Ready or Not?

The Cost of Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Barely making it in time for the appointment, Rosie sat in the salon chair, letting the hair stylist do her job touching up the roots of her blonde hair. Something she’s grown accustomed to since the day she decided to change her hair color. She couldn’t deny that it was a lot of work to maintain, especially for this long, but she loved it so much she didn’t care. The first few times she got her roots redone, it was a pain in the neck, something she dreaded, but after so many visits now, it’s become so routine that theres nothing about it that bothers her anymore. The first day you saw her with the blonde locks you swore that Rosie was always born to be blonde, letting the gorgeous golden locks speak for themselves. Of course Rosie in any hair color was eye catching, but she especially loved the way you looked at her the day she came to you after going blonde. There was something she saw in your eyes that day, something that she’s attributed to the hair color, which is one of the reasons why she’s been so keen on keeping it. But she’s never told you that, it was a little secret she kept to herself.

 

She sat patiently with her phone in her hand. While she was waiting for her hair to be done, she scrolled through the various hairstyles she’s had picked out, trying to decide which one she was going to go with for the night. She’s put it off for the past few days and forgot all about it, holding out until the last second to make a final decision. Of course the past few days, you’ve done such a good job of distracting her from just about everything, so it’s not surprising this is also something she completely forgot about. It wasn’t too big of a deal for her though, she knew she’d be at the salon for hours getting her hair and nails done, so she figured she’d have the time anyway.

 

Jennie sat to her right, getting her long hair trimmed, the slightest bit. Her eyes focused on the work the stylist was doing. Wanting to make sure that it looked exactly the way she wanted.

 

Unlike Rosie, Jennie’s had her look picked out ever since the date for Homecoming was announced. She was going to go with a look that gave her long luxurious waves, something that really showcased her long dark hair. A look that told everyone she was Homecoming queen, because she assumed even then that she’d get crowned. Rather than say it was wishful thinking, she’d like to think of it more as a way of her being super self confident in herself. Plus, she knew she wanted to get something that would also compliment the bold style of make-up she was planning on getting. Because bold was a look Jennie knew well.  

 

“Quick question, is everyone in your family just naturally good at cooking? Because that breakfast this morning looked so good!” Rosie takes a moment to glance at the girl, diverting her attention away from her phone for a second. “It’s all in the family genes! We’re all naturally gifted!” Rosie held her head up, feeling proud. If her hair was down this would’ve been the perfect moment for her to flip her hair back, but she had to just imagine that since her hair was currently being worked on.

 

Jennie laughed a little. “I’m so jealous. It takes me so long to learn new recipes. I should’ve came over earlier to eat with you all.”

 

Rosie puts her phone down on the counter in front of her. “I’m glad you didn’t.” Jennie tilts her head, wondering what the reason for that was. “Wait, why?” Rosie waited a bit for the stylist to get far enough away before saying anything more, leaning her head closer to Jennie. “I kinda think Ally and my mom might’ve heard me and Y/N last night.” A look a worry on her face.

 

Jennie’s mouth drops open, followed by her eyes widening. “NO WAY!!! And you were worried me talking loudly was gonna announce it to them. Geez! How loud do you get?”

 

Rosie, yet again felt the heat rise in her cheeks. “I swear I tried to be quiet. Like I really, really did. But…” The stylist came back over, continuing to work on her hair. Rosie immediately stopped talking, looking away, hoping the lady didn’t know what they were referring to.

 

Jennie didn’t realize how far she had started leaning over her chair until her stylist started pulling her back by her shoulder. Her eyes still on Rosie. “We are finishing this conversation, later!”

 

The door to the salon suddenly bursts open as Irene and Nayeon make there way in, making the two girls forget what they were talking about in the first place. “Alright es we’re here!” Nayeon said with a goofy smile on her face. She walks over handing Jennie and Rosie drinks. “You better love me for this. I honestly thought about not bringing you anything!” 

 

Jennie’s eyes grew big, “Yay! I was actually wanting this the other day!” Rosie took the drink, stabbing the straw through the top. Irene set her bag down, grinning back at Jennie. “She’s just trying to bribe you two. She wants you to change her position for the qualifiers next month.” Nayeon shot the other girl a little glare.

 

“I. AM. NOT… But if you so happen to rethink the positions, I wouldn’t mind being switched with let’s say….Sana. But again I’m just putting it out there!” She makes her way to the seat next to Irene.

 

Irene finally takes notice of Rosie still in the process of getting her roots done. “Damn it! I told you she wasn’t going to be done yet!” Nayeon shrugs her shoulders in response, not really caring. “So we push back lunch a bit, no big deal!”

 

Both girls move to sit on the opposite side of the room, at the nail station, mirroring Rosie and Jennie’s placements. Irene had hoped that by the time they arrived it would have given Rosie enough time to get through the majority of her hair treatment. But they arrived a bit to early, which wasn’t a problem for Nayeon because she loved joining the duo. The two of them could literally make anything fun, as long as they were together, so Nayeon knew the extra time spent together would still be entertaining somehow.

 

Irene had her phone propped up so she could scroll through it freely with just one hand. Her eyes piercing through the phone as a certain video catches her attention. “. Have you girls seen JYG Prep’s video?” She sends the video to each of the girls.

 

Jennie and Rosie attentively watch, as Nayeon struggles to open the video with her one free hand.

 

Jennie starts laughing, which is the opposite reaction Irene thought she was going to have. Rosie has her brows furrowed in. “Honestly, I’m not worried.” Rosie looks back to Irene after watching the entire video. 

 

“How does that not worry you? That is literally our routine.” Rosie tries to be as reassuring and confident as possible, showcasing that cheer captain leadership. “It is, but it’s also from last year. I don’t know what they think their trying to prove by using an old routine.”

 

“Not to mention they’re doing it very badly. That formation looked terrible. If they want to try to get through the qualifying round with that, then good luck to them.” Jennie added, making Irene a bit baffled that they didn’t see the possible threat.

 

Nayeon finally catching up to them, finishing the video just then. “Plus, our routine now is sooo good! Rosie did an amazing job!” Irene glares at her, knowing she was still trying to up a bit to get her part changed. Rosie doesn’t notice and smiles back at the compliment. 

 

“Don’t freak out about it. Trust me we’re good! We did good last year and we’re even better this year! Nationals is in the bag! I promise! Plus every other squad knows we did that routine last year. If its a threat to anyone its themselves.” Irene relaxes a bit, seeing Rosie and Jennie so calm, making her drop it.

 

“Oh, just wondering are we going to be getting another day off this week.” Jennie asks, looking in Rosie’s direction, an innocent look on her face. “You know, in case you get busy again. I just want to plan accordingly this time!” Jennie shoots the girl a smile. 

 

Rosie knows exactly what she’s referring to. “Hmm…I don’t know ask me again tomorrow!” Irene already absorbed in something else on her phone narrows her eyes. “What difference is asking you tomorrow gonna make?” Rosie rolls her eyes. “Yes, Rosie why would tomorrow be any different!” Jennie says teasingly to her, while Rosie ignores her.

 

The salon they went to was a place Jennie’s been going to for years, somewhere her mom was personally a fan of, which guaranteed the quality of work and professionalism they’d be experiencing. While Jennie and Rosie finished up with their hair, Irene and Nayeon got their nails done. Making it an easy switch for the four of them once they got done.

 

“Jennie what do you think of this one?” Rosie asked, her hand holding her phone out to Jennie, a picture of a various hairstyle on screen. The look on Jennie’s face suggesting she wasn’t to impressed by it. “What else do you have?” Rosie proceeded to scroll through all the options she had picked out. “I think the half up, half down look is the best. It suits you!” Rosie brought the phone back into her view, looking it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter