strange things did happen here

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚊𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚜

After picking Seulgi up from her date, the two girls went back to Wendy’s house and saw a couple of luxurious cars parked outside the mansion (Wendy doesn’t like to brag so she calls it her humble abode).

 

“Full house tonight huh?” 

 

“Keep your head low and walk as fast as you can, I’m not in the mood to talk to opportunistic leeches. I want to relax before leaving for Canada later.” Wendy muttered as she tugged on Seulgi’s right arm. The thought of going to Canada for five days doesn't bother her. It will be a comfortable flight since she'll be using their private plane. However, she is not very fond of dealing with corporate slaves, at least not at the moment.

 

The large door opened and the ambitious design of their house welcomed Wendy. 

 

Way over the top for a social gathering, Father.

 

“Your dad doesn’t mess around with get-togethers. Siya dapat kinaibigan ko instead of your cheap .”

 

Wendy scoffed, “As if you can put up with his genius plans and complicated business ideas.”

 

Seulgi feigned offense, “You think I’m not smart enough to be your father’s bestfriend?!”

 

“That’s not what I’m saying but if the shoe fits then.”

 

“You’re an , Seungwan!”

 

The two kept on with their banter while failing to realize that they are doing the exact opposite of what they’re supposed to do. Almost all eyes fell on them as soon as they stepped foot inside Casa de Lustre, almost everyone except Wendy’s dad.

 

“Unbelievable! Is that you already, Wendy? You grew up beautifully.” His father’s right hand and her uncle, Lee, commented. 

 

Something about older men saying things like this to a younger woman makes her feel uncomfortable but she’s not allowed to act up or she’ll disappoint her father.

 

“Ah, Uncle! Good to see you here.” She offered a smile..

 

“Are you joining us today? I heard your father is opening a spot for you in the company. I hope you’re excited about that.”

 

Wendy should feel excitement, right? She should be overjoyed because her father finally trusted her with the legacy that she’ll soon take over but why does she feel... so empty? 

 

“I have yet to talk to my daughter about that, Lee. Pinapangunahan mo naman ako masyado, kapatid!” His father’s deep voice echoed in the room, “Seungwan, why don’t you go to your room and let the adults talk, yeah?”

 

She dismissed Seulgi and herself from the crowd and walked briskly towards the stairs.

 

“Your uncle’s a manyak talaga. Kadiri.”

 

“Tell me about it."

 

A voice cut them off before they even reached the stairs, "Ah, Seungwan," it was her father's voice, "before I forget, you won't be leaving for Canada tonight." He finished and went back to chat with his cronies.

 

Wendy furrowed her brows, while Seulgi threw her a questioning look.

 

"Probably some business fiasco that the big boys will handle instead of me." Wendy offered as an explanation. She's used to rationalizing on her own. Her father never really bothered to give her the reasons behind his orders, unless it's about keeping the family name intact by not bringing shame to it. 


 


 

“So ayun nga, kumain lang kami ng isaw tsaka kwek kwek. Arte mo kasi kaya siya yung sinasama ko sa food trippings ko.” Seulgi said with a teasing tone.

 

“My stomach’s sensitive, . And really? She agreed na you’ll get egg waffles and isaw lang?”

 

Seulgi laughed at her friend's words, “Egg waffles? Baduy mo bro, walang tumatawag ng ganun sa kwek kwek.”

 

“It’s what I hear sa Ateneo.” Wendy deadpanned.

 

“Weird talaga ng breed ng Ateneo students,” Seulgi shook her head, “Anyways, oo pumayag siya obviously. Simpleng babae lang naman si Irene kaya nga type na type ko eh.”

 

“A simple girl like her will change her intentions once she finds out who you truly are and what role you play in me and my family’s life.”

 

Wendy has had enough of Seulgi acting like a lovesick fool over someone who she knows nothing about. Irene’s beautiful—that’s something she won’t deny because she has eyes, but the both of them don’t even know what background she has. For all Wendy knows, she might be a convicted felon or a retired snatcher from Baclaran but she can’t confirm unless she orders their own private investigator to do a background check on the Iska girl.

 

“Bro, tama na nga yan. Alam ko worried ka pero big girl na ko okay? I’m not the child you grew up with na kailangan ng protection mo. I know what I’m doing so can you please just let me?” Annoyance seeping in Seulgi’s voice. 

 

Wendy may have had enough of Seulgi’s pining for the girl but the latter’s slowly growing more and more pissed at her best friend. Every story she shares about Irene becomes a banter fest because Wendy always reminds her that Irene’s only after her money.

 

“Can you blame me? You know what happened with my dad!—“

 

“I am not your dad, Irene’s not your father’s ex. Stop revolving your life around your dad’s world, Wendy, he’s not some hero that you should worship.”

 

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“Maybe I don’t or maybe I do and you’re just too blind to notice it. Tito can be manipulative at times and you’re letting him wrap you around his finger.”

 

“Get out of my house!”

 

Seulgi and Wendy stared at each other for a good second or two before Seulgi stood up and left the room. They fight about the smallest things but never about their family.

 

Wendy runs her hands up and down her face, exhaustion slowly making its way into her system and her fight with Seulgi didn’t help at all. All her life, she made sure to be like her father. She never once questioned herself for the way she’s acting because she’s aware that this is just preparation for when she decides to take over Lustre Industries.

 

Seulgi can’t be more wrong, I don’t worship my dad, I’m just following his footsteps because I was born with the obligations. 

 

All this because of a stupid girl, how funny Kang Seulgi.

 


 

*ping*

 

Binaba ni Irene ang librong binabasa para i-check ang phone. Buti na lang at hindi siya busy ngayon, kung hindi ay baka hindi niya pinansin ito. 


 

[Seulgi]

Hello, salamat nga pala for earlier :D

 

[Irene]

Bakit ka nagpapasalamat? Ikaw nga nanglibre eh

Thank you rin, if you insist 

 

[Seulgi]

Wyd?

 

[Irene]

Wala naman

 

Nag-abang ng response si Irene. Nang lumipas ang limang segundong katahimikan ay nagpasya siyang bumalik sa pagbabasa. Ibababa na sana niya ang phone nang muli na naman itong tumunog.


 

[Seulgi]

Can I get an advice?

If okay lang sayo


 

[Irene]

Go lang

Eto naman parang others hahaha

 

[Seulgi]

😂

Okay so where do I start

 

[Irene]

Take your time


 

Typing…


 

[Seulgi]

What if someone you trust doesn't trust the person you like?

 

I mean, alam kong mahirap magtiwala ng strangers, but I feel like sobra yung trust issues niya?


 

[Irene]

Sounds like they need to get to know each other more

 

Hmm sorry, di ko rin kasi alam yung buong situation. Baka kasi may basis naman yung pagiging distrusting niya?


 

[Seulgi]

I think ganon lang siya pinalaki :(

 

And the person I like is very nice, which inclines me to believe na baka kailangan niyang baguhin yung tingin niya sa mga tao


 

Napaisip si Irene doon. Mahirap talaga baguhin ang pananaw ng mga tao. Sa tatlong taon niya sa org ay napagtanto niyang hindi lahat ng Pilipino ay bukas sa pagbabago. Minsan, sa halip na matinong diskurso ang makuha niya, ay mura at paninigaw ang namumutawi sa mga bibig ng kaniyang kausap, mapa-online man o sa totoong buhay.



 

[Irene]

They'll come around. Basta handa kang maglaan ng energy para mabago isip niya. Parang sa org lang natin, dapat matiyaga para ma-achieve yung vision na maeducate ang mga walang alam sa nangyayari sa bansa natin.


 

[Seulgi]

Yeah, I understand 

 

Thank you, Irene :)


 

[Irene]

Walang anuman :)

 

Btw, hindi pa formally na na-aannounce, pero magkakaron ng peaceful protest. May ipopost mamayang pubmat sa twitter ng org, abang ka na lang kasi finafinalize pa yung details.


 

[Seulgi]

Sure!!

 

[Irene]

See you there?

 

[Seulgi]

See you there :D


 

After having a conversation with Irene, Seulgi kept going back to the argument she had with Wendy hours ago. She's in a state of confusion, they never fought that way and now she doesn't know how to make up for what she said
 

She isn't lying either, Wendy revolves her world around her dad and puts him on a pedestal. His father is a great man, an intelligent one with a savvy business mind, but that does not excuse his actions and how he treats his daughter. He puts pressure on Wendy's shoulder and masks it as love-- something he's not capable of feeling.

 

Whatever happens, I will always have her back. Wendy, you might be a stupid but you're MY stupid and you will always be my best friend.

 

Sleep finally won against Seulgi's attempt to stay awake and plan on how she'll apologize to her best friend. She decided it's a tomorrow problem and let herself embrace the warmth of her duvet sheets and soft pillows.

 


 

It was a hot day. Wendy took a sip of her iced latte, still pondering on her and Seulgi's argument the last time they saw each other. A week has passed, and they are yet to settle their differences and apologize to each other. Something WenSeul’s not used to, this is a rare occasion for the two. 
 

We never really get that emotional with each other. 

 

Unspoken words are common amongst them. They fight, they make up. That's how they're friendship goes. Because at the end of the day, they both know that their platonic fondness for each other is much stronger than any petty argument they go through. But this time, it seems like that's not the case.

 

Ah it.

 

She was about to take a bite out of her donut, preparing herself to dial her best friend's number with the intention to talk things through, when her phone lit up. Seulgi's calling.

 

Without any hesitation, she answered the call.

 

"Hey, I was just thinking of calli—"
 

A breathy voice cut her off, ", Wan please pick me up," stress was evident in her bestfriend's tone. She gathered her things quickly and stood up, exiting the coffee shop.

 

"Where are you?" 

 

"I'm so scared, ," Seulgi kept muttering over the phone. Wendy closed her eyes to collect her thoughts. Seulgi has a chill disposition in life, she's never been this anxious before.

 

"Seul, I need you to calm down. Nasaan ka?" 
 

Seulgi noticed the shift in Wendy's tone and use of language. She began to steady her breathing, looking around the place in order to ground herself. She saw a sign indicating the name of the street she's in. 

 

Once Wendy heard the name of the place Seulgi's in, her brain went on autopilot, driving her car as fast as she's legally allowed. The place Seulgi in is not that far from her location.
 

"Seul, stay on the line. What happened?" Wendy's voice is firm, not letting her worry manifest. 

 

"I--," Wendy heard Seulgi taking a deep breath before continuing. "I joined a protest. Peaceful protest naman. Then they showed up." 

 

Wendy's eyebrows furrowed. Who showed up?
 

"Who, Seul?" 

 

"The cops."
 

"What?! Kang Seulgi!" Wendy quickly realized that her outburst was uncalled for, especially in a situation like this. She quickly softened her tone. "Are you being serious right now?"
 

"Oo nga. Please just get here as soon as you can? I think I'm safe for no---"

 

Toot… toot…

 

Call ended.
 

Kang Seulgi, you . 

 


 

Wendy arrived minutes after Seulgi’s call and what she saw alarmed her, to say the least. Police checkpoints are scattered outside UP’s campus; they’re literally everywhere and it confused her because this is a peaceful protest right? Wendy reasoned to herself that maybe the protesters might cause an inconvenience that’s why the police are here.

 

Wearing her mask and a cap, Wendy went out of her car and walked through the gates of the campus. Security guards were surprisingly friendly, they let her in without checking any identification. 

 

She tried calling Seulgi’s phone but the only voice she heard is the system operator saying “The person you are trying to reach is unavailable this time, please try your call later." The silence after the missed call made her worry about her best friend even more. Different scenarios were forming inside her head and all of them do not end well.

 

Seulgi should’ve known better than to get involved with people like them.

 

Wendy kept on looking all around the area, hoping to get a glimpse of her stupid best friend. By experience, she’s aware of Seulgi’s skill in hide and seek but she shouldn’t do that to Wendy right now. She badly needs to see her best friend safe and sound or else they’re both dead.

 

As she was walking through the path leading to Sunken Garden, she heard an ear-piercing scream. Wendy ran as fast as she could to look for the owner of the voice and saw her resisting the big and bulky police officer. Irene’s face shows discomfort and fear. One thing you should know about Wendy is that she's not a heartless person. The moment she saw the girl's pained expression, her feet started moving on their own.

 

She didn’t even think twice; she pushed the police officer to the ground then grabbed the older girl’s hand to run away. Wendy didn’t notice how tight her grip was. All she knew at that moment is that she needs to protect herself and the girl she’s with.

 


 

Nagkakagulo na ang mga tao. Ang peaceful protest nina Irene ay nabulabog ng mga pulis na nakaestasyon sa paligid nila. Mabilis niyang inikot ang kaniyang mga mata, naghahanap ng paraan kung paano makakatakas. Di kalayuan sa kinatatayuan niya ay may pulis na hinihila ang isang kapwa raliyista.
 

Tatakbo ba siya o tutulong? Iyan ang tanong ni Irene sa sarili. 
 

Nakapag-isip na siya. Akmang patakbo na siya sa babaeng hinaharas ng unipormadong lalaki nang may humigit sa kaniya. Kung kanina'y siya ang tutulong, ay ngayon ata'y siya na ang may kailangan ng saklolo.
 

Napatili siya. Pilit niyang binabawi ang braso mula sa pulis. Bakas sa mukha ni Irene ang sakit na nararamdaman mula sa pagkapit ng lalaking kamukha ni Duterte. Hindi pa siya nakakaisip ng susunod niyang gagawin nang may nahagip ang mata niyang kulay asul. Kumunot ang noo niya, hindi alam kung anong nangyari. Nakita na lang ni Irene na napaupo ang lalaki sa lapag. Napatingin siya sa babaeng nasa harap niya ngayon. 
 

Magpapasalamat pa lang siya nang hilahin siya nito at nag-umpisang tumakbo palayo sa gulo. Wala na siyang nagawa kung hindi sundan ang babaeng tumulong sa kaniya nang makita niyang akmang susundan sila ng lalaking tinumba ng misteryosong kasama niya.

 

Takbo

 

Takbo
 

Bibigay na sana ang tuhod ni Irene nang naramdaman niyang huminto ang babaeng kanina pa siya hila. Nasa tapat sila ngayon ng Benitez Hall, ang college building of Education students. Hinila ulit siya papasok ng babae. Wala na siyang nagawa kung hindi sumama rito. Pumasok sila sa isang silid na walang katao-tao. 

 

Hingal na hingal si Irene kaya umupo muna siya. Pinunasan niya ang pawis na namumuo sa noo gamit ang shirt niya. Nakita niyang nakatitig sa kaniya ang savior niya mula sa kanina. Nag-iwas ng tingin ito nang magtama ang mga mata nila.
 

Inobserbahan lang ni Irene ang babae. Tumalikod ito mula sa kaniya at nagtipa sa phone nito. 

 

Binasag ni Irene ang katahimikan, "Uh, thank you pala sa kanina." 


 

Wendy was about to respond when an unknown number calling her flashed on her phone's screen. Under normal circumstances, she wouldn't answer the call. For all she knows, it might be a scammer, or worse, a stalker. But today, she's so anxious that she hoped it's Seulgi calling her from another phone.


 

And she was right.


 

"Where the are you?" Wendy asked quietly after she heard Seulgi's small 'hi'.


 

"Ugh, away from the scene… look, sorry if I worried you. I panicked when the cops showed up then I called you. Tapos my phone died. Buti na lang someone helped me," Seulgi explained. "I'm safe now."


 

"Well, you should be. I almost got arrested! Well not really, but I shoved a cop!" Wendy should be worried at the thought, but she won't lie, the experience gave her a rush. It was a taste of rebellion, something exciting for once happened in her mundane bourgeoisie life.


 

I mean, I was worried because I thought of what could've happened if the cops took me, but I'm over it now. Strangely. 


 

Seulgi's voice snapped her out of her thoughts, "WHAT?" her bestfriend exclaimed, "You? Pushed? A cop? Look at you all grown up! What would tito say, huh?" Wendy just rolled her eyes at her friend.


 

"Ano bang nangyari? And I'm guessing that you're safe now?"


 

"Yes, I'm safe now, no thanks to you. Basta, I just saw a girl being harrassed by a cop then my mind went blank," Wendy stole a glance at Irene. "I shoved the guy then ran away from the scene with the girl." 


 

"Ooooh," Wendy could hear the tone laced with mockery in Seulgi's voice. "Kwento mo mamaya. I need to go now, mukhang tinititigan na ako nang masama nitong hiniraman ko ng phone. I'll text you once I get home. Stay safe, Wan."


 

"Alright, bye." Wendy ended the call.

 

She let out a deep sigh before facing the girl seated on the other corner of the room. Another encounter with the same girl who makes her blood boil but this time, she felt scared for their safety rather than getting mad at being in a situation like this. Her father has policemen in his contact and in one press, all their problems with the law enforcement will vanish.

 

“Are you okay there?” She asked, changing the tone of her voice to make it unrecognizable.

 

Who knows? Baka later she knows what my voice sounds like pala diba.

 

“Ah oo,” Irene replied, “Medyo masakit lang yung hawak mo pero okay lang naman."

 

“Sorry about that, I was terrified."

 

“Kasali ka ba sa kabilang organisasyon? Di kita marecognize eh, bukod sa nakatago yung mukha mo sa face mask and cap” her tone was teasing, Wendy can feel the light atmosphere surrounding them.

 

“I’m not a part of any organization but I uhm,” oh my God think Wendy, “dropped my application form?”

 

Irene laughed, “Bakit parang di ka sure?” 

 

Well at least her laugh’s not like a demon unlike her personality.

 

“No no, I’m sure I dropped it sa… Palma Hall” 

 

“Palma Hall? College of Psychology? Sure ka?” 

 

Wendy suddenly felt hot with all the protruding questions the other one is throwing her way, also she’s wearing a hoodie inside a non air conditioned classroom.

 

Irene must’ve felt her uneasiness because she made her way towards Wendy. The way she walked left Wendy dizzy.

 

It must be my nerves, I can’t let her find out who I am.

 

“Sino ka ba talaga?” she can feel Irene’s eyes on her, she sensed the skepticism in her tone.

 

“Di ka naman siguro spy? Kasi tinulak mo yung pulis kanina tapos tinulungan mo kong tumakas. Hindi ka rin naman part ng KPL or LFS. At lalong lalo nang hindi ka nag aapply as a student here kasi mali yung building na sinabi mo. So sino ka?”

 

Please, if there’s a God out there, help me get out of this. Anything God, any help will do. Anyth—

 

“Ah teka lang, di pa ko tapos sayo. Sagutin ko lang tong tawag ng roommate ko” Irene excused herself

 

Wendy could cry out of happiness and thank Jesus for hearing her prayers immediately. She can feel her sweat trickling on the back of her neck and on her forehead.

 

With Irene turning her back and facing the window, she managed to slip out of the room without making any noise. 

 

If I could then I’d kill Seulgi with my bare hands. All she's ever done is to put me through hellish situations!

 


 

Tumalikod si Irene para sagutin ang tawag ni Wheein.

 

"HYUN? NARINIG KO YUNG BALITA? YUNG MGA PULIS! AY JUSKO OKAY KA LANG BA? HOY SUMAGO--"

 

"Kumalma ka ngang tuta ka, okay lang ako. Muntik na ko mahuli pero may nagligtas sakin." 

 

"Buti naman kung ganon. Andito ako ngayon sa dorm, di ako nakasali sa protest, may ginagawa akong requirement. Ay nako tangina talaga ng mga pulis na yan, wala nang ginawa kung hindi manggulo amputa." Halata sa tono ni Wheein ang panggigigil. 

 

Natawa na lang si Irene sa mga mabubulaklak na salitang lumabas sa bibig ng roommate niya. Halos buong college life nila ay sila ang magkasama sa iisang bubong. Dahil dito ay kapatid na rin ang turing ni Irene kay Wheein.

 

"Sinabing kumalma eh, hayaan mo sila, masusunog din ang mga kaluluwa nila sa impyerno kasama ni Duthirty. Sige na, uuwi na ko diyan once nag-clear out na yung gulo sa labas. Uwian kita ng milktea," paalam ni Irene.

 

"Yown! Salamat ate, sige ingat ka."

 

Binaba na ni Irene ang tawag. Saka niya napansin na mag-isa na lang siya kwarto.

 

"Punyeta."

 

Bakit ba lagi na lang akong natatakasan?!

 


 

Wendy is exhausted. 

 

All she wanted to do is sleep through the evening, but it seems like a higher being has different plans for her. She was about to go upstairs to her bedroom when her father called for her.

 

She knocked three times on her father’s study room door before twisting the knob and entering.

 

“You asked for me, Pa?”

 

Wendy’s dad looked up from the paper he’s reading on his table. He fixed his posture before speaking to his daughter.

 

“I did, I wanna talk to you about what your uncle told you last week. The board and I had a meeting two months ago about opening a position for you, so you can develop your skill and prepare you for taking over the company.” 

 

Wendy sighs, even before she was born everyone around them knew she’s going to be the heiress of all Lustre companies. She can never escape her duties and obligations from her family’s well-built dynasty. 

 

“Take a seat first, let’s discuss.” His father pointed to a cushioned chair in front of him. This doesn’t feel like a father-daughter conversation, it feels like an employer-employee meeting. Whatever, she’s used to it anyway.

 

“As I was saying, there will be a position waiting for you after you graduate from college. You’ll be graduating next year right? So, it’s pretty near already.”

 

“Pa, I still have another year in school before I graduate.” Wendy explained knowing her father can be forgetful sometimes when it's not business-related.

 

“Ah yes, forgive me. Nevertheless, you will train with the best of the best departments in our company and you will learn the basics of our business. I know you have a hunch on what we do but you’ll be taught on how we manage our assets, incomes, and other important things to raise our stock market price.” 

 

Her father stood up and grabbed two glasses with bourbon on the rocks, handing one to her daughter.

 

“Okay, I’m ready Pa.” Wendy said, determined to prove her worth in her father’s eyes.

 

“You will be sent to Canada as soon as you finish your studies here. You will be managing our company there,” his father replied, “Speaking of Canada, remember when I canceled your flight last week? Thank your mother, she’s the one who wanted to cancel it last minute because she’s worried our plan might take a detour and harm you in the process.”

 

Wendy was beyond shocked by what she’s hearing. One, her father explained why he ordered the cancellation of his plan for her, which he rarely does. And two, her parents are alive, with beating hearts that pump blood and oxygen all over their internal organs but she never felt like they were… human; she always thought of them as 2-dimensional parental figures, but finding out that her mother cared about her meant a lot to Wendy. She can't say the same for her father, though. 

 

For years, she learned how to be independent and to raise herself the way her parents should have, she learned how to love herself because her parents failed to do so, she learned how to cope with the fact that she will always be second best compared to her parents’ business and other things that can earn them money. But now, it's changing, in a way. For once, her mother expressed genuine concern towards her. But then again, she can't say the same for her stone-cold father.

 

One step at a time, I’m finally getting what I’ve dreamed of as a kid.

 


 

Binalanse ni Irene ang dala-dalang milktea at bag sa iisang bisig para i-free ang kanang kamay. Kumatok muna siya sa pinto bago ito buksan gamit ang susi. Tumambad sa kaniya ang nagbabangayan na Wheein at ang kaibigan nitong si Byul. 

 

"Magtanim ka na nga muna kasi! Mamaya ka na pumunta sa mines!" 

 

"Eh tangina ka pala, kanina pa ko tapos magtanim!" bulyaw ni Wheein, sabay tulak kay Byul. Napahiga si Byul sa sahig dahil sa lakas ng pagkakatulak ng kaibigan.

 

"Hoy, ano na namang pinagaawayan ninyo?" Paghinto ni Irene sa dalawa. Mahirap na at baka magbugbugan pa ito.

 

Napalingon ang dalawa sa kaniya. Automatic na bumaba ang tingin ni Wheein sa dalang supot ni Irene na may lamang milktea. Tatayo na siya para kuhanin ang pasalubong ni Irene nang pigilan siya ni Byul.

 

"Hoy i-pause mo nga muna! Diretso milktea agad eh parang tanga." Inirapan ni Wheein si Byul ngunit sinunod din niya ang sabi nito.

 

"Toxic mo maglaro, Stardew Valley nilalaro natin, hindi ML. Bwisit ka," pang-aasar ni Wheein. Nakarinig na lang siya ng mahinang 'mama mo bwisit' mula kay Byul, kaya binatukan niya ito nang mahina bago tuluyang lumapit kay Irene.

 

"Hi ate, welcome back. Hehe salamat sa milktea, best woman of this era ka talaga," uto ni Wheein kay Irene habang kinukuha ang milktea. "Musta naman kanina? Na-check mo na ba yung balita?" Dagdag na tanong ni Wheein.

 

Kinabahan si Irene. Sana mali ang kutob niya.

 

Si Byul na ang sumagot sa di niya masabing tanong, "May twenty na na-illegally detained galing sa protest kanina," malungkot na sabi nito.

 

Nanlumo si Irene sa narinig. Ito na nga ba ang kinakatakot niya sa bawat kilos-protestang sinasalihan niya-- ang matapakan ang karapatan nilang mag-express ng saloobin at maghanap ng katarungan sa kung anong nangyayari ngayon sa bansa. Lalo na nitong mga nakaraang linggo, kung saan may nakabinbin na "Anti-Terror Bill" sa kongreso, na mapapasabatas kung hindi aaksyunan agad.

 

Naupo si Irene sa kama niya. Ngayon pa lang niya naramdaman ang pagod mula sa mga pangyayari kanina. Nagpakawala na lang siya ng malalim na buntong-hininga. Umupo naman si Wheein sa tabi niya at nag-offer ng side hug sa kaniya.

 

"Magiging okay din ang lahat," pag-comfort ni Wheein sa nakatatanda. Na-appreciate ito ni Irene. Sweet talaga ang kaibigan niya, lalo na kapag nararamdaman nitong malungkot o frustrated siya. Nginitian na lang ni Irene si Wheein. Maya-maya ay tumayo na si Byul mula sa pagkakaupo sa sahig at kumuha ng tubig sa ref. Bumalik din ito agad para ibigay ito kay Irene. Kinuha niya ito at nagpasalamat.

 

"Salamat guys. Sige na, maglaro na ulit kayo," pilit na ngiti ni Irene.

 

"Mamaya na, makakapaghintay pa naman yung mga pananim namin," mahinang tawa ni Byul.

 

Si Byul ang matalik na kaibigan ni Wheein na laging tumatambay sa dorm. May dalawa pa itong kabarkada pero si Byul lang talaga ang halos araw-araw kung dumayo sa kanila, para lang makilaglaro ng switch kay Wheein. Dahil dito ay naging magkaibigan na rin sila ni Irene. 

 

Naupo si Byul sa kama ni Wheein. Tumahimik ang paligid, pero nabasag ang katahimikan nang tumunog ang phone ni Irene. Tiningnan niya ang screen at nakita ang caller ID ng kaniyang ina. Napakunot ang noo niya pero sinagot pa rin niya ito.

 

"Hello po?" 

 

"Irene! Nako! Nabalitaan mo ba yung nasa tv? May nahuli raw malapit sa inyo! Nako kang bata ka tigilan mo na yang pagrarally!" bakas ang pag-aalala sa tono ng nanay niya.

 

"Okay lang po ako, Ma. Andito po ako sa dorm ngayon." Hindi naman na dapat malaman ng nanay niya ang nangyari kanina, di ba?

 

"Ay ganon ba?" nawala ang alala ng ginang sa boses. "Ay sige, kumain ka na ng hapunan ha? Wag kang magpapakagutom diyan. Ayain mo si Wheein, kumusta na nga pala siya? Baka mamaya di rin yon nagkakakain." natawa na lang si Irene sa nanay.

 

"Opo, andito po si Wheein. Opo, kakain na po kami. Opo, okay lang siya. Parang si Wheein ang anak niyo ah," narinig niya ang tawa ng ina sa kabilang linya, "Sige na, Ma. Labyu, ingat po kayo diyan ni Tatang," pagpapaalam ni Irene sa ina.

 

"Sige nak, labyu too." 

 

Napabuntong-hininga si Irene pagkatapos ng tawag. Nakatingin lang siya sa phone, tila may iniisip. Maya-maya ay nagsalita na si Wheein.

 

"Tara, ikain na lang muna natin yan." Aya ng pinakabata sa kanilang dalawa ni Byul.

 

Habang nagdedecide kung saan sila kakain, biglang napaisip si Irene tungkol sa pangyayari kanina. Simula sa kanilang pagtitipon at paghahanda hanggang sa dumating ang mga pulis na walang ginawa kundi manggulo lamang at ang panghuli, kung sino ba ang tumulong sa kaniyang makawala sa bingit ng pagkakakulong?

 

Bakit kasi ako tinakbuhan ng babaeng yon?! Makakain na nga lang!