Chapter 9

Perfume
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Katniss was somewhere else. She was sure she had never been there before this. Maybe she had but as far as she could reach in her memories, nothing came back as familiar. In front of her was a vast greenery. She could see nothing other than green and the shadows of mountains at the back, serving as a background, providing a nice contrast. It would have been nice to be there but this time, it did not feel pleasant. Instead, she was scared. She knew that it was not real but the warm, soft breeze touching her exposed skin gently made her feel otherwise.

            “Stop!” A man’s yell startled her. She was searching for the source when she saw Wonho backing away from someone and stopped as his back touched a huge tree, the only tree in the endless paddy-like field. His hands were extended in front of him as he desperately trying to stop the man, almost as tall as him, from coming towards him. A butcher’s knife was held tightly in his left hand. So, this man was left-handed.

            She watched in horror as the man suddenly stabbed Wonho in the middle of his chest, the sharp point of the knife sliding effortlessly into the mediastinum, reaching straight into the muscle of the heart before resting there for a few seconds. Wonho’s face was red as he withstand the excruciating pain. The man pulled out the weapon before slamming it back into the same wound. Blood was oozing out from the tear on the white dress shirt when he pulled out the knife one last time. Wonho fell on his knees, clutching the wound as he tried to stop the blood. But since it was the heart that was damaged, it wouldn’t be long before he started having hypovolemic shock. His labored breathing had become shallow and between each breath, he uttered something that sounded too loud for her, causing her to freeze under the rather warm weather although it was merely a whisper.

            “You won’t be able to run away, Changkyun.”

            Katniss jolted out of her bed, her satin pajamas wet with cold sweat. There’s no way…

            Her phone rang, and Changkyun’s name was displayed. She had refused to answer but seeing that he already called her for a few times already, maybe it was something important.

            “Kat! I’m sorry for waking you up, though it’s already close to 6 am now but I have something to tell you. I had a weird dream!”

            “Let me guess. Wonho?” Katniss stifled a yawn, her eyelids slowly shutting down. She had slept pretty late to finish her assignment that was due today.

            “Yes! And guess what? In my dream, the one who killed him is you!”

            Katniss’s eyes flew open. “What? Really? You can see the person’s face?! I had the same dream but I couldn’t see the murderer’s face. Wonho only mentioned his name and his name is the same as yours! Changkyun!”

            He gasped at the other end. “What is this, Kat? I can’t lie to you. This is messing with my head! But really, are you the one who did it?” Changkyun toyed with his dark purple hair, his mind slowly drifting into the pool of thoughts.

            “Not only you, okay? He’s my boyfriend and I’m worried about this more than you! And to say that I did it-” Katniss hang up, her face red with anger. How could he doubt her? What if  he was the one who did it and now he’s trying to shift the blame on her?

            She stared at the white wooden bedroom as Wonho’s shadow went straight through it before it started to solidify into a full touchable figure. He walked towards her and sat right next to her.

            “I see that the dream messed with your mind…and Changkyun’s.”

            Katniss looked at him, begging with her eyes for an answer. “Yes, it did. Was the dream –“

            “You’re getting closer to the truth, darling. You’re almost there.”

            Katniss scurried away from Changkyun who was currently finding his own way towards her t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter