all along there was some invisible string

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚊𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚜

*bzzzt* 

 

Seulgi reached out to her pocket, pulling the vibrating phone from it. It’s 8 in the evening on a Friday night—maybe it’s a friend inviting her to a late-night party or something. She’d probably go since she doesn’t have anything better to do than lay around and play Valorant.

 

But, it would be better if it’s Joy who’s reaching out to her.

 

They haven’t seen each other in a while. They’d talk via video chats, but because of the taller girl’s schedule, they weren’t able to meet up since their “date”. Seulgi won’t lie—she’s missing Joy.

 

Much to her disappointment, it wasn’t Joy who texted her.

 

[Irene]

Hi Seulgi!

 

[Seulgi]

Madam! Anong meron?

 

Seulgi was caught off guard, to say the least. It’s rare for Irene to send a message to her these days, since she’s already a part of their org’s Discord server. She wondered what Irene needed from her at that moment.

 

[Irene]

Skl na yung ex mo, makiki sit-in sa EDs natin

 

Ex? Seulgi was confused. She never had an ex, only flings. She was about to ask what ex when her phone vibrated again.

 

[Irene]

Si Lustre

 

“What the ?” Seulgi’s small eyes widened. Realization dawned on her when she remembered her second encounter with Irene, wherein she made up an excuse to cover up Wendy’s rashness. 

 

And a large part of that excuse is her fake-ex-dating Wendy Lustre. 

 

She hastily typed a reply to Irene.

 

[Seulgi]

Really? 

 

That is so out of character for Wendy. Surely, there must be a reason for her to do that, Seulgi thought. Irene’s reply confirmed her skepticism.

 

[Irene]

We had a deal. Kung makakapagstay siya sa meetings, and hopefully learn something, edi sa ibang part kami ng San Roque mag poprotesta. 

Somewhere na di niya makikita

Bonus nalang yung pag nagbago isip niya and I am determined na mabago talaga.

 

Seulgi raised an eyebrow. Wendy the diplomat strikes again, ladies and gentlemen.

 

[Seulgi]

What if hindi magbago?

 

Seulgi’s afraid of that scenario, but she’s just being realistic. Wendy’s in too deep in her own bubble of privilege, and too scared to stand up to her father. Seulgi knew that much. So she’s really concerned that this effort to change Wendy’s mind will do more harm than good for the org. 

 

Seulgi really wanted to be there for Wendy, to educate her, and to help her unlearn her behavior. She took into account the advice Joy gave to her, but how can she help Wendy when she’s too hurt by the betrayal that her best friend did to her?

 

[Irene]

Trust in our org, Seulgi. Trust in me. 

 

Seulgi sighed upon reading the reply. She trusts her orgmates, yes. Wendy, however…

 

*bzzzt*

 

[Irene]

And trust in yourself. Walang matigas na tinapay sa mainit na kape, ika nga nila. Ito ang misyon ng org natin di ba? To educate people from all walks of life.

 

Seulgi let go of the breath she was unconsciously holding. Irene’s right. This is their mission. She’d have to trust the org, and put a little faith on her best friend, too. After all, she was once in Wendy’s shoes, too.

 

Still, she’d have to confront the Lustre tomorrow morning about this. To keep Wendy in line. For now, her thumb pressed a familiar phone number from her contacts screen. Seulgi raised her phone to her right ear, waiting for the person to pick up.

 

“Hello?” A melodious voice answered.

 

Seulgi smiled for the first time since the revelation on Wendy “joining” the org. She missed this voice.

 

“Hi Joy, free ka ba tonight?”

 


 

Her day was going great to say the least, even better now that her best friend’s calling her. Clearly, the news reached her already and Seulgi’s probably going to curse her out or be skeptical of her intentions but that’s just how Seulgi is these days, ever since she joined that stupid org. All Wendy can do now is to avoid slipping and act casual, ask for forgiveness, then it will all be good again.

 

“Hello?” Wendy carefully greeted Seulgi.

 

“Anong pinaplano mo? I know you, Lustre, all too well. What do you have up your sleeve?” Seulgi bombarded her with questions and it made Wendy chuckle. “You think this is funny?”

 

“No, but the way you’re accusing me right now is hilarious.” She continues laughing despite the grumble from the other line.

 

Seulgi huffed, “Seryoso na kasi, para kang tanga. Please, wag ka na tumuloy kung manggugulo ka lang. Iwan mo na to.” 

 

“So, you think I only bring chaos? Seulgi, ouch naman.” Wendy feigned offense. 

 

“I didn’t say that pero alam ko mga galawan mo, Miss Diplomatic Lustre.”

 

“Look, I won’t do anything harsh. I just want them to distance themselves from the site that we are going to take. That’s all.”

 

“Why make them stay, but in a far place, when you can use your power and throw them away? See, alam ko yang plano mo.”

 

Wendy nearly dropped her phone to the ground due to Seulgi’s almost perfect suspicion. She may have underestimated her best friend. However, she can still make herself look vulnerable to get Seulgi to sympathize with her. Thank God for her parents’ soft heart and she inherited it.

 

“Can’t you just look at me and see that I also have a beating heart? I am not some monster who uses power to make everything go in my favour. I mean it started as a deal but when I thought things through, I realized,” Wendy took a deep breath, “that maybe I can learn and change myself for the better. Seul, please trust me on this. I’m willing to learn about the things that you are passionately fighting for.”

 

If this is the only way to make her best friend forgive her and trust her again, then so be it. This way, her relationship with Seulgi will be mended again, and clearing her of any suspicions from her best friend’s part. With that, Wendy can finally devise a plan to take down the org from the inside. Was that selfish of her? Manipulative, even? Wendy begs to differ. 

 

Seulgi sighed, ruffling her hair, “I’m gonna either make a big mistake here or the right decision but I’ll trust you. Sana wala ka talagang ulterior motive, I will never forgive you if that happens.”

 

Wendy felt her heart stop at Seulgi’s last sentence. She has a deer-caught-in-the-headlights expression on her face as she hears Seulgi talk about the consequence of her future actions. Is it too late for her to back out on the plan she made? 

 

No, it’s for my family. She rationalized to herself. 

 

“Seulgi, I’m sorry really and I missed my best friend. Let’s stop fighting now because it’s exhausting and I really want to tell you all about the MK.”

 

“Fine, only because you’ll treat me samgyup. I have kwento rin about a girl.”

 

“Deal!” Wendy faked her enthusiasm. Yes, she wanted to catch up with Seulgi, but the pang of guilt is telling her to just curl up in a ball on her bed to avoid the look that her best friend will give to her, as if she’s some changed woman now.

 

Their phone call ended with Wendy carrying this big weight on her chest. She’s trying to do the right thing for her family’s name. She repeated the sentence over and over until she convinced herself that she is far from being a monster.

 


 

How is she still not interrupting the woman talking in front of her? She’d rather go sit in a mass than listen to whatever the hell this speaker is saying. Blah blah blah businessmen are evil blah blah blah. Are they not aware of how important businessmen and women are in terms of building the nation’s economy? Wendy can’t help but feel rage as Ms. Reymundo continues to vilify her family’s source of income.

 

“At sa unang araw na ito, ang susunod nating tatalakayin ay ang negatibong side ng kapitalismo. Ayon nga kay Karl Marx…” 

 

Wendy tuned off Irene as soon as Karl Marx was brought up. Of course, she’ll bring up Karl Marx, an idealist who thinks Marxism would work in the real world. In utopia, possibly, but not in a world where greed and selfishness are not only rampant, but are also needed in order for one to survive. So, why would she even bother to listen to Irene if all the things she’s tackling are pure bull?

 

What Wendy didn’t notice was the look Irene’s giving her, like she’s offended that Wendy’s mentally absent in today’s discourse.

 

“Lek Wendy, paki-ulit naman nung sinabi ko.” Irene called for her attention.

 

Wendy raised her head, “Uhh what?”

 

Irene showed her disappointment, “Lek, makinig tayo please.”

 

Wendy gave her a small nod, straightened her back to put up a front that she’s listening to the meeting.

 

“Sa susunod naman ay…”

 

It went on and on for hours and she was bored out of her mind. What boggles her mind are the people who can sit through this and not bash their head on the desk of the arm chair and she’s really close to doing that, maybe that’ll give her the excuse to skip this one.

 

As Wendy was about to give up, a lightbulb lit up inside her head. She’d rather humour herself if she’s going to sit through this, right?

 

“Excuse me.” She raised her hand.

 

“Yes?” Irene gestured for her to continue.

 

Wendy smirked, “If capitalism is bad and you think the people should abolish this then how will the country’s economy survive?” Confident that Irene would have a hard time answering, she mentally patted herself on the back.

 

“I can assure you that the country’s economy will do just fine if we wipe out the oppressive and enslaving system of Capitalism. Karl Marx argued that—“

 

“Karl Marx? The idealist? Using him as a basis for your argument will only slim down your chances of winning, Miss Reymundo.”

 

“Who says this is a competition, Miss Lustre? We are engaging in a healthy conversation, aside from the fact that you rudely cut me off while I was in the middle of explaining.”

 

“Apologies, however, I don’t think Karl Marx is the best person to trust right now. His Communism propaganda had a lot of weaknesses with it. I know you want Socialism and all that but would it really be ideal to have the government take all ownership of the land?”

 

Irene remained quiet and Wendy took it as a sign to continue.

 

“The same government who you want to overthrow because of their corrupt tendencies? Try again, Miss Reymundo.”

 

A devilish smirk slowly formed on Wendy’s face, who knew attending this kind of “discussions” would lead her to getting the reaction she wanted from Irene. Engaging in a HEALTHY discourse must’ve come from her mother’s lectures and never backing down from an argument came from her father’s of course.

 

“Thank you for your input Miss Lustre but we are tight on schedule and we have to finish this quickly.”

 

Yep, she’ll take that as a win.

 

Wendy - 1

Irene - 0

 

She kept tabs; it’s great for her ego. This MK experience wouldn’t be so bad after all.

 

That is, until she heard Irene speak again.

 

“With that said, I’ll just have to answer you with a short explanation. Ang ipinaglalaban natin ay hindi lamang simpleng reporma, lek. I’ll say it again; what we’re fighting for isn’t just for a reform to happen. That’s just a band-aid solution to a bullet hole. We need to restructure the oppressive system, which will only be obtained with a revolution, if push comes to shove.” Irene explained, reiterating every word that she said.

 

She paused for a while before continuing, “The people in position don't give two s about us, Miss Lustre. What we need are leaders who care for the masses, and for people to care for their own sake. That’s why our strategy is to arouse, organize, and mobilize. For the working class to realize their worth, thereby motivating them to stand up against the oppressors.” Irene said the last word with a pointed look towards Wendy.

 

Tension was rising inside Wendy. She’d be lying if she said that Irene’s words didn’t irritate her. She unconsciously clenched her fist. A beat passed when she decided to just let it go. For now.

 

Alright, Irene-1, Wendy-1.

 

“Any other questions?” Irene asked with an expecting look. Wendy sweetly smiled before answering.

 

“None for now, ma’am.” She said through gritted teeth while stabbing Irene’s pretty face in her mind.

 

Irene finally avoided her gaze to focus on the class before her. She continued on with the lecture, much to Wendy’s displeasure.

 

Well, there’s still plenty of opportunities to annoy the of this know-it-all, Wendy thought, with a devilish grin playing on her face.

 

You won the battle, but not the war, Miss Reymundo.

 


 

The Lustre household is intimidating, to say the least. Wendy would always shiver whenever she would enter the two big doors, like there’s a ghost floating around somewhere. The ghost of her innocence, perhaps. She laughed without humor.

 

“You just got home? Where were you?”

 

Of course her father will stay at their family lounge, reading from a folder that’s marked ‘confidential’ and catch Wendy coming in the house at 7:30 pm. That Mk was such a scam for saying it’ll end at 5:30pm at most.

 

“Yes, Pa. I was with a friend po.”

 

He uncrossed his legs and set down the folder he was holding to face his only daughter. Skepticism is written all over his face.

 

“Friend?” He started, “You never introduced someone other than Seulgi to me, Wendy. Is that a boyfriend?”

 

Had she lost all sense of morals in her body, she would’ve laughed her off but she’s not in the mood to get reprimanded. A boyfriend, really? Just the thought of getting close with men makes her nauseous already, let alone get one of those boyfriends.

 

“No Pa!” She replied defensively, “A friend po talaga.”

 

Is that what she’s calling Irene? A friend? Ew.

 

He nodded, “Okay, I’ll let this one go simply because I know you’re focusing naman on your endeavours. You still have a campaign to win alright?” 

 

Before Wendy could even reply, a voice was heard from a distance.

 

“Honey, the Kangs are coming here in 10 minutes. Are the dishes prepared?” Her mother called out for her father’s attention.

 

Wait, the Kangs? Seulgi’s family?

 

“Yes, 5 mins for the lobster but the other dishes are ready to be served.” 

 

“The Kangs?” Wendy furrowed her eyebrows.

 

“Yes dear, we invited them over for dinner. You and Seulgi can go to your room after dinner because the adults have businesses to discuss.” Her mother explained, not that she’s interested in knowing what business is there to discuss.

 

“Okay mom, I’ll change my clothes fast lang.”

 

One minute she was changing her clothes and the next, the two families were gathered inside their one of the many dining halls in this mansion house.

 

“And my Wendy here is running for Presidency again in Ateneo!” Her father bragged as if it was something to be proud of.

 

“Ah! Kumpadre, you got lucky with your daughter, she’s excellent in everything.” Seulgi’s father inflated her father’s ego.

 

Seulgi sighed beside her, “I’m so bored. Nagpapayabangan lang naman sila.”

 

Right, they’re on good terms now. It should stay the way it is. Seulgi doesn’t have to know her plan.

 

“Wanna ditch? This is adult talk anyway.” Wendy offered with a mischievous smile.

 

“Let’s go! I’m gonna beat your in Tekken.”

 

“No way!”

 

Her mother must’ve noticed their preparation to leave the table and cleared .

 

“Right uhm, excuse Seulgi and I. We have a lot to talk about.”

 

His Father and Seulgi’s father were too immersed in their conversation to even pay attention to what she said. Both just waved their hands and went back to discussing something about land reformation.

 

Is this guilt she’s feeling while staring at her best friend who’s having too much fun losing at Tekken? Seulgi’s a great person, she doesn’t deserve to be collateral damage in her plan. It doesn’t help that this could break them forever.

 

But a Lustre will always be a Lustre.

 

Merciless.

 

And Irene Reymundo, bless that poor girl, deserves every wrath Wendy has to give.

 

“So, kamusta naman yung sit-in mo?”

 

Of course they’re going to talk about it.

 


 

“Nangangalahati na tayo sa ating Maikling Kurso, mga lek! Kamusta naman kayo?”

 

“Okay naman po Ate!”

“Masaya po”

“Dami ko na pong natutunan”

were the answers Wendy heard from her co-“leks.” Well, she knew what “leks” meant but she didn’t give two s to use it. To be honest, she doesn’t give any about this meeting at all. She’d rather sweat and tire her off settling with the land owners of Sitio San Roque or busying herself with the upcoming Student Government election (which is a sure win btw, Jennie Ko even tried to back out last minute) but there she was, stuck inside this wannabe rebellious group who doesn’t do anything but complain.

 

“Bored.”

 

Irene turned to her with an unfazed look, “Bored? Miss Lustre, hindi ka sana mabuburyong kung makikinig ka lang.”

 

“That’s why I’m bored,” Wendy crossed her arms, “If I listen to the things you say, I get bored, and if I tune you out, I still get bored. See the problem here?”

 

“You can walk out of here, you are free to do so but that means our agreement is terminated.”

 

“No, I will endure this suffering.” Wendy said through her gritted teeth. Irene never failed, not even once, to get her blood boiling.

 

“Then stop complaining and this one up, you’re gonna hate the topic today.”

 

She’s complaining? How hypocritical of Irene to say that when she doesn’t do anything but complain about the government too!

 

“Para sa tatalakayin natin ngayon, same pa rin naman from last time. Ang pinagkaiba lang ngayon is bibigyang pansin natin ang mga nangungunang kapitalista sa Pilipinas na nagdudulot ng problema kaysa tumulong sa mga kapwa Pilipino.” An Irene wannabe is talking in front but the problem is, she’s not very easy on the eyes so Wendy couldn’t be bothered to stare at her. 

 

Okay, Wendy finds Irene not ugly. And what about it?

 

“Ang unang una sa listahan ay—“ The girl stopped talking for a second and Wendy looked up to see what the commotion is all about, “Ate, okay lang ba sabihin to?”

 

“Wag ka mahiya, deserve niya malaman kung anong kababuyan ginagawa ng pamilya niya.” Irene said with a venom laced tone.

 

Now she had a clue on what was happening. The girl probably didn’t want to mention Wendy’s family name in front of her. Wendy would prefer that too but Ms. Heroine at the front is going to call her a weakling or maarte if she complains again.

 

“Okay uhh sorry po agad in advanced—“

 

“Why are you saying sorry? Nag sorry pa sila for the disturbances that they’ve caused?”

 

“Right, you call it disturbances, we call it wise tactics in business.”

 

“Is it wise to kick people out of their homes for your own agenda?”

 

“They’re informal settlers! They’ll be properly compensated.”

 

“You’re going to give them money in exchange for making them homeless? Typical business minded people.” Irene cleared before turning her attention to the speaker, “Continue ka na lek.”

 

“So una po sa ating listahan ay ang mga—“ The girl cleared , “Lustre.”

 

Glad to know her family’s still No. 1 even in lists as useless as this one. Just like what her father said, “if you’re not No. 1 then what the hell are you doing?”. He didn’t specify the category though.

 

“Sila po ay kilalang makapangyarihan na pamilya at sikat sa larangan ng business. Nakapasok na rin sila sa Top 200 Forbes Billionaire of 2020 at Top 14. Mayroon silang connection din sa big tech names like Apple, Microsoft, at Amazon.” At least, the girl knew Wendy’s background.

 

Wendy raised her hand promptly, “I would just like to say one thing. We also have connections outside of America, we invested in that Kpop company, SMTOWN.” She ended with a cheeky smile.

 

Irene glanced at her with a frown, “That is not something to brag about, it’s opportunistic.” 

 

Wendy shrugged, “You call it opportunistic, I call it strategic. If we are in every market, then more chances of winning, right?” She let out a humorless laugh, “You always have something to say, Ms. Reymundo.”

 

“Dapat bang manahimik ako sa mga pinaggagagawa niyo?” Seeing as Irene’s cheeks are turning red, Wendy knew she struck a nerve.

 

“Not saying that, I’m just pointing out that every time I try to speak, you always complain or get mad.” 

 

Irene rolled her eyes and sighed out of annoyance. “Galit ako sa mundo, Lustre. Pwede bang ituloy na natin to?”

 

“You started the lengthy conversation, not me.”

 

Irene’s cheeks were puffed out with a crimson red shade tainted all over it. Her eyes were fiery, ready to burn Wendy all at once.

 

Would it be weird to say that this entertained her?

 

Wendy felt something bubble up inside her. Probably the soda she drank a while ago, she knew better than to accept beverages from people who are not, to put it nicely, in the same socio-economic position as her.

 

The girl in front scratched the back of her neck, “May memes po akong na-save dito sa ppt presentation pero skip nalang po natin, offensive po kasi.” 

 

Memes huh?

 

“No, continue. Gusto ko matawa, lek.”

 

The devil incarnate has spoken, Ms. Speaker.

 

What Wendy didn’t realize is the pictures that were supposed to be funny actually offended her in the slightest bit possible. Memes like “Ay post pala to, kala ko Sitio San Roque eh” or that Drake meme but it was her father’s face instead. 

 


 

Hindi naman siguro posible yun diba? Wendy Lustre attending an MK before? Kasi parang ganun din yung nakaaway niya nung nakaraan. Yung asungot na atenistang kay yabang. Napaismid si Irene sa naalala.

 

Binrush off agad ni Irene ang thought na iyon. Ang importante, sa ngayon, ay mapaintindi niya kay Wendy kung gaano kalaki ang contribution ng pamilya niya sa paghihirap ng mga Pilipino. Hindi na ito labanan ng ego o pride, labanan na ito ng karapatan para mamuhay.

 

Focus, Irene. Focus.

 

“Tigil na muna natin yung memes, Lek.” Tumayo si Irene at ininterrupt ang batang speaker. Hindi naman siya manhid, kitang-kita niya ang pagkabanas (at konting sakit?) sa mukha ni Wendy. Kahit gusto niyang gantihan ito sa pamamahiya niya kay Irene, hindi naman siya ganoon kasama.

 

“Okay, galing mo Lek! Bagay na bagay kang speaker, di ba guys?” Tanong ni Irene sa mga nakaupo sa harapan niya.

 

“Opo ate!”

“Mas magaling ka pa rin, Lek Irene.”

“Next time, siya ulit!”

 

Nakita niyang tumayo si Wendy at nag walk out, “Teka lang ah?”

 

Hinabol niya ang malalaking hakbang ng babae. Para sa maliit na taong katulad ni Wendy, sobrang bilis niya maglakad.

 

“Miss Lustre, saan ka pupunta?” Pagkuha niya ng atensyon ni Wendy.

 

Napahinto naman si Wendy sa kaniyang paglalakad para tumalikod at i-address si Irene nang maayos.

 

“Home.”

 

“Hindi pa tapos.”

 

Kita sa mukha ni Wendy ang pagka-inis sa pagpigil ni Irene. “The MK is done right? You’re doing the closing statement, my work here is done.”

 

“Yung deal natin hanggang sa dulo ng MK, mags-stay ka.”

 

“Why do you want me to stay so much? Don’t tell me you’ve got a crush on me already?” Pang-aasar ni Wendy sa dalaga.

 

“Lakas ng apog mo ha!” Pasigaw na sabi ni Irene, “A deal is a deal, babalik ka dun at uupo ka ulit sa silya mo or else lagi mong makikita mukha ko sa Sitio San Roque.”

 

Narinig niyang may binulong si Wendy sa sarili niya ngunit mahina ito kaya hindi niya masyadong naintindihan.

 

“Fine, have I told you how much I hate this?”

 

“Twice a day lang naman.”

 

Hindi nagtagal ay bumalik din naman si Wendy sa loob ng session hall dahil sa ayaw man o sa gusto niya, si Irene ang may upper hand sa sitwasyon ngayon. Nagbibigay ng closing statement si Irene at dinidiscuss ang future schedules ng iba pa nilang MK habang si Wendy naman ay nag s-scroll lamang sa cellphone niya.

 

“Once again, salamat sa pagdalo! Bukas ulit mga Lek, ingat kayo pag uwi.” Pamamaalam ni Irene habang malaki ang ngiti na pinapakita sa kaniyang mga kasama. 

 

Inexpect niya lang naman na aalis na si Wendy dahil uwing-uwi na siya kanina pa pero hindi niya inakala na siya pa ang huling lalabas ng hall.

 

“Kala ko ba you hate this? Bakit andito ka pa?”

 

Tumayo si Wendy sa kinauupuan niya at lumapit kay Irene. “I’m an but not as much as you. I’ve been seeing guys drool all over you outside the hall.”

 

“Men are trash at maganda ako, is that your point kasi dyan lang ako aagree.” Natatawang sabi ni Irene.

 

Nanatiling seryoso ang mukha ni Wendy kahit na patawa-tawa na lang ang babae sa harap niya. “No, don’t you have anyone to accompany you going home?”

 

“Miss Lustre, kaya ko sarili ko. At bumabait ka na ata? Nakakatulong siguro tong MK para sa attitude mo.” 

 

“That annoying little girl who talked to me back in Sitio San Roque, where is she? I think you should ask her to give you a ride home.”

 

“Walang kotse si Wheein,” sabi ni Irene na binigyang diin ang pangalan ng kaibigan. “Tsaka masyado mo kong inuunderestimate. Kaya kong mambugbog ng limang barakong lalaki.” 

 

Wag mong iisipin yung nangyari dati Irene. Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

 

Tapos na yon.

 

Pinilit iwinaksi ni Irene ang insidenteng dumaan sa utak niya. Nagflash sa isipan niya ang asul na bus na sinakyan niya noon, ang kulay kahel na upuan sa loob ng sasakyan, at ang… ang lalaking nasa gili—

 

Muntik na siya magzone-out nang marinig niya muli ang boses ng Lustre.

 

“Not with those limpy arms and small figure.”

 

Aba, talaga nga naman. “Nang iinsulto ka ba?” Depensa ni Irene. Hindi niya namalayang tuluyan nang nawala sa isip niya ang masamang memorya. Sa ngayon.

 

“Being honest is different from insulting.”

 

“Umuwi ka nalang, Miss Lustre.”

 

Nakinig naman si Wendy sa utos ni Irene. Naglakad siya papalayo habang si Irene ay natirang nagliligpit ng mga ginamit para sa MK ngayong araw. Napangiti siya sa nosyon na baka nagbabago na nga ang hambog na Lustre dahil sa deal nila, and she takes pride in it.

 

Pagkatalikod niya para sana umuwi na ay nakita niyang papalapit na ulit ang taga-pagmana ng Lustre Inc. 

 

“You know what? I’ll give you a ride home.”

 

Agad kumunot ang noo ni Irene. “Kaya ko ng—“

 

“Yeah yeah you can handle yourself but consider this as an extra reason for you to distance yourself once this MK is over.”

 

Wala namang nagawa si Irene dahil mukhang losing battle na rin kung makikipag-argue pa siya kay Wendy. At tsaka, libreng pamasahe na rin to at sa magandang kotse pa. Hihindi pa ba siya kung may ambag din naman siya sa pinambili ni Wendy ng kotse na to?

 

Tahimik lang ang car ride nila, occasional lang sila mag-usap dahil binibigyan niya ng instructions si Wendy kung paano makapunta sa apartment ni Irene. Wala ring nag-attempt mag start ng conversation sakanilang dalawa, baka mauwi nanaman sa never ending “healthy” engagement at mag-away lang sila. Wala sa plano ni Irene ang mamatay dahil sa bunguan. Hindi ito fanfic kung saan may mamatay na bida, hindi rin Western series kung saan ang lesbiyanang karakter eh mawawala na lang nang parang bula dahil sabi lang ni direk. Walang ganon sis.

 

Kita sa kotse ni Wendy na siya ay galing sa isang mayamang pamilya. Yung leather seat, comfortably adjusted pa, pati na rin yung elevated gear na may charger ports sa tabi nito. First time kasi makasakay ni Irene sa isang Lexus na kotse kaya medyo humahanga siya sa kaniyang nakikita. 

 

Ganto pala feeling kapag anak-mayaman.

 

Sana all mayaman. 

 

Ay hindi, dapat all mayaman!

 

Napatingin naman siya sa driver ng kotse. Ilang pulgada lang ang layo nila sa isa’t isa, kaya kitang-kita ni Irene ang nonexistent pores ni Wendy. Di naman talaga maipagkakaila ang kagandahan ng Lustreng iyon, aminado si Irene doon. Pero iba pa rin talaga kapag malapitan mo nang nakikita ang mukha ng isang tao eh. Dumako ang paningin ni Irene sa mapupungay na mga mata ni Wendy, sa matangos nitong ilong, mapupulang mga labi—

 

Sa sobrang pag-iisip ni Irene tungkol sa magandang m̶u̶k̶h̶a̶ kotse ni Wendy, hindi niya na namalayan na nasa tapat na pala sila ng dormitoryo niya. Kinakahiya niya pa nang kaunti dahil mukhang malapit na bumigay ang building na kaniyang tinutuluyan sa sobrang luma na nito.

 

“Here we are.” Sabi ni Wendy at itinaas ang handbrake.

 

Binuksan ni Irene ang pintuan ng kotse ni Wendy, “Salamat sa paghatid, Miss Lustre.”

 

“Whatever, just don’t get in the way of Lustre business next time.” Seryosong pagsambit ni Wendy, “And please, you make pasama to your friends the next time you go home this late.” 

 

“Di ka sure sa unang sinabi mo. At uulitin ko, kaya ko sarili ko. ‘Wag ka na mag-alala.”

 

At bago pa man makasagot si Wendy, sinara na agad ni Irene ang pinto. Hindi maipintang ngiti ang nakapaskil sa mukha niya. Dahil siguro sa magandang MK ngayong araw na to. 


 

Oo, yun lang ang dahilan.

 


 

“What has gotten into me?”

 

Wendy decided to stay inside her car for a few minutes to self-assess her actions earlier. One minute, she’s walking out of the forum, then the next, she’s offering a car ride, for free, to her worst nightmare? To the devil incarnate?

 

Is she out of her mind?

 

Not really. Maybe she just hated how those boys ogled Irene while the older woman was speaking. Even when she was just about to enter the room, she overheard someone saying that they’ll ask that woman out. Right after the discussion. She’s not that heartless, you know. Wendy doesn't know Irene that much, but from someone who takes pride in her judgement of people, she knew that the guy's an . Yep. Definitely an .

 

So she offered a ride in order for the Reymundo to dodge a bullet right then and there. On their way out of the hall, she leveled her gaze with the man, who looked like he saw a ghost when their eyes met. Wendy could've sworn that the guy wanted to pee earlier. Maybe it's because of the cold stare that Wendy exuded. Oh well, she can't help how she looks at men, anyway. The guy turned the other way as fast as humanly possible after their quick encounter. He kind of looked like a puppy with its tail in between its legs.

 

And if anything, she saved that guy from going out on a date with the devil. 

 

Yep, that’s definitely it. 

 

Add that to the fact that she firmly believes in the saying ‘keep your friends close, but your enemies closer’. If Wendy wants to devise a plan to bring down Reymundo, then she needs to know the woman; her inner workings right through her core. What motivates her, and what annoys the out of her (and it’s quite evident that Wendy is a part of the latter list). Even the toughest armor will have a chink somewhere in its joints, after all.

 

Wendy admits; Irene is one tough cookie.

 

But did Wendy also mention that she’s a baker, too?

 

“Oh, Irene. Just you wait. I’ll bake the perfect plan to take you down.” Wendy laughed.

 

Her laughter was cut off by a knock on her window.

 

“Ma’am, tawag po kayo ng daddy niyo.” It’s Yaya Delia, her nanny since diapers. 

 

These days, she rarely sees Yaya Delia since she’s busy with her duties as the heir to Lustre Inc., and also as someone who is running for presidency in their university. 

 

You could say that Yaya Delia is the parent she never had. Caring, wise, and nurturing, she’s the best nanny one could ever hope for. Wendy is truly grateful for the woman beside her.

 

She rolled her windows down, giving a clearer view of the woman than her lightly tinted window. Wendy sincerely smiled at Yaya Delia.

 

“Where po?”

 

“Sa istadi erya niya. Ay siya, kumain ka na ba? Maga-alas nuebe na ah! Ginagabi ka nang tuluyan nitong mga nakaraang araw. Ang dalang na nating magkita, ‘nak.” Wendy can see a hint of sadness in the older woman’s eyes.

 

Another thing to know about Wendy is that if Yaya Delia wasn’t present in her life, she probably wouldn’t have understood a single word from the woman’s speech. Yaya Delia was the one who taught her Filipino. She doesn’t use it frequently, all thanks to her father’s stupid rule since her childhood (Always speak in English inside this house! Understood?), which only became obsolete when her Filipino teacher called her parents because of Wendy’s difficult time in keeping up with their classes.

 

I wouldn’t understand that Reymundo girl if it wasn’t for Yaya. 

 

“Yeah, I’ll change my clothes lang po saglit then head down to his study. Thanks ‘Ya.”

 

She observed as Yaya Delia raises her hand to reach for Wendy’s face. She felt a tap on her head, her hair lightly. It was a touch that’s full of affection radiating for the older woman.

 

Yaya Delia smiled, hands retracting from Wendy’s persona. “Sige, ‘pag kailangan mo ako, alam mo naman kung saan ako hahanapin ha.”

 

Wendy watched Yaya Delia’s retreating figure. She’s only noticing it now; the once full of vigor stature of the woman was replaced by a frail one. A pang of sadness struck Wendy in the chest.

 

She reached to her cheek, feeling dampness on her face. She didn’t realize that she’s already crying from such a simple gesture from the woman who she considered as a parental figure in her life. What saddens her the most is that even her own parents can’t hold her like she’s their everything. It took other people who aren’t related to her by blood to give her the love that she longs to receive from her own parents.

 

How pathetic.

 

Wiping the tear streak from her face, she decided to push away the thoughts she deemed as unnecessary. For now, she would have to deal with something, and that something is sitting inside his study room.

 


 

After changing her clothes, she went straight into her father’s study. Wendy found herself knocking on the hardwood door of the room.

 

“Come in.” She heard her father say.

 

She took a deep breath before turning the door knob. To her surprise, her mother is also present inside the spacious study. She glanced at her mother before clearing .

 

“Yes, Pa? You called for me?”

 

Her Father sighed, “Wendy, when I ask a question you know I want an honest answer right?”

 

Wendy nods, not really knowing where the conversation will go.

 

“Saan ka nag pupupunta this past few days?” 

 

, she’s been caught?

 

“See, I don’t mind if you go to bars and clubs. You’re young, you can do whatever you want but Wendy Lustre, you have a business to fix and you’re being irresponsible.” The way her Father showed rage scared Wendy like no other. The vein on his right temple looks like it’s about five seconds before it burst and his wide eyes are a nightmare even for adults. 

 

Wendy felt small under her Father’s terrifying gaze, “Pa, I’m only doing after school wor-”

 

“Don’t give me that bull! I have lots of connections in Ateneo, Wendy, alam ko kung may binibigay na extra activities for you,” Her Father stood up from her chair, “one more lie and you’ll regret ever being born into this world.”

 

Wendy wanted to laugh.

 

How bold of him to assume that she’s not regretting her family name right at this moment? For the first time in a very long time, Wendy wanted to mock her father.

 

But it won’t help her get out of the predicament she’s in. No, not at all.

 

She’s been caught doing stuff that doesn’t fit her Father’s standard and she can always lie her way out of those. However, this one is hard, because Wendy’s 100% sure that her Father won’t believe anything she tells him unless she reveals the truth.

 

Which she won’t.

 

“Seulgi and I fought a few days ago,” Wendy came up with a half lie, “and I’ve been trying to make up with her. That’s why I was distracted, Pa, but that’s it.”

 

Saved by the bell was it?

 

Her father gestured to her that their talk was done and he has to pick up the phone. She released the breath she didn’t know she was holding in and walked out of his study.

 

Another dodged bullet right there but how many chances will she get before her father finds out everything about her affiliation with that useless organization?

 


 

Irene i-send mo na

 

Parang awa

 

Di alam ni Irene kung bakit siya kinakabahan ngayon, eh nagawa naman niya na ‘to dati. Pero sa hindi malamang dahilan, kasalukuyang sumisikdo ang dibdib niya habang ang daliri ay nakaibabaw sa send button.

 

Siguro may isang part sa kaniya na alam kung bakit nga siya kinakabahan. At iyon ay dahil sa simpleng emoji. 

 

[Irene]

Hi Wendy. Dito tayo for next ED. *pinned location* See you there. 🙂

(Message saved in drafts)

 

Ewan ba niya. Bakit ba niya iniisip ‘to masyado? Emoji lang naman eh. Napabuntong hininga si Irene sa sarili. Okay lang naman na maging civil na siya kay Wendy, hindi ba? Nakitaan naman niya ng kabutihan ang aroganteng Lustre. May pag-asa naman talagang magbago ang babae. Ang kaso lang, baka asarin siya ni Wendy sa simpleng emoji na balak niya i-send. Lahat naman kasi ng pwedeng punain, ay hinahanapan ng butas ng Lustre na ‘yon. Ang lakas ng loob na magsabing reklamador si Irene pero siya mismo sa sarili ay laging may say sa lahat ng bagay.

 

Bumalik si Irene sa convo nila ni Wendy upang burahin na ang emojing dapat ise-send. Napagpasiyahan niyang huwag na lang lagyan ng smiley face ang mensahe.

 

Pero minamalas ata siya ngayon. Hindi rin niya alam, baka bukod sa nunal niya sa pisngi ay may balat pa ata siya sa pwet.

 

Kasi, pakshet. Nagloko ang keyboard ng phone niya. Sa halip na mabura ang smiley face ay nadagdagan pa ito ng kiss emoji.

 

At dapat na niya talaga i-check ang pwet niya kung may balat nga ito, kasi sa halip na mapindot ang backspace ng keyboard ay nagloko na ang buo niyang phone, nag-lag, kaya napindot niya ang send button nito.

 

[Irene]

Hi Wendy. Dito tayo for next ED. *pinned location* See you there. 🙂😘

 

Putangi—

 

Bago pa man niya matuloy ang mura ay nangyari na ang kinaiisan niyang mangyari.

 

[Lustre]

You really have a crush on me, don’t you, Miss Reymundo?

The kiss emoji? Really?


 

Defensive mode: on

 

[Irene]

Namali lang ng emoji. Wag kang feeling. Pumunta ka na lang, Lustre.

 

Wala pang isang minuto ay nakatanggap na ulit ng reply si Irene.

 

[Lustre]

A Freudian slip, perhaps? You’re unconsciously thinking of kissing me, Miss Reymundo.

 

Aba’y putangina nga naman. Nang-aasar ba ‘to? Siyempre oo, wala na talagang ginawang matino ang mga Lustre kahit kailan. Pero sige, two can play this game, Miss Heredera, isip ni Irene.

 

[Irene]

Ah Psychoanalysis ba gusto mong pagdebatehan ngayon, Miss Lustre? Baka naman nagpro-project ka lang sa akin? Ako ata gusto mong halikan.

 

Nakataas ang kilay ni Irene na nag-aabang sa susunod na sasabihin ni Wendy.

 

[Lustre]

Nope. Anyway, I’ll be late for the next meeting. I’m campaigning for presidency in our student coordinating body. I need to take care of some stuff first.

 

Eh di wow. Lakas mang-asar kanina tapos walang masabi ngayon? Di naman affected si Irene, napansin lang naman niya ang tipid na reply. Di na niya bibigyang-pansin pa ito. Sige. Nagtipa na lang siya ng sagot sa paalam ni Wendy.

 

[Irene]

Okay. Pero bawal umabsent unless mamamatay ka na. Honor our deal, Miss Lustre.

 

*beep*

 

[Lustre]

I’m a Lustre, Miss Reymundo. That’s what we do.

 

Gusto sanang sabihin na “oo, yan at ang magnakaw ng lupa ng mahihirap at magpayaman gamit ang dugo at pawis ng mga manggagawang hindi makuha-kuha ang karapatang dapat na tinatamasa nila”. Pero kinagat muna niya ang dila niya. Civil, Irene. Civil.

 

[Irene]

Sige. See you.

 

[Lustre]

See you, Miss Reymundo. 🙂