-Ten-

Unlikely Possibility
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hey! Hands off my books. I hate it when someone touches them.”

 

Donghae was once again interrupted from finishing his assessment paper for the month when he saw the taller guy lingering around his stacks of books. He still could not believe that he was with the annoying Lee Hyukjae inside his shared apartment with Heechul. He really shouldn’t have trusted his best friend’s judgment when it comes to things, especially when it involves him socializing. Speaking of the latter, where the hell was he when Donghae needed him the most?

 

Instead of complying with what he had said, Hyukjae even had the boldness to carelessly pull out a book from the stack. Donghae felt like exploding at that moment.

 

“IT TOOK ME TWO HOURS TO ARRANGE THEM IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER, YOU IDIOT! TWO ING HOURS!”

 

And the taller was not prepared and was caught off guard when Donghae launched the first book he got his hands on straight to the other’s head.

A loud thud resonated on the room and Hyukjae was suddenly down on the floor, clutching his head.

 

“WHAT THE HELL, HAE?! THAT’S A FREAKING ENCYCLOPEDIA.”

 

“That’s what you get for touching my things. And can you please stop shouting? It’s already 8 PM. Don’t you have work at the club?” Donghae closed his laptop after deciding that he would not get anything done as long as Hyukjae’s in the house.

 

“My boss gave me the day off and I told you that already since I arrived here.”

 

Donghae laid down on his single couch as he grabbed the lone book on the bedside table. Justice: What’s the Right Thing to Do? By Michael Sandel. His favorite book written by his favorite author about political philosophy, his favorite subject. As soon as he turned to the bookmarked page, he saw Hyukjae staring at him from his peripheral view.

 

“I know that book! I saw Leeteuk hyung reading that before.”

 

“It’s a great book, want to borrow them some time?”

 

The taller chuckled, shaking his head. “Nah. You know I can’t stand reading even a single sentence.”

 

“Whatever. We still have some snacks and juices on the pantry I think. Just get some if you want. Eat and don’t disturb me!”

 

“Nice!” And Hyukjae already bolted out of his room. He heard some rummaging on their kitchen and Donghae just shook his head, a smile threatening to make its appearance.

 

Having Hyukjae over was definitely something new and maybe something he should get used to in the future. Donghae hated to admit it but he and the slightly taller man grew closer and closer each passing weeks. He learned how to tolerate his presence, courtesy of his best friend, Heechul. He also learned how to reply to his text messages, courtesy of his cousin, Kyuhyun.

 

And you guessed that right! His younger cousin met Hyukjae several days ago when the latter insisted to tag along during his trip to the children’s grand park with Kyuhyun. Hyukjae kept on insisting that it was their ‘special place’ and thus, no one can go with Donghae if Hyukjae does not allow. Another weird thing to say yet it brought warmth to him, surprisingly.

 

He looked up when he heard Hyukjae returned to his room and he scoffed upon seeing the taller.

 

“You didn’t empty our pantry, did you?”

 

Hyukjae chuckled as he sat on the couch beside him. He placed down the food he brought one by one and Donghae could only sigh. Seemed like his trip at the grocery would be happening sooner than later.

 

“Here!” Hyukjae offered him a carton of strawberry milk and he appreciatively accepted it, muttering a low “Thanks.”

 

They munched on the snacks in a comfortable silence when Donghae remembered something.

 

“Yah! Don’t think I forgive you already for calling me a betrayer for one week and for accusing me of things,” he pointed at the other accusingly. Hyukjae smirked, downing another carton of strawberry milk. He should not forget to write lots of strawberry milk on his grocery list.

 

“Who said I was sorry? I was not.”

 

“You are seriously the greatest I have ever met.”

 

Hyukjae squinted his eyes at him. “Greater than your cousin, Kyuhyun?”

 

“Definitely!”

 

Donghae expected the other to feign being offended. What he did not expect was the other to pump his fist in the air with a huge smile on his face.

 

“Okay! Assa! I knew I was better than your cousin.”

 

“You’re also a weirdo, in case you have forgotten.”

 

“Hey! That’s below the belt already. I’m offended,” Hyukjae truly looked offended and Donghae was more than bewildered. Should they really call Heechul’s dad who is a psychiatrist? Donghae is more than willing to shoulder all the expenses.

 

“So, you’re okay with me calling you an but not a weirdo?”

 

“You know what, you’re talking too much, Fishy,” Hyukjae this time opened a bag of potato chips. “Less talky-talk, more solvey-solve.”

 

“Okay first of all, stop eating. Heechul hyung would bring home some dinner for us. Second, I’m not solving anything, I’m reading and third, did you just quote Gina Linetti from Brooklyn Nine Nine?”

 

“Yeah, I did. What’s it to you? I love that series thank you very much.”

 

“I’m gonna rip your head off!” Donghae smirked and Hyukjae pointed at him with sparkling eyes.

 

“OMG! You just quoted Rosa.”

 

“I love that series thank you very much.”

 

And they found themselves laughing at each other’s silliness. They jokingly argued using lines from the series when Hyukjae pointed out that his appearance resembled that of Rosa Diaz.

 

“But on the second thought, you’re more of an Amy Santiago. You both are nerd s and love to have things under control.”

 

“And you’re hands down Jake Peralta. You’re both annoying,” Donghae closed the book after reading two chapters. He noticed that the other went silent and so he looked at him. Hyukjae’s face was morphed into something Joker-like. The other was looking at him with a broad smile and a playful gaze.

 

“What now?”

 

“You know that Jake and Amy got together in the end, right? I didn’t know you want to marry me, Lee Donghae. I’m honored.”

 

“And I’m disgusted. Get off my couch and throw your garbage on the trash. I just got this dry-cleaned, you dog!” And then he threw the stray banana peel on Hyukjae’s head.

 

“Okay okay!”

 

 

Heechul arrived an hour after and they finished dinner in record time. Donghae kept on complaining to the older about the uninvited guest and Hyukjae kept on complaining about the unwelcoming owner.

 

The gray-haired returned to his own room after threatening them that he would kick them both out if he hears them bickering again.

 

And once again, Donghae found himself in his room still with a grinning Lee Hyukjae on his couch.

 

“Tell me, you don’t have plans to go home, do you?”

 

“Bingo!” Hyukjae clapped his hands and Donghae shushed him.

 

“Shut up! You want to get kicked out by Heechul hyung? He was not kidding earlier for your information.”

 

“Jokes aside, can I ask you something, Fish

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter