-Four-

Unlikely Possibility
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
4 FOUR  

High classical music slowly filled the room being occupied by him alone, laryngeal vibrato coming from the singer’s voice displayed nothing but harmony and concord. It was obvious that whoever the singer was, he was surely a professional in his field. Was because he is a hundred and one percent sure whoever was singing died a long time ago. Donghae let out a deep frustrated sigh as he tried his very best not to throw the old portable gramophone across the concrete wall.

 

Most people in their school, even outside, perceived him as a conventional person to the point of being old-school, but Donghae is nowhere near that. In fact, he likes to believe that he is a faddist, a follower of the trends and classical music just isn’t his cup of tea. Those type of music actually makes him shiver uncomfortably.

 

It has been a week since his and Heechul’s mini escapade that made him experience an intense night. The unexpected race with that jae guy—or Hyukjae (according to Heechul, his best friend, but Donghae would like to be unique)—was truly something he would not want to happen again. Call him a weakling or even a chicken but he really feared for his life at that moment. That was something way out of his comfort zone, and he made it a point that he would not even step foot near that damn place nor the person named Hyukjae.

 

“I see you are trying to break your own records, Mr. Lee,” a rough voice came from behind broke the silence and Donghae managed to prevent a very loud scoff.

 

Just like the sarcastic person that Donghae is, he slowly turned the swivel chair around, giving the newcomer a head-to-toe in an obviously teasing manner. The person remained unfazed, however.

 

“Took you long enough, Dean. How come the student managed to be in your office way before the principal? I think you need to work on your tardiness, Sir.”

 

Dean Cha sat on the wooden chair in front of the office table, in front of Donghae. His favorite student. If you know what he meant. One would easily be confused by their setup if they see them that way. Who would even have the guts to sit in the principal’s chair inside the principal’s office in front of the principal himself? Well, only Lee Donghae has those guts. Let’s just say that they are in fact, inborn.

 

“You have a terrible choice of music, Dean. It spoils my mood even further.”

 

“Mr. Lee, I am sure you are aware that what you are doing to your lecturers is totally disrespectful, right?” The dean asked him, his voice noticeably laced with surrender and deplete. Donghae did not answer and the older just continued.

 

“Three weeks ago, Professor Mun said that you walked out in the middle of the class after humiliating him in front of thirty students including yourself...”

 

“I was just wasting my time there. He can’t even differentiate common law from civil law and that should be basic.”

 

“Two weeks ago, Professor Yoon was crying her eyes out when you told her she should go back to kindergarten...”

 

“And I was not kidding nor am I taking my words back now. Even that weird kid, Henry Lau who is a freshman can explain the three legal systems better than her.”

 

“One week ago, Professor Bang walked out of the class after arguing that you disrespected him...”

 

“He was spouting nonsense, okay? Were you expecting me to just sit there and do nothing? My brain can’t even digest what he was saying.”

 

“And just thirty minutes ago, Professor Chun came rushing to the faculty room enraged. He said that you refused to work in a group and argued that you preferred to work alone...”

 

“And I still do. I still prefer to work alone. Those people I call my classmates? They are parasites... freeloaders who would dump all work to me. I already learned my lesson, Dean. Never again I would work with those people. Tell me, Dean, are we really just going to reminisce here all day about my accomplishments? Because unlike you, I don’t have all day—”

 

“Take two days off, Donghae.”

 

Donghae tensed as he could not believe his ears. With lasers coming from his eyes, he glared at the older man in front of him.

“What?”

 

“I said to take two days off from school. Listen, Donghae, I know how important school is for you and how you don’t want to miss your lessons, but it’s clearly taking a toll on you already. You are not like this, kid. You are respectful, humble, and polite—”

 

“Stop praising me after putting me off,” he cut off the principal. He clenched and unclenched both his fists in an attempt to calm himself down. The classical music in the background sure was not helping at all.

 

“I know it’s hard, Donghae. I know it’s hard to prove every single day that you are the best. And I know it’s even harder to remain on top, but kid, you are slowly destroying yourself. This—this is not right and healthy anymore.”

 

Donghae scoffed, “So, are you saying that taking two days off would solve my problems? No. It would just worsen everything. It would delay me from learning the lessons. Do you now realize the absurdity of what you have just suggested, Dean?”

 

The both of them just continued staring at each other. One pair of eyes are full of anger and disbelief, while another pair shows deep concern and worry. No one said a single word and only the soft music coming from the gramophone could be heard. The ‘staring competition’ lasted for a whole minute until the older among the two broke the silence.

 

“Your father called yesterday.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter