money is a sin and i loathe it

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚊𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚜

A lengthy day lies ahead of Wendy that requires an extensive effort to avoid screwing up in front of the Board of Directors. Starting her day at 7:00 a.m is not foreign for her, in fact her body is accustomed to waking up earlier than that. However, starting her day knowing she will be walking into a Lion’s den— something she will never be fond of. 

 

Flashes of memories from last night resurfaced in her mind. From the part where she had a talk with her father about Sitio San Roque to where she gets her face jabbed because of the agreement with her dad unknown reasons.
 

Receiving a blow on the face is not a painful one to experience, it is the realization that after 19 years of Friendship, Wendy’s surname managed to break the only constant thing in her life that keeps her sane. Wendy must’ve done a great job at screwing things in her life, she didn’t make an exception for her friendship with Seulgi.
 

The journey to the company took more time than she anticipated. The traffic jam near EDSA was a big pain in the but she never had the energy to throw a fit, it is rush hour afterall.
 

“Good morning Ms. Lustre,” the lobbyist greeted her.

 

With a nod, she made a beeline to the nearest elevator available. Even though there is a designated elevator for the VIPs, Wendy never rode one. It was too pretentious for her and it created a big gap between her and her Father’s employees.

 

A few steps away from where she stood was her Father with a man who looks way too young to even be discussing business matters with her dad. Wendy strutted to her Father with such grace and elegance, half of the attention in the room focused on her.
 

“Pa.” Wendy made her presence known.

 

“Nak, I would like you to meet Mr. Lee.” His Father beamed, “He will accompany you and the team that I assembled to check out Sitio San Roque.”

 

Wendy offered her hand and Mr. Lee accepted it rather firmly. 

 

Professionalism, or an act of machismo? 

 

She shrugged it off. They released their handshake. Wendy unconsciously swallowed the lump in . 

 

Time to fake it until I make it, she thought. 

 


 

Habang busy sa pag-iimpake si Irene, hindi niya matanggal sa kaniyang isipan na mas napagod pa siya sa dalawang araw na stay niya sa kanilang bahay kaysa sa buong school year niya sa UP. Kung dati ay nakakayanan niyang palampasin ang mga masasamang salita na lumalabas sa ama niya dahil hindi pa siya mulat sa nangyayari sa paligid nila, parang ngayon ay hindi na. 
 

Ayon nga sa mga magigiting na aktibista, sa oras na namulat ka na sa mga kawalan ng katarungan sa mundo, kasalanan na ang pumikit at magbulag-bulagan.
 

“Aalis ka na ulit ate?” sambit ni Yeji na may dalang juice at biscuit.

 

Humarap si Irene sa nakakabatang kapatid at kinuha ang pagkain. “Oo eh, marami pa kong kailangang ipasa na requirements pero babalik si Ate.”
 

Napabuntong hininga si Yeji, “Ate, di ko man naiintindihan sa ngayon yung mga choices mo sa buhay pero sinusuportahan kita. Di natin ugali na maging sweet sa isa’t isa pero alam kong kailangan mo ng kakampi ngayon kaya ako yung magiging kakampi mo sa bahay, Ate.”

 

Hindi sigurado si Irene kung mainit lang ba o sadyang naluluha siya sa sinasabi ng kaniyang kapatid kung kaya’t hinila niya si Yeji papunta sa kaniya at niyakap nang mahigpit. “Papakabait ka dito, Yej, ha? Wag mo papasakitin ulo ni nanay at tatay. Lagi ka rin mag-iingat at galingan mo sa school, tawagan mo lang ako pag kailangan mo si Ate, sasagot ako agad promise.”

 

“Drama naman natin Ate,” tawang sabi ni Yeji, “Ingat ka rin sa Maynila, Ate. Someday, magiging katulad din kita.”

 

Sa tuwing napapagal si Irene sa kaniyang pag-aaral, tanging ang kapatid at magulang niya ang nagsisilbing lakas niya. Nang marinig ni Irene na pangarap ni Yeji na sumunod sa yapak niya, mas lalo niyang naramdaman ang init sa kaniyang mata. Kung ikaw ba naman, tinitingala ng pinakamamahal mong kapatid, hindi ka ba maiiyak? 
 

Tinapos na ni Irene ang pag-iimpake at pag-aayos ng ibang gamit sa kaniyang kwarto habang si Yeji ay busy na nagbabasa sa kaniyang cellphone. 
 

“Aalis na ko, panget.” Pang-aasar ni Irene.

 

“Kbye, sunget.” Asar pabalik ni Yeji.

 

“Lika na, wag ka na tumambay sa kwarto ko. Guguluhin mo lang naman mga gamit ko dito eh.” Pag-aaya ni Irene kay Yeji na siyang sumunod naman sa utos ng kapatid niya.
 

Pagkababa nilang dalawa, unang tumambad kay Irene ang figure ng ama niya. Hindi siya sigurado kung dapat bang kausapin niya ito o baka sampal nanaman ang maabot niya. Marespeto pa rin naman siyang anak kaya hinarap niya nalang ang kaniyang ama.
 

“Tay, mano po.” Kukunin na sana ni Irene ang kamay ng kaniyang ama ngunit nilayo ito ng huli. 

 

“Ipangako mo saking titigil ka na sa pag aaktibista mong yan.” Malamig na sabi na kaniyang ama.

 

“Tay.”
 

“Sumunod ka nalang sa ama mo, Irene.” Singit ng kaniyang ina.
 

“Hindi po.” Ani ni Irene.

 

“Pakiulit?” Sambit ng kaniyang ama. “Sa oras na may mangyari sayo dahil sa katangahan mo, wag na wag kang hihingi ng tulong sakin. Malinaw ba yon?!”

 

Nabigla si Irene sa pagtaas ng boses ng kaniyang ama. “Malinaw na malinaw po.”
 

“Mabuti, pwes makakaalis ka ng pasaway ka.” 

 

Binigyan ni Irene si Yeji ng huling sulyap, kita sa mga mata nito ang lungkot at pag-aalala para kay Irene. Nginitian ni Irene si Yeji na tilang nagsasabing "okay lang, wag ka mag-alala" at tuluyang lumabas sa pinto ng kanilang bahay. 

 

Ang mapait na katotohanan ay kahit ilang beses niyang kumbinsihin ang sarili niya, alam niyang hindi na magiging bukas ang isip ng kaniyang magulang at lagi na nilang iisipin na magiging NPA si Irene.

 


 

"Kang! May tumatawag ata sa phone mo!"

 

Seulgi heard her blockmate call out to her while pointing to her phone sitting atop her armchair from across the room. She is currently seated beside her friend Lisa, only going back to her proper seat inside the classroom whenever a professor would arrive. Since it's their free time, they decided to just chill at the back of the room.

 

"Dude, sino yan? New girl mo no?" Lisa teased Seulgi, a sly grin covering her face. 

 

"Batukan kita diyan eh, baka alarm ko lang na nakalimutan kong patayin." Seulgi returned to her original seat, seeing her phone vibrating. She checked her phone, only to see that someone is definitely calling.

 

[Joy is calling…]

 

Huh? Again?

 

Seulgi was surprised to see the girl from before calling her phone. Despite the mild shock, she pressed the green button to answer the call.

 

"Hello?" She answered while pocketing her hand inside her UST architecture blazer. She can't help but feel a little anxious for some unknown reason.

 

"Hi!" Came a cheerful voice from the other side of the line.

 

Again, Seulgi was caught off-guard. She quickly composed herself to respond to the girl.

 

"Hello Joy? Do you need anything?" Seulgi scratched the back of her neck, embarrassed (again, for some unknown reason).

 

"Wala naman, I just thought of you kasi," Joy responded in her thick 'La Sallian accent'.

 

This shouldn't be weird for Seulgi. They video called before, right? Even flirted for a bit. Plus, she's earned quite the reputation from having flings here and there, most of the time she'd end up ghosting them, leading to her phone blowing up because of messages from her "exes". 

 

But it IS weird. Because for the first time in a long time, her phone didn't ring because of some past "mistake".

 

Maybe a future one? She chuckled to herself. Tingnan natin.
 

"So… what led you to think of me?" Seulgi challenged.
 

"Oh, I just saw a tweet about Thomasians being "ghosters", and since I do what I want, I decided to call you." Joy replied nonchalantly. 
 

"So you decided to call me because of a... tweet?"

 

"Well, yeah. And to ask you to go on a date na rin." 
 

Wait what?

 

For 21 years, Seulgi was always the one to initiate things, may it be related to her "love" life or not. So imagine her surprise when this woman from Taft tried to ask her for a date as if she's just asking to pass the salt around the table or something. 

 

"I—uh,"

 

What the was that, Seulgi? 

 

She heard Joy giggle, "What? Cat got your tongue? Take your time, just text me if you're g, ha?" 
 

Before Seulgi could respond, the line went dead, indicating that Joy ended the call.

 

What just happened?

 


 

Huh?

 

Teka, bakit parang—

 

Naalimpungatan si Irene mula sa pagkakaidlip nang makita niya ang kamay ng lalaking katabi niya sa ibabaw ng kaniyang pantalon. Nanigas si Irene; kagigising lang niya dahil nakatulog siya sa haba ng biyahe pa-Maynila, kaya hindi pa masyadong gising ang utak niya. Sa kabila nito, pinilit niyang mag-isip. Napagpasiyahan niya munang magkunwaring tulog, habang pasimpleng kinukuha ang phone sa kanang bulsa ng pantalon.

 

Mabuti na lamang at naka-set na mabubuksan ang camera app niya sa dalawang pindot lamang ng home button. Naka-tungo ang kanyang ulo sa pakanan, kaya nakatago ang bukas niyang kanang mata na sinisigurong napindot niya ang tamang settings para ma-on ang video mode. Pinigilan niya ang sarili mula sa pagtili dahil sa mapangahas na kamay ng lalaki. Unti-unti na itong lumalapit nang mapagpasiyahan na niyang gawin ang plano.

 

"ANO YAN, HA?!" Sigaw ni Irene habang pabiglang itinutok ang camera sa kamay na nasa ibabaw ng binti niyang balot ng tela. Agad binawi ng lalaki ang kamay, halata ang pamumula sa tenga dahil sa kahihiyan. Nakita na ni Irene ang salarin— mukhang nasa late 20's ito, at mukhang disente.

 

Mukha lang.
 

"Ano yon sinabi eh?!" Tinutok na ni Irene ang camera sa mukha ng lalaki. Nagtakip ito nang mukha nang mapansin ang focus ng camera sa kaniya. Tumungo lang ito sa bintana ng bus, hindi makaimik.

 

Nakuha na ni Irene ang atensyon ng halos lahat ng pasahero sa bus. Pinagtitinginan na siya, pero wala siyang pakialam. Nakatuon lang ang pansin niya sa manyak na katabi niya. Nang hindi pa rin sumasagot ang lalaki ay muli siyang nagsalita.

 

"Wala ka bang nanay, ha?! O babaeng kapatid?! Ay, hindi— rumespeto ka ng kapwa mo hindi dahil sa may kakilala kang babae, rumespeto ka kasi TAO rin kami." Dagdag niya habang nakafocus pa rin ang camera sa lalaki.

 

"Miss, ano ba yan?! Kanina ka pa sumisigaw diyan, ano ba kasing suot mo?!" Narinig niyang may sumabat mula sa likuran ng bus. Kung kanina ay "kalmado" pa siya, pwes ngayon ay hindi na. Naramdaman niyang kumulo ang dugo niya sa mga salitang narinig.

 

Tumingin siya sa likod at nakita ang lalaking nakadukwang mula sa kinauupuan, halata na siya ang may-ari ng boses.

 

"Excuse me po, WITH all due RESPECT," panimula ni Irene, na hawak pa rin ang phone para irecord ang mga nangyayari, "kahit ano pang suot ko ay walang may karapatang bumastos sa akin. Pwede niyo po bang itatak sa utak niyo yon? At kung gusto niyo talaga malaman, NAKAPANTALON PO AKO. SISIHIN ANG MANYAK, HINDI ANG BIKTIMA." Ramdam ang diin sa bawat salitang binitawan ni Irene.

 

"Oo, tama yan ate!" Rinig niya ang isang boses-babae mula sa unahan.

 

Wala pa ring imik ang lalaking katabi; hindi rin ito makaalis dahil nakaharang si Irene sa dadaanan. Mabuti na lamang at malapit na sila sa terminal ng bus sa Maynila kaya magagawan niya ito ng report sa Women's desk.

 

Yun ay kung makikinig sila.

 

Mapait mang isipin, pero bulok ang sistema rito sa bansa, lalo na sa ganitong sitwasyon kung saan laganap pa rin ang victim-blaming. Isang halimbawa na lang doon ay ang nangyari ngayon-ngayon lang sa kaniya. Lalong nagdilim ang paningin ni Irene, paano na lamang kung hindi siya nagising? Paano kung nanghina siya? Paano ang ibang kababaihan na nabusalan ang bibig bago pa man makahingi ng saklolo?

 

Napatigil siya sa pag-iisip nang lapitan siya ng kundoktor.
 

"Miss, minanyak ka niyan? Hayaan mo, ibababa ka namin sa malapit na prisinto para magsumbong." 
 

Tipid na ngiti na lamang ang naibigay ni Irene. "Salamat po."
 

Imbes na makauwi siya agad ng apartment, ay napagaksayahan pa niya ng oras itong mokong na 'to.

 

Buhay babae nga naman sa mundong Patriarkal. Tanginang mga lalaki yan.

 


 

The meeting with the board members and her dad about Sitio San Roque lasted no less than 3 hours. To say that it was the longest meeting Wendy’s been in is an understatement, nevermind the part where her Father kept bragging about this being an easy task only because he won’t lift a finger and she has to do all the work for him, the board members just agrees with what is being said in front of them without criticizing some points that were made. 

 

Wendy is not a saint nor is she the nicest but hearing the plans about the informal settlers made her feel uneasy. Aren’t they supposed to provide the people shelter after taking their land? She would bring it up but she has a feeling that the men in suits are going to laugh at her for asking a futile question. 

 

“Are there any more questions?” Her Father asked in a composed manner. 
 

“Yes,” the roguish board member began, “I’m getting impatient, when are we going to enact this plan?”

 

Her father chuckled, “Calm down, Bernard. Tomorrow, my daughter will inspect the land of San Roque and talk to the CEO of Ayala. She will put forth a generous amount of money to convince Ayala that we are interested in taking the area and we expect them to back down.”

 

“Your daughter will handle one of our biggest projects?” Another member asked unabashedly, “She’s not capable, she’s a woman!”

 

ism? Really? In this time and year?
 

“If I may,” Wendy interjected. “I know all of you think I’m just a college student and a woman at that, but I have proven my abilities by inputting my ideas and strategies on this plan. Not only is it a ticket to success, it also lessened the cost that you, Mr. Choi, proposed to the board before. Lustre Inc. won’t be needing a large sum of money to get Ayala to say yes to this project.” Wendy said with a venomous smile, wanting to slap the stupidity out of the stout board member.

 

Mr. Choi balled his hands into a fist, jaw clenched from anger and embarrassment. Wendy saw the scene unfold before her eyes.

 

Just the reaction that I am looking for.

 

“Are there any more questions?” Wendy’s father announced. “None? Meeting adjourned.”

 

Wendy readied herself to get out of the company office and drown in liquor. 
 

“Wendy, stay.” Her Father commanded.
 

Well, there goes my plans of having a great drink in my hand.

 

The conference room was emptied in no time, true to their motto business does not stop . Wendy stayed on her designated chair, adjacent to her Father’s.

 

“What the hell was that?” He sneered.
 

Confusion was written all over Wendy’s face, “What was what, Pa?”

 

“That little stunt you pulled with Mr. Choi.” Her Father hissed, pointing a finger at Wendy, “It’s your first day here, Wendy, for god’s sake! Magtino ka naman!”
 

“Pa, he was undermining me! I’m not going to let him drag my name just because of my gender!” Wendy fought back.

 

“He owns 13% of the company’s stocks, he is an important person in Lustre Inc. and you disrespected him, Seungwan.” He spat, pinching the bridge of his nose, “Can’t you go on a day without messing up?!”

 

Wendy lowered her head;  there it is. The phrase that her parents would use whenever she’s in trouble, to their eyes it’s messing up but to Wendy, it’s living her best life without the chains hindering her from running towards the arms of happiness. 

 

She knows arguing with her dad won’t get her anywhere for he is a man with such high pride and ego, so she did what she does best.

 

 “I’m sorry Pa, I know better now and I’ll do better next time.”

 

“You should, Wendy, you’re a Lustre.”

 

This is her bitter truth, her last name will always dictate what she should be in this world and she can never escape it. 

 


 

"Wheein, may online meeting sa AB mamaya, kasama rin ata ang PS," bungad ni Irene sa roommate pagkarating sa apartment nila. Bakas sa mukha ni Irene ang pagkapagod mula sa nangyari sa byahe. Sanay naman siya sa pabalik-balik sa Maynila, pero sadyang na-drain siya dahil sa eksena kanina.

 

Binaba ni Irene ang duffle bag sa tabi ng kama. Nahalata naman ni Wheein ang pagkapagod ni Irene. 
 

"Oks ka lang?" Pagbangon ni Wheein mula sa pagkakahiga. Nginitian siya nang tipid ni Irene bilang tugon.

 

Hindi nagpatinag si Wheein. "Uy, anyare?" 
 

Sa panahon na magkasama sila, parang naging kapatid na rin ang turing nila sa isa't isa. Halos lahat ay nasasabi nila sa bawat isa, kaya nagtataka si Wheein sa katahimikan ni Irene.

 

"Ano kasi," panimula ni Irene bago bumuntong-hininga, "may manyak kanina sa bus." 
 

"Ha?! Putangina non ah? Anong—okay ka na ba?" Nag-aalalang tanong ni Wheein sabay paglapit sa nakatatanda. 

 

Okay lang ba siya? Ang totoo niyan ay hindi niya rin alam. Parang mabilis ang mga pangyayari kanina. Pero, alam niyang nag-iwan ng nakapapasong marka ang kamay ng lalaki sa parteng hinawakan nito.

 

Nakakapaso.

 

Sa katunayan, ito ang unang beses na nangyari 'to sa kaniya. Oo, sa buong buhay niya, may mga nangca-catcall, may mga tumitingin din na parang hinuhubaran na siya, pero inuunahan niya ang mga ito ng masasamang tingin o mabubulaklak na mura salita. Pero sa pagkakataong ito, wala siyang kamalayan sa nangyari.

 

Naramdaman na lang niyang may nakayakap na sa kaniya.
 

"Te, alam mo namang di mo kasalanan yung nangyari di ba?" Sambit ni Wheein habang hinahagod ang likod ni Irene.

 

Napawalan ni Irene ang hiningang kanina pa pala niya pinipigil. 

 

"Oo naman. Thank you, Wheein." Pagbalik ni Irene sa yakap.
 

Nang mahiwalay na sila, tinitigan ni Wheein si Irene nang mataimtim.

 

"Kung ayaw mong ikwento kung anong nangyari, okay lang. Naiintindihan ko naman." Ngiti nito sa kaibigan.
 

"Hindi, okay lang naman. Okay na ako."

 

Kwinento ni Irene kung anong nangyari kanina sa bus, mula sa pagkakaidlip niya hanggang sa pagbaba sa malapit na himpilan ng pulis para ireport ang kaso. Sa huli, ay nagkasundo ang dalawang partido na wag nang ituloy ang kaso, sapat na para kay Irene ang makitang pagkapahiya sa mukha ng lalaki. Pero pina-blotter pa rin niya ito, just in case.

 

Tumango si Wheein habang nakikinig.

 

"Tangina niya, manang-mana sa presidente ang pucha," tanging nasabi ni Wheein. Natawa nang mahina si Irene sa sinabi ng kaibigan.

 

"Hay," buntong-hininga ulit ni Irene. "Matutulog muna ako, napagod ako eh. Pagising na lang mamayang 7:30 para makahanda ako sa meeting pag hindi ako nagising sa alarm."
 

"Sige, madam lek," natatawang sabi ni Wheein.
 


 

SAEYO~ 

 

SAEYO~

 

Nanatiling nakahiga si Irene sa kama sa kabila ng boses ni Wheein na ginawa niyang ringtone. Maya-maya ay totoong boses na ng roommate ang narinig niya upang gisingin siya.

 

"SAEYO~ SAEYO~" Sigaw ni Wheein sa tenga niya habang niyuyugyog siya.

 

"Madam gising na!" 

 

Tuluyan nang binuksan ni Irene ang mga mata. Tumambad sa kaniya ang mukha ni Wheein na nakangisi. 

 

Anong trip nito?

 

"Eto na gising na nga!" Pasungit na sabi ni Irene. Bugnutin talaga siya kapag bagong gising, sanay na rin naman dito si Wheein. Dali-dali na siyang bumangon para ayusin ang sarili at para maghanda sa online meeting nila.

 

Alas-otso na nang mapagpasyahan na ni Irene na magsend ng chat sa gc nila. Medyo konti lang ang online, pero halos lahat naman sa kanila ay active sa pagsagot.
 

[Irene Reymundo]

Guys, meeting room 2 tayo. See you there!

 

Binuksan niya ang isang messaging app para magtungo sa meeting room. Nagsimula na siyang mag-salita sa mic para mas madali.

 

"Hello, naririnig niyo ko?"

 

Binasa niya ang chat, marami nagconfirm na naririnig nila si Irene. 
 

"Okay, so remind ko lang uli na may basic mass integration uli tayo bukas ha. Sa mga new recruits, yun yung tinatawag namin na paglubog sa masa. Pupunta tayo sa urban poor communities to organize and mobilize the people."

 

"Vibe check nga tayo, send niyo sa chat "#StreamWomanOnTheBeach" kung present kayo."

 

Binasa niya ang mga nagsend, medyo nadagdagan ang mga tao, "Okay, marami-rami na tayo ngayon." Nagbasa pa siya ng mga incoming messages nang makita ang isang username.

 

[AB Aseul]

#StreamYerihanBang
 

Natawa si Irene sa sinulat ni Seulgi. "Tama yan Seulgi, stream Yerihan Bang din." 

 

"So, magmeet-up muna tayo sa isesend na address bago tumungo sa sitio. Okay ba yon mga lek?"
 

[PS Jieun]

Saan pong sitio? Newbie po here hehe

 

"Okay lang yan Jieun. Sa Sitio San Roque tayo."

 


 

"Oh ." 

 

Seulgi was stunned at what she heard. Of all places, it had to be the one where Wendy will conduct business in, huh?

 

It's inevitable, she thought to herself. 
 

But she's still not yet ready to face Wendy.

 

"So, sino yung confirmed na confirmed na makakapunta bukas?" She heard Irene say on the line. The members are chatting, either saying they'll come or that they have prior commitments for tomorrow. 
 

Seulgi took a deep breath, since when did the friend situation get this messy?

 

It's bound to happen, she guessed. It's only a matter of time before Wendy could realize the injustices in the world, brought out by the people in power. The 1% of the population, to which they belonged to.

 

She sighed before typing again on her phone.

 

[Aseul]

Di ako makakapunta lek. May gagawing important matter to attend to eh.

 

"Okay, so yung iba may gagawin. Okay lang guys, kami muna sa ngayon. Marami-rami na rin naman yung nagconfirm di ba?" 
 

Seulgi exited the app and opened another. Her fingers moved on their own, typing away on the screen.
 

[So, where will our date be, Miss Joy Legazpi?]

 

Message sent.

 


 

Wendy woke up 3 hours before her departure to Sitio San Roque. Contemplating whether or not she should continue the plan of the board to be ruthless if the settlers do not comply with the agreement. Again, she’s not a Saint but she studied GMRC back in her Elementary years, being brutal towards the people is not the way to get what someone wants. 
 

She busied herself by looking at her ceiling and listening to the white noise coming from her air conditioning unit. It’s pathetic of her, really, to mull over something her Father says his whole life. So she’s a screw up, she gets tangled in a web of mess that she created and her parents are there to clean it up for her, all those things are inevitable for a child as young as her. At age 20, she sees people her age having fun and being carefree, partying in bars without paparazzis taking pictures of them every second to create a buzzing headline for people to gossip on. 

 

4 years old. She was 4 when she first got reprimanded for spilling paint all over her shirt, her Father called her disappointment for not being a disciplined child. It started with paint, then it’s not eating her veggies, afterwards it’s her grade of 87 in Math, then countless more instances, and now it’s standing up for herself when she was getting mocked by an entire group of men who think they are better for being male. She can outsmart each and every guy present in the room yesterday and her little scene with Mr. Choi is solid proof of that. If anything, she should be cruel to those scumbags who brag about earning 6 digits money and cheat on their wives to feel superior. 
 

[Father]:

Sitio San Roque, 7 AM.

 

[Seungwan]

Yes, Pa.

 

Taking it as her cue to get up and get dressed, she wore a bomber jacket on top of her gray shirt and a pair of washed-out blue jeans. She trudged down the stairs and grabbed a filled water bottle on the kitchen table. As much as Wendy liked to admit, waking up at 7 A.M today feels like a heavy workload and unlike before, she feels like this day is about to take a weird turn.

 

“Manong, we can go na po. I don’t want to be late eh.” She said to her driver.

 

The car pulled out of the driveway and faced the traffic bottleneck that is EDSA. Such a pain in the to face this early in the morning.
 

Too many pasaways kasi na jeepney drivers and bus drivers who can’t stay in their lane.

 

Wendy settled on listening to music and taking a nap to make the time pass. She hoped that the next time she opens her eyes, her dad will finally praise her for being the daughter that he wants her to be. 

 


 

"So, what shifted?" Joy asked with a playful smile on her face.

 

They're currently sitting inside a cute milktea shop in Century City Mall. They decided to push through with their "date" casually, so they chose to hangout in a mall.

 

"What do you mean?" Seulgi's brows furrowed.

 

Joy rolled her eyes at the bear-like girl. "What made you go out with me kasi." 

 

"Ah," Seulgi chuckled, eyes almost closing. "I'm not going to lie, I'm just stressed and maybe I'm in need of a breather."

 

This piqued Joy's attention. "Do tell." 

 

Nothing to lose

 

"Welp, I have this friend, mayaman. As in, super yaman. And as a new activist, siyempre ngayon ko lang nakita na I was blinded by privilege. Was, ha. Kaso, she's currently blind pa rin, I guess."

 

Joy nodded, prompting Seulgi to continue. "Aaaand there's conflict of interest, because as we speak, I think she's doing business sa community where our org is defending the urban poor. They're trying to build a mall, kakumpitensya ang Ayala, I think."

 

Surprise was written on Joy's face. 

 

"Woah," was all that she could utter. Seulgi laughed at her reaction. Joy shook her head, regaining her composure.

 

"Wait wait wait," Joy said, leaning from across the table, their faces practically just inches from each other. Seulgi quickly looked away from Joy, ears reddening in the process.

 

Oh my god Seulgi, what is wrong with you! This isn't me wtf

 

"Is your friend a Lustre? THE Wendy Lustre?" 

 

.

 

"Yes, but please wag mo ikalat? I might get in trouble, SHE might get in trouble," Seulgi pleaded with concern. Even if they're not on speaking terms right now, she still cares for her friend. It's complicated, but she really does. 
 

It's very frustrating to see someone you care for having different views from you, especially if their mindset is harmful. Seulgi gets it, really, because Wendy is just another victim of familial pressure. The last thing her friend needs is another scandal which she isn't even aware of.
 

"Of course not. I'm not like that, ah. My mouth is—“ Joy proceeded to make a zipping gesture on her lips.

 

"You can trust me, Miss Kang."

 

Seulgi smiled at her. "Alright, Miss Legazpi." 
 

They stared at each other for a while, unconsciously not breaking eye contact. A few seconds passed when Seulgi can't handle the staring contest anymore, urging her to clear . The action took Joy out of her trance too.

 

"So anyway," Joy blinked, "I was like that dati rin." 

 

"Hmm, I wouldn't have guessed. La Sallian, activist? Hindi talaga." Seulgi teased.

 

Joy chuckled at her remark. "No, really. I was even very indifferent dati towards activists. Very annoyed ako whenever they would show up sa news. Ikaw ba?"

 

Seulgi tried to remember, "I wouldn't say that I was annoyed at them. More like, I don't care? But yeah, my friend is just like that, too."

 

"You know what popped my bubble of privilege?" 
 

"What?"
 

"My friend's persistence," Joy smiled.

 

Seulgi could only nod in understanding. Yes, she knows that it takes patience to make someone change their old ways. But can you blame her? It's frustrating, because it seems like Wendy doesn't even try to educate herself. Add the fact that her own family is the root of all these problems.
 

"It took awhile, pero here I am. She educated me, a lot. I was a pain in the , but she stuck with me. She didn't give up on me,"

 

"So don't give up on her, Seulgi."
 

Seulgi nodded with conviction. It's settled; she'll do her best to not punch Wendy in the process of trying to educate her. Again.
 

"I won't." Seulgi smiled.
 

A beat passed when Joy spoke again. "Sobrang serious ah, why don't we continue with our date, babe?" 

 

Once again, Seulgi turned into a pile of panicked gay mush.
 

Seriously Seulgi, what is happening to you?!

 


 

"Guys, ready na tayo?" Ani ni Irene.
 

"Yes na yes madam lek!" Rinig niyang sigaw ni Wheein mula sa likod ng grupo. 
 

"Kung ganon, tara." 

 

Lalaban, para sa bayan.

 


 

A little bit after an hour, Wendy felt the car stop and hearing her driver call out her name.

 

“Ma’am, andito na po tayo,” her driver said.

 

“Oh sorry kuya, I fell asleep. Thank you, park anywhere nalang for the meantime po, this might take a while.” Wendy instructed her driver. 

 

She stepped out of the car, taking a look at her not-so-good-looking surroundings. She didn't want to be rude but the area looks so grimy that she almost backed out. 

 

“Hala ang yaman ni Ate," she heard a little kid say. 

 

“Bibigyan kaya niya tayo ng pagkain? Gutom na ko eh.” Another one complained to his playmates.

 

The thought of starving children tugged at her heartstrings. Wendy kept in mind to bring plenty of food the next time she visits to check the place out. 

 

“Bright morning to you, Ms. Lustre.” Mr. Lee greets her, “Coffee?”

 

Wendy shakes her head, “Thank you for the offer, but I already had mine.”

 

“Oh, well then let’s just look around and see how convenient this area is for the new shopping mall.” 

 

An old man approached the two-- he appeared to be at least seventy-five years old or even older. A certain vitality in his movements implied that he was or still is a hard worker in the construction department. As for his clothes, they were a bit ragged and dirty, almost impossible to distinguish the original color of the shirt he is wearing.  

 

“Magandang umaga, hijo at hija. Ano ang sadya niyo dito?” the man asked.

 

Wendy’s Filipino is not the best but she can make sense of a few words; they're somewhat understandable, but still unfamiliar to her.

 

“May titignan lang po sa back there.” Wendy responded.

 

The man chuckled at Wendy’s poor use of Filipino. “Gusto niyo bang samahan ko kayo? Hindi kasi kaaya-aya ang itsura ng lugar na iyon at balita namin ay may dadayo dito na mga estudyante mamaya.”

 

Mr. Lee smiled warmly, “Maraming salamat po, I think we could really use some help. We might get lost po eh, my companion and I are not familiar with the lugar po.”

 

“Unless, that’s a hassle for you po. We can do it on our own naman po.” Wendy added.

 

“Di siya abala, mga anak. Tara na, paparating na ata ang mga estudyante.” 

 

The three of them passed by a metal gate that leads to the houses of the informal settlers. People around them were friendly but some are creepy-looking, especially the men holding beer bottles.

 

“What exactly are we looking for here?” Mr. Lee asked Wendy.

 

“Mr. Lee—”

 

“Jaehyun,” Mr. Lee, now known as Jaehyun, cut her off.

 

“Okay Jaehyun, the board including your father gave me a task to inspect the area and plan on the specific locations that would be spacious enough for other businesses to open near Lustre’s Mall.” Wendy elaborates.

 

“I hope they’re not calling it Lustre’s Mall,” Jaehyun jests, “It’s too narcissistic.”

 

“Funny.” Wendy deadpans, walking faster to catch up with their temporary tour guide.

 

“Ayan na pala ang mga estudyante galing UP. Pasensya na at mag-iingay ata sila ngayon.” The old man announced, Wendy snapping her head towards the direction he is pointing at.

 

UP?!

 

A few steps or so from where Wendy and Jaehyun stood was Anakbayan’s very own Irene. Not just her, a whole flock of students who were standing around her with placards like:

 

UPHOLD URBAN POOR’S RIGHT TO THE CITY.

 

AYALA AT LUSTRE, ABALA SA MAMAMAYAN!

 

ABOT-KAMAY NA RENTA, IPAGLABAN!

 

And other words that she did not bother to look at. 

 

“Today’s going to be a long day, Jaehyun. Get ready to have an informal discussion with those pain in the asses.” Wendy warned the confused Jaehyun. 

 

“Are they the protest thingy people?” Jaehyun questioned.

 

“Yes”

 

“Oh, I hate them so much. They cause traffic and .”

 

Wendy nodded, power walking to the infamous anakbayan rebel whom she had a few encounters with. However, Irene’s still clueless about her identity. 

 

“Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen.” Wendy greets the activists, “Do you mind if you take that elsewhere? We’re in the middle of a business agreement here.”

 


 

Ay kung sinuswerte ka nga naman.

 

Nakatayo sa harap ni Irene ay walang iba kung hindi si Wendy Lustre. Oo, sure na siyang ang heredera ng Lustre Inc. ang nasa harap niya, unlike dati.
 

"Lek, siya ba yung—"
 

"Oo lek, ang ganda pala shet nababakla ako"
 

Rinig niyang nagbubulungan ang mga kasama niya mula sa likod. Hulaan niyo na lang kung sino yung nababakla (siyempre si Wheein). 

 

Nakakunot ang noo ni Irene. Hindi na niya mapigilan ang sarili sa pagsasalita.
 

"Lustre? Anong ginagawa niyo rito?”

 

Nakita niya si Wendy na ngumisi nang nakakaloko. Rinig niya ang mahinang tili ni Wheein mula sa likod.
 

Apaka rupok talaga non kahit kelan, isip ni Irene sa sarili. Kahit kapitalista willing patulan basta maganda. Natanggal sa isip niya ang pagkahumaling ni Wheein sa Lustreng nasa harap niya nang magsalita ito.
 

Nakita ni Irene kung paano tanggalin ni Wendy ang kaniyang mamahaling sunglasses. "We're here to conduct business, and by business I mean make business out of this land."

 

Punyeta talaga mga Lustre!!