-Fourteen-

Unlikely Possibility
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Can you please stop squirming on your seat? You’re making me regret bringing you here with me.”

 

Donghae could not decide what’s worse: bringing Hyukjae with him or bringing Hyukjae with him. Yeah! Didn’t make any sense, right? Pardon him for not being in his right mind at the moment. He already did not know what went to his mind when he asked Hyukjae to come along with him yesterday, and actually waiting inside the Chief Justice’s office with his friend just worsened his feeling.

 

He gave his taller friend a glare when he noticed him restless and really fidgety. He really couldn’t put all the blame to Hyukjae because at the end of the day, it was still his fault.

 

He heard Hyukjae gulped loudly, a major indication how nervous he must have been feeling in present time.

 

“Well, you should have regretted your decision earlier when we were still on the bus, Fishy,” Hyukjae scoffed rudely. “I don’t feel good, Hae. Can’t I just go?” the taller whined, looking at him.

 

Donghae wanted to laugh at the other’s antics but he too was feeling nauseated. He had absolutely no idea why his father wanted to talk to him again when they just talked personally not too long ago. He glanced at the gigantic antique wall clock across his father’s office table and realized they had only been waiting for twenty minutes.

 

Why does it feel like we’ve been waiting here for centuries already?

 

 

Donghae initially thought Hyukjae would calm down after some more minutes but he was wrong. If ever, the latter became even more restless. And so, he abandoned the sanity left in him as well as the single couch he was sitting on and sat beside the taller. He reluctantly took Hyukjae’s hand with his and just gave them a squeeze from time to time.

 

Hyukjae looked befuddled by his actions and was about to say something when he cut him off.

 

“Just don’t say anything and let me do this. This is the least I could do for bringing you here.”

 

His statement must have calmed the other a little as Hyukjae finally let out a grin. “Thanks, Fishy! And I’m sorry. I wanted to come with you to make you feel better yet you’re the one comforting me right now. We’re truly messed up, aren’t we?” He laughed.

 

Donghae laughed with him and nodded. “Yeah! Yeah, we are.”

 

Their laughter was interrupted when the huge classic mahogany door opened revealing the familiar face of the Chief Justice’s right hand man. Donghae noticed how the man seemed more worn out than the last time he saw him. Well, considering the amount of his work as the Chief Justice’s personal assistant and how demanding his father can be, he could only apologize in silence.

 

Upon meeting the gaze of the old man, Donghae immediately freed his hand with that of Hyukjae’s, but the latter straightaway snatched his hand back. When he looked at the other, he was just smiling while bowing deep.

 

“It’s nice to meet you again, Mr. Kwon,” Hyukjae’s greeting shocked Donghae.

 

Oh that’s right! They met each other already.

 

“Hyukjae-ssi, am I right?” Mr. Kwon kindly asked and Hyukjae nodded. The oldest in the room turned to him. “And Donghae.”

 

He slightly bowed, showing his respect but his face remained stoic. He saw how Mr. Kwon’s eyes suddenly fixed on his and Hyukjae’s entangled hands. There was an unreadable expression on the other’s face. Donghae tried to remove his hands from Hyukjae’s tight hold but the latter remained unfazed. He even gave his hand a squeeze in which he hesitantly returned.

 

“Anyway, the Honorable would be here in fifteen minutes. I will leave you guys here for a moment. I’ll just get some snacks for the two of you, kids.” And with one final smile, Mr. Kwon closed the door leaving them behind.

 

 

“I didn’t know you would bring someone with you.”

 

Donghae did not like how the Chief Justice, his own father, criticized Hyukjae without muttering a single word directed to his friend. That rude person even ignored his friend’s respectful greeting earlier.

 

He kept on reminding himself that he was with Hyukjae and that he should control himself not to lash out on the Chief Justice.

 

“Let’s just get this over with, Your Honor. Say whatever you want to say so my friend and I can leave,” Donghae’s voice was detached from any kinds of emotions. He felt Hyukjae’s grip on his hand tightened. And yes, you guessed that right! Hyukjae’s still not letting his hand go.

 

His father’s eyes were fixed on their entwined hands. Disgust and repugnance evident on those cold orbs.

 

“You already ditched your imprudent friend, I see. What is his name again? Kim Heechul?” There was a hint of mockery on his voice.

 

Donghae inwardly swallowed his anger. Heechul is probably the person he was the closest to. Hearing someone talked about his hyung with so much disdain like that set his heart ablaze. And maybe Hyukjae felt the same way as he noticed how the taller’s smile was suddenly replaced by a frown.

 

“By the way, I called you here today to remind you that the Annual Parliamentary Debate is happening in two weeks and as usual, you would participate.”

 

The Chief Justice did not ask if he wanted to join or if he was interested in joining the competition. His father just decided for him, and there was nothing new to that.

 

“Starting tonight, you will attend the extra class I paid to prepare you for the competition. That class would be for five hours every day.”

 

And again, his opinion was not asked nor acknowledged.

 

What did he say? Another extra class for five hours? Where would I get the time?

 

“But Your Honor, you are aware that I am already attending several extra classes, right?” Donghae could not help but voiced out his concern.

 

The Honorable cleared his throat, “I a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter