how many secrets can you keep

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚊𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚜

Disbelief and anger are the emotions showing up on Irene Reymundo’s face, it almost made Wendy chuckle with how pathetic the girl looked. She should know by now that battling face to face with a Lustre is an automatic loss to the opponent. Lustres never lose, hell must turn cold and heaven must be led by Satan first before her father let his family name get dragged down.

 

“Business? Lagi nalang ba business iisipin niyo? Wala na silang matitirhan tapos papalayasin niyo pa?!” Irene shouted, assuring that everyone around them hears her.

 

“PALAYASIN ANG MGA LUSTRE”

“PAHIRAP! GAHAMAN!”

“HANDS OFF SITIO SAN ROQUE!”

 

Various protesters screamed their lungs out to gain attention from passersby.

 

“Wendy, we can’t delay the schedule.” Jaehyun whispered beside her. “Your father will ki—“

 

Wendy raised her hand to interrupt the guy from talking. “I know what I’m doing. Just contact Mr. Choi, I’ll handle the commotion here.”

 

“Are you sure? They’re violent.”

 

“Don’t let my father know.” Wendy said with finality in her voice.

 

Jaehyun nodded and walked away from the crowd. Wendy thought of a way to settle the event unfolding before her to avoid humiliating her Father’s name. Strategic thinking is her forte; even as a young girl, her parents screwed the skill in her mind like a nail. 

 

“Ano na namang inutos mo sa lalaking yon? Magdadala kayo ng extra force ha?! That is against the law, fyi Ms. Lustre.” Irene Reymundo, very feisty but all bark no bite. Wendy made a mental note to remember this the next time they encounter each other again.

 

Wendy smiled, “Okay I think I know what you need,” she retrieves her chequebook, “How much do you need, Ms. Reymundo?”

 

Irene scoffed, “Akala mo ba sakin mukha akong pera?! I don’t need money from your privileged self. Ang kailangan ko ay lumayas kayo dito at wag niyong guguluhin ang mga taong nakatira dito!”

 

“HANDS OFF SITIO SAN ROQUE”

 

Only a matter of time till her father finds out about this and she hopes Irene wakes up to the reality that she will never win against Wendy, more or less her Father. And she’s unsure whether to be glad or scared for Irene’s life.

 


 

How many bottles has it been? 6? 7? Seulgi lost count. All she can think of is how stupid her best friend can be to let her father control her life and keep her on a tight leash like a dog programmed to follow their owner despite their abusive and manipulative tendencies. Is it evil of her to want the best for Wendy? This whole agenda of her dad wanting the rights of the marginalized be stripped off and grab the land of Sitio taught her to save Wendy as early as she can before she gets a room in the 6th circle of hell like her dad.

 

But just the thought of her best friend makes her blood boil.

 

“Seul gago chill ka lang, baka mabasag bote niyan.” Lisa says humorously.

 

Seulgi glared at the clown beside her, “Tangina kasi pre, masama bang maghangad ng mas magandang buhay para sakaniya?”

 

“Teka para kanino ba?” Ji-eun asked.

 

“Basta.” Seulgi hissed, downing another bottle of beer in one go.

 

Lisa slapped Seulgi’s hand away when the latter tried to grab another bottle from the bucket. Every person in the room right now could tell that the bear-looking girl they are with is drunk. Seulgi’s known to be a lightweight anyway.

 

“Panira ka trip tol.”

 

“Wala kong balak maglinis ng suka mo,” Lisa answered, “Mahiya ka naman kay Joy, baka magkalat ka dito tas mag viral ka. Ekis ka na agad, mataas pa naman standards ng Lasallista.”

 

“Ah so below average lang ako ganun?” Seulgi taunted her good-for-nothing friend.

 

“Ikaw nagsabi niyan ah.” Lisa sarcastically raised her hand in surrender.

 

Ji-eun laughed on the side as the scene unfolds before her eyes. She’s gotten used to the banter between the two, must be their huge ego and wannabe big energy, and it’s been her best source of entertainment. The two never resorted to getting physical anyway so no harm, no foul.

 

“Yun pinaparating mo eh!” Seulgi’s voice raised a bit.

 

“Pre, sinasabi ko lang naman na pag nagkalat ka matuturn off si Joy. Ikaw tong nagjujump into conclusions eh.” Lisa elaborated, teasing Seulgi even more.

 

“Bat di ikaw mag jump?” The weak clapback from Seulgi made Lisa laugh.

 

“Yun na yon?”

 

“Oo, puta ka. Di ka sana magka-jowa.”

 

Lisa rolled her eyes before retorting, “Kaya wala akong jowa, kasi ayaw ko pang magkajowa. Single by choice ako, no.”

 

“Yeah, sure. Let’s just say that instead na ghinoghost ka ng mga kalandian mo after a week.”

 

“Mabait ako ngayon, so hindi na muna kita papatulan, Seul.” Lisa took a sip before speaking again, this time with seriousness written on her face. “Pero seryoso, ano bang problema? Alam mo naman na pwede mo sabihin samin yung naiisip mo eh, di ba Ji?”

 

Lisa shot a look at Ji-eun, to which the girl nodded in reply. Seulgi may be a teensy-weensy drunk (okay, she’s very drunk), but she can feel the sincerity behind her friend’s tone. 

 

“It’s a Wendy situation. Again.”

 

Despite her blurry vision, she could see Ji-eun’s mouth forming an o, while Lisa just pursed her lips.

 

“Puro na lang Wendy ah. In love ka na ba don ha?” Ji-eun jokes, to which Seulgi feigned disgust to. Sure, Wendy is like the ideal woman of this generation, but she can’t see her bestfriend that way.

 

“Tangina mandiri ka nga,” Seulgi slurred, struggling to explain her situation in her drunken state. She heard her friends laugh. 

 

“Ano kasi,” Seulgi started, catching her friends’ attention. “Di ba nga sumali ako ng mass org? *hik* Yung lupa na pinaglalaban namin mula sa mga Ayala, gusto rin angkinin ng mga Lustre. Ng family ni Wendy.”

 

“Wait, San Roque ba to?” Ji-eun asked. Seulgi nodded quietly. She saw the former’s eyes widen in surprise.

 

“Oh !” The raven-haired girl exclaimed. “Don nagpunta yung iba kong ka-org ah! Wait, kasali ka ba sa discord server ng nationwide org?”

 

“Oo, baket?” Seulgi asked, confused at her friend.

 

“Bago lang ako, pero sumali ako PS! Di ako nakapunta kasi malayo eh.”

 

This is new information to Seulgi. She didn’t know that her friend developed an interest in toppling down the fascism in the country! She’s ecstatic that she won’t be alone in this fight, not when she has Ji-eun by her side. Lisa, well, she can use the clownery of her younger friend to keep herself entertained.

 

Still, there’s a pang of guilt and hurt when her mind thought of a certain blonde girl.

 

Her bestfriend.

 

“Di rin ako nakapunta, kasi alam kong pupunta si Wendy don.”

 

“Gago, imagine the chaos kung nandon ka!” Lisa gave a hearty laugh, tears pooling on her eyes as her laughter echoes inside their booth.

 

“, I don’t even want to imagine what could’ve happened.” Seulgi sighed, now a little sobered up. Her hands were reaching for the bottle of water, but her mind wanted to aim for the bucket of beer.

 

And so she followed her heart. That night, Lisa ended up cleaning after Seulgi when her friend vomited all over her shirt. 

 


 

God damn it, they’re here again?!

 

Wendy can already hear the outrageously loud shrieking of the activists from the distance. It’s only 10 AM in the morning, yet she felt like her soul was being dragged out of her body by just thinking about dealing with Mother Theresa and Satan’s love child. How can she conduct her survey with them in the way? She groaned at the thought.

 

As she approached the group, she felt her blood boil even more when their screams became more discernible. 

 

LUSTRE AYALA PAHIRAP SA MAHIHIRAP

 

AYALA ABALA

 

But one voice caught her attention.

 

There stood Irene Reymundo, screaming “LUSTRE MATAPOBRE” at the top of her lungs, with her cronies following suit. 

 

Wendy felt her jaw tighten; she straightened her back to give off an air of confidence, exuding an aura of a predator approaching its prey.

 

She took a deep breath (probably as deep as the Mariana Trench) before approaching the protesters.

 

“Well, good morning to you too,” Wendy looked at them from head to toe, “Miss Activist.” She smirked, her tone laced with mockery.

 

Irene turned around to find her gaze. The small woman rolled her eyes before speaking. “Ikaw na naman?” 

 

Wendy leveled her gaze with Irene’s, “Yes, it’s me again. I didn’t expect to see you for the third time here. You have gut, miss. I’ll give you that.”

 

“Ako nga dapat magsabi niyan, Miss Lustre. I expected you to call for backup, akala ko may kasunod ka pang bodyguards eh.” Irene said, not trying to hide the bite behind her tone. Wendy raised an eyebrow at what she said.

 


 

Baka iba ka sa kanila

 

Tumikhim si Irene sa naisip. Alam niya namang lahat ng tao ay kayang magbago, pero hindi ito madali. Lalo na kung ang taong yon ang dahilan ng paghihirap ng mga urban poor.

 

"Anyway, hindi kami aalis hangga't hindi nagbaback down ang mga tulad niyong ganid sa pera. Kaya kung ako sa 'yo, masanay ka nang nandito kami tuwing may binabalak kayong mga kapitalista." Ngumisi nang nakakaloko si Irene. Narinig niyang sumang-ayon ang kolektibo niya sa kaniyang likod. 

 

Bakas sa mukha ng Lustre ang pagkayamot, pero agad itong napapilitan ng… interes?

 

Ano na naman bang iniisip ng kampon ng kadilim na to? Umirap na naman si Irene, pero sa pagkakataong ito ay sa isip na lamang niya. Ayaw niyang ipakita na rinding-rindi na siya sa babaeng nasa harap niya.

 

"Miss, I pride myself as a diplomat, unlike some people in the industry," narinig niyang magsalita ang Lustre habang tinanggal ang shades nito. Ngayon ay kita na niyang lubusan ang nakakatunaw na titig ng babae. Nakakamangha ang kulay tsokolate niyang mga mata, isip ni Irene.

 

"So, the offer still stands. How much will it take for you to leave our prospect alone?"

 

Hinding hindi mabibili ang prinsipyo ni Irene, pati na rin ang mga kasamahan niya. Kaya nga sila nandito, ay para ipaglaban ang karapatan ng mga mamamayan, para hindi manalo ang pagkaganid ng mga mayayaman. Pero eto sila ngayon, daig pa ang nakikipagtawaran sa divisoria.

 

"Diplomat ba kamo? So kahit ano, gagawin mo para makuha itong lupaing 'to?" Kumagat ka, Lustre

 

"I believe that anything can be achieved through sensible negotiations between the parties involved, yes."

 

"Lustre ka nga talaga." Walang ganang tawa ni Irene. 

 

Kung na-offend ang babae, ay hindi alam ni Irene. Kalmado pa rin ang ekspresyon nito habang hinihintay ang susunod niyang sasabihin.

 

"Kung ganon pala, then I have a proposal, Miss Lustre."

 

"And that is?" 

 

Ngumisi si Irene. "Join our organization."

 


 

Wendy didn't see that one coming.

 

Is this woman insane? A Lustre, joining them? Wendy didn't have time to play around. She means business. And business meant not getting involved with the likes of her.

 

Wendy let out a laugh with no humor. She looked at the people behind the girl, as if saying "are you seeing this?". She saw that they were as dumbfounded as her.

 

"I don't have time for this, miss." Wendy replied coolly. 

 

"Sige, let me clear it up for you, Miss Lustre. Not as a member, pero parang sit-in lang."

 

"And why should I waste my precious time for this? I can have this place with just a snap of my fingers, you know. I have the means to," Wendy paused for a moment, "eradicate any obstacles in my way." She gave the group a pointed look.

 

"Are those empty threats, Miss Lustre?" Irene raised an eyebrow, not letting her cool facade break down.

 

"Stay, and let's find out." Wendy taunted, a smirk playing at the edge of her lips. 

 

She won't lie, she might miss these petty confrontations between her and this woman in front of her, but she will do whatever it takes to accomplish the task at hand. 

 

Well, everything except hurt people— Wendy liked to consider herself as a reasonable woman.

 

“I bet you’re all bark and no bite, Miss Lustre,” Irene jeered, “Accept my proposal or we’ll continue to be an obstacle in this greedy plan of yours.”

 

“Greedy? Miss, I kid you not this is just pure business.” She looked down on Irene, “I suppose you won’t know how business works considering your… status in life.”

 

Irene sneered, “Hindi man ako ganun kayaman, at least may pake ako sa kapwa ko. Hindi tulad mo na sobrang careless na nga, wala pang puso!”

 

“Oh chill, I thought we’re having a calm discussion here? Why are you raising your voice na?”

 

“Just trying to make my point.”

 

Wendy stared at the girl’s face before coming up with another teasing jab. “Your point doesn’t make sense and so are all of this.”

 

Irene opened but Wheein beat her to it. 

 

“Alam mo cute ka na sana,” Wendy raised an eyebrow while smirking at the unknown girl complimenting her, “kaso gago ka pala talaga.”

 

Her eyes widened, did someone just curse her?! The nerve of that girl, like she’s any better. Using cheap words to demean her is like trying to scratch a diamond with a rusty knife.

 

“Excuse me?!”

 

“Dadaan ka?” The puppy-faced girl bit back.

 

“Oh you’re trying to be funny? Well, you at it.” Wendy deadpanned.

 

“English english ka pa, panget naman ugali mo.” 

 

Wendy was amused, to say the least. Unlike Irene, this one has the guts to talk to her in an informal manner.

 

What do they call it these days? Kanal culture? Trashtalk?

 

Wendy humored herself.

 

“You’re using tagalog yet you sound like a puppy.” Wendy saw the girl’s exasperated face; she was about to “bark” back when Irene cut her off.

 

Irene pinched the bridge of her nose, “Wheein tama na,” then she turned in Wendy’s direction, “At ikaw, ano na sagot mo?”

 

“Haven’t I made myself clear? It’s a no, Ms. Reymundo.”

 

“Sabi ko na eh,” Irene sniggered, “duwag ka talaga sa mga challenges. Simple palang yun, di mo na agad kaya? Hina mo naman, Ms. Lustre. Paano magiging proud sayo papa mo niyan?”

 

Oh, this girl crossed a line she shouldn’t have. Wendy’s whole aura changed at the mention of her father.

 

“Watch your language, your filthy mouth is not deserving to even whisper my father’s name!”

 

“Oh chill, I thought we’re having a calm discussion here? Why are you raising your voice now?” Irene retorted in a mocking way.

 

“You know what?!” Wendy begins, “I’m ing joining that stupid sit in and I want you gone by noon.”

 

“We have a deal then.” Irene offered her hand, only to get stared at by the businesswoman.

 

Wendy liked to consider herself as a lot of things-- a diplomat, a reasonable, generally calm person. 

 

But how come, all of those would go down the drain once she’s in the same place as Irene Raymundo?

 

Gods, ancestors, any higher being, please give me patience. For ’s sake.

 

Irene let her hand fall to her side when Wendy didn’t shake it. She cleared before speaking again.

 

“So, Miss Lustre. How can we be assured na dadalo ka nga?”

 

Gods, this woman is getting on her ing nerves by the minute. Wendy clenched her jaw before speaking, “As you’ve mentioned before, I’m a Lustre. Our empire would’ve never survived the industry if we don’t honor our words.”

 

She continued speaking when she saw the woman raised an eyebrow, as if not buying her explanation. “For gods’ sake, I know that your people are influential in your own ways, if I “ghost” you, then I expect my face all over your social media accounts the next day. I wouldn’t want that.” She rolled her eyes.

 

Irene nodded with a ghost of a smile on her face.

 

“Oh, that brings me to my one and only rule for this game of yours: no one can know about this. If word gets out, then say goodbye to your future.” Wendy said, looking at each and every single activist in the eye.

 

“No need for those threats, Miss Lustre, I assure you that my people know better than that. We’re here to educate, not spread cheap news about the heiress to a billion-dollar company.”

 

Wendy could only nod, jaw still tight as if bracing herself for another bickering.

 

“Well, yun lang ba? Ako naman. Give me your phone, Miss Lustre.”

 

What? Is this girl out of her mind? What will she do? Sell her phone for a living? Wendy wanted to laugh.

 

“Alam ko iniisip mo. Ilalagay ko lang number ko diyan, utang na loob.” The woman rolled her eyes. Wendy took her phone out of her pocket, unlocking it with her thumbprint in the process. She could always change her number if she gets annoyed, anyways. Which she thinks might be sooner than later.

 

“May pangtawag ka naman siguro no?” Irene sarcastically said. Wendy clicked her tongue in annoyance. 

 

Yeah, I’ll definitely change the number soon.

 

She watched as Irene took her own phone, which looked like an old iPhone model with broken glass. Wendy got lost in thought on how can someone own a phone that can stab your finger with one wrong move, that she didn’t notice Irene giving her phone back to her.

 

“Ayan,” Irene said after Wendy reached for her phone. “I’ll contact you with the details of the educational discussion. For now, truce?”

 

She looked at Irene, and Wendy could almost see a glint of hopefulness in the woman’s eyes.

 

You’re a reasonable woman, Wendy. She reminded herself. If this is what it takes to achieve her goal, then so be it. 

 

Looks like her father’s plans will have to wait a bit more as she negotiates her way to acquiring the property.

 

“Truce.”

 

“Well then,” Irene smiled, and Wendy didn’t know if it was a genuine one. But she knew that it was one of the most beautiful smiles she ever saw. Ugh, objectively speaking, of course. 

 

“Welcome sa org namin, Lek Wendy.”

 


 

After her draining meeting with the Satan incarnate, her thoughts drifted off to her best friend whom she hasn’t spoken to in days. She might have gone overboard this time with her ignorance towards Seulgi’s interest in Para Sa Bayan movement or whatever they call it these days.

 

“Wendy, you’re home.” Her father’s voice resonated in the whole living room, maybe even the whole house.

 

“Yes Pa.”

 

“How was the survey? Did you do a good job at it? I expect the residents to move out ASAP." Her father said, giving an extra weight to the last words of his statement. 

 

Right, her deal with Ms. Reymundo. Her father will definitely send someone to terrorize Irene and her family if word gets out that some protesters are in the way of them closing a business deal. It sounds like a great move except she doesn’t want an innocent family to be tormented because they were at the wrong place and at the wrong time. Wendy is not that heartless, she has bad blood with Irene but she won’t go as far as using force to get what she wants.

 

“All good Pa. We’re almost there.”

 

Her Father smiled, “That’s what I like to hear. I also heard from Jaehyun’s bodyguard na there’s a group of terrorists who’s been wreaking havoc in the area.”

 

Ah .

 

Wendy straightened her posture. “Took care of that already, Pa. No need to worry about that.”

 

“Alright but if you ever need my help, may contact ako sa district Police. I won’t hesitate to use brute force to kick them out okay?” Her father offered to which she respectfully declined.

 

“I’ll have to make a phone call lang dad. I’ll go up to my room now.” 

 

Now that she’s in her room with her phone in hand, she wonders how this conversation will go. All that’s clear right now is Seulgi’s hatred for her; might not be hatred just annoyance? And Wendy wants all of that to fade away because she needs her best friend right now.

 

The phone rang once...

 

Twice…

 

Thrice…

 

“What do you want?”

 

Wendy can’t hide the smile that forms on her lips. “Hey, how’ve you been?”

 

“Never better, anong kailangan mo sakin?” Seulgi’s menacing tone did not faze Wendy at all. She’s grown accustomed to her best friend’s moods.

 

“I want to apologize,” she heaved, “for last time.”

 

“Actual apology or the Lustre’s way of saying sorry?” Seulgi sarcastically asked.

 

“I’m sorry, Seul. I should’ve known better,” she paused, “but you know me right? You know how my family i—“

 

“There it is. Typical Lustre.”

 

“I’m trying to apologize here, can you please be a little bit merciful?”

 

“Merciful? Wendy, you’re trying to reason out why you did what you did. For all I know, this is your way of manipulating me into forgiving you.” 

 

Wendy did not like the tone of Seulgi's voice. She felt her anger building up inside of her. Surely, there must be a misunderstanding here? Seulgi would never call her manipulative. The terrorists are poisoning her best friend’s mind.

 

“Manipulating? Have you gone mad? Since when is apologizing an act of manipulation?”

 

“Since I learned how Lustres get away with their problems.”

 

Wendy scoffed, “Are you completely forgetting the fact that you are one too? You grew up in our household, learned all of our attitudes and even adopted some of them. You have no right saying my family name in a condescending way, Seulgi, that’s way out of line.”

 

“No, what you and your family are doing is way out of line and inhumane,” Wendy remained calm despite Seulgi’s voice raising, “I mean it this time Wendy, don’t call me again if you’re still as heartless as you are right now.”

 

Wendy clenched her fist and threw her phone far away from her, not caring whether it’s shattered. She was appalled at how Seulgi handled the conversation; calling her manipulative while she expressed her sorrow from accepting her father’s task is immature of her. Wendy knows Seulgi and this is not her, Ms. Irene ing Reymundo is ruining her friendship with Seulgi and she won’t stand by that.

 

Luckily for her, she found a way to bring Irene Reymundo and her little organization down. What a stupid act of that girl to think about recruiting her, as if she’ll side with her. Wendy smirked at the plan that’s already forming inside her head. Irene getting into her nerves is doing wonders with her creativity. Revenge never felt this good.

 

Was it cruel? Yes.

 

Is it going to give Irene Reymundo a hard time to get back up again? Oh definitely.

 

Will her Father be proud of her because of this? She hopes.

 

Irene Reymundo, I hope you’re ready for your downfall.

--------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry for almost a month of waiting but I'm back and my friend and I won't take too long to update this again! :))

Comments and feedbacks are appreciated, hope you guys enjoyed!