Chapter 2

Perfume
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yeah, just like other typical novels that you can find nowadays, you must be wondering how the hell she recognized someone so well from his or her scent. Crazy? Not really. It is normal. Some people just have their own signature scent. And some people just have sharper olfactory. But to interact with spirits by their scent? Now, that’s crazy.

            It all started on that one particular day. The sun shone warmly on their skin, yet they were clad in thick clothes as the spring had just begun. Katniss was not too likeable – too harsh and loud maybe – so she did not have too many friends. Unlike her fellow classmates who could be friends with everyone from the entire school, she preferred to keep her circle small. So, just like any other day, she could be seen hand in hand with Somin and Jiwoo, on their way to the small table where they usually hang out together during recess.

            Katniss was deep in conversation while munching on her egg and mayonnaise sandwich when smoky scent harassed her nostrils. Well, maybe there was someone burning dried leaves somewhere close. The scent grew stronger each second. She gasped for breath as started to close as if someone was choking her. Everything was a blur as she dropped onto the grass.

            However, she did not fall onto the damp grass. Instead, she fell into a pair of strong arms. But she did not realize it, since the unconsciousness quickly pulled her into its embrace.

She opened her eyes and flinched when the harsh white light penetrated her sensitive retinas. ‘Am I in heaven now? Good Lord.’ A steady beeping sound from a machine told her otherwise. She frowned. ‘No way…there couldn’t be a machine here in heaven, could it? I mean—‘

“Katniss! Are you awake?”

She flinched again. Holy, the voice sounded like it came from a loudspeaker.

She blinked a few times before she was brave enough to fully open her eyes. So, the harsh white light came from the two fluorescent lights above her? Yeah. She looked around and sighed as she saw a machine beside her bed. Of course, why would heaven need machines? She glanced at the back of her hand; the IV line was buried deep in her vein. A hospital.

Three worried faces were staring at her, seeming both worried and confused. “Are you alright, Katniss? You look like you just woke up from a coma and currently, you’re having amnesia.” Wait.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter