why do you have to rain on my parade?

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚊𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚜

Yerim Lustre is the most popular kid in school. Yup, everyone knows her, or more accurately, everyone wants to be her. 

Why, you might ask? 

Well, if you have Irene Reymundo-Lustre and Wendy Lustre as your parents, then consider yourself as the luckiest person on Earth. Little Yerim knows that fact all too well, and often brags about it-- after all, having influential parents will ensure a life full of privilege that one could only hope for, like people befriending her and suitors lining up in hopes that she spares them even just a one second glance. Even most of the faculty and the dean of her school understand what the hype about Yerim Lustre is all about. 

 

She is the heir of all the Lustre's companies, after all.

 

However, not everyone knows the full story of how Yerim's two mothers met each other and became a part of the Top 200 Billionaires in the Forbes' List, or is it only her Filipino professor? Their last requirement for this subject is simple: perform a storytelling about the one thing that changed your life forever. Most of her classmates shared their stories as mundane as they can get (probably just for the sake of passing the subject)-- someone even told a story about a scar from their body and how it changed their perspective on how the world works. Getting a scar from punching someone and having your kicked in return is pretty karmic, it’s not something to boast about, much less share to the class in the form of storytelling. It’s kind of a shallow event to be a turning point of someone's life if you ask Yerim but her story is too out there, so who is she to judge? 

 

"Yerim Lustre, you're up next," said her English teacher, Ms. Ica.

 

She stood up, went to the front and center of the room and held up her paper just enough to see the words without covering her face fully, and eyed each and every single person in her class as if saying ‘ I'm about to tell the story of how my life changed, unlike you, peasants, who don’t know what the words “life-changing” even mean’.

 

"It all started when my mom met my mama and they fell in love, and they had me. Hi, I'm Yerim Lustre, and my life? It's kinda crazy...rich."


Years ago...

"ANG TAO! ANG BAYAN! NGAYON AY LUMALABAN!" 

 

"Irene! Ito ba talaga ang buhay na gusto mo? Di porket UP student ka ay dapat maging aktibista ka na! Alam mo ba nangyayari sa mga parte ng ganyang organisasyon? Dinadakip ng mga pulis at tinatawag na terorista kaya parang awa mo na, wag mo na ko bigyan ng sakit ng ulo.”

 

Nasa kalagitnaan ng protesta si Irene nang tumawag ang kaniyang butihing ina para kamustahin siya. Ang kaso lang, ay sermon ang inabot ng dalaga pagkatapos mapagtanto ng nanay niya na siya ay sumama na naman sa protesta sa may Quezon hall. 

 

Tumawa lang si Irene sa mga sinasabi ng kanyang ina at umiling.

 

 “Para po ito sa bayan, Nay.”

 

“Puro ka para sa bayan, mararanasan mo ba yung hayahay na buhay ng bayan kung ikaw naman mapagtripan ng mga pulis dyan?! Umuwi ka na sa dorm mo, ngayon na!” Halos pumutok na ang ugat sa ulo ng nanay ni Irene sa pagsigaw nito.

 

Hindi na bago ang ganitong eksena sa buhay ni Irene, simula pa lamang noong 1st year niya sa kolehiyo ay na-develop na ang kaniyang interes sa pakikibaka. Bukod sa pagiging Comm Arts student ay isa rin siyang miyembro ng Anakbayan, kung saan nabuksan ang kaniyang mata sa mga karumaldumal na nangyayari sa paligid niya. Pinilit niyang itago sa mga magulang niya ito dahil sigurado siyang hindi ikatutuwa ng nanay niya na sumasali siya sa mga ganitong organisasyon, at lalo na ang tatay niyang walang ginawa kung hindi punahin ang bawat galaw niya. Di rin siya makaliligtas sa mga salitang lalabas sa tito at tita niyang avid supporters ng Presidente. Pamilya niya kasi yung typical Filipino family━ hihilahin ka pababa at iinsultuhin ka pero ipagsisigawan sa buong barangay yung achievements mo kahit wala naman silang inambag bukod sa paninira ng pagkatao mo. 

 

Ambag nga ba yon? Isip niya sa sarili.

 

“WAG MASHOKOT! MAKI-BEKI!” Saglit na na-distract si Irene sa pag-iisip nang marinig ang sigaw ng kaniyang katabi.

 

Pero kahit ano pa mang sabihin ng nanay ni Irene sa kaniya, ay hinding-hindi siya aalis sa Anakbayan dahil gusto niyang makatulong sa mga taong tinatanggalan ng boses ng gobyerno at pinapatahimik gamit ang kanilang kapangyarihan. Naniniwala si Irene sa kasabihang “pag namulat ka na sa katotohanan, kasalanan na ang pumikit” at ayun ang nagiging inspirasyon niya upang bumangon at mag-aral nang mabuti. Masiyado mang mataas ang pangarap niya, ang baguhin kung ano ang nakasanayan sa Pilipinas, ngunit malaki rin ang kaniyang tiwala sa sarili at sa mga kapwa mamamayang Pilipino, kaya kakayanin niya ang lahat matupad lamang ang pangarap niya.

 

“Para maglahad ng kanyang saloobin, i-welcome natin si lek Irene Reymundo.” Pagka tawag sa kaniyang pangalan, lahat ng dumalo sa rally ay nagsipalakpakan. Pumwesto siya sa gitna ng makeshift platform nila at kinuha ang mic sa MC.

 

“Magandang hapon mga pag-asa at iskolar ng bayan!” Simula niya sa kaniyang speech.


On the other side of the rally stood a Thomasian named Kang Seulgi . She wasn't supposed to be here, or else she'll be disowned faster than a blink of an eye. Her university has a strict policy on joining rallies and National Mass Democratic Organizations like Anakbayan, something about protecting the image of the school and seeing the protesters as rebels against the government is not a great image to a catholic school as famous as UST. Despite this, she decided to skip her afternoon classes to join her friend in this mass protest, just for experience. Admittedly, she doesn't have a lot of knowledge on rallies and mass gatherings or the government itself, plus she only joined her friend in hopes of finding hot girls and asking them out. Perhaps, her type's an Iska who can fight for the country while dominating her life?

 

"Seul, dun tayo, may nagsasalita eh," the call of her friend pulled her out of her thoughts. With no other choice, Seulgi followed her like a lost puppy.

 

A really cute lost puppy.

 

As they were nearing the platform, she lifted her head up and saw a very beautiful girl delivering a speech on the stage. 

 

Hala. She looks like a million bucks wearing that plain white shirt and blue washed up jeans, an old converse, with her bespectacled face of round glasses.

I think I just found my girl. She thought to herself.


Seulgi might've found the ride from España to Diliman inconvenient-- the van that they rode had a broken air condition, and the times when she dropped her metal water bottle, making it hit the floor with a loud noise, made her more irritable for the rest of the ride. However, seeing the speaker from Anakbayan made everything worth it. She hates bragging but she never had any girl turn down her advances; they always flirt back and bite into the trap that she set up for them. It's part of her charm and it's innate so she can't really do anything but take advantage of it. 

"Ssob 'gang anong oras ba to? May after party ba?" Seulgi asked her friend who was busy chatting up with her "lek".

 

"Bored ka na ba? Walang after party to tanga, halatang inom na inom ka ah," her friend answered, teasing Seulgi.

 

No after parties? How can I talk to her then? Find a way, Seul, wag mo hayaang makawala si Ate Chix. 

 

After some time, the crowd dispersed and left one by one after wrapping up the program. Seulgi's still busy trying to find a way to the pretty girl, but everytime she comes up with a plan, she immediately dismisses it since it makes her look like a stalker. 

 

Kang Seulgi is a lot of things but quitter and a coward are not part of those. If she spots the girl then she'll make her move without thinking twice. She'll ask for her name and number while throwing a few pick up lines here and there to seal the deal. Coming from a catholic school, it is pretty ironic that Seulgi's not a very religious girl, save for a few times in her life where she prays, either to pass her exams, or to get something from someone. This event is no exception; she prayed and prayed that someone up there grants her wish of bumping into the white tee girl so she can make her move.

 

Pretty sure Seulgi forgot that she's in a public place and her praying position is a bit...awkward? She looked like she's suffering from dysmenorrhea or diarrhea (although a combination of both can be a choice too).

 

"Miss, ayos ka lang ba?"

 

Seulgi doesn't know how to react-- sinagot ni Lord yung prayers niya! She made a mental note to thank Jesus later for this. 

 

"Gusto mo bang magpadala sa infirmary?" Seulgi shook her head and stood up rather quickly that her eyesight blackened for a few seconds. 

 

Punyetang iron deficiency 'to.

 

"Ah hindi na po, ayos lang po ko. Ikaw ba?" She felt embarrassed, this is not how her move was supposed to go and she never embarrasses herself in front of pretty girls, so what makes this white tee girl an exception?


"Okay lang naman lek, mukha ka kasing constipated tapos wala ka atang kasama. Sure ka ayos ka lang ah?"

 

Pagkarinig na pagkarinig ni Seulgi ng sinabi ni ate girl, bigla siyang namula. Tangina mukha pala kong constipated, Lord magpapasalamat pa ba ko? Napahiya na ko eh .

 

Tumawa si Seulgi na para bang nahihiya. “Nagdadasal lang, thomasian things. Galing mo sa speech mo kanina, first time ko makinig sa isang speaker." 

 

"Salamat, first time mo bang umattend ng mass organization?" Tanong ni Irene
 

"Oo, dinamayan ko lang yung tropa ko kasi nagpapasama," Seulgi answered. "May gagawin ka pa ba? Baka ano, pwede kitang maaya mag Jollibee? Nakakapagod din kasi magsalita eh. My treat." 

 

Buong buhay ni Irene, never naman siyang nagkaila na marami siyang manliligaw. Sa Batangas palang, mahaba na ang pila ng mga lalaking gustong mapasagot siya, tipong magdadala pa sila ng kung anu-ano para papasukin sa bahay at i-entertain ng kaniyang pamilya ngunit ni-isa sa mga manliligaw niya ay hindi makuha ang atensyon niya. Hindi kasi ka-level ni Irene ang intellectual capacity nila kaya most of the time, nadidisappoint lang siya sa mga nakakausap niyang lalaki. Bilang isang miyembro na rin ng isang organisasyon na pinaglalaban ang karapatan ng lahat, hindi rin naman siya nagugulat sa mga babae na may kasintahang babae o lalaki na may jowang lalaki. Lagi rin naman siyang chinachat ng mga babaeng parte ng LGBTQ+ at inaaya siya makipag-date pero kahit ganoon, isinasantabi muna ni Irene ang love life, kaya hindi niya ito napagtutuonan ng pansin. Wala talaga muna sa isip niya ang magjowa. Pero may time naman siyang magpalibre ng Jollibee, ang kaso lang ay-- 

 

"May gagawin pa ko pagkatapos nito eh pero kung gusto mo, may mass orye kami sa Thursday dito lang din naman. 3pm kung interesado ka." 


Without thinking twice, Seulgi agreed. She watched as white tee girl walked away from her after giving her a small smile and mentally face palmed herself for not asking her name. 

 

I guess sa pagpunta ko nalang sa mass orye ko malalaman yung pangalan niya.

 

Kang Seulgi never backs down from a challenge, and that girl is a challenge that she would like to conquer.


[Seul 🐻🐯]:

Wends, free ka ba mamaya? 3pm?

Nasa may Diliman ako papasama lang sana sayo, nakakahiya mag isa eh

 

[Wendy the conyo 🐿🦅]:

Bro 3pm?

I’m not sure man, I have PE ata that time if my prof makes pasok the last subject

He’s pretty tamad when it comes to our block

 

[Seul 🐻🐯]:

Di na siguro ko masasanay sa kaconyohan mo pota

Wala ba kayong traditional dinner kasama si Tito and Tita?

 

[Wendy the conyo 🐿🦅]:

Not that I know of pare

Why ba? What's with Diliman?

New chix mo ba yan? 

You're such a fuccboi bro

 

[Seul 🐻🐯]:

Gago pre pag nakita mo to, sure ako mattypan mo rin

Sobrang chix bro, nakita ko siya nung Saturday

It's been 5 days, I'm deprived na rin

 

[Wendy the conyo 🐿🦅]:

I asked my classmates, we don't have P.E

I'll pick you up sa UST or you'll go here nalang?

 

[Seul 🐻🐯]:

Sundo syempre

 

[Wendy the conyo 🐿🦅]:

Alright, I'll see you later man

 

A fact about Seulgi and Wendy is that they've been inseparable since grade school. Seulgi's dad used to work for Wendy's dad before he started his own company and became an independent businessman, and of course, he credited Wendy's dad for teaching him the knots and bolts of the business industry. The two families are so close that every other year, they spend the holidays together. Seulgi and Wendy even have an inside joke that their parents will set them up with each other to keep their empires between the two powerful families only but it is nearly impossible. Wendy's family is not that accepting of the LGBTQ+ community, especially Wendy's dad, which surprised Seulgi when Wendy was so accepting the day she came out to her. She even made a joke that in an alternate universe, they would be dating and not living such a prominent life. 

 

Seulgi's lucky enough to have lenient parents who didn’t force her to take a business related course and to pursue what she really wants, unlike other people who have businessmen as parents that often dictate their child’s life, including the program that their children would take in college. 

 

As Wendy's bestfriend and ride or die, Seulgi knows how much Wendy hates her status in life no matter how wealthy she is. It's understandable because her bestfriend’s every move is scrutinized by the public eye and everything she shows must be nothing but perfection. Her ideals and goals must be connected to her family's business, that’s why despite being passionate about singing, Wendy chose to follow her father's footsteps and take on his position as CEO once he retires. Seulgi even advised Wendy to stand up to her father and tell him that what she wants is to be a known singer and not a businesswoman, but Wendy's not as brave as Seulgi put her out to be-- she's a coward and she’s afraid that she might stay like that forever.

 

At exactly 2:30 pm, Seulgi saw a black Mercedez-Benz E-class sedan pulling up outside of the P. Noval gate. Everyone around her can't tear their eyes away from the shiny vehicle but she only rolled her eyes since this is an everyday thing for Wendy. Seulgi owns a lot of cars but can never outnumber Wendy's (the latter’s personal garage could pass as either an auto show event or a luxurious car shop).

 

"Pa show off ka masyado sa mga taga España, sana yung Honda civic na lang dinala mo," Seulgi said as she climbed inside Wendy's car.

 

"I scrapped my civic already, not really worth my money,"  Wendy deadpanned.

 

"Gago, you just bought that last year tapos tinapon mo agad? Kakaiba ka talaga, Lustre."

 

Wendy only shook her head and then gave her go signal to the driver that they can start driving now. Seulgi's used to Wendy's quietness by now; her bestfriend's really not much of a talker. She got that trait from her father, intimidating and a man of a few words just like how Wendy is. Save for some occasions wherein Wendy is the most talkative, like when she's telling a story about going inside a karaoke and singing her heart out and then her voice cracked because was tired from the belting of high notes, or when she adopted Cooper, a brown silky terrier. She has her moments, but most of the time she'd rather be left alone than go out and associate herself with the high class pretentious people who kiss Wendy's dad's in hopes of getting a promotion or getting that partnership with their respective companies. It's too much energy even for Seulgi to fake a smile and entertain the guests in their annual ball or other rich people parties, honestly she can't even keep track of the number of parties that the two families throw every year. It must be around 7-12 parties in a year, company parties are not included.

 

"So this thing in Diliman, what's it about?" Wendy asked the half asleep Seulgi beside her.

 

"Honestly, di ko rin alam, napa-oo nalang ako bigla kasi inaya niya ko eh." 

 

Wendy scoffed, loud enough for the other girl to hear. Seulgi knew right there and then that her bestfriend thinks she's the most ridiculous person to walk the earth. She avoided her gaze from meeting the smaller girl’s speculative eyes.

 

"Seriously? Seul, what if this is a meeting for NPA recruitments pala. I can't have the public seeing me in things like this." 

 

"Pare alam ko yon, safe to promise. Tsaka dala mo naman yung magical cap mo diba? Safe ka dyan, mag casual wear ka nalang. Palitan mo na yang long sleeves mo, para kang Senador eh." Seulgi tried to crack a joke to make the atmosphere lighter, keyword: tried, and it failed.

 

"Full of jokes pa rin Kang? If my dad finds out about this, I'm dragging you to the grave with me." 

 

"Til death do us part then, we're in this bestfriend for life pre. Di mo na ko matatakasan." 

 

Before they knew it, they're inside the UP campus and on their way to Quezon hall where the said orye will take place. Wendy feels a little off, simply because her father always expressed his repugnance with the university. According to him, this university breeds rebels and NPA members and it's not doing any good to the country. Since he is one of the biggest contributor to the country's economy and a big supporter of the government, he's always against people who are trying to call out the government for their lack of response to other important issues. Still, Wendy remains neutral in terms of politics, she reminded herself that her life is okay and she does not need more problems than what she has now. 

 

"Bro, isuot mo na yung disguise mo tas araters na." Seulgi snapped out Wendy from her thoughts.

 

"Araters? What does that mean?" Wendy raised one of her brow.

 

"Ay sobrang rich kid mo naman, araters meaning non tara na binaliktad tas pinacool." Seulgi explained.

 

"You use that word for real? You should've enrolled with me sa Ateneo instead, we don't use weird words like that." Wendy bragged.

 

"Baka nakakalimutan mong ginamit mo yung carps sakin nung inaya mo ko mag Starbucks,” Seulgi reminded Wendy with a scoff. It was only a one-time thing, but it will still help Seulgi in raising her point, which is that Wendy is not above using such “weird” slangs. “Ano, huli ka." Wendy just rolled her eyes at Seulgi’s remark.

 

After teasing each other for a good minute, they finally reached the small group of people sitting in a circle. Everyone seemed to be minding their own business except for the mestiza girl who's setting up her laptop and making small talks with the newcomers. Wendy can feel Seulgi radiating happiness beside her and she wasn't wrong when she glanced at the girl beside her. 

 

Man, my bestfriend's willing to go through this boring orientation just to ask a girl out?

 

"That's her bro," Seulgi pointed her finger towards the girl in front, the one who could win an award for Ms. Congeniality in a pageant for being so friendly with strangers.

 

Whatever happens in this orientation, Wendy must keep herself in check. She should keep a low profile and be invisible to others or else she'll suffer major consequences from her Father. She'd rather die than bring shame to her family name. 

 

She took out her phone and scrolled through various social media applications but there was nothing interesting given that it's 3pm and every student is either busy or taking a nap, just like what she should be doing instead of agreeing to accompany her pain-in-the- best friend. She forgot to mention how ing hot the weather is right now and they're outside, under the blazing heat. 

 

Don't they have any air conditioned rooms for this orientation? Is UP really that poor?

 

"Good afternoon guys, kumpleto na ba tayo?" The unnamed girl asked the small crowd.

 

Everyone participated in the brief question and answer portion led by the host, everyone except Wendy who's busying herself by insulting the university introspectively. There are some cars passing by, but not the cars that she's used to driving (because apparently, if you're a Lustre, you won't drive a ing beat up Toyota Corolla that's years older than your Grandma). 

 

 The orientation went by smoothly, partly because the host who introduced herself as Irene was a great speaker. Wendy may not show it on the outside but she was listening attentively to what Irene's talking about-- well, probably not everything cause she's still complaining in her mind about the weather and the lack of breeze she's getting from sitting under the sun. She did pick up a few information like Anakbayan is a mass organization and they collaborate with other NDMO's to hold mass gatherings and fight for what is right. Wendy thought it was ridiculous because every Filipino has their rights, so what more could these protesters want? A position in the government? Attention from the media? 

 

Maybe the N in NDMOs stands for Narcissism. She chuckled at the thought. They may get the attention they’re desperately seeking for, but a position in the government? That seems unlikely if all they do is protest and cut classes instead of attending them.

 

Everything was going as planned; she was being lowkey and she wasn’t causing any scene. That was until Irene mentioned Wendy's family name. She snapped her eyes to look at the laptop screen and saw how her family was labeled as ‘Ang mga oportunistang kapitalista na dapat pabagsakin’. She felt her blood boil at the thought of this speaker.

 

This is defamation of character, right?! She's spitting lies and she's getting away with it. , should I step in? Can she shut up about my family, oh God. 

 

Wendy clenched her jaw. Her thoughts are all over the place. She can hear Seulgi muttering some words to her, but she can’t seem to comprehend what her bestfriend was saying to her. She tried to calm herself down by taking deep breaths.

 

"The Lustres, kilala niyo naman siguro sila diba? Mga bloodsucking leeches na yumaman dahil sa pag eexploit ng employees nila tapos hindi pa fair yung sweldo ng mga manggagawa nila. Sila ang definition ng oportunista, kumbaga pag may nakita silang opportunity na magpakita ng fake kindness ay itatake nila yun para makuha kung ano yung pakay nila which is the land na tinitirhan ng mga tao lalo na yung mga mahihirap." 

 

Wendy had enough. She can feel her heartbeat as she raises a hand to call the speaker’s attention.

 

"Excuse me," Wendy started. "How can you call them evil if what they're doing is helping the economy of the Philippines? I mean, it's a well-known fact that they're the biggest contributor right now in the Philippine economy so can you enlighten me on how they can be ‘oportunista’ as you'd like to call it." 

 

Seulgi looked at her with wide eyes; she knows that Wendy never speaks in a condescending way towards the people she just met. She's usually calm and composed, never letting her emotions get the best of her so this is a first for Seulgi. She's torn between pulling Wendy down or just letting the confrontation unfold before her eyes. Of course, Seulgi being Seulgi, chose the latter option. 

 

"Bakit parang galit ka lek? Pero sige to answer your question, the reason why I think they're evil is because they turn lands into subdivisions; imbis na makatulong pa sa mga magsasaka na gamitin yung mga lupa para sa hanapbuhay nila, eh nawala pa dahil sa mga land grabbers na Lustre na yan. Tapos may issue sila dati diba? Contractual lang yung mga employees nila, isipin mo wala silang awa. Ang hirap kaya gumising araw-araw tapos itatanong mo sa sarili mo kung may trabaho ka pa bang mapapasukan at ganun itrato ng mga Lustre ang empleyado nila. Did I answer your question?" Irene finished with a y look on her face; hindi kasi siya sanay na sinusungitan siya for no reason.

 

"You did, but you did not state the facts. The reason why some employees are contractual is because they're still on probation. It wasn't even true when the media said that the majority of the employees are contractual, from what I know only 6% of their employees are on contractualization and on the process of being regularized. For the land grabbing thing, how sure can you be that the land is ideal for farming? Is the soil fat enough for the plant to grow? Don't you think the Lustres researched and inspected the land first before buying it? They are not as heartless as you think, Ms. Speaker." 

 

All eyes are on her. Wendy composed herself after airing her sentiments about the current situation of their business. She is aware of how the media is portraying her family and their empire. They were even named as ‘Land-grabbing Lustres’ by netizens. She was never really bothered about the names, or how they were portrayed as an evil corporation which threatens the lives of millions of Filipinos. No; she simply does not care about the opinions of other people about her and her family. She knows what’s happening behind closed doors, and they do not.

 

But why am I getting riled up when the accusations came from the mouth of this woman?  


Bumuntong-hininga si Irene bago sagutin ang tanong, "There are documents that can prove na hindi lang 6% ang contractual sa Lustre companies, in fact more than 25% nga yung nakasulat dun, ah. At kahit pa ipilit mo na 6% lang ang contractual, does that make it okay? Na may contractual pa rin? Kung on the process of being regularized na nga, bakit ang bagal? A big shot like Mr. Lustre? Kayang-kaya niya gawin yun in just a snap of his fingers. Alam mo, you just proved to me na pag mayaman, out of touch sa reality.” Huminto saglit si Irene upang ikalma ang sarili.

 

“Kaibigan mo ba yung anak ng Lustre kaya ganyan mo sila ipagtanggol? Sana buksan mo rin mata mo lek, kasi hindi lang naman sarili nating interes dapat nating ipaglaban-- maraming naaapi at nahihirapan dahil sa mga kapitalistang walang ginawa kung hindi pahirapan ang mga nagtatrabaho para sa kanila.” Kaniyang pagpatuloy sa saglit na naudlot na sagot.

 

Nagtitigan ang dalawa na para bang sila lamang ang nasa lugar. May narinig na tumikhim si Irene nang makalipas ang limang segundong katahimikan. Napagpasiyahan niyang huminto na muna sa ngayon.

 

“If you don’t have any more questions, you may all be dismissed. Salamat sa pakikinig." Naghintay saglit si Irene ng karagdagang mga tanong, ngunit nang wala nang umimik ay nagpaalam na lamang siyang tuluyan. Unti-unting umalis ang mga tao, maliban sa iilang miyembro.

 

Tumalikod na siya para ayusin ang mga ginamit para sa munting orye at ED na naganap. Inaalala ni Irene kung paano i-clench ng babae ang kaniyang kamao kanina. Halata sa reaksyon nito na na-offend siya sa sinabi ni Irene ngunit yoon naman talaga ang totoo. Malaking pahirap sa mga Pilipino ang pamilyang Lustre kaya bakit niya pa ititikom ang bibig niya? Kung itong isang Atenista (base sa suot niyang shirt) na ito ay bulag sa katotohanan, paano pa kaya ang milyun-milyong Pilipino na niloloko at pinapa-ikot ng mga taong makapangyarihan. 

 

Naramdaman ni Irene na may taong papalapit sa kaniya ngunit hindi na niya kailangan tumalikod para malaman kung sino ito. Obvious naman na yung Atenista lang naman ang may pakay sa kaniya.

 

Nakaramdam siya ng tapik sa kaniyang likod. Natural ay nilingon niya ito. Tama siya, ito nga yung Atenistang nakipag-debate sa kaniya.

 

Pero bakit parang pamilyar to? Kumunot ang noo ni Irene, tila inaalala kung sino ang tao sa harap niya nang makita ang mukha nito sa ilalim ng suot niyang blue cap.


 

Wendy didn’t bother rebutting the woman’s ‘facts’. Instead, she decided to wait until the event was over. Maybe in private, she can confront the woman, just to clear the air. She might even apologize, because even she herself was surprised by her ‘sudden’ ‘outburst’ earlier. She might not care about other people’s opinions on her life, but she still considers herself as a decent person. However, that apology will have to wait until the woman before her decides to snap out of her thoughts. Wendy can literally see the lines on Irene’s forehead, as if the woman is solving a very complicated math problem.

 

A few seconds passed, and Wendy almost laughed at the face of the woman before her. How can she not, when the latter’s eyes grew as wide as the Great Wall of China. Okay, maybe she was exaggerating when she said that; but the scene was comical, and that, she is sure of.

 

Some realization dawned on the girl before her, and something hit her too.

 

, she might have recognized me already. 

 

Panic settled into the pit of her stomach. Without thinking any further, Wendy lowered her head to avoid meeting the girl’s gaze. She was about to turn around to leave when she heard Irene scream.

 

“Wendy Lustre?!” 

 

me. My dad's going to kill me.