-Eleven-

Unlikely Possibility
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Maybe he shouldn’t have ignored the calls. Maybe he shouldn’t have enjoyed the company of Hyukjae too much. Maybe he shouldn’t have had so much fun yesterday that for a moment, he forgot his sole purpose of living: studying to prove his parents wrong.

 

You are such an idiot, Lee Donghae! You just proved them right, you prick!

 

Donghae’s emotional state bound on fruitless regret and desperation. It wasn’t the type of regret for what he did nor for what he should have done, but rather, for the things he can never do. He never felt so powerless in the face of an overwhelming despair and that’s when he realized that he was still the same seven-year-old kid whole-heartedly frightened by a single look from his father.

 

“You are such a disappointment, Lee Donghae. I wish it would finally embed in your head how useless you are as a person.”

 

I really shouldn’t have ignored the calls.

 

Donghae mentally cursed as he wordlessly accepted and took in all the harsh words his father had in store especially for him.

 

“You really shouldn’t have been born. All you bring is shame to my family.”

 

It wasn’t the usual type of desperation either. It wasn’t the loss of hope nor complete despondency. It was the desperation you felt when you just gave up hoping all in all, finally succumbing to the reality of not being able to live to his father’s standards. He gave up trying to be the younger version of Lee Donggun. He hated himself when he tried doing that. He was still fighting however, even to at least make a name for himself and not for the sake of his family. It was his last attempt really and he was aware it was a losing battle. He was in fact, the one and only son of Lee Donggun, one of the most influential personality in their country. If he even failed that last attempt, he knew he would be totally at a lost.

 

“And why weren’t you answering Yul’s calls?” The Chief Justice asked him. His voice full of spite and malice that Donghae actually felt honored. The stone-cold judge was showing reactions and emotions because of him and towards him. He must really be special in the eyes of the latter.

 

He cleared his throat, not the slightest bit afraid to meet the icy orbs of his father. “I already told you, Your Honor and my answer would still be the same. I was busy living my life.”

 

“And you think that made any sense?”

 

Donghae was done testing the waters. The Chief Justice’s anger and rage were genuine and he could only pray in silence. Pray that this would be over soon.

 

So, what really happened that put him face-to-face with his father?

 

Donghae and Heechul were walking to their second morning class. He was telling stories to his hyung about his spontaneous trip to the karaoke house with Hyukjae. His face was basically glowing and beaming with sincere happiness and the older could only listen, smile basking on his face.

 

Their room was just three doors away when Donghae heard someone shout his name.

 

“DONGHAE SUNBAENIM!”

 

He turned around and was shocked to see a huffing Henry two feet from him with his hands on his knees.

 

“What’s wrong, kiddo?” It was Heechul who asked the freshman kid.

 

“Donghae sunbaenim, you are needed at the principal’s office. Principal Cha’s order.”

 

His gray-haired best friend turned to look at him. “What did you do again, Hae?”

 

Racking his brain for some possible reasons, Donghae shrugged as he could not really think of any. He did not recall any punitive encounter with his professors and he for sure did not violate any school rules.

 

“Sunbaenim?”

 

“Just go, Hae. I’ll take your bag with you.”

 

He shook his head, “No, it’s okay, hyung. I’ll bring this with me. I don’t feel good about this one.”

 

And he should have trusted his instincts to run away from the principal room as soon and as fast as possible. Why? Because upon making his way inside, he saw Mr. Kwon talking to their principal. At that moment he knew nothing good would stem from the upcoming interaction.

 

After that, just found himself being forcefully dragged away from their university and inside the luxurious building people called the Supreme Court. He swore he saw Dean Cha’s apologetic looks but Donghae was not quite sure. Maybe the old man was sorry. Maybe he wasn’t.

 

 

“I heard from my informant that you haven’t been attending your advanced classes these days, Lee Donghae. Mind telling me the reason why?”

 

His father’s hostile voice was like a huge slap on his face. What better way to counter that than to answer with hostility as well.

 

“I have been studying law just like what you and your wife wanted for me. I have been studying hard as per your request, Your Honor. I have been trying my very best to remain as the number one student in the whole Seoul College of Law. I have been avoiding any possible distractions so as not to hinder on my studies,” Donghae’s cold orbs found that of his father’s. “Can I have just one request, Your Honor? Can you stop your nonsensical investigations on me? Would it make you feel better if I tell you the truth right now?”

 

He saw how the Honorable’s face remained stoic and he took that as his cue to continue.

 

“Yes I haven’t been attending the advanced classes you paid to teach me. Yes I have been slacking these past few weeks and that’s because I’ve been trying to live my life. I’m trying to do those things the people of my age do. But I always make sure of one thing, Your Honor. I make sure that my studies would still be my priority at the end of the day.”

 

“And you know that wasn’t enough, you useless boy! Your efforts will never be enough.”

 

“THEN STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME DO SOMETHING I WILL NEVER BE GOOD AT!”

 

He felt how his tears started to roll one by one. His emotions were overwhelming and Donghae wasn’t surprised that his outburst didn’t even faze the Chief Justice.

 

He wanted to stop this. He wanted to stop this unspoken competition between him and his parents. He wanted to stop proving his parents wrong. He was tired. He was more than tired.

 

“If I hear another complaints from your instructors that you didn’t attend your advanced classes, you will surely get it, Donghae.”

 

The familiar remote made its appearance once again as the last thing he heard from the Chief Justice were the words “Get lost and make yourself useful” before he was compellingly kicked out of the room and out of the building.

 

Tears were still streaming down his face like waterfalls as he fished out his phone. He noticed that it was already past 5 and so he dialed the latest number on his call log.

 

Please answer!

Please!

Why aren’t you answering?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter