Our Homecoming Then

The Cost of Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of TOP 40’s music hits your ears the second you step foot in the room. Echoing out from the DJ set-up near the center. The lights swaying over the crowd, illuminating the entire space in an array of color, reflecting off the sparkling stars that were strung along the ceiling. The combined light show mixed with the reverberating beats of the music made everything seem spectacular. An atmosphere that was different, more vibrant. Like being on another planet. Which in more ways than one, was true.

 

Rosie stood at your side, wearing her nerves on her sleeves, a tiny pout on her lips. You hadn’t been dating that long, but even now in this moment, you could tell she was going to be a special part of your life. This was your first dance with her and you felt frozen. Desperately not wanting to ruin anything. It almost felt like it was just yesterday that you asked her out. Shy and nervous, standing in front of her. But that was expected, after all it took you an entire year to finally open your mouth in the first place and admit to yourself that you liked her. To make the move from being her friend to being more than friends. That same exact feeling that was shooting back through your veins at this very moment. Your mouth feeling dry as you notice how quiet she is; how quiet she’s been since you arrived.

 

“E-everything okay Rosie?” You ask, hesitantly scratching the back of your neck, the words getting stuck in your throat.

 

The way her cheeks puff out as she rubs her elbow, make the nerves inside you triple as you see that she’s just as nervous as you. Without thinking much about it, you reach your hand out taking hers in your grasp, hoping that would put her at ease and help calm her. 

 

A small blush makes its way onto her cheeks as her body momentarily turns away from you as she tries to hide it. But being under the lights of the dance, makes it impossible for you to miss. It brought a smile to your face, especially when you felt her slightly lean back into you after squeezing your hand back.

 

“Yeah…it’s just I didn’t realize that everyone would go all out for a Homecoming dance…” Her eyes quickly shooting to the ground after scanning the room. 

 

You look out, noticing the crowd of upperclassmen all clad in upscale dresses and high fashion, the sudden connection finally dawning on you. As two small freshmen making their way into the new world of high school, Rosie couldn’t help but feel small.

 

She was in a place where everything was new to her. New school, new classes, and on top of the list of all the many other things, was this new thing with you, which she wasn’t completely sure about. After moving here in the 6th grade, you were the next person she became friends with after she met Jennie, and up until recently you were both just really good friends. In fact, she’d even say you were one of her best friends. You became a stable part of her life and for two years that stayed true until she developed her little crush on you at the beginning of 8th grade. Then all of sudden that stability that she felt seemed to wobble out of place as she found herself secretly hoping that you’d get the courage to ask her out one day. Which you obviously did, but now that you were dating, it only made things feel even more uncertain for her.

 

That’s because Rosie was the type of person who feared what she couldn’t predict. And the thing about life, is that it’s absolutely unpredictable and that realization gave her an overweighed sense of fear. Which didn’t show that often, but she couldn’t help when those moments of thoughts came flooding to her head. And unfortunately for her, one of those moments happened to be now, the second she stepped through the doors of the dance with you. But it was reassuring when she felt you grab her hand, because it did indeed ease her nerves. Especially, when she felt like she came super underdressed, and started comparing herself to all the other girls there.

 

“Just so you know, I think you look absolutely beautiful.” You leaned into her ear, making sure she heard you. Wanting her to know that it didn’t matter what she was wearing, or what anyone else was wearing for that matter. “And besides we always have next year to make up for it, right?”

 

With a smile, she leaned into your ear. “Does that mean your already planning on asking me to Homecoming next year?” Her eyebrows arching up, half believing you and half not.

 

It caught you off guard, not realizing how you worded what you said, but you’d be wrong to say that the thought didn’t cross your mind. “Well, that’s only if you let me of course. I wouldn’t mind taking the prettiest girl at this school to every dance that comes up.” The smirk on your lips, making her feel butterflies in the pit of her stomach. Not even official yet and you were already speaking to her like you’d still be together this time next year. There was something about that confidence in your voice she really liked.

 

“You think so? Even more pretty than Tiffany?” Her voice sounding shy. You look over at Tiffany, the Senior Homecoming Queen, her eyes smiling as she danced with her group of friends, right in the center of the room, all eyes on her. 

 

There was a small chuckle that came from you. “I mean, don’t get me wrong Tiffany is really pretty and all and deserves Homecoming queen but I still think your the prettiest girl here. Hands down!” Your response made her feel flustered. Tiffany was the current IT girl at the high school and it made her feel special to hear you say that she was prettier. The tiniest flame of confidence starting to burn inside her at that moment. “Come on, let’s dance?” You held your hand out, leading her onto the dance floor finally. Hoping to further distract her from the many thoughts running through her head.

 

It amazed her how you were able to effortlessly make her forget about all the worries she had. Pulling her to the center of the dance floor, with no care in the world, other than to just have fun. Both of you had smiles plastered on your face the entire time, your cheeks beginning to hurt from the amount of smiling and laughing you were doing.

 

You took her hand as you twirled her around, watching as the world stopped. Your eyes glued to that perfect smile of hers. Jennie pushed her way through the crowd, joining you and Rosie on the dance floor along with her date for the night. She squealed as she grabbed Rosie’s hands, the both of them doing a little dance once they were finally together again, the pair being inseparable.

 

“When did you get here?” Rosie asked, pressed up against Jennie’s ear. “We literally just got here. How insane is this place though?” Jennie responded her eyes taking in everything. “Serious question are we at Homecoming or a club? I didn’t think it’d actually be this cool!” 

 

Rosie laughs and nods along. “I know I thought we were going to have to wait until Prom for a dance like this!” “Now we know!” Jennie says making Rosie dance along with her. 

 

The two girls continue to laugh along with each other, dancing to every song that came up. Adrenaline pumping. Both of you having more fun than you thought. 

 

Taking time to rest, the four of you find an empty table off to the side to catch your breath and cool down, the center of the room being the hot spot.

 

Rosie fans herself as she finds her seat. “Is it hot or is it just me?” You take the seat right next to her. “Both!” Jennie takes a seat across from the two of you with her date stopping to talk to a couple of his friends just a little ways away. Jennie tries to not make an obvious face even though your response to Rosie made her smirk. “I’ll be right back, let me get you something to drink.” Before she knows it your out of sight, already halfway to the table of refreshments on the opposite side of the room.

 

Leaning in, Jennie motioned her eyes back and forth between you and Rosie. “So? How’s it going so far?” Rosie quickly looks back to you to make sure you weren’t on your way back just yet. “I was really nervous when we first got here, but it’s going really good. I really like Y/N!” Jennie moves another seat closer to Rosie, sitting to her right now. “Duh, that’s pretty obvious. Don’t freak out but I think you two are really cute together.” Rosie’s eyes grow wider, not knowing how to react, her lip quivering slightly as she starts to say something but quickly retracts it, choosing to remain quiet instead. 

 

Jennie senses her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter