Chapter 9 - lay your head on me

this is why I need you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IX

 

 

 

 lay your head on me

 

 

 

Summer gradually gives way to the fall of leaves from the trees. People have started to wrap their necks in sweaters and scarves. Autumn is approaching. Meanwhile, Jennie is dreading her YGE Corporation interview scheduled during the second week of September. It's August 29th, and she hasn't left her apartment since she received the call on August 24th. It has been five days since she hasn’t got out and it’s making her few friends worry, especially MinHo and, her newly found friend, JiSoo. MinHo decided to visit her and persuaded her to get some fresh air so she would not stress herself out even more.

 

“Feeling better now?” MinHo asks Jennie.

 

They finally got out of Jennie's apartment after a half-hour of coaxing. They've been strolling around the park for ten minutes now, so Jennie can get her stress out of her system. 

 

“No,” Jennie answers flatly. “I hate that my brain can’t just shut off.”

 

“Look at you, you’re so pale already. It looks like you haven’t seen the sun since then,” MinHo states.

 

“It’s better to prepare early.”

 

“I get you, but it’s important to take a pause, Jen,” MinHo stops walking and faces Jennie. “I believe in you. You’ll do great.”

 

“But what if I fail? What if I’m not actually fit for the job? What if there are people who are better than me?” Jennie clenches her jaw. “I don’t want to mistake the stars reflected in the pond for the night sky.”

 

“Jen, if it’s meant for you, it will find you no matter what circumstances there are,” MinHo takes her hands. “You have so many great things ahead of you. From time to time, you need to rest, too. You can both live for today and prepare for tomorrow without exhausting yourself, you know?”

 

Jennie heaves a sigh, eyes looking up at the sky.

 

“You know what? You look like you need a good cup of coffee,” MinHo smiles.

 

“You’re absolutely right,” Jennie giggles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Has Jennie visited today?” JiSoo asks YooA.

 

“Unfortunately, no, unnie,” YooA says. “But I heard from Manager Song that she’s been preparing herself for an interview.”

JiSoo heaves a sigh. “I see. Thanks, YooA.”

 

“I’m sorry, unnie. I tried to call her yesterday, but she’s not answering, too. She must have been really busy.”

 

“I guess she is,” JiSoo sighs again.

 

The door chimes the moment she turns around. She sees Jennie for the first time in the week. She is about to call Jennie’s attention when she notices that the girl she’s been looking forward to see seems to be having fun with a company beside her. JiSoo thinks for a second, wondering why the man beside Jennie looks familiar.

 

“Oh, there’s Jennie and Manager Song!” YooA exlcaims, almost spilling JiSoo’s milkshake. JiSoo hums in response.

 

She turns to YooA to get her drink and takes a deep breath. The moment she turns her back, Jennie calls her.

 

“JiSoo?” Jennie asks. JiSoo gathers all her confidence before turning around to face Jennie.

 

“Jennie. How have you been?”

 

Jennie’s eyes light up for a few seconds. She smiles, but JiSoo notices the anxiety hidden behind Jennie’s brown orbs. Jennie falters for a moment, heaving a long sigh, before replying to JiSoo. MinHo notices the change in Jennie’s expression. He pats Jennie’s shoulder and tells her to take another deep breath. JiSoo feels like she’s interrupted a moment between Jennie and MinHo. JiSoo doesn’t say anything anymore until Jennie recovers.

 

“I’m just… tired, I guess?” Jennie tries to smile, but instead she looks like she is on the verge of crying. JiSoo instantly gets worried, but no words come out of . So she just looks at Jennie with so much empathy.

 

“Don’t worry I’ll make you a coffee, okay?” MinHo comforts her. “Go and take a seat. I’ll be there shortly.”

 

Jennie nods and shifts her attention to JiSoo who seems to be in her own little world. “Do you mind?”

 

“Huh?” JiSoo shakes her head. “S-Sure.”

 

They walk to Jennie’s favorite spot in the coffee shop. Before taking their seats, JiSoo hesitates for a moment. “Oh, wait. I’m not third-wheeling am I?”

 

“Third-wheeling?” Jennie asks, genuinely confused. It takes ten seconds for Jennie to realize what JiSoo meant. She bursts in laughter. “Oh, no. MinHo and I-”

 

“Oh. Oh!” JiSoo says, feeling embarrassed. “J-Just making sure.”

 

Jennie bursts out laughing. It hasn't been a minute since she took her seat, but she already feels better than she did a few days ago. Jennie isn't sure if it's the place or the person in front of her that makes her feel strangely at ease.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter