live without her family. They are her family after all.. but she wants to take a rest for now, she wants to live according to what she wants. 

 

She just hopes she could live like a normal daughter.. and they could be just the normal type of parents, but they aren't. They're Yooa's parents after all.

 

"I'm planning to go back to the province this weekend." Mihyun says, finished with her food now. Yooa furrowed her eyebrows. "Why? I'll be alone if you will.." She says, today is Friday. Then it means Mihyun will leave tomorrow and Yooa will have to deal with her problems alone for two days.

 

"She's taking you with her." Yubin plainly says, getting the idea from Mimi's look. Mihyun nodded, Yooa though, wasn't expecting it. 

 

"I'm coming with you..?" She asks, confirming. Mihyun nodded again with a 'yep', wrapping her arm around Yooa, pulling her as she gave her a kiss on the temple. 

 

Yooa giggled and leaned against Mihyun, again, even with all these problems, her heart is happy. 

 

Yubin cleared once again. "Hello?? I'm still here." 

 

Yooa and Mihyun laughed before pulling away from each other. 

 

MIMI.

 

Took a morning ride, found a place up in my mind, no one else can see.. Maybe it's fate that we lose control, in circles around, we go..

 

When Mimi first came back to province on her first Christmas break, she felt this fluttering feeling; the one where she feels like going back to her childhood. The city was too busy compared to the province, which is why she feels different everytime she travels back and forth. Every time she comes back to province, she keeps feeling that way, making her feel really sentimental. The most recent time she did, she was with her parents and she was full of thoughts. That was the first time she couldn't enjoy her ride back home. 

 

Mimi also has been thinking of what are the possibilities of her future with Shiah, what could she do for Shiah, and what might happen to Shiah because of her family problems. After giving it some thoughts, Mimi came to a conclusion that all she could do is to satisfy Shiah and not make the girl regret her decision of getting back together with her. Mimi thought that maybe it's the right time to let Shiah visit her home. 

 

This time, Mimi's ride back home is more pleasing. She's holding her girlfriend's hand as they got off from her car. They were welcomed by Mimi's brother who opened the gate for Mimi to park her car inside. 

 

Shiah was quiet when they entered the house. Mimi wondered what was in Shiah's mind. Do you like it? Looks like she does, Shiah has been looking around the house with a smile. Mimi placed her backpack down on the table of the living room.

 

"Hyun noona!!" A kid came running from upstairs. Mimi pulled her hand away from Shiah for a while as she takes the boy on her arms. She looks back at her girlfriend, Shiah walked closer, smiling at the cuteness of the kid.

 

"He's my cousin, the one I told you I've been teaching." Mimi says proudly. 

 

Shiah laughed, "He- he's the one you compared to Jiho about tutoring? You compared Jiho to a kid?" 

 

Mimi nodded, confused what's wrong, but then realized that Shiah must be laughing because she only realized now that Jiho is like a kid. She's a kid though.. Mimi thought. 

 

"Hi, my name is Yoo Shiah. What's your name?" The kid giggled, turning back from Shiah as he hugged Mimi's neck. 

 

"She'th tho pretty." The kid whispered on Mimi's ear. Mimi chuckled and made him look at Shiah. "She's asking for your name, kiddo." She says, looking at Shiah whose attention was on the boy.

 

"Jung Thubin." It was Subin.. but he's still a kid. Shiah giggled. She cupped the kid's face, pinching his cheeks playfully. Subin seemed to enjoy it. 

 

"Mihyun! You're home." A voice called from the kitchen. Mimi placed Subin down on the couch, but the kid ran towards the door and there's where they saw Mihyun's uncle, the one who lend them a van back on the trip. Shiah bowed at him and Mimi's uncle smiled at them. 

 

"Go greet your mom, they're on the kitchen." He tells the couple as he picks up his kid. The father and son went outside and Mimi took Shiah's hand again. 

 

"Mom must be cooking." Mimi leads the way to the kitchen, she could feel Shiah's nervousness, her hands were trembling a little. Mimi looked at her girlfriend, smiling as she tuck some of Shiah's hair behind her hair. The girl smiled back at her while holding on the chain of her shoulder bag. To describe how Shiah looks, she's prettier than ever. Shiah really dressed up nicely for today, she told Mihyun that she'd like to make a pretty girl impression to her parents so she wore a simple brown dress and tied her hair in a ponytail. 

 

"They like you, you already met them right? Don't be nervous." Mimi assured her. 

 

Yooa nodded and smiled cheekily, Mihyun's words really comforted her. 

 

Mimi entered the kitchen with Shiah behind her. Mrs. Kim was wearing an apron, two other ladies were helping her out. When the woman saw them, she immediately removed her apron and placed it on the chair. Walking towards them, Mrs. Kim greeted them with a smile. 

 

She gave Shiah a hug. Mihyun knew her mom has always been excited to meet Shiah. 

 

"Oh my, you're as pretty as I could remember." Mrs. Kim says, staring at Shiah as if she was memorizing her features. 

 

"And you," Her mom faced Mimi, her hands rested on her hips. "Have you called your dad?" 

 

Mimi nodded, "Of course! He said he's on his way now." The mother hummed, it looks like she's thinking. Mimi and Shiah stayed silent as they wait for Mrs. Kim's response. 

 

"How about you show Shiah our house? And the guest room for her." 

 

"Mom she's sleeping at my room-" 

 

"No. I don't give you a permission to do that. I must take care of our dear Shiah."

 

"Mom! I'm your daughter here." Mihyun pouted, her mother lightly hit her shoulder. 

 

"That's why I'm taking care of her!" 

 

Yooa chuckles at how Mihyun is like a child wanting to buy a toy for herself. So to end the argument, she held Mihyun's arm to stop her. 

 

"Thank you for welcoming me, Mrs. Ki-" 

 

"Mom, call me mom." The woman says softly, taking Shiah's hand, lightly patting it. 

 

"Mom." Shiah responds, Mimi took note of how sincere the two most important women in her life are right now. 

 

"Now, go. I have to continue this so we can eat." Mrs. Kim shoo-ed them away with a little chuckle as she went back to the main kitchen. 

 

Mimi held Shiah's hand as they walk upstairs. She's also excited to show her home to Shiah. "Why are you so quiet?" Shiah asks while following Mimi. The latter stopped for a while and looked at her girl. 

 

"Well.. I'm thinking of where to go." Mimi answers with honesty. She has a lot of stories to tell Shiah on every part of their house but she doesn't know where to start. 

 

Shiah chuckles and takes Mimi's arm, hugging it as they continue walking on the hallway. "Show me your room then." Mimi heard Shiah speaking softly, the heat immediately rose up on her cheeks. 

 

"U-uh.. Yeah. Of course!" Mimi cleared , walking on the second closest door which is her room. There's actually much to see in Mimi's room, just a normal room for her but stuffy. On Mimi's last birthday, her mom decorated her room a little, she bought a big spiderman sticker for Mimi's wall. So there's a big web on the wall next to her door. Although her family's house is big, Mimi wanted to keep her room look small so she bought stuff to place here and there so her room seemed busy. 

 

"You play these?" Shiah asks, her eyes were busy scanning Mimi's room. Mimi closed the door behind her and looked at where Shiah is. 

 

"Ah.. I only know the basics, even on guitar. I get really busy most of the time I'm here that's why I can't practice much." Mimi explains, Shiah was talking about the piano on the corner of her room. Mimi sat on the edge of her bed as she watches her girlfriend look around the stuff on her room. 

 

"Your hands are so good," Shiah muttered, but Mimi heard it. She might not see Shiah's face right now because the girl is busy checking out the frames on her room's wall; those were her drawings, Mimi knows Shiah is grinning. "Skillful.. I mean." She added, Mimi gulped suddenly feeling nervous at the atmostphere. She shifted from her seat, resting her hands on her bed to relax herself. 

 

"Do you like it here?" Mimi asks, referring to her place. Her main agenda for this plan is to make Shiah feel better, she hopes she could. 

 

She saw Shiah nodding while turning to face her with a smile. "I love it here." Shiah says softly, she placed her bag down on the floor as she walked towards Mimi, casually resting her forearms on Mimi's shoulders. Mimi saw how Shiah stared at her as if she didn't spread Mimi's legs slightly while practically kneeling in between, pushing Mimi down on her bed. 

 

dinner.. mom will be calling us for dinner in any minute now.. are we really going to do this.. now? Those were Mimi's thoughts as she fought back with Shiah's gaze. Shiah's hands were on her shoulders, locking her on the bed. Shit, really? Mimi couldn't move her arms.. or her hands, and even her legs because of Shiah. She doesn't really know if this is a good idea, of course, she wants Shiah and she missed her but.. her mom or anyone in her family might just open the door anytime.

 

Until a smile grew on Shiah's lips, Mimi felt relieved. "You can breathe, it's just me." Shiah softly says and kissed her lips for about two seconds or three before pulling away, as if she wasn't like a tiger hunting her prey: Mimi, earlier. Shiah stood up 

 

Embarrassed by what just happened, Mimi who was left on the bed started stretching as she stood up as well. She started dusting off her bed using her hands to calm herself. At times like this, Shiah just really takes advantage of Mimi getting all shy when it's Shiah who leads her on. Seriously Mimi, you gotta try to be confident next time. She scolds herself. 

 

"I'm hungry.." Shiah says as she takes her bag, placing it on Mimi's bed. 

 

Only now when Mimi remembers that Shiah is like a baby still. So she took her girlfriends hand again, Shiah hugging her arm like how she did earlier as they walked out of the room. 

 

"Let's enjoy eating okay? Don't be shy with my family. You're a part of us now." Mimi says, hoping Shiah would get the idea. 

 

And she did. Shiah pinched Mimi's arm, whining. "Don't speak like thaaat, you're making my heart flutter." She said, making Mimi chuckle. 

 

After seconds, Mimi heard a faint sound of stomach growling. She must be really hungry. She smiled wide as she glanced at her pouting girlfriend. "Yeah.. did I make your stomach flutter too?" 

 

And Mimi got another pinch again.

 

--

 

"Is it good?" Mrs. Kim asks, pertaining to the food. Shiah nodded in response, with a huge smile and thumbs up. The woman seemed satisfied with the reaction. 

 

The dinner wasn't quiet like Mimi's last dinner with her family where she was down and stressed about her situation with Shiah. Her uncle and brother are really good at conversation, they could be comedians, Mimi's father too. 

 

"So, sis-in-law, did Mimi cry in front of you?" Minhyuk asks, Mimi knew he was teasing how she cried back in the car weeks ago so she tried to kick his feet under the table.

 

"Hey! That's cheating!" Minhyuk whines, their father threw a table napkin on Minhyuk's face, causing laughter on the table. Mimi laughed along, looking at how geniune Shiah's chuckle is. 

 

"Hm.." Shiah hummed, I haven't cried in front of her yet. "No.. she's always goofy." Shiah answers, smiling at Mimi. Mimi scratched her nape, is it a good thing or not? 

 

"I met Shiah months ago, she's really shy back then, always behind Mihyun." Her uncle shares while feeding Subin. Yeah.. she's so cute. Mimi's thoughts were all about Shiah at that moment. She loves how her family is bonding well with her girlfriend. 

 

"No need to be shy with us, Shiah.. I raised Mihyun well to take care of you." Mr. Kim says, as if bluffing. Mrs. Kim contradicts at instant. "I raised her better!" 

 

" Don't mind them, they're just really childish at times." Minhyuk says and Shiah just chuckled. Mimi was busy finishing her food when Minhyuk spoke again. "And I'm sorry for turning your father's proposal down." 

 

And that's when it went silent. Mimi cleared after drinking some water, ready to speak but her father tells them, "Whatever it is that would happen in our business should never affect your relationship with us. You alone is a part of our family, being Mihyun's girlfriend, Shiah." Mr. Kim took another piece of table napkin and cleaned off the crumbs on his lips. 

 

"If I have to talk to your parents about your relationship with Mihyun, don't hesitate to ask me. We will always support the two of you." He added. 

 

YOOA.

 

Junsun : Dad found out.

 

It was around 10 PM when Hyojung and Seunghee started being loud on their group chat again. The past weeks has been busy for the group that they couldn't meet as a whole or talk a lot even in the group chat. Right now, Yooa is resting on the guest room of Mihyun's house. She got really full from all the food that was served to her by Mihyun's mom. 

 

Jjungie : Hyejin and I just finished reviewing~~~~

Sseung : Can I come oveeer TT I'm all alone, Jiho is at Binrin's.

Hyejin : Sure, bring your rental fee too.

Sseung : HEY WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY AND HYOJUNG UNNIE DOESN'T 

Yoob : Seunghee, why are you mad?

Sseung : I'M NOT MAD

Mim : You guys are loud at night, are yall vampire or something?

You-a: Girls, have you eaten?

sent.

Jjungie : Yehh Hyejin cooked today.

Sseung : are you two dating or living together now???

Yoob : And what is it to you?

Hyejin : Nope

Sseung : i'M JUST ASKING.

Mim : Shasha I haven't eaten yet, feed me please. 

 

Yooa chuckles when she saw Mihyun's message. The dork she is. Cute. 

 

Sseung : I THOUGHT YOU'RE @ Mimi's place today, Yooa? 

Yoob : They are..

Yoob : flirting in front of our salad. 

Jjungie : Kids go to sleep now.

Hyejin : Right.

Sseung: WAIT- did Yubin just said "our" salad o.o

 

*1 new notification : Mii sent you a message.*

Mii : Open or Knock?

 

Yooa immediately sat up from her bed, glancing at the door. Is she outside? She hurriedly run to check her appearance on the mirror. It might not be obvious but she wants to always look good in front of Mihyun. She loves the girl so much, she wants to keep impressing her.

 

Mii : Are you asleep? 

 

She doesn't know why but she fixed the bed and made sure her dress and hair was okay before opening the door. Yooa was greeted by Mihyun's smile, looks like she got finished showering, her hair was still wet. Mihyun was holding a paperbag, and Yooa's shoulder bag on her shoulder, which Yooa only realizes that she left it in Mihyun's room earlier. Her girlfriend was wearing a plain white t-shirt and jersey shorts. Oh my god. The way Mihyun never failed to amuse Yooa's heart is really.. why is she so hot.  

 

"Mom told me to give this to you, her gift - I don't know what for but she said you can wear that tomorrow.. and you forgot this." Mihyun walked inside, Yooa saw that she locked the door. Biting her bottom lip unconsciously, she followed her girlfriend. Mihyun placed the paperbag on the side table and hung her shoulder bag on the side of the bed before faceing Yooa, who was suddenly why towards Mihyun. She can't explain it, sometimes she's bold, sometimes she feels shy. But it's Mihyun and that's the only explanation why she's feeling that way. 

 

"So.." Mihyun started as they sat next to each other on the bed. 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"What can you say about them?

 

Hm.. Yooa looks at Mihyun, she sighed softly before speaking. "I think, they really love you.. and I feel so welcome here, even when it's my first time being with them like this. It's like I got a new family.. I.. felt the same with our friends, but right now, my heart flutters a lot by the fact that I'm with you and your family. Although I get jealous at times.."

 

"Because you remember your parents?" Mihyun asks, Yooa nodded. Mihyun hummed as she leaned her back on the headboard of the bed,"Come here." she says, Yooa followed and cuddled against her girlfriend. 

 

"I wanted you to come here with me for some reasons.. first, I want to introduce you to my family." Mihyun slowly brushed Yooa's hair using her fingers. "And, I want you to realize that every family is unique in their own way.. and that family conflict would only be fixed by family members." 

 

Yooa stayed quiet, just earlier, her brother sent her a text. Their father already knows about her and Mihyun. Truthfully, she knew this would happen and today, while watching Mihyun's family, Yooa realized that honesty is one of the most important element of the concept of family. Mihyun's parents were really understanding.. and her parents are the opposite. She could just pray that at least, her parents would try to understand her, and would let her date Mihyun, or would be considerate of her feelings too. I just hope so. 

 

"Thank you.." Yooa says softly, hugging Mihyun tighter as she rests her head on her girlfriend's chest. 

 

"Get some sleep, we have a tour tomorrow." Mihyun kissed her forehead, Yooa smiled and hugged her for about 5-10 minutes of silence before she pulls away, shoo-ing Mihyun off her bed. "Your mom told you to sleep at your room." She says, grinning at how confused Mimi was, standing across her bed. She send her a flying kiss before hiding under the sheets.

 

"Noooo. I'll sleep with you." Mihyun jumped back in the bed, hovering on top of Yooa, the latter giggling while trying to hide from Mihyun. 

 

"Mii! Your mom would get mad!" 

 

"She wooon't" 

 

"I swear to god, Kim Mihyun."

 

"You can't swear, princess."

 

"They might hear us-"

 

"Shh.. they won't." And Mihyun successfully claimed Yooa once again.