there'll be a riot, cause i know you

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚊𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚜

❗️Work of fiction. The situation of San Roque in the ff does not reflect the situation in real life.❗️


 

[1 new message]

 

“Ay, wait lang Joy.” 

 

Seulgi immediately opened her phone after earning a nod from the woman she’s with. They’re out for a spontaneous movie date, courtesy of Joy’s boredom. 

 

If you’d ask Seulgi if what’s the deal between the two of them, you’ll only earn an eye smile from her. Because instead of answering you, she would be reliving their kiss.

 

Yes folks, they already kissed. 

 

Earlier

 

“Seul,” she heard Joy call out to her inside the darkened movie theater. She can also hear the cheesy lines that the protagonist was telling to her leading woman. They’re watching a coming of age film about two lesbian teenagers falling in love in the right place, at the right time. Basically a feel good movie, which is rare, considering it’s always a tragic storyline if any wlw is involved in the mainstream media.

 

Seulgi snapped out of musings when she felt Joy’s hand creep on her right leg.

 

OH.

 

She can feel the slender fingers making their way across her lap, gently leaving pressure on the path which is the soft skin of Seulgi’s legs. Seulgi thought it was a good idea to wear shorts earlier, since it was a relatively humid day. Now, she thinks otherwise. She guesses.

 

Seulgi unconsciously bit her lip, heart pounding on what’s to come. She’s seen enough movies to know where this is going. Meanwhile, Joy’s hand is still spreading warmth across Seulgi’s body, all the way to the pink of her cheeks.

 

And then, there was coldness.

 

Joy’s hand was nowhere to be found. Seulgi turned around to see Joy reaching for her right hand.

 

Oh.

 

She can see Joy’s eyes illuminated by the soft glow from the movie screen, staring right into hers while intertwining their hands together. And that’s when Seulgi knew. 

 

Joy leaned in for the kiss, Seulgi anticipated. She closed her eyes, waiting for the moment to come.

 

Was it love? Not yet. Fondness? Maybe. Just a desire for company? Most probably.

 

But Seulgi wasn’t one to complain. 

 

Her senses were tingling, it’s like all of the stimuli around her were muted, but at the same time, amplified. Before she can even further think, soft lips crashed into her. Joy squeezed her hand, albeit unknowingly, making her smile into the kiss.

 

They separated from each other, a few seconds later. Eyes slowly opening, just like how their hearts are steadily gravitating towards one another.


 

They laughed when they turned their heads to the screen, as they’ve just kissed, the same moment as the young couple featured on the massive projection.

 

So, yes, they kissed. And cheesily, at that.

 

PRESENT

 

[Madam Irene]

Good day, last MK for the month this 17th. Need to attend because may isasabay na planning para sa susunod na mass integration. I texted you to inform na baka nandon ex mo.

 

Seulgi knitted her eyebrows. Ex? Wha- ah, Wendy. Of course. She forgot that Irene still believes that white lie. 

 

She typed a response before pocketing her phone to get back to her date.

 

[Seulgi]

G lang, punta ako :)

 


 

According to a good friend slash political rival of hers, Jennie Ko, election results will be released today. She got so caught up with what’s happening in Sitio San Roque and that rat-infested activist group that she barely had any time to breathe and think about other things. Cutting class is not something she would condone but today, she felt like taking time off school and having a breather inside her four-cornered room. Wendy never had a problem catching up with schoolworks, her Father would literally disown her. Not even kidding. That’s how her father scares her if she fails any of her classes, especially in Mathematics.

 

So now she is situated in her room with her laptop, refreshing her university’s site because of her impatient self. How long does it take to announce the new President of the Central Student Government? Definitely won’t take more than 10 minutes or more, that’s for sure. It’s a simple Congratulations, Wendy Lustre or—wait, no. There should be no or. She has to win.

 

[1 new notification]

 

The heavens above must have noticed her patience wearing thin and just decided to spare her laptop that she’s planning on throwing against the wall.

 

Failure will never be an option for a Lustre.

 

Good Evening, Ateneans!

Here is the list of your new Central Student Government officials. Let’s congratulate and wish them a prosperous year! May God bless them with wisdom as they lead the—

 

Scratch that, she doesn’t have the time to read through the congratulatory yet empty words from whoever posted that article.

 

Her eyes went straight downwards to the official list of newly elected officers. As soon as her vision landed on the first name at the top, she let out a deep breath that she didn’t know she was holding in.

 

Wendy Lustre - President

 

Nothing else mattered to her as long as she remained at the top. Not even who her Vice President’s going to be, it’s probably her running mate or Jennie’s, but it doesn’t matter. She won, another achievement to make her father proud. 

 

Without putting any thought into it, her hand unintentionally pressed a number on her phone. The heiress was unaware of who she’s dialing due to the adrenaline that overcame her senses. She snapped back into reality when she heard the voice on the other end of the line.

 

“Hello?”

 

However, before she could even acknowledge the person she accidentally called, Yaya Delia knocked on her door. 

 

“Anak, yung mama at papa mo kararating lang. Dinner na raw kayo.” Yaya Delia said in a motherly way. Wendy smiled at her and nodded. Time to deliver the good news to her Father, then.

 

“Good Evening Pa, Ma!” She gleefully greeted her parents while descending down the stairs. Every household staff made a beeline from the front door to the living room, something her father taught them in order to show respect for the house owner.

 

Her mother was the first to notice Wendy, “Good evening, anak. How was school?”

 

She may have forgotten to tell her mother that she planned on skipping school today to focus on a more pressing matter. How to bring Irene Reymundo down 101. The 101 is a nice touch for her evil plan, at least that’s what the cartoons showed her when she was young.

 

“About that,” she breathes out, “I skipped school today.” 

 

That caught her Father’s attention.

 

“You what?” His voice, despite being calm and composed, was scary as hell for his only daughter. It made Wendy’s neck hair stand up. 

 

“I was tired Pa, I was hoping I could get some rest today.”

 

“School is school, Seungwan!” He raised his voice ever so lightly. Still a sinister tone for Wendy. “I get tired of work, too, but do you see me taking a break?”

 

“No.” She muttered.

 

“Manang, can you get me my reading glasses.” The attention was briefly directed to one of their helpers but Wendy knows this is not the end of her Father’s lecture. How dumb of her to not inform her mother about today.

 

Wendy’s mother prompted her to follow the both of them to the dining hall where they will be having a traditional dinner together once every week. She’d rather eat alone than face the wrath of her father but there’s no escape plan for her—it’s too late. 

 

After serving the food on the table, her father started scrolling through his phone. A post catching his eye. “So, the list of the new student government is released. Am I going to be happy with the result or do I have to send someone there for a recount?”

 

This is the moment she’s waiting for. With a wide smile, she answered. “No need for that, Pa,” she paused, trying to suppress her giddiness. Years of trying to gain her father’s approval led up to this moment. A moment wherein she can finally see her father genuinely smile at her, instead of the usual nod of approval with a pursed lip. She continued, despite herself. “Because I won the election.”

 

Her mother’s reaction was expected. A clap with a softening expression on her face while she smiles proudly at her unica hija, exclaiming a “congratulations!”

 

Her father, on the other hand, remained expressionless. For a second, Wendy thought her father did not hear what she just announced in front of the two; however, his eyes showed her that he did but it’s not something to be joyous about. 

 

“Okay, as you should. Akala ko I have to talk to one of my kumpadres pa to change the election results eh.” CEO Lustre jest but Wendy’s not in the mood to laugh, especially at her father’s lack of faith in her. 

 

Instead of a smile, she received the usual nod. She unconsciously stared at the man as he took a bite out of his dinner.

 

Wendy wanted to laugh at herself, for not seeing that one coming. How foolish of her to expect anything out of her father. 

 

But she can’t; she can only hear her heart crack into pieces. Which she needed to pull back together as soon as possible, right at that instant, just to get through the wretched family dinner.

 

She took a quiet, shaky breath before taking a sip of water.

 

“Now onto the important part of this dinner,” And as much as Wendy wanted to get out of this, she couldn’t because it concerns her and her chance to prove herself to the company’s board and the CEO himself. “How close are you in closing the deal for Sitio San Roque?”

 

If she’s being honest, she has no idea. It’s been days since she last visited the place, putting the plan under Jaehyun Lee’s care. Does she trust him? Definitely not but it’s either that or a loud, annoying group protesting outside the area with a bunch of commoners who have nothing to do than ruin a perfectly devised plan. 

 

“On the way.” She simply replied.

 

Her father wasn’t happy with her choice of words. She’s disappointed her father twice tonight, that should be a world record already if they won’t count the past few weeks. 

 

“Still? Maybe I haven’t made myself clear, we need that area and I don’t plan on losing it to our number one competitor in the market. Understood?” His aura exudes authority that makes everyone follow whatever he commands them to do, even Wendy. 

 

“Yes, Pa.” 

 

“I need actions and progress, not a simple yes.” He clicked his tongue before he stood up, her mother following him like a lost puppy.

 

Dinner ended and Wendy sat still, absorbing what just happened and why is she still bothered by her father’s reaction or lack thereof. Wendy thought she was used to it by now, it did not faze her before so why did it happen again? 

 

A soft touch was felt on her right shoulder, Yaya Delia. Wendy knows her all too well.

 

“Anak, proud ako sayo. Ang galing galing mo talaga.” With the way Yaya Delia’s eyes shined and her comforting smile, Wendy succumbed into the hug she was pulled in. A tear escaping her eyes.

 

Right then and there, Wendy knew she had to take both matters into her own hands. 

 

Or maybe only one, the plan that needs urgency.

 

Irene Reymundo can wait.

 


 

[Jaehyun Lee]

You are needed in Sitio San Roque. The owner of the land will visit today.

 

[Wendy Lustre]

I’ll be there.

 

It took at least an hour for her to get everything read; herself, the car, and her late lunch. With her hair down, plain brown sweatshirt, blue washed jeans, and a sling bag to complete the look. Simplicity will be the way to persuade the lot owners for the lot title. Another achievement for her to brag about to her father. And mayhaps, Irene Reymundo.

 

“Yaya, I’ll be going out na po!” She yells at the empty living room. She receives a muffled ingat then she heads to the door.

 

Something to look forward to is the 5th day of this whole MK bull she’s attending. After that, she’ll be Irene-free.

 

On the way to Sitio San Roque, Clouds by her favorite band, Any Name’s Okay, plays on the car radio. Only her best friend knows this fact but she is the biggest fan of this song. Albeit never feeling the rush of falling in love and pursuing someone (or being pursued) but listening to songs like these makes her feel enough. Love is not always the reason for every whys and she’s been repeating that phrase ever since she’s a kid. No one will ever change that.

 

After 20 minutes, she finally arrived at her destination. Finding a parking spot is a big hassle and she hates parallel parking but she’ll deal with what she has. This meeting will wrap up quickly anyway.

 


 

She couldn’t be more wrong in her whole life. It’s been 2 hours and the owner just arrived. Wendy has been sending pointed looks at Jaehyun’s way but the boy was oblivious to it, mistaking it as flirting. Oh, how interesting it is to see men ignore a woman’s body language to satisfy his own fantasy. If Wendy could just grip his bal—

 

“Miss Lustre,” The owner snaps her out of her thoughts, “As I was saying, the title will take 2-3 months to get but you can start demolishing the place within a month. Given that you have the necessary papers to start building.”

 

“No worries Sir, we are right on that.” Wendy says, shaking his hand firmly.

 

“Well, now that that’s wrapped up. How about we get some dinner?” Jaehyun invites everyone but only stares at a certain girl. Wendy had to fight the urge to roll her eyes at him.

 

“I would lov—“ Her phone buzzes, cutting her off mid-sentence. “Sorry, I have to take this. Excuse me.”

 

Irene Calling…

 

“Hello?” 

 

“Baka nakakalimutan mo, Lustre, may deal tayo. Asan ka na?”

 

“I’m stuck in a meeting.” Wendy looks around the area, looking for a spy that her father must have sent to flow her.

 

Wendy can hear Irene’s annoyance through the phone. “More important than this one? Bayan o business.”

 

“What the even is that question?” Wendy incredulously retorts, “I’ll be there in 20.”

 

“30 minutes late ka na, mahiya ka naman sa mga naghihintay, ano po?” 

 

“I can’t just get out of this meeting, Reymundo.” Wendy says stoically.

 

“Either you find a way or the deal is off.” Irene replies, “Choice is yours.” Then she hangs up.

 

One look at Jaehyun, he immediately understood what Wendy’s trying to do but he tried to stop her. Unfortunately, Wendy can’t be stopped unless she gives up her pride and dignity. There is no way she’ll let Irene win against her in this universe, or in any universe for that matter.

 

“Sorry for the inconvenience but I have to go.” She hurriedly says, hearing chatters within the businessmen. “Thank you for taking the time to meet me, Sir.”

 

“No problem. Let’s talk more soon.”

 

“Affirmative.”

 

After bidding her colleagues farewell, she rushes to her car. A few buzz from her phone, she assumes it’s from Irene because she’s the only nuisance in her life right now.

 

What she doesn’t know is her father’s blowing up her device and she’ll have a taste of her father’s wrath the moment she steps in their humble abode.

 

[Mr. Lustre]

Wendy.

What the hell were you thinking?!

At saan ka nanaman pupunta?!

Go home this instant. Mag uusap tayo.

Wendy Lustre.

 


 

“Guys, one hour break muna then balik kayo ha.” 

 

Tinanguan ni Irene ang mga miyembro niya. Nilibot niya ang paningin sa mga kasamahang unti-unti nang lumalabas upang kumain ng lunch. Hindi niya napansin ang nakatayong babae sa gilid niya sa sobrang occupied ng utak niya. Kaya ganon na lang ang pagkagulat niya nang lumingon siya upang ilapag sa mesa ang mic na hawak-hawak.

 

“Ay putragis!” Sigaw ni Irene. Sinalubong siya ng nakakunot na noo ni Wendy.

 

“I’ve been called plentiful of names in my entire existence, but putragis is not one of them,” lahad ni Wendy. “What’s putragis, Miss Reymundo?” Takang tanong ni Wendy.

 

Kung hindi kilala ni Irene si Wendy ay baka inisip na niyang inaasar siya nito. Pero halata naman sa mukha ng conyong Atenista ang pagkalito sa sinabi niya. Di na siya magugulat kung never pa ngang narinig ni Wendy ang salitang putragis. Ang alam lang ata nitong mga mura ay pangburgis tulad ng , , damn, o dang, isip ni Irene.

 

Tumikhim na lang si Irene imbes na sagutin ang tanong ng Lustre.

 

“Wala. Expression lang yon. Bakit ka pa nandito? Lunch break ah, kala ko ikaw ang unang aalis pagka-announce ko noon.” 

 

Ngumiti nang nakakaloko si Wendy na ikinataka ni Irene.

 

“Ah, is that why you were roaming your eyes around the room earlier? Looking for me, Miss Reymundo? Miss mo na naman ako kaagad.” Saad ni Wendy, halata ang di matatas na dila sa pagsasalita ng Filipino dahil sa accent nito.

 

“Kapal talaga ng apog mo. Kung wala ka nang ibang sasabihin, kumain ka na lang. Baka gutom lang yan.” Tumalikod si Irene para kunin ang water bottle niya. Nasa kalagitnaan siya ng pag-inom nang narinig niyang magsalita ang babaeng kausap niya.

 

Kainin kita.”

 

*PFFFFFFFT*

 

Oo, naibuga niya ang iniinom niyang tubig. Narinig niyang sunod ang paghalaklak ng demonyitang nasa harap niya ngayon.

 

“Miss Reymundo! You should’ve seen your face!” Pinunasan ni Wendy ang luha na galing sa katatawa. “Aww man, I haven’t laughed like this in ages.”

 

“Alam mo, sa susunod na magbuga ako ng tubig, sa mukha mo na yon tatama! Sinasabi ko sa’yo, Lustre!” Pinandilatan ng mata ni Irene si Wendy. Puputok na ata ang ugat ni Irene dahil sa babaeng to. Kung hindi si Duterte, baka isang Lustre ang maging dahilan ng maaga niyang pagpanaw. Dios na mahabagin.

 

“Sure, sure. Anyway, to answer your question, I’m about to eat, too. And since I’m feeling generous, I’m taking you with me.”

 

“Wow, generous na kapitalista? Amazing naman!” Sarkastikong sabi ni Irene with matching palakpak. Nakita niyang nag-twitch ang labi ni Wendy mula sa pagkakangisi nito. Did she hit a nerve?

 

Agad niyang pinagsisihan ang pang-aasar. Siguro nga ay sinusubukan na ng Lustre ang maging civil. Although, may pang-iinis pa rin naman, at least ay nagt-try nang mag-reach out si Wendy. After all, ang intensyon naman nila talaga ay ang mag-educate, not humiliate. Napabuntong-hininga si Irene sa naisip. 

 

“Tsk, if my presence annoys you that much for you to sigh deeper than the 9th circle of hell, you should’ve just said so. Fine, suit yours-”

 

“Tara na nga, dami mo pa sinasabi. Libre mo, ha.” Hinila ni Irene si Wendy sa laylayan ng sweater nito, kaya walang nagawa si Wendy kung hindi sumunod sa kaniya. Naririnig ni Irene ang warning signs sa utak niya na bad idea ang pagpayag niya, kasabay ng mga daing ni Wendy dahil sa paghila niya sa babae (tulad ng hey this is expensive! at stop tugging! You’ll ruin it!).

 

Lahat yon ay parang ere na lumabas-pasok sa magkabilaang tenga niya.

 

Sino ba naman ako para tumanggi sa pagkain. Libre na nga, tatanggihan ko pa?

 

Katwiran niya sa sarili niya na mismong siya ay hindi magawang paniwalaan.

 


 

“Welp, it’s closed.”

 

Kasalukuyan silang nasa harap ng Italianni’s. Closed for renovation daw ang resto. Kita ang pagkadismaya sa mukha ni Wendy.

 

Sayang. I’ve been craving for some fried calamari pa naman.”

 

Ay sus. Calamares lang pala ang nais. Kay layo pa ng nirating.” Bulong ni Irene sa sarili. Akmang hihilahin na naman ni Irene ang sleeve ni Wendy nang inunahan na ng Atenista ang gagawin ni Irene.

 

“Ah ah ah, you don’t get to drag me all the way to the parking lot this time. I can walk myself, you know.” Inirapan siya ni Wendy.

 

Aba uma-attitude? Wow, aso na kayang ilakad ang sarili, kakaiba yun.

 

Erase, erase. Civil, Irene. Be civil.

 

“Basta sundan mo na lang ako. Bilisan mo habang di pa tapos ang lunch break. Igsi pa naman ng biyas mo.” Ngisi ni Irene.

 

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?” 

 

Iniwan ni Irene si Wendy pero ramdam nitong sinusundan pa siya ng babae.

 

Kahit naman civil, pwede niya namang asarin pabalik ang Lustre, hindi ba?

 


 

“What is this? Some kind of outside barbecue party inside the campus?”

 

Ano raw? Barbecue party?

 

Natawa si Irene sa sinabi ni Wendy. Kumunot ang noo ng haciendera, nagtataka sa pagtawa niya.

 

“Madam Lustre, nasa ihawan tayo. Dito kumakain ang mga mortal na katulad ko. Barbecue party ka diyan…” Nagsimula na humakbang papunta ng stall si Irene. 

 

“Hey! Don’t leave me like that basta-basta!” Iritang sigaw ni Wendy mula sa likuran ni Irene.

 

“Ang arte mo talaga! Walang kikidnap sa’yo dito! Puro gutom mga nandito ngayon, wala sa isip nila ang mangdakip ng hacienderang tulad mo.” Irap ni Irene habang may pwersang ibinigay kay Wendy ang kaniyang bag. “Oh, sa’yo muna ‘to. Umupo ka muna don, hanap ka ng table, senyora.”

 

Ibinalik ni Wendy ang pag-irap niya. “Whatever.” At umalis na ang Lustre mula sa paningin niya. Maya-maya ay nakaramdam siya ng tapik sa balikat niya.

 

“Don’t get any ideas, Reymundo. If I die because of the food here, it will be blood on your hands.” Bumalik na agad si Wendy sa table nila bago pa man makasagot si Irene.

 

LORD! BIGYAN NIYO AKO NG PASENSYA!

 


 

“Are you sure that these are edible?” Wendy scrunched her nose at the… food in front of them. She’s quite unfamiliar with the dishes, all except the rice. She caught Irene staring at her incredulously, as if Wendy grew another head.

 

“What? I’m just making sure! You don’t know how sensitive my stomach gets if I’m eating food that I’m not used to.” Wendy reasoned. She saw the girl roll her eyes before taking a cautious bite of a weird-looking barbecue.

 

I guess she’s annoyed. 

 

She was still staring at her food when she heard Irene speak. “Lustre, malinis to. Wag ka nang maarte, di sila nagbebenta ng calamares kaya naglakad pa ko don sa kabilang kanto na may bagong bukas na tusok-tusok. Wag mong sayangin effort ko.” Irene said while shoving a stick in her hand. It’s her calamares.

 

“Sige na, kain na. Pag sumakit tiyan mo, bibilhan kita ng loperamide.”

 

Strangely, Wendy didn’t get annoyed at her remarks, which was a first. Instead, what resonated with her the most is the fact that Irene went out of her way just to buy her something that she’s been craving earlier.

 

For the first time in a very long time, Wendy felt cared for.

 

So Wendy obliged, with a faint pinkish tint coloring her cheek while trying out the street food in her hand.

 

She felt a pair of eyes observing her, but she was too flustered to even look up from her food. 

 

“Ano? Masarap, di ba?” She heard Irene ask. Wendy admits, it tastes better than it looks. She simply nodded, finishing her first stick. A few seconds later passed when Irene shoved another stick to her grasp.

 

“Eto, isaw tawag dito. Intestines. Try mo.”

 

“Intestines?! Are you serious? That’s disgusting!” Wendy spat in disgust. A few heads turned towards their direction, curiously staring at the two women. Wendy realized her sudden outburst, lowering her head in embarrassment and vigilance, who knows if there’s a spy here to follow her and report back to her father. But she’s right, okay? Who in their right mind would eat intestines? That’s repulsive!

 

“Kakainin mo o ipapamigay ko yang cellphone mo sa mga batang hamog? Ano?” Irene threatened while pointing a stick towards Wendy menacingly. The blonde felt a chill run down her spine upon seeing the scary look on Irene’s face.

 

“Bilis na, new experience para sayo to. Isipin mo na lang na BMI to.”

 

“BMI? Body Mass Index?” Wendy asked, confused as to why BMI is suddenly involved in this conversation. She heard Irene let out a soft laugh. Perhaps a sarcastic one.

 

“Hay nako, halatang hindi nakikinig. BMI, Basic masses integration. Paglubog sa masa, a.k.a. immersion, sa madaling salita. Na halatang kulang sa inyo sa Ateneo. Ginagawa yun para ma-educate ang masa, para maging aware sila sa mga injustices na nangyayari sa lipunan.” Irene paused for a while to take a bite out of her food. Once she finished chewing, she began lecturing Wendy, again.

 

“Alam mo yung kasabihan na isang kahig, isang tuka? Karamihan sa mga Pinoy ay ganon; ano nga bang pakialam nila sa isyu ng bayan kung sarili nilang pamilya, ni hindi nila mapakain? So, hindi na nila nalalaman kung anong nangyayari sa paligid nila, which ultimately affects them in their everyday lives. Kasi in the end, sila yung directly na maaapektuhan ng mga kagaguhan ng gobyerno, hindi ako, at lalong hindi ikaw. Ayon, minsan kasi, we’re too caught up with our own problems, that we can’t be bothered to look around outside of our own bubble.” Irene resumed eating after her speech.

 

Wendy could only nod while being lost in her own train of thought. That last statement from Irene hits close to home, and she’s aware of that. Wendy found herself not wanting the conversation to die down, for some strange reason.

 

“I’ve always thought that they knew. It’s just that they don’t bother to help themselves, kasi tamad sila. Like, they don’t care.”

 

It seems like she accidentally set off a bomb just by seeing Irene’s reaction. She thought that the woman would scold her by the look on her face, so imagine her surprise when Irene settled for a deep sigh.

 

“Speak for yourself, Lustre. Isipin mo yung mga magsasakang naghihirap. Masisipag sila, pero bakit mahirap pa rin sila? Hindi sila tamad. These people, they want to help themselves, okay? Pero paano nila magagawa yon kung ang mga tao mismo na may kapangyarihan ay hindi sila matulungan. Wala silang enough resources para makabangon, kasi in the first place ay ineexploit ng mga burges ang pinagkukunan nila. Hinohoard, so to speak. So, remember, we aren’t dealt with the same cards, yung iba, are not privileged enough to be born into a wealthy family. Some are less fortunate than others, and others include you.

 

Wendy groaned internally. She understood some, but not all. She furrowed her brows in confusion. “But it’s not about the cards we’re dealt with, it’s about how you play your hand, right?” Wendy reasoned. 

 

“But that’s the thing, life isn’t a game—it shouldn’t be a game where someone wins, and the majority, loses.”

 

Well that’s something to think about. In her years of existence, it’s consistently instilled to her mind by her dear father that she must always win, because she’s a Lustre. A damned Lustre. Irene has a point, why should it always be a competition?

 

For the first time since she joined the MK sessions, she finally understood something, all thanks to the woman before her.

 

Irene went eye to eye with Wendy, as if looking for any change in the blonde’s thinking. Wendy stared right back, biting the inside of her cheek while the gears in her head tried to comprehend what Irene said. A few seconds passed when both of them realized that they’ve been staring at each other longer than what is deemed acceptable.

 

They immediately tore their gaze apart. Wendy, flustered at what just transpired, ate the isaw in panic, earning a surprised look on Irene’s face. After realizing what she just did, and after tasting the intestines, she contorted her face in disgust.

 

“Yuck! Why is it so bitter?!” Wendy reached for her Hydroflask, chugging the water down just to erase the acrid taste from . She stopped in her tracks when she heard Irene laughing. Is she dreaming? Is Irene really laughing this loud because of her?

 

A few seconds passed by when Irene finally finished giggling. “Alam mo, Lustre, ayaw ko sa maarte pero nakakatawa ka.”

 

Is that supposed to be a compliment? Did Irene just indirectly say that she likes Wendy?

 

At this point, Wendy doesn’t know what to think anymore.

 

“Ubusin na natin to, balik na tayo in 10 minutes.” 

 

Wendy obliged, finishing the remaining calamari on stick, while Irene eats the extra isaw.

 

After finishing their food, the two walked back together.

 

“Ay nga pala,” Irene suddenly said, “bat ka napatawag kahapon?”

 

“Huh?”

 

Irene hums thoughtfully before expounding her question, “Tumawag ka kahapon, mga pa-gabi na ata yun tapos may ginagawa akong activity.” 

 

Oh.

 

So, she called Irene unintentionally?

 

“Ah, misdialed.” Wendy shrugged, putting her hands in her pockets.

 

Pfft misdialed, really Wendy?

 

“Ah sige sige.”

 

At least she did not push it.

 

They continued to walk back to the campus. What was supposed to be a peaceful walk for Wendy turned into a bothersome one. What is the psychological explanation behind doing things subconsciously? Should she give meaning to it?

 


 

“Salamat. Ingat ka pag-uwi.”

 

Wendy simply offered a smile in return, too caught up in her own thoughts.

 

Irene’s words echoed inside her head; 

 

Life isn’t a gameit shouldn’t be a game where someone wins, and the majority, loses.

 

But for Wendy, it’s already a game; a game wherein she’s currently losing. It was just a few days ago when she decided to bring down Irene Reymundo. And in that small amount of time, she found herself in a slump. What happened to the old Wendy Lustre?

 

Perhaps Wendy shouldn’t have started this game she’s playing, because the minute she played it, maybe she already lost.

 

Because, unsurprisingly, Wendy once again found herself staring at Irene’s retreating figure, inside her car. It seems like it’s becoming a habit of hers to bring Irene home. Strangely, she doesn’t find it as a chore as much as doing business for her father.

 

Bringing down Irene Reymundo was harder than she expected. Not because the girl is powerful but because of—a reason she can’t figure out.

 

“Ahhh!” She groaned in frustration, slamming her head softly on her steering wheel. She’s so confused. But why? 

 

She shook her head and composed herself. No, she won’t give up on her agenda. She’ll think of something, somehow.

 

“So much strangeness in one day,” Wendy muttered to no one as she drove off for the night.

 

She suddenly remembered her favorite line from a movie.

 

Love is the greatest weapon.

 

Love can be the most lethal weapon, so much that it can cause more pain than a hundred bullet wounds in the heart. If Wendy can’t bring Irene Reymundo down through technicalities and jeopardy then love, love will tear her apart. An uneasy feeling passed through her spine. Wendy ignored the sudden weight in her chest, together with her conversation earlier with the woman about life not being a competition, because in reality, it is. And in order for her to succeed, someone must lose. Hurting Irene Reymundo might be the most revolting plan that she has ever conceived, but when push comes to shove, then she must do whatever it takes to uphold her family name.

 

Even if it means hurting someone like Irene.

 


 

Base sa pagkakatanda ni Irene, nakaupo siya sa harap ng lamesa at nag-aaral nang mabuti pero hindi niya maintindihan kung bakit biglang nagtanong ang dormmate niyang si Wheein. 

 

“Huy, ano nginingiti-ngiti mo dyan?”

 

Hindi namalayan ni Irene na kanina pa pala siya nakangisi. Caught in the act siya tuloy ni Wheein. 

 

“Ha? Wala ah!” Depensa ni Irene.

 

Pero di papatinag si Wheein, very sus naman kasi na ngumingisi nang mag-isa si Irene. Sinong bang matinong tao ang nangingiti habang nagbabasa ng case study about the exploitative aspect of capitalism, which focuses mainly on unpaid internships.

 

“Sis, lokohin mo na lelang mo wag lang ako.” Pang-aasara ni Wheein sa nagkakailang Irene. Napa-irap na lang ang huli sa tono ng boses ni Wheein.

 

“Bahala ka na nga dyan, mag-aaral nalang ako.” 

 

Binalik niya ang kaniyang atensyon sa binabasa niya kanina bago pa man bulabugin ng isang Lustre ang pag-aaral niya. Sino ba namang nasa katinuan ang magme-message sa gitna ng gabi para sabihin na nakauwi na siya?

 

[Lustre]

I’m home. 

Not saying this because I want you to know.

Just saying it because I have lots of credit to waste. Unlike you, baka you need 50 pesos for gosurf50 or whatever you UP-ians use for texting.

 

[Irene]

Whatever, Lustre.

Nag-aaral ako, istorbo ka.

[Lustre]

I did not ask what you were doing, Reymundo, nor do I care.

But, study well.

Get on my level.

[Irene]

Di na kailangan.

I don’t wanna stoop down to your level 🤪

[Lustre]

Hitting me where it hurts huh?

Whatever, Reymundo.

 

Nag-decide siya na hindi na mag reply at mag focus na sa kaniyang inaaral pero hindi pa rin mapigilan ng utak niya na mapangiti sa pag-uusap nila ni Wendy. 

 

At baka parte na rin ng rason ng kaniyang pag ngiti ang naganap kanina?

 

Yung ngiti ni Wendy…

 

Yung pisngi ni Wendy na nakaka-tempt kurutin…

 

Yung… si Wendy…

 

*ping!*

 

[Lustre]

Goodnight, Reymundo.

 

Anak ng clown fish na nawawala, bakit ko ba naiisip yung babaeng yon?!