Chapter 8 - sweet night

this is why I need you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

VIII

 

 

 

sweet night

 

 

 

Jennie and JiSoo strolled around the city of Seoul after their spontaneous dinner. JiSoo seemed satisfied seeing how Jennie’s face lit up when she took her first bite. Jennie told her she loved the food, the place, and the new memories she had made with JiSoo. They talked about anything that came up from their minds. Through conversations, they revealed parts of themselves. They talked about the books they’ve read, the movies and shows they’ve watched, the places they’ve been to, and the people they’ve known and met.

 

JiSoo learned that Jennie used to read a lot of books in her spare time when she was a university student, and that her favorite genres include fiction and mystery. Jennie also revealed that in high school, she disliked reading books, particularly those with thick pages, because she believed it was a waste of time and energy. However, as Jennie grew into a woman, she discovered the books to be life-changing. That was the turning point in her fascination with stories. She described to JiSoo how books had changed and altered her view of the world and the people in it. Jennie also shared her first book, which has since become her favorite. 

 

“What makes a book worth reading is not the amount of pages it has or how heavy it is when you carry it in your hands, but the story it tells and the message it imparts that entails someone’s thoughts, emotions, or ideas,” JiSoo spoke. “Stories make us think. Emotions are what make us human. And stories spark someone’s creativity to turn ideas into something that can change the world—may it leaves a small or big impact into people’s lives.”

 

“It's incredible how stories can have such a profound impact on your life without you ever realizing it,” Jennie added. “And I’m amazed by the fact that you have that magic in you, JiSoo.”

 

“I haven't read your books yet, but I'm sure you've already made a difference in someone's life.”

 

“I can already tell how passionate you are about the things you enjoy doing. JiSoo, you have a way with words. Listening to you talk made me realize how genuine you are as a person, and you don't try to be that way—you just are. And that makes a huge difference.”

 

And JiSoo seems to have grown accustomed to receiving compliments, but she has no idea why Jennie's words have had such an effect on her.

 

JiSoo remained at a loss for words after that. JiSoo has a knack with words, yet moments like this render her speechless. Jennie did that to her, but she’s definitely not complaining. 

 

By the time they decided to part ways, it was almost midnight. Neither of them wanted to end the night, but all good things must come to an end. JiSoo wanted to accompany Jennie to her apartment, but she felt it would be inappropriate given that they had just met. Instead, JiSoo asked that they exchange phone numbers in order to let one other know if they arrived home safely. She's not sure where she got the courage to do it, but she's glad she saved Jennie's phone number in her contacts.

 

Jennie wrapped JiSoo in an embrace that lasted barely a few seconds before she climbed into the taxi's backseat. A simple "thank you" was inadequate for Jennie, so she hugged JiSoo to express her gratitude for the time she had spent with her. It was her way of showing she’s looking forward for more moments like this.

 

“Thank you for tonight, JiSoo. I hope this isn’t the last time we see each other.”

 

“Thank you, too,” JiSoo smiled with her face flushed. “I’m looking forward to seeing you again. Text me when you get home, okay?”

 

And they parted ways with smiles on their faces.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You seem happy today,” Chaeyoung states. “I love it.”

 

These past few days she’s been smiling a lot. She's been sleeping better lately. Maybe that’s the reason. Or maybe not. Nonetheless she likes it. It's almost as though she's resurrected. 

 

“I know,” Jennie beams, playing with her fingernails. “A few days ago, I met someone.”

 

Chaeyoung’s mouth opens, surprise written on her face. Her phone almost falling down on her face. “Oh my God! Is this the person you said you met at JiYong’s? Spill!”

 

“It’s not what you think it is!” Jennie giggles. “I made a new friend. Her name is Kim JiSoo. And Chaeng! She’s a writer! You gotta read her books. They’re so good! I just finished reading them yesterday and-”

 

“Oh my! Someone’s got a crush!” Chaeyoung jokes. “You finally listened to me when I said you should start dating women instead.”

 

“Stop! You’re such an idiot,” Jennie rolls her eyes.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter