what did you bury before those hands pulled me

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚊𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚜

A/N: Here's a new update that Mich and I have been working on na supposedly ipopost nung WR Day kaso di umabot. The song inspiration for this chapter is Like Real People Do by Hozier. 

Comments and upvotes are highly appreciated! And if you'd like to talk about this on twitter, use #RVTheLustres (if you want ehehehe)

Enjoy!!!


 

"Woah."

 

Seulgi was surprised at the scene before her. It's her first time joining a protest like this as a legitimate member of a mass org. People were shouting in unison, brought together by a common goal. She used to be apathetic, yes, but slowly, she's starting to realize that there are pressing issues that need to be taken care of. Seulgi knows that, even before joining the rally, but being present in an event like this concretized what she was feeling.

 

She feels angry and disappointed. 
 

She still has a lot to learn, but she decided to start motivating herself with the said emotions. Maybe with her standing in life, she can help the less privileged, she thought to herself. 

 

She thought about texting Irene to join her, but she decided to not do it for now. She wants to immerse herself first, to be alone for a minute and be one with the people.
 

Seulgi started to shout with the crowd. Her voice harmonized with the voices of people, protesting for their right to dissent. She could feel her heartbeat getting caught up in ; the rush of being one with the mob fueling her veins. 
 

"Duterte pasista! Bastos! Misogini-- ahk!" 

 

Seulgi felt dry up from all the shouting she was doing. She ended up coughing for a good minute before recollecting herself. She pulled away from the crowd, looking for some vendor selling water to quench her parched mouth.
 

After walking for a good minute, she finally spots a lady selling some water and other finger foods.

 

"Pabili po, isang tubig." Seulgi said to the woman with a small smile.

 

The woman smiled back, "Ilan, nak?" 
 

"Isa lang po," Seulgi replied while fishing for a hundred peso bill from her wallet. She handed the money to the vendor while receiving her much-needed bottle of water. The lady was about to hand her the change when she spoke.

 

"Keep the change na po, 'nay." Seulgi smiled.
 

Surprise etched on the worn down face of the lady. "Hala, sure ka ba 'nak?" She asked with worry.
 

Seulgi simply nodded with a pleasant smile. She was opening her bottle of water when she heard the woman speak.
 

"Salamat, 'nak." She smiled tenderly at Seulgi. "Kasali ka ba don sa protesta?"
 

Seulgi took a sip first before replying, "Yes po. Nakakauhaw po pala yung pagsigaw." She said while chuckling. The lady laughed at her cheeky remark.
 

"Pagbutihin niyo, 'nak. Kayo na lang pag-asa naming mga hindi nakaaangat sa buhay," the woman said with a sad smile. The words pierced through Seulgi's heart like a sharp arrow. Suddenly, she's energized again to fight for the people.
 

Seulgi was about to reply when she spoke again. "Alam mo, akala ko dati okey si Duterte." 
 

This caught Seulgi's attention. She's heard before that the people who voted for him were those who didn't belong in the middle or upper class. She was too naive to take part in politics then; she's too caught up in dating girls and hanging out with Seungwan. But now, that's slowly changing.

 

I'm now fighting for the people, checking out girls, and hanging out with my bestfriend. 

 

Her bestfriend whom she hasn't spoken to since their last argument. Seulgi made a mental note to talk with Seungwan later after the protest.
 

"Kaso ayon," the lady's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. "Naging biktima ng tokhang yung pamangkin ko." 

 

That surprised Seulgi. It's not new to her, the news about extrajudicial killings. But talking to a victim of the wretched justice system was new to her.
 

She kept silent, urging the woman to continue. 

 

"Magdi-disinuebe pa lang yung pamangkin kong 'yon. Naalala ko non, pumunta lang siya sa tindahan para magpaload, para ata sa em-el? Basta yung laro." The woman smiled bitterly.
 

"Tapos ayon, maya-maya may kapitbahay na nagsisisigaw sa labas ng bahay namin. 'Mare! Si Jan-Jan! Nabaril!', takbo agad kami sa labas. Di ko na alam nangyari, pero nakarating muna kami sa estasyon ng pulis bago pa man makapunta ng ospital si Jan-Jan. Nanlaban daw, nahulihan daw ng dalawang pakete ng shabu."

 

Seulgi froze. Just how despicable can one person get to pull off a murder and pin it on the victim? Her blood boiled at the thought. 

 

Ngayon alam ko na.

 

"Kaya 'nak, pagbutihin niyo ha? Salamat sa ginagawa niyo. Pati na rin sa isangdaang piso, hehe." The lady chuckled, but the pain was still present in her eyes.

 

"Opo, salamat po sa pagshare. Gagawin ko po lahat ng makakakaya ko." 

 

Seulgi wondered on her way back. Will Seungwan be able to come out of her bubble of privilege? How can she help her bestfriend? 

 

Start by talking with her, duh.

 

She was drinking the last remains of her water when she arrived back at the protest. The scene before her put her in an immediate state of shock.
 

Cops were manhandling the vast majority of the activists, and more uniformed officers were arriving. She thought this was a peaceful protest! What is happening?
 

Her heart started to race. Her instinct told her to call Seungwan. She kept her distance at the crowd, chest pounding from fear. 
 

"Hey, I was just thinking of calli--"
 

", Wan, please pick me up"
 

"Where are you?"
 

"I'm so scared, "
 

"Seul, I need you to calm down. Nasaan ka?"
 

"I'm here at XY drive. UPD."
 

"Seul, stay on the line. What happened?
 

"I-I joined a protest. Peaceful protest naman. But they showed up."

 

"Who, Seul?"


 

"The cops."


 

"What? Kang Seulgi! Are you being serious right now?"

 

"Oo nga. Please just get her as soon as you can? I think I'm safe for now. Thank you Wan."


 

Silence.

"Wan?" She checked her phone. 

 

"Ay tangina." Her battery's dead. 
 

Her feet started moving on their own. Her fight or flight response has been activated, and she chose the latter. She quickened her pace, almost running away from the fiasco. A few minutes later, she found herself inside a fast food chain, catching her breath.
 

She roamed her eyes, still wary of the people in blue. Once she's sure that the coast is clear, she proceeded to sit down at a vacant table. That's when she saw her.
 

Seulgi squinted her eyes, unsure of what she's currently seeing. It seemed like the girl from across the room was trying to fold a cardboard to fit it inside her backpack. She saw a glimpse of what's written on it,
 

DEFEND PRESS FREEDOM

-AB VITO CRUZ
 

Seulgi perked up at what she saw. The girl looked scared, hands trembling while zipping up her backpack.
 

Seulgi didn't notice that she unconsciously walked towards the girl, not until she's standing in front of her. She cleared , gaining the attention of the girl. 
 

Her breath hitched when she saw a beautiful face staring back at her, with a questioning look.

 

"Do you need anything?" Said the girl.
 

"Um, no. Ah, actually, yes. I joined the protest din earlier, but the cops showed up. Um, can I borrow your phone saglit? For a phone call." If there's something you need to know about Seulgi, it's that her conyoness shows up whenever she's nervous. 

 

The girl just nodded. She handed her phone to Seulgi, who accepted it gratefully. 

 

While dialing her bestfriend's number, she decided to introduce herself. 
 

"I'm Seulgi, by the way."

 

The girl forced a smile, "Joy." 

 


 

"Mano po, Ma." 
 

Kauuwi lang ni Joohyun galing Maynila. Ngayon ay mags-stay siya for 4 days sa Batangas, gawa ng long weekend. Kung hindi pa siya sinabihan ni Wheein na walang pasok ngayong araw hanggang sa susunod na Martes, ay baka hindi pa siya umuwi sa probinsya nila. Lubog na kasi siya sa acads at org works kaya hindi niya namalayan na may paparating na holiday pala.

 

"Oh, nandyan ka na pala. Ilapag mo na yung mga madudumi mong damit sa labahan, ako na muna maglalaba para sayo. Mananghalian ka na, may sinigang don sa kusina." Bungad ng nanay ni Irene sa kaniya. Napangiti na lang siya sa asal ng ina.

 

Payak ang pamumuhay ng pamilya niya rito sa Batangas. Office worker ang tatay niya, samantalang may-ari ng isang maliit na karinderia ang nanay niya. Sapat ang kinikita ng kaniyang mga magulang para matustusan ang pag-aaral niya. Hindi rin naman kasi kalakihan ang tuition niya sa UP. Ang kapatid naman na bunso ni Irene ay nasa senior high school pa lamang.

 

Binaba na ni Irene ang mga dala. Pumunta muna siya sa sala kung saan nakaupo ang tatay niya. Nagmano rin siya rito.

 

"Si Yeji, asan?"
 

"Nasa kwarto niya." Simpleng sagot ng tatay niya habang nakatitig sa tv.
 

Tumango na lang si Irene. Naglakad na siya patungo ng kusina para kumuha ng pagkain. Nagsasandok na siya ng kanin nang may marinig siyang tumawag sa kaniya.

 

"Oy ate." Ang kapatid lang pala niyang si Yeji..

 

"Uy," tumango si Irene hawak ang sandok. Ibinigay niya ito sa kapatid. "Kumain ka na rin, sabay na tayo."

 

Kinuha ni Yeji ang inabot ni Irene. Naupo na siya sa mesa, hinihintay ang kapatid na makakuha ng pagkain. Maya-maya ay sinaluhan na siya ni Yeji, dala ang gabundok na kanin sa plato.
 

"Ang dami naman niyan!" Gulat na sigaw ni Irene sa kapatid. Inirapan na lang siya nito.

 

"Pake mo ba? Gutom ako eh." 
 

"Bachoy," pang-aasar ni Irene sa kapatid.
 

"Loshang!" Pagganti ni Yeji.

 

"Aba, sinong loshang? Excuse me, sa ganda kong to? Sige, bawal ka na manghiram ng mga damit ko." 
 

"Sabi ko nga, ang ganda-ganda ng ate ko. Hehe," nag-offer ng peace sign ang kapatid niya. Inirapan siya ni Irene. Pagkatapos ng mini bardagulan session nila ay nagsimula na silang kumain.
 

Pagkakain nila ay tumambay muna sila sa sala. Nadatnan ni Irene na nagce-cellphone ang tatay niya, samantalang nanonood ng kung anong noon time variety show ang nanay nila.
 

"Irene." Narinig niyang sabi ng tatay niya. Napatingin siya sa ama, seryoso ang mukha nitong nakatingin pa rin sa cellphone. Kumunot ang noo ni Irene, nagtataka kung bakit siya tinawag.
 

"Hindi ba't sinabi kong itigil mo yang protesta protesta na yan?" Unti-unting tumataas ang tono ng tatay niya.

 

Heto na naman tayo.
 

Magsasalita na si Irene nang maunahan siya ng tatay niya. "Tingnan mo! HETO, kumalat ang litrato mo sa facebook!"

 

Inabot ng tatay niya ang phone na kaniya namang tinanggap. Nakapost ang litrato niya sa facebook page ng org nila. Nanlamig ang kamay niya sa nakita. Hindi niya ineexpect na magva-viral ang post na 'yon.

 

"Pa--"

 

"Ano? Napaka tigas ng ulo mo! Ano bang ginagawa mo sa UP ha? Mag-aral ka na lang, sinasayang mo oras mo sa rally rally na yan! SINASAYANG MO ANG PERA KO!"
 

Nanginginig na sa galit si Irene. Passionate siya pagdating sa paglaban para sa bayan. Oo, matagal na siyang ginaganito ng tatay niya (minsan ay ang nanay niya, pero hindi sa ganiyang tono. Concerned ang nanay niya sa seguridad niya, samantalang pera lang ang inaalala ng tatay niya. Ang "nawawaldas" na pera niya.); akala niya ay masasanay siya, pero hindi.

 

Masakit pa rin pala ang ma-invalidate ang mga gawa mo.
 

"Hon, tama na--" triny ng nanay niyang awatin ang tatay niya. Ang kapatid naman niya ay nasa tabi niya, nag-aalalang nakakapit sa braso niya.
 

"Hindi! Kelangan matutunan nitong batang to na HINDI tayo mayaman para maglaro-laro lang siya sa punyetang UP na yan! Putangina Irene, hindi ko napupulot ang pera kung saan-saan lang!"
 

Hindi na kinaya ni Irene ang mga sigaw ng tatay niya. Nangingilid ang luha niya nang sumagot siya rito.

 

"Kung makaasta kayo, parang kayo ang gumagastos dito sa bahay ng lahat ah! Porket nakaupo ka sa opisina mo, nagaastang hari ka na, Pa? At para sa kaalaman niyo, nag-aaral ako habang pinaglalaban ang karapatan NATIN. Tayong mga hindi nakaaangat sa buhay! Ngay--"
 

 

PAK


 

Napahawak sa pisngi si Irene. Nanlaki ang mata nilang lahat sa nagawa ng tatay niya. Mahapdi ang sampal galing dito, pero mas masakit ang realisasyon na sarado ang isip ng sarili niyang pamilya sa mga nangyayari sa bansa nila.

 

"Ate--"

 

Umalis si Irene mula sa sala na may bigat na damdaming dala-dala.

 


 

It’s been a few days since the protest but Seulgi’s still shaken up from the incident. Seeing the injustice happen before her eyes is something that’s etched in her mind forever. As much as she wants to move on, she can’t. Seulgi finally experienced what the masses have been experiencing for years and it traumatized her. Anger fuels inside her.

 

The oppressors must be stopped. The abusers must be behind bars already.

 

She was engrossed in her thoughts that she almost missed her phone ringing. 

 

Joy Legaspi calling…

 

“Huh? How did she find my facebook account?” she whispered

 

“Hello?” Seulgi greeted the caller

 

“Hi!” Joy replied cheerfully, “I hope you don’t mind na hinanap ko pa yung fb account mo. It’s just that I forgot to return your handkerchief, you know the one that you lent me habang we’re pauwi.”

 

Conyo talaga ng mga Lasallians.

 

Seulgi unconsciously smiled, “Ah yun ba? You can keep it, handkerchief lang naman yun eh”

 

She heard a giggle at the end of the line, “Damn what reason will I use now as an excuse to see you again?”

 

Seulgi’s eyebrow raised, “Oh”

 

“Wait was that straightforward, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to make things awkward”

 

Cute.

 

“Di naman,” Seulgi countered, “Anyway, pwede mo naman ako makita ah”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Videocall, boomer ka ba sa electronic devices?” Seulgi teased the other girl making the both of them laugh.

 

“Grabe yung boomer, sige wait oopen ko na”

 

Seulgi placed her cellphone directly in front of her face to fit the small screen, waiting for the other to connect.

 

“Hi” Joy said, looking a bit timid. Very opposite from what she showed a week ago when they were together.

 

“Hello”

 

Seulgi was dumbfounded the minute she saw Joy flash a gummy smile. If butterflies in the stomach were true then Seulgi can be a proof of that. Her abdomen feels funny, her heart picked up the pace, and her smile, whom she had no idea was there in the first place, widens like a kid on christmas.

 

“Grabeng tinginan yan, baka mafall naman ako” Joy cracked a joke.

 

“Edi sasaluhin kita.”

 


 

Napatitig si Irene sa kisame ng kaniyang kwarto habang patuloy na tumutulo ang luha galing sa kaniyang mata. Hindi ito ang unang beses na pagbuhatan siya ng kamay ng kaniyang tatay ngunit hindi pa rin siya nasasanay sa ganoong reaction.

 

Naisip niya kung ano ba ang mali sa ginagawa niya? Hindi ba’t para sa bayan din naman ito? Makikinabang din naman ang magulang niyang suportado pa rin sa katarantaduhan ng gobyerno? Sa mundo ngayon, hindi na sigurado kung sino ang susunod na biktima ng karahasan, lalo na’t napatupad na ang batas na magbabaliwala sa Human Rights ng mga Pilipino.

 

Kaya oo, walang mali sa ginagawa niya dahil pinagtatanggol lamang niya ang mga Pilipino lalo na ang mga maralita na siguradong maaapektuhan sa pang aabuso ng batas na ito.

 

“Hays Irene, ano ba namang tong buhay mo.” Napatawa nalang siya sa sarili niyang reflections.

 

Hinding hindi ako mapapatahimik ng kahit na sino, kahit pa magulang ko. Para sa bayan, at para lamang sa bayan.

 


 

Wendy was walking briskly in the hallway leading to her usual tambayan, Macci, when a classmate of hers tapped her on the shoulder. She removed her airpods and turned to face the girl.

 

“Hey Lustre! Professor Laracan was asking for you, make punta raw sa faculty.”

 

She smiled, “Oh, thanks Jean!”

 

Her destination changed so she turned the opposite direction and made her way to the faculty. The coldest room in the entire university and she have no clue why.

 

“Sir?” Wendy carefully maneuvered her way through the desks and chairs, she never realized how messy it is inside the faculty.

 

“Wendy!” Her professor greeted her merrily, “Take a seat”

 

She pulled out a black leathered swivel chair, dropping her duffel bag on the floor.

 

“Let’s talk about your campaign, your father reached out to me yesterday.” Typical. “He is pretty eager to know if you have the upper hand on this year’s election.”

 

Wendy expected this move from her dad. It does bother her at times whenever her dad would disrupt someone from her university just to ask about her improvements, ranking, anything besides her mental health and emotional wellness.

 

“I’ll have you know that you’ll be fighting against Jennie Ko, the top student in the Psychology department.”

 

She expected nothing less from the Jennie Ko, she will be a great competition for Wendy. Ruthless, strong-willed, and stubborn, her mindset’s the most consistent thing Wendy has ever seen. 

 

She smiled politely, “That’s nice to know”

 

Her professor chuckled, “But I gotta say, she won’t be an easy competition. From what I’ve heard around here, she’s relentless. Better get ready for that, I’m not ready to receive an earful from your father.”

 

She nodded, not really knowing what to say. As always, the people around them only care about what her father will say or what her father will do.

 

Her professor’s about to speak when her phone rang, “I have to take this po, excuse me.”

 

Wendy walks out of the faculty room—curious as to why her best friend is calling her in the middle of her class.

 

“Seul?” 

 

“Bro, I need your help!”

 

Something about Seulgi’s tone alarmed Wendy, flashbacks from the last time Seulgi called Wendy come rushing back in her mind.

 

“Are you in police custody? Are you hiding? Where are you? I’ll pick you up right away!”

 

She hears Seulgi laugh at the other line, “Bro, I need your help in convincing my parents to let me go on a class party.”

 

“I’m gonna kill you.” 

 

“Ooh as if that scares me” Seulgi

 

“I’m gonna make it a slow and painful death, motherer.” She taunts her best friend who pays no mind in her empty threats.

 

“You done? Nasa Satchmi ako”

 

Wendy frowns, “You did not attend sa class mo this afternoon?”

 

She began walking towards the parking lot where her car is parked. 

 

“Bakit naman ako aattend sa boring class ni Ms. Ricafrente? Tambay nalang ako sa katip no”

 

“You said Diliman wrong but okay, I’m on my way”

 

She hangs up and guns the ignition of her car. It’s dead hours so Wendy doesn’t have to worry about the infamous QC traffic.

 


 

“Oh buti naman naisipan mo ring lumabas ng kwarto mo.” Bungad ng kaniyang tatay, rinig sa boses nito ang pagka-irita.

 

Pumunta siya sa kaniyang nanay at nagmano, “Good afternoon po, Ma.”

 

“Umupo ka na dun anak, ihahain ko na ito. Saglit nalang naman.” Sabi ng kaniyang nanay

 

“Ate, patulong naman saglit dito sa math homework ko” sambit ni Yeji sa nakakatanda niyang kapatid.

 

Agad siyang naglakad papuntang sala at tumabi kay Yeji. Ramdam niya ang tingin ng tatay niya sakaniya ngunit nag focus nalang siya sa assignment ng kaniyang kapatid. 

 

Wala sa plano niyang masampal ulit dahil sa kakitiran ng utak ng tatay niya.

 

“Amin na, Yeji” inabot ng kapatid niya ang libro, “Ah madali lang to, ganto lang yan…”

 


 

“Ang tagal mong dumating bro ah, halos 30 minutes? Saan ka ba galing? Cubao?” Seulgi rattles off as Wendy pulls a chair out.

 

“Dami mong sinabi, it’s traffic outside. I miscalculated the route I took” Wendy responded in a monotone voice.

 

“Miss mo ko?” the other girl teasingly said.

 

Wendy stared at Seulgi, her lips in a thin line. “Is there a purpose why you made me go here?”

 

“Buti tinanong mo!” Seulgi clapped, “May party kasi sa bahay ng kaklase ko kaso may dinner daw kami with The Kims, yung family ni Jisoo.”

 

Wendy gave Seulgi this sort of crazed look— how can she prioritize a party first before meeting the Vice President of the Philippines’ family? 

 

“You’re ing turning down an opportunity to meet the Kims?! Have you gone cuckoo?”

 

Seulgi cringes, “Who the hell uses cuckoo nowadays? Pare, that’s so old school”

 

“Cuckoo issue aside, you can’t skip this dinner. Your family’s gonna kill you! Hell, even I’d kill you” Wendy breathes, “I won’t help you with this.”

 

“Is it because I haven’t formally apologized from last time?” Seulgi narrows her eyes at Wendy, “If that’s the case then I’d like to apologize for crossing the line. It was rude, disrespectful, and beyond impolite of me to be all up in your business especially since it’s family matters.”

 

Wendy flicked Seulgi’s forehead, “, that’s literally not the reason why I’m not gonna help you. Apology accepted by the way.”

 

She leaned against the chair and crossed her arms, feeling tired all of a sudden. Must be the pressure that her father’s putting on her with the election of student council and her future spot on the company. Everything was overwhelming and she has no time to catch a breath.

 

“Just this once please? I’m not interested in meeting them and I know my parents will set me up with Jisoo's brother.” Seulgi cries out, her two hands are clasped together.

 

“Ah right, you have that Irene girl right?” 

 

Seulgi shook her head, “I don’t think I’ll get far with Irene, it’s obvious naman na I’m not her type.”

 

Wendy, seemingly interested at the new found information, leaned forward and planted her chin into her palm. “Do tell, who’s the new girl now? Finally, you won’t waste your time with protesting and such because you know about that new law right?”

 

“I’m not quitting Anakbayan” 

 

“What?!” Wendy’s outburst was heard throughout the whole coffee shop, everyone turned their attention on her so she said her apologies and went back to the now composed and confident Seulgi.

 

“I know what you’re going to say, it’s dangerous to join now that there’s an anti-terror law yada yada yada” Seulgi mocked Wendy’s voice, “I’ll be safe okay? I assured you a bunch of times now. This is what I want to do and as long as your family won’t damage what we’re trying to protect like Sitio San Roque for example, then there will be no conflict of interest.”

 

Wendy nods, gnawing on her lip. “Yeah, what the hell right? I’ll make sure my father won’t trample on the things that you’re protecting but you have to keep your end of the bargain, staying safe.”

 

Seulgi smirks, “When have I ever been in danger”

 

“JUST A FEW DAYS AGO, KANG SEULGI!” Once again, Wendy caught the attention of the remaining customers in the coffee shop. She can feel the manager’s about to kick them out.

 

“Keep your voice down, holy . Ang sarap ng coffee nila kaya ayoko makick out okay?”

 

Wendy was about to respond but her phone’s ringtone cut her off.

 

Mr. Lustre calling...

 

“My dad’s calling me” Seulgi waved her off.

 

She picked up the phone and answered the call, “Yes Pa?”

 

“Come home this instant, we have something to talk about.” A tidal wave of anxiety sweeps through Wendy’s chest. Her father sounded annoyed.

 

“I’ll be there in 20” then her father hung up the phone.

 

She rushes back to Seulgi, frantically fixing her valuables before giving an explanation. “I have to go, my father’s looking for me.”

 

“Oh, do you want me to go with you?” Seulgi offered

 

“That’d be great actually” 

 

Seulgi drank the last drop of her coffee and packed up as well. Following Wendy to her car, fortunately she didn’t bring hers.

 

The ride to Wendy’s house was silent, aside from the sound coming from the air condition and Wendy’s fingers continuously tapping on the steering wheel—a habit of hers when she’s anxious about something.

 

After 20 minutes, they finally arrived at Wendy’s house mansion. With two unfamiliar cars parked near the water fountain.

 

Wendy squares her shoulder, “I’ll go inside his study room and you wait outside, in case he does something.” She says evenly.

 

“You got it man,” Seulgi assured her, “Here we are, I’ll be on the other side of the door. Goodluck”

 

Wendy took in a sharp breath before knocking on the door. 

 

She hears a faint “Come in” from her father.

 

“Pa?”

 

His father straightened his posture and gestured her to take a seat on the couch. 

 

“What’s the matter?”

 

“It has been brought to my attention that there is a 256 hectars of land that my rival company is eyeing on.” Her father begins explaining, “I bet you’re wondering why the hell am I telling you this and not my business partners.”

 

She nodded mindlessly, trying to figure out the purpose of this conversation. Her father did not call her for nothing, there has to be some catch. One that tells her won’t be easy.

 

“Sitio San Roque is the perfect place to build a new shopping mall. Lustre Inc. has been proposing this plan since last year and we’ve been looking into it for months now. The Ayala’s are planning on doing the same thing but I won’t stand by it. Seungwan, I told you I’ll open a spot for you in the company right? Consider this as your training. I want you to negotiate with the Ayala's and the people living in Sitio San Roque to surrender their land. I’ll make sure to give them a large sum of money in return.”

 

Her father’s words were still processing in her mind. Unknowingly, she shook her father’s hand while mulling over the information that her brain has yet to digest. She just went up and agreed to whatever her father wants her to do, Wendy’s sure it’s for the betterment of their family’s business.

 

After getting dismissed by her father, she walked out of the door and faced a fuming Seulgi. She’s clueless as to why Seulgi’s posture screams I am mad, I wanna punch you in the face.

 

“Do you wanna eat dinner with me?” She was about to put her arm around Seulgi’s shoulder when the other girl shoved her.

 

“Please tell me you did not agree to his wish?” the terseness in Seulgi’s voice confused Wendy even more.

 

“The what wish?”

 

Seulgi pinched the bridge of her nose, “The Sitio San Roque plan!”

 

“Oh!” She gnawed on her lip, “I did”

 

Seulgi scoffed while crossing her arms, “You’re unbelievable, Wendy. I literally just told you to not tramp on what we are fighting for and you did it in a matter of minutes.”

 

“What the are you talking about?”

 

“Piece of advice, those things that your father wishes you to do? It’s gonna bite you back in the . He is not a mighty ing hero, Wendy. He exploits his employees and shoo away the informal settlers, leaving them homeless and knee deep in poverty. Wake the up or I’m out of your life.”

 

She grabbed Seulgi’s wrist, in attempt to make the girl stay, but all she got was a swing of fist making contact with her face coming from her best friend. She lost her balance and fell on the floor.

 

“Don’t ing come near me if you’ll side with him. Either be a decent human being to the people that made you wealthy or rot in hell with your poor excuse of a father.”

 

Seulgi walked away, leaving Wendy with a busted lip on the floor.

 

What the just happened?!