After Hours

The Cost of Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The breeze from outside the gym was cold and hit you both as soon as you stepped foot outside. Rosie ran across the parking lot in a hurry leaving you behind as you kept a steady pace. Her lack of clothing not helping her at all. You unlock your car as she makes her way to the side of the passenger door. All you could do was chuckle to yourself seeing your girlfriend frantically jump inside the car, seeking some kind of warmth. She was like a little kid sometimes, which is one of the things you loved about her.

 

As you reached the car you popped the back open putting Rosie’s bag in the trunk along with yours. Then you finally got into the drivers seat. As soon as the car started Rosie turned the heat all the way up.

 

“It’s not even that cold out!” You adjusted it, turning the heat down a little so you didn’t melt. “I don’t care! I’d rather it be hot then cold.” Funny thing is no matter how cold she feels, she’d always be hot on the outside. “Winter is gonna be hell for you then isn’t it.” You smirked at her. “Yes!!! I miss the summer soooo much already!” She said sulking into her seat. “Don’t you?” Contrary to her, you actually liked colder weather. To be fair though, there were definitely things about the summer you were gonna miss. But doesn’t that go without saying for any normal high schooler at the beginning of the school year. 

 

“I don’t know…I mean do you not know how good you look in long coats?” She lightly took her lip between her teeth. “Well do you not know how good I look in short shorts and crop tops and other summer type clothing?” The last part coming out slowly. You couldn’t deny that she got you there. Short shorts and crop tops would definitely win over her y long coat style. Kind of like what she was wearing right now actually. But either way she looked good in anything she put on her body and even better without, but that’s a given.

 

She started going through a playlist on her phone, as it automatically connected to the speakers in your car. As it should, you haven’t controlled the music in you car since you two started going out. But she had the best taste in music. No worries there.

 

The drive from the school to her house wasn’t too long of a drive. About 15 minutes or so. Then another 15 minutes from her house to yours. But it always felt like mere seconds, the drive was something you had been doing religiously since you got your drivers license. In fact the very route from your house to hers to the school has been the exact same routine since 7th grade when your parents decided to start shuttling you both to school together.

 

Without question you decided to drive to a diner downtown instead of driving Rosie straight to her house. After practicing for hours the both of you were obviously very hungry. The place downtown was one of your favorite spots. Rosie loved that you never needed to ask her if she was hungry, you always just knew. It was also a blessing that neither of you argued over where to eat anymore. At this point in your relationship, you knew each other’s food preferences pretty well. Rosie had you trained. She trusted your judgement on choosing places to eat since she knew you knew her. 7 times out 10 you picked right. Let’s be real, you weren’t going to be right all the time.

 

It was a small diner pancaked between two big boutiques. One of those mom and pop type of places. Despite the town growing and expanding this place was able to withstand it all since it was still kicking.

 

Rosie threw on her jacket and gave herself one last look over in the passenger side mirror. “You look fine, I promise.” At this point you should be used to her last minute look overs. “You mean I don’t look like I just spent the past few hours practicing a bunch of cheer routines.” “Well…””Uh-huh, thats what I thought.” “Alright suit yourself, I’ll be inside.” 

 

You got out of the car and made your way over to the front doors of the diner, stopping just before entering to make sure your girlfriend made it out of the car without hassle. She clumsily got out of the car a few moments later when she thought she looked decent enough. Although to you she was always beaming and radiating such beauty all hours of the day. As she approached you waiting in the doorway, she glared at you for leaving her behind. Your eyes playfully glued to your wrist pretending there was a watch there. “Good timing captain, another second longer and they might’ve closed on us.” 

 

She makes her way through the doorframe pushing you aside. “Oh shut-up!” You follow in after her, quietly laughing to yourself. 

 

Burgers, shakes, and fries were what was on the menu tonight. One of the usual you could say. 

 

The waitress brought your food out not long after you both ordered. Placing the burgers in front of you and Rosie and then the basket of fries in the middle. Agreeing beforehand to share the fries. Before diving into the food in front of you, you made sure to thank the waitress as she left.

 

You grabbed a handful of fries and threw them into your mouth. “So you all ready for the next game?” Rosie started picking at the fries as well. “Actually, Yeah! We’re like beyond ready! Compared to where we were at this time last year. Major improvement!” Rosie was a little stunned at the sudden realization. It was a moment where she gave herself a metaphoric pat on the back. 

 

You pulled the tomato out of your burger. “Here.” She pulled the top bun off her burger for you to place the extra tomato on hers. “Well, I mean last year was your first year as captain. You’ve definitely had the chance to prove yourself to them. That improvement is all you baby!” You took a big bite of your burger while she slowly started munching on her burger across from you. Enjoying you praising her. 

 

“I wouldn’t say it was all me…” Sounding as modest as she could, although she was feeli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter