Picking up all the pieces

The Cost of Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The headlights of the car were beaming bright as the vehicle to a familiar street. Providing a stream of light to the darkened road that lied ahead. The only other source of light coming from the evenly spaced out lamps that sat on the edge of the sidewalks, lining the street on both sides. The neighborhood at peace as all the residents went to sleep.

 

Jennie was propped up against the wheel, keeping her eyes peeled. Hands glued to the 9 and 3 o’clock positions. No music playing. Her focus fully concentrated on finding her best friend above anything else. 

 

She had just ended a call with Rosie’s mom seconds ago, checking that off the list of places Rosie could have fled too. If she knew Rosie like she knew she did, there were really only three places in her mind the girl could have fled to. The first was the garden at the school. She’s listened to Rosie gush about the place plenty of times before to understand why that was one of the places that Rosie treasured the most. But whether or not it was a place that gave her peace of mind she probably wouldn’t go there without you. Not to mention the fact that Homecoming was currently still going on as well. So, based on those odds it was easy for Jennie to rule that out as an option. The second place was for her to go back home. If she didn’t seek out you or Jennie then she’d definitely go to her mom or sister. But the call she made earlier confirmed that Rosie hadn’t returned home yet either. The third and final option would be the place Jennie was pulling up to just now.

 

“Thank ing god!”

 

A huge sigh of relief left the second she parked and looked over to see Rosie’s mom’s car haphazardly parked along the curb. Indicating that her hunch was correct. She gave herself a mental pat on the back for guessing right. At least now she didn’t have to send out a search party. 

 

She slammed her car door shut as she hurried out using her phone’s light as a substitute for a flashlight. Making the trek in the dark to the back in her heels as she held up the end of her dress. Small grunts of distress coming from her as she pushed against the heavy gate while fighting the crispy breeze that was working against her. She forced herself through the small opening she made then sped across the uneven lawn. The soft grass that covered the ground in her heels with every step she took. 

 

A bit of an obstacle, but she made it to the base of the giant oak tree. The very one that stood tall in the center of your backyard. Growing high enough to reach the heavens and rooted strongly deep within the earth. An ominous shadow casting over the ground from the moon that was shining brightly behind it. It could be intimidating at first glance but it’s not like she hasn’t been there before.

 

It had just been a really long time since she last stood in this very spot. 

 

She stood there staring up, both hands on hers hips, taking a second to compose herself after her long walk from the front to the back. The bottom of her heels slowly sinking into the ground below, without her realizing. Her eyes fixated on the structure perched high up in the branches above. 

 

The treehouse that sat there looked more rundown than it did the last time she visited. The paint on the outside was faded and the front facing window was chipped. It hung open slightly allowing the curtains that hung on the rod inside to blow through the open space. She smiled seeing that you hadn’t changed out the curtains she picked out for you all those years ago. The memory coming back to her as she remembered how much you fought against her, whining about them being to girly for your taste, but being defeated in the end anyway. A proud smile adorning her face as she stuck her tongue out at you, while you sulked into the beanbag chair across from her, not bothering to argue with her anymore as she hung them with pride. 

 

As she stood there with her arms now crossed, she continued to peer up at the gigantic tree, another thought crossing her mind as she remembered how much she used to make fun of you and Jisoo for playing in your treehouse when you were younger. Only for her to get used to being there when Rosie moved to town. Go figure.

 

She rolled her eyes at the thought. Rosie had always wanted a treehouse when she was growing up so when she found out you had one, she came over a lot just to experience having one. Using the term ‘hang out’ whenever she wanted to come over, trying to sound cool, even though you all knew she really meant that she just wanted to play. This very treehouse that was probably the sole reason why you and Rosie ended up getting so close to each other in the first place. 

 

Back then it used to drive Jennie crazy even though she always ended up sticking around anyway. Always so visibly embarrassed. She never realized she’d actually look back at those memories and miss them.

 

She carefully made her way up the sketchy planks of wood that were nailed to the trunk, pushing open the bottom hatch once she reached the top. Making sure to be as subtle as possible.

 

Slowly, poking her head through the bottom of the floor, she saw Rosie sitting in the corner with her arms wrapped around her knees, hugging them tightly against her chest with her head buried in her arms. Jennie let out a little huff of air as she pushed herself up by her elbows, dragging the rest of her body inside. Quietly, crawling her way to the blonde’s side. Small creaks echoing out as she moved her hands and knees along the hard slabs of wood beneath her. Snaking her arms around Rosie’s shoulder as soon as she reached her. Rosie instinctively moved her head over. The comforting position coming natural to both girls.

 

They both sat there curled up in the corner, letting the silence take over. Neither saying a word for the time being. The rustling of the leaves outside being the only sound they heard, until the wind picked up causing the curtain to flap in and out of the opening of the window.

 

Normally, Rosie would’ve gotten scared by the sudden intrusion of another person. Especially, with her being all by herself this late at night. But she figured that nothing else could scare her more than she already felt. The biggest scare of the night coming from her not knowing if you were actually going to be okay or not. And not knowing a damn thing about what happened. Which she still didn’t know the answer to. That thought alone bothering her more than she wanted it to. 

 

With everything hitting her all at once, she desperately needed to go somewhere she could breath, somewhere she could clear her mind and straighten out all her thoughts and feelings before she exploded. Somewhere that wasn’t the hospital and somewhere she wasn’t going to have to deal with everyone’s overwhelming sympathy. Because all that was going to do was make her cry and breakdown again. Even if she knew people meant well, she knew it’d be too much for her. Especially without you. You were her biggest confidence boost and she wasn’t feeling any of that at the moment. Being around Jisoo and your mom wasn’t very helpful either. 

 

 Naturally, that lead her here, to the treehouse in your backyard, as Jennie suspected.

 

She sought this place out because it was one of the few places she could think of that brought her a sense of comfort. The random talks you’d both have, the small make-out sessions, the imaginary adventures and all the little stuff in-between. It all happened here, before you out grew it and moved things to the bedroom. 

 

Plus, it was a lot closer than the lookout spot outside town you both started going to more recently. Another place that only you and her knew about, one that housed all the new late night adventures you went on. It was a little reminiscent for her to be back here after so long. A warm sense of nostalgia gracing her presence the second she climbed up.

 

Letting the comfort of Jennie’s arms overcome her, she leaned her head back into the corner of the treehouse. Getting a better look at all the writings and drawings that were skewed across the walls. Noticing all the paint tubes and markers scattered all over the floor beneath them, next to the small art supply box. Across from that a pile of old beanbags, all deflated now. So many tiny fragments of all the memories you made when you were younger, all there surrounding them. 

 

Rosie got lost in her own thoughts recalling the first time she ever came over to your house which was for your birthday back when she first moved to town. The entire class had been invited so of course she came, even though she was still the new girl. Upon arriving the first thought in her mind was that you were the coolest person ever because you had the treehouse she always wanted, the one she always begged her dad for before they moved. It was probably one of the best impressions anyone in the class could have had back then for her. It sent you right to the top of the list next to Jennie. 

 

Living out her childhood dreams is what kept her coming back in the beginning. But you quickly became someone she needed in her life.  Someone she could ‘hang out’ with, without feeling like she was being judged. Someone she could be a little reckless with, without actually ever being in danger of getting in trouble or hurt. At least not at that age. But above that you were you. Despite how shy and nervous she was to fit in, you always treated her the right way. A big smile welcoming her to your home and making her feel comfortable when she didn’t know anyone else. She adored you from the very beginning. And this place became a place where she could truly and freely express herself. As a kid that’s all she really wanted.

 

Not to mention this treehouse was also the place where you both had your first kiss. A memory that was forever etched into her soul. 

 

You always had a way of making her feel comfortable. But it was easy for you because she made you feel the same way. Even before you officially started liking her, she was the type of person you always wanted to see smiling. The type of girl that you thought always deserved to have nothing but happiness. 

 

Rosie started mumbling under her breath, very faintly, in a voice that was barely audible but enough for Jennie to still hear. “You know the first time I ever came here was for Y/N’s birthday. It was during m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter