left you out there standing, crestfallen on the landing

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚊𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚜

Discord AB Server

 

[Irenehyun]

Hi mga Lek, inaanyayahan po lahat ng miyembro ng AB sa susunod na MK! Ito ang huling MK para sa A.Y. na ito. Stay tuned na lamang sa details. See you there!

 

[Aseul]

Copy madam!

 

[irenescult]

Noted with thanks

 

[hyejollibee]

Wag daw noted, lek. Dapat daw “Consider it done”

 

[irenescult]

Ah oo nga pala, sige consider it done madam 👍

 


 

The dining area is as quiet as it can be. Her father is busy reading his daily newspaper and her mother is busy with her brand new cosmopolitan magazine. Wendy? Well, she’s busy thinking of ways she can explain to her father that Sitio is a Lustre-owned property already. And if he can change his mind on his plans. The last one is too impossible but she has to try, for Irene the people.

 

“Ah Seungwan, sit down and have breakfast with us.” Her father lifts his head from the newspaper slightly.

 

“Goodmorning Anak, how was your sleep?” Her mother ever so softly greets her.

 

Wendy nods, “Slept well, Ma.” Then turns to her father, “Dad, I have something to tell you po.”

 

Half of his attention was on Wendy, ears perking up to listen at the hopefully good news. Something about Sitio San Roque, perhaps?

 

“The land’s yours Dad. I closed the deal yesterday with the owner and demolition can start in 2 months. You just have to present the papers certifying that the Barangay is allowing you to demolish the place.”

 

Wendy did not disappoint. Her father has a tight lipped smile plastered on his face, more than what she sees ever since she was little. This must be his happy face, Wendy thinks.

 

“The land is ours, Wendy.” He praises his daughter, “Congratulations! Sabi ko na nga ba I did the right thing by appointing you for that job.”

 

In contrast to her father’s happiness is Wendy’s melancholic mood. Every laugh she lets out with her family sounds weightless and dead, like she’s a dead woman walking. The Lustre Inc., got what they wanted, to beat the Ayalas’ and become the most successful business established in the Philippines but at the cost of the lives of those innocent Filipinos?

 

Wendy may complain all the time during those MK sessions with Irene and her minions but she picks up a few lessons here and there. One that touches her emotions well. So the next sentence she utters was out of her control.

 

“Dad, do we really have to go through this whole Sitio plan?”

 

With a sentence, her Father’s smile gets immediately wiped off. “Choose your next words wisely, Seungwan. Alam mong ayokong may nasisira sa mga plans ko.”

 

Wendy nods timidly. “I just—there are innocent families living there. We’ll be taking their home awa—“ Her voice almost cracks at the end but her father was quick to cut her off.

 

The man sitting at the designated chair for the man of the house slams his fist on the table, making Wendy and her mother flinch in fear.

 

“I don’t give a damn on who lives there or who doesn't! This is going to secure us billions of pesos and can fund another international business company like the one in Canada.” Her Father nearly screams his head off. “Kaya bago ko pa baguhin yung isip ko na ibigay sayo ang credit ng accomplishment na to, better get yourself straightened out!”

 

Wendy smiles sadly at her mother who’s sending her pity looks. She stands up, dusts off her pants, then walks away from the dining table. Leaving a scoffing Father and a silent Mother.

 

She tried to salvage what Irene was fighting for but sadly, her Father cannot be stopped. It takes ten influential business tycoons to bring down a powerful man like Mr. Lustre.

 

Wait, why is she even trying to help Irene? Wasn’t she trying to bring the Iska girl down?

 

Wendy grips her phone tightly, focusing on the conversation between her and her father. She expected her father to have a reaction quite similar to that but she never knew he’d be this heartless. If only he could see the heartbreaking stares of those soon-to-be-homeless families. 

 

Her phone made 2 buzzes, indicating she’s gotten 2 messages. One from Jennie Ko, her rival in the Presidential position, and one from Irene, the girl she can’t face nor talk to right now.

 

[Jennie Ko (AB Psych)]

Forgot to congratulate you, my toughest competition.

You did well! 👏

 

[Wendy Lustre]

Oh, thank you Jennie 😊

You’re a great sport, too!

 

[Jennie Ko (AB Psych)]

Hays, I should’ve known better than to run against the most famous student in the Uni 😩

 

[Wendy Lustre]

You’re pretty well-known too, Jennie hahaha

 

[Jennie Ko (AB Psych)]

Alright, I’ll believe you this time 😉

 

She leaves Jennie Ko’s message as read. Hesitantly opening Irene’s message, she breathes out in relief as it was only a message for all the MK attendees.

 

[Irene]

Pagpupugay na Umaga sa inyong lahat! Ang location po ng MK natin ay parehas pa rin po katulad noong nakaraan. Kita kits tayong lahat mamayang 4pm, mga Lek!

 

, she has to look at Irene without showing any signs of guilt. She has to talk to Seulgi without breaking down from the situation she put herself in. She is—to put it in a professional manner—in a pickle.

 


 

“This is nice ha,” Wendy says after taking a bite out of her fried dimsum. They’re dining alfresco in one of UST’s famous eateries.

 

If you asked Wendy to eat at Angkong a few months before this, she’d definitely look you straight in the eye and stare as if you’re the dumbest person in the world. But for some strange reason, the thought of eating in a cheap place doesn’t bother her anymore.

 

Perhaps that strange reason is a girl named Irene.

 

Before her mind could even think of the bespectacled girl and the possible outcome later, Wendy hears a loud gasp coming from across the table.

 

“Pre tama ba tong narinig ko? Nasarapan si Lustre sa siksti pesos na Angkong?” Lisa exclaims while dramatically shaking Jieun in disbelief to tease Wendy. Jieun shoves Lisa’s annoying because her pork dumpling almost fell from her fork.

 

“Gago ka talaga Lisa nanahimik si Ji, ayan muntik pa mahulog yung pagkain oh!” Seulgi remarked. The three Thomasians laughed out loud, while Wendy shook her head at their antics.

 

“I mean, the food is nice… I don’t really care that much about the presyo of what I’m eating these days, as long as it’s safe.” Wendy rebuts.

 

Seulgi grins. “I think I know why.”

 

Wendy gives Seulgi a pointed look. Seulgi ignores her best friend then continues to eat her food. They continue to finish their meal as they will need to go to the MK soon.

 

Jieun breaks the silence after a few seconds. “Oy Seulgi, pansin ko lang, bakit pag kami kausap mo, barubal ka, pero pag si Wendy, nagiging conyo ka rin ha. Very unfairnism ha!”

 

“Oo nga, parang nakakasama ng damdamin eh. Gusto ko conyo rin tayo. Ji, gago go finish your siomai na, it will get malamig na omg it won’t be masarap na sige ka pre haha gago,”

 

“Omg pare you’re tama, I need to make kain na the dumplings, oo dumplings dapat pag pangmayaman, so that they won’t get malamig. Tara na pare let’s eat then make palibre kay Wendy the mango bravo from across the street.”

 

Wendy isn’t offended, not at the slightest. Meanwhile, Seulgi stands up to stand behind their two friends, to bump their heads with each other. Lisa and Jieun groan at the impact, causing the other two to laugh.

 

They finished their meals with smiles on their faces. However, Wendy’s mind is frowning upon the idea of interacting with Irene later, coming up with ways to act as if everything is fine.

 


 

“Hi guys,  hanap na kayo ng upuan, mag-start na tayo in a few.” Bati ni Irene sa mga newcomers.

 

Nahagip ng tingin niya ang mga dalawang pamilyar na babaeng halos magkadikit na pumasok sa venue. Walang iba kung hindi sina Seulgi at Wendy Lustre.

 

Biglang sumagi sa isip niya ang sinabi ni Seulgi noon,

 

“Paano mo naman nalaman na wala siya? Kaibigan mo ba siya?”

 

“She’s my ex.”

 

Pakunwaring hindi niya nakita ang dalawa at mabilis na tumalikod para ayusin ang mga gagamiting materyales. Sa loob-loob niya, ay may hindi siya maintindihang pakiramdam nang makitang magkasamang dumating ang mag-ex.

 

Nagnakaw siya ng tingin sa dalawa, at mukhang maayos naman ang pakikitungo nitong dalawa sa isa’t isa dahil magkatabi pa ito sa upuan. Di niya napansin na napatagal ang pagtitig niya nang tawagin siya ng isang kasamahan para magtanong. Nang makaalis na ang kausap ay di na niya napigilang tumingin uli sa gawi nina Wendy at Seulgi.

 

Laking gulat niya nang ang bumungad sa kaniya ay si Seulgi na may hinalikang babae sa labi. Mukhang kadarating lang ng babae; matangkad ito at may mahabang buhok. Nang umupo na ito sa tabi ni Seulgi ay saka lamang niya naaninag ang mukha nito. Maganda siya at mukhang mayaman ang aura.

 

Tumalikod uli siya para i-proseso ang nakita. So hindi nagkabalikan yung dalawa?

 

Napabuntong hininga si Irene nang marealize ang situation. 

 

Luh, teka? Bakit parang nawalan ako ng tinik sa lalamunan?

 

Umiling na lamang si Irene at nagpatuloy sa ginagawa. Mahaba-habang araw ito.

 


 

“And that is why karamihan sa mga manggagawa ngayon ay mahirap pa rin. Isipin niyo na lang na lagi silang ine-exploit ng big companies at businessmen tapos di sila properly compensated for their hard work.”

 

The last day of Wendy’s MK turns out to be a complete shade on her family’s business. It may not be a direct attack on her family but she is not oblivious; Irene’s subtle remarks on the labor force along with big businesses taking advantage of people drowning in poverty is her way indirectly dissing the Lustre Inc.,. Her family gives people jobs and pays them to survive,  what more do these activists want from them?

 

She may be feeling a little bit guilty from the situation earlier today but with the way Irene’s nitpicking her, she may as well throw the guilt away.

 

Wendy has to address this with the speaker later tonight. Spreading malicious comments and misinforming the people about the well-established name Lustre is an offense and bruises her ego.

 

“Take Lustre for example,” Irene says as she gives her special guest a pointed look, “Miss Lustre, can you enlighten us on what is the minimum salary in your company? Yung para sa empleyado niyong walang educational background ha?”

 

There it is. The direct attack she’s been waiting for awhile now, Irene knows her way around the heir’s mind. But Wendy won’t give her the satisfaction of winning, she can still salvage what’s left of her dignity.

 

“For an office clerk, the salary cap is 18,000 pesos per month.”

 

“Office clerk? Diba kailangan pa rin ng educational background dun? I was talking about janitors and other low paying jobs you have in your company.”

 

She doesn’t like the way Irene is staring her down. Wendy Lustre does not deserve to be stared down and belittled especially in front of some people. Not many, just a few people with names Wendy can’t be bothered to memorize since this is the last day she’ll be seeing them.

 

“Salary for a janitor is 12,500 pesos per month.” Wendy says without losing her composure.

 

Irene hums, “Is that the salary that they deserve, Miss Lustre?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I-consider natin yung hardwork nila pati yung working hours nila. Nililinis nila ang buong building na pinag memeetingan ng Father mo and his cronies for 12,500 pesos a month?” Irene asks monotonously, “So tell me Miss Lustre, enough na ba yung 12,500 para mabuhay sila?”

 

Had someone informed Wendy that today’s MK will be centered around her humiliation, she would’ve called off hers and Irene’s deal and let the latter’s group protest wherever they want. Reymundo’s tactic of cornering her and waiting for Wendy to slip up is evident by the expression on her face. She wants to fuel up her anger against Wendy’s family who never did anything to her (-besides take the area that they are fighting for but business is business, right?-)

 

“Yes, it is.”

 

A few gasps were heard around the room. Even Seulgi, her bestfriend, was shocked to hear this from her.

 

“Oh.” Wendy just knows the little devil inside Irene’s head is celebrating after getting the reaction she’s waiting for from her koleks . “Kailangan na kailangan mo na talagang buksan mata mo sa nangyayari, Miss Lustre. 12,500 is not enough to put food on the table, let alone feed a family of five.”

 

“I respectfully disagree, Miss Reymundo. They’re still alive, they can still work, meaning the amount of their salary is livable.”

 

“Kasi kailangan! They are forced to get up and work to put food on the table, not because it’s livable.”

 

“If they budget their money well, it will be livable.”

 

Irene scoffs at the typical Lustre answer. “Wala na silang oras at kakayahan para magbadyet ng pera nila. Yung gutom at pangangailangan ng pamilya nila ang uunahin nila kesa sa mga investments na yan. Hindi lahat maraming pera para iwaldas kung saan saan, Lustre. And everyone deserves to live a comfortable life like you. Ang gumising kada umaga na walang takot kung saan nila kukunin ang ipapambili ng ipapakain sa pamilya nila--”

 

“Okay! Lek, what if bumalik na tayo sa MK? Baka kasi di na naman matapos to at gutom na gutom na ko Lek Irene. ” Says one of Irene’s kolek . Looks like they’re close enough for them to address Irene like their closest friend.

 

Every second feels like a minute. Everything about today’s topic bores the heiress to death. Her eyes were set on the speaker, not because she wants Irene to melt but because no matter how infuriating Irene Reymundo is when she opens , she is still a sight to see. Wendy’s saying that as a heteroual woman, of course.

 

“At doon nagtatapos ang huling parte ng MK natin. Salamat sa pagdalo mga leks!” Irene bids farewell cheerfully to everyone except her. Not like she’s expecting a warm goodbye from the girl, they did not exactly have a great day today.

 

One by one, everyone left the place. Leaving Wendy and Irene alone again.

 

“You really hate me, don’t you?” Wendy questions after every person has left the area.

 

“Hate is a strong word, Miss Lustre. I only hate those who oppress my fellowmen.”

 

Usually, Wendy has a witty rebuttal that could counter Irene’s all too serious statement but right now she has none. One wrong answer and she’ll send Irene far away from her. That is the last thing she wants.

 

A buzz snaps her out of her daze.

 

[Seul 🐻🐯]: 

Una na ko!

Goodluck sayo, iykwim 😉

 

Wendy can only shake her head in response to Seulgi's weird message. Her bestfriend will jump at every opportunity to .

 

“Hindi ka pa aalis?” The speaker asks as soon as she finishes cleaning up the place. 

 

“Nope,” Wendy denies. “I figured you don’t have someone to accompany you home so I’ll drive you to your apartment ulit.”

 

Irene looks at Wendy — her eyes scream shock and confusion but she’s quick to mask it with her usual emotionless stare. Irene’s beautiful, Wendy mentally notes. From the shade of her eyes, to her amazing nose bridge, down to her plump lips. Lips?

 

God, she hopes Irene didn’t catch the way she stared at her lips.

 

“Dito ang tingin, Lustre.” , Irene did. Wendy follows Irene’s command like a lapdog. “Kaya kong umuwi mag-isa, malinaw? Hindi ko kailangan ng may maghahatid sakin.”

 

“Yeah but—“

 

“But wala. Kaya shoo, umuwi ka na para makaalis na rin ako.”

 

Wendy tries to convince Irene. From the room, to the hallway, and before they know it they’re already in front of Wendy’s car. 

 

“Bummer, we’re already here so I might as well give you a lift home right?” 

 

Irene flashes her a mocking smile. “Wrong. Umuwi ka na, 10 mins na lakad lang galing dito yung apartment ko kaya okay na ko.”

 

Irene can plead all she wants, or walk away from Wendy’s car all she wants, but the heiress is not born stupid nor obedient. She starts her car then follows the walking girl, not minding the few car horns she hears. 

 

Everything was going according to plan. She was about to accompany Irene home to make sure she arrived safely. Even though this looks creepy to an outsider. Everything was perfect until it wasn’t. Irene stopped in front of her car and she had to step on the breaks fast.

 

“Di ka ba titigil?” Irene says with her hands on her hips. 

 

“I told you, I’ll drive you home.” 

 

Irene glares at the driver and scoffs. “And I said no, hindi mo ba alam na ang meaning ng No is a big fat ayoko, hindi pwede, No!”

 

Wendy pauses for a second and gives Irene’s question a thought. She turns off the headlights of her car as well as her engine. 

 

“I know what no means but I can’t accept your no if it means letting you go home alone in the dark.” Wendy says as a matter of fact.

 

“Bakit? Ano bang pake mo kung maglakad ako mag-isa pauwi? Lagi ko kayang ginagawa yun dati.” Irene interjects.

 

“Dati! Before—“ Wendy stops herself from talking before—

 

Before what exactly?

 

Wendy asks herself that question.

 

“Before?”

 

“That’s before pa! So, can’t I just take you home?” Wendy offers once again, “Come on, this is the last day we’ll see each other face to face anyway.”

 

Saying those words makes her heart sink. The hard slap of reality finally hit Wendy’s face. This is the last day of MK, the last day of having a reason to annoy Irene till she agrees to let the heiress drive her home.

 

And the last chance to tell Irene that no matter how much they protest in front of Sitio San Roque, the deal is final. No amount of frustrated screaming will stop her dad and his business partners from turning the land into a new business attraction. 

 

So here she is, trying to make it up to Irene by treating her nicely. Hoping Irene would forget about Sitio and everything Wendy has to do with it.

 

“Fine!” Irene says then forcefully opens Wendy’s car door. Wendy hears her heart crack a little bit, this car is her most precious baby. It’s hard to get a Tesla in the Philippines. 

 

She prides herself for being persuasive with her father’s business partners. This one is different, Irene is a tough nut to crack. So when Irene finally agrees to let Wendy take her home, she took that as an accomplishment for today.

 

“Pero magkikita pa rin naman tayo sa Sitio. Di kami mabilis matinag, Lustre.” Irene sends a playful wink her way to which she responds with a forced chuckle. Irene will hate her so much she’d rather wipe her own existence from Earth than live to see Irene’s rage every time she sees her.

 

So basically Irene Reymundo before but ten times worse.

 


 

bzzzt

 

Wendy’s phone snaps her out of her thoughts which involve a certain girl from Diliman. She failed to inform Irene on the news. Sighing, she fishes her phone out of her pocket to check the message. Her brow furrowed in confusion as she reads the message.

 

“GTEND.”

 

“Huh? What is this?” She checks the sender’s name. Ah, it’s Irene.

 

She types out a reply, her mind pushing the guilt at the backburner for a while.

 

[Reymundo]

GTEND

 

[Wendy]

?

What is this?

tend…?

 

[Reymundo]

Wrong send!

Hoy Lustre ang bastos mo, promo yan ng Globe para maextend yung GoSurf ko!

Ewan ko sayo hmp

 

[Wendy]

Sus, very sus

If I didn’t know any better, I’d assume you’re trying to get into my pants, Irene.

 

A few seconds passed and Wendy has yet to receive a reply from Irene. Thoughts such as “, does she know already?” and “was that too much?” crossed her mind.

 

bzzzt

 

She immediately snapped out of her thoughts and checked her phone.

 

[Reymundo]

Asa ka naman. Wala akong time sa ganyan. 

 

Wendy felt disappointed after reading the message, for some weird reason.

 

[Reymundo]

...Ikaw ba? Sobrang busy mo rin, di ba? May time ka ba para sa mga ganyan?

 


 

Mukhang mapayapang nagbabasa ng notes si Irene para sa kaniyang nalalapit na finals nang biglang pumasok ang isang Wheein Dela Cruz sa kwarto nang walang alarm alarm or anything.

 

“Ay Lu—mbay!” Sambit ni Irene dahil sa gulat na ikinatawa naman ng kaniyang kasama.

 

“Sige sis kunwari nalang lumbay talaga yung sasabihin mo.”

 

Jusniya. Sa totoo lang ay hirap na magfocus si Irene dahil sa kaganapan kanina.

 

*Balik-gunita*

 

[Irene]

...Ikaw ba? Sobrang busy mo rin, di ba? May time ka ba para sa mga ganyan?

 

Pasimpleng tanong ni Irene kay Wendy. Curious naman talaga siya. She saw the chance na matanong si Wendy sa buhay nito, and she took it. Hindi naman niya ineexpect na sagutin siya nito, kaya nagulat siya nang madaanan ng paningin niya ang halos isang paragraph na text mula kay Wendy.


 

[Lustre]

If I’m being honest, I’ve never really given “love” any thought. I’m focused right now sa studies, business, and with the student council adding to my plate, I doubt if I can even squeeze it in. Perhaps… I’m not built to be loved? I have too many issues. Ew. I’m getting sappy here.

 

Interesting. Napaisip si Irene sandali at napakunot ang noo nang may maalala siyang impormasyon. 

Hindi ba’t may nakaraan sina Wendy at Seulgi? If she can recall correctly, sinabi ni Seulgi na ex niya si Wendy.

 

Nag-umpisa nang i-type ni Irene ang susunod niyang mensahe.

 

[Irene typing]

Ha? As in never? Eh di ba nagka-ex ka na--

 

Muntik nang ma-isend ni Irene ang text. Buti na lamang ay nahuli niya ang sarili bago pa man ito magawa. Sikreto nga lang pala dapat nila ni Seulgi ito. Baka kung ano pang mangyari kung malaman ni Wendy na “na-out” siya sa iba nang wala itong kamalay-malay.

 

Next time na lang siguro. 

 

Binura niya ang na-compose na message at nagtype uli ng bago.

 

[Irene]

Hmm, I can’t blame you. I understand naman na mas maraming bagay na dapat i-prioritize kaysa sa love. Pero grabe naman yung “I’m not built to be loved”. Lahat naman tayo may flaws, may issues, but that doesn’t mean na hindi na tayo deserving ng pagmamahal ng iba. If may mga taong “built to be loved”, then may manual ba na required para matutunan ito? Well, sige, kung ganyan ang logic mo, ganito na lang isipin mo: may taong dadating naman para matutunan tayong mahalin, kahit sobrang hirap basahin ng manual di ba? Eh kaso hindi ka naman robot, parang lang. Conyong robot. Hehe.

 

Natawa nang mahina si Irene sa na-send. Di rin niya alam kung bakit yun ang reply niya kay Wendy. Ilang segundo ang lumipas pero di pa rin siya nakakatanggap ng text mula sa kausap. Kaya sinundan pa niya ito ng text message. Pampalighten ng mood, kumbaga.

 

[Irene]

Oy baka sumakit tiyan mo diyan kakatawa. Oo na, funny ako.

Anyway, okay lang magpaka-sappy, di naman ako judger, Wendy.

 

bssst

 

[Lustre]

Wow, first name basis?

 

Aba, ang haba ng sinabi ko tapos yan lang ang reply? Sus.

 

[Irene]

Oo baket? Ikaw kaya nagsimula, kala mo di ko napansin ha. Irene tawag mo sakin kanina. Yie, friends na tayo? Okay lang naman sakin.

 

At this point, di na talaga alam ni Irene kung ano ang sumapi sa kaniya at ganyan siya kakomportable kausapin si Wendy sa text. Baka dahil hindi sila magkaharap ngayon? 

At saka, ano naman kung maging magkaibigan sila? Mas maganda nga yun, at least maeexpose si Wendy sa buhay ni Irene, if ever.

 

[Lustre]

Whatever, I typed your name because your surname is so mahaba.

 

Ay dios niya, akala naman ni Irene ay lumalambot na ang matigas na pu--

 

[Lustre]

But sure. Friends.

 

Noong oras na iyon, ay binulabog ang Unit 210 ng isang matinis na sigaw.

 

*Pagtatapos ng pagbabalik-gunita*

 

Inirapan ni Irene si Wheein at bumalik sa pag-aaral. Hindi niya kayang makakuha ng mababang grado lalo na’t running for Laude pa siya. Naiintindihan naman iyon ni Wheein pero may kailangang malaman si Irene. Di lang sigurado kung dapat niya bang sabihin ngayon kung kailan masinsinang nag-aaral ang dalaga o pagkatapos na ng Final Exams nila kung kailan sasabog na ang balita at malalaman niya na lang bigla sa TV News Stations.

 

Bago pa man siya makatalikod para lumabas ng kwarto ay biglang nagsalita ang dormmate niya.

 

“May kailangan ka pa?” Tanong ni Irene.

 

“Hmmm,” Palipat lipat ang tingin ni Wheein. Mula kay Irene papunta sa paa niya pati na rin sa bintana na nasa bandang kanan nila. “Maynakitakasiakosatwittertaposalamkongmaiiniska.”

 

“Ha?”

 

Humingang malalim si Wheein. “May nakita kasi ako sa twitter tapos alam kong maiinis ka.”

 

Ikinabahala naman ito ni Irene dahil hindi napapraning nang basta-basta ang kanyang kaibigan kung alam naman niyang hindi siya masyadong maaapektuhan. Ang mga tanong na umiikot sa isip niya ay kung dapat bang tingnan niya yung social media account niya para malaman ang tungkol sa sinasabi ni Wheein o ituloy ang pag-aaral para sa nalalapit na exam? At kung ano na kaya ang ginagawa ng bago niyang kaibigan. Malapit na kaya niyang marekluta si Wendy Lustre? O kahit magbago man lang ang isip niya tungkol sa Sitio San Roque? May pag-asa pa naman para sa taga-pagmana.

 

Napangiti siya sa ideyang tutulong na si Wendy sa mga maralita. Na iba naman talaga siya kaysa sa mga taong naka-paligid sakanya. Pero yun lang ba talaga ang dahilan kung bakit siya napapangiti tuwing naiisip ang Atenista?

 

Ginising niya ang kanyang sarili dahil naalala niyang may pinag-uusapan pa sila ni Wheein. Kung ano man ang laman nito, hindi naman siguro masisira ang araw niya diba?

 

“Akin na nga yan, ano bang meron?” Dali-daling inagaw ni Irene ang cellphone ni Wheein. Akmang pipigilan na sana siya ni Wheein na mabasa kung ano ang nakalagay sa phone niya ngunit mas mabilis gumalaw si Irene.

 

@manilabulletin: Lustre Inc. unveils their new project on Sitio San Roque. The heiress to the company was given full credit for the success of this project.

 

Gustong sumigaw ni Irene pagkatapos niyang mabasa ang artikulo tungkol sa lupang pinaglalaban niya. Tungkol sa problemang inilahad niya sa mismong taong binalewala ang lahat ng MK. Natalo siya nang walang kalaban-laban. Hindi man lang siya hinayaan ni Wendy at ng pamilya niya na isigaw ang mga hinanaing nila, ang mga dahilan kung bakit hindi na dapat tayuan pa ng panibagong Mall ang lugar kung saan nakatira ang mga taong hirap na hirap na sa buhay. Gusto ni Irene magwala, magdabog.

 

Pero ang tanging nagawa na lang niya ay lumuha.

 

[Irene]

Bakit, Wendy?