-Fifteen-

Unlikely Possibility
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Having a fight with Hyukjae was something Donghae did not want to happen again. The fight wasn’t anything light unlike all their other bickers and playful squabbles but it was rather a serious one. It was true that Hyukjae and he had argued a lot, almost a part of their daily routine actually. Most of the time, they argued about the most nonsensical things and usually ended with either him or Hyukjae wincing in pain. It was Hyukjae mostly.

 

The fight that they were currently in would probably be their biggest fight yet. But, what was it all about?

 

It was when the Chief Justice demanded for Hyukjae to talk to him alone.

 

The talk happened three days ago but since Hyukjae had been very stubborn not to spill the details to him, he refused to talk to the taller guy. Yeah, they still went on to meet with each other after his afternoon classes but it always resorted to him avoiding Hyukjae’s whines and complains. For a while, he thought that Hyukjae would finally give in and tell him everything, like he always does. But that was not the case, however.

 

 

“Just listen and talk to him, Hae. Maybe what they talked about was something bad and Hyuk doesn’t want you to worry about him,” Heechul reasoned out to him one evening but Donghae refused to listen to the older. If ever, it just irritated him further.

 

“That doesn’t make any sense, hyung. I think I have the right to know since it was between my father and my friend.” Donghae was conscious how childish he must have had sounded but the unsettling feeling in his chest just would not go away. His father might have had threatened his friend for all he knew, and he was still clueless and unaware.

 

He saw how Heechul sighed from across the room.

 

“Hae, just like what you have said, maybe it’s something between Hyukjae and your father. Think about it for a moment then look back on your actions,” Heechul’s voice was laced with pure concern that he couldn’t help but listen. “You’ve been ignoring Hyukjae for three days now and as much as it hurts me seeing you two like that, I know it hurts you and Hyukjae more.”

 

Donghae groaned, refusing to meet the older’s eyes. Heechul was probably judging his stubbornness and he hated to admit and show that the older was right. Ignoring Hyukjae was perhaps one of the hardest things to do, especially when the taller became a significant figure in his life. And especially when he came to realize just how much he likes that goddamn Lee Hyukjae.

 

“I know I’m being unreasonable right now, but I can’t help but worry, hyung. Can you blame me? My father is not exactly the nicest person in the world. How can I not be anxious?”

 

“I understand, Hae, but please trust Hyukjae. I know you don’t trust your father because honestly, I don’t as well, but at least have faith in Hyuk. Talk to him, Hae. And maybe—maybe he just need some more time before he tells you what your father needed from him.”

 

Donghae did not know when Heechul sat beside him but he could not help but leaned in to the other’s warmth. Heechul started playing with his hair and Donghae instantly felt a thousand times better.

 

“Can I expect you to understand the situation and talk to him?” Heechul whispered, hand not leaving his hair. Donghae nodded and he saw from his peripheral view that the older smiled.

 

“That’s good.”

 

 

Since when did we get this awkward being with each other?

 

Donghae could not help but let out a low groan as he glared at the unsuspecting Hyukjae on the old metal swing beside him. When he asked Hyukjae to meet up with him on the park near the bubble tea shop, he didn’t expect the other would immediately agree. But what he didn’t expect was that the other was capable of not talking to him. Hyukjae was humming a tune every now and then but still, no words were exchanged.

 

Donghae isn’t used to situation like this so he clearly had no idea what to do nor what to say. He knew he had to at least apologize for his childishness but he felt his tongue tied inside his mouth. His heart was hammering against his ribcage and he started to regret calling for the older to meet with him at 11 in the night. Maybe he should have just slept the anxiety and prolonged the agony but he can no longer do that.

 

Their current setup became so unbearable that Donghae finally decided to say something.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

It was nothing more than a mere whisper yet it held so much emotions that Donghae had to stop himself from running away. He averted his eyes when he felt Hyukjae looked at him and just decided to settle his gaze on the concrete floor. He could no longer take those deep brown eyes which was staring at him with what he assumed as sincerity and longing.

 

When he heard Hyukjae chuckled, Donghae unconsciously let out a sigh of relief.

 

“Was that the right way to apologize, Lee Donghae? By not looking at the person you felt sorry for? I think you can do better than that.”

 

Can I strangle this bastard?

 

Nope. You’re the one at fault here, Donghae. Just bear with him please.

 

Just one slap on the face? No? Okay.

 

Despite the overwhelming beating of his heart, Donghae’s almond brown eyes intentionally met Hyukjae’s deep brown ones. The other’s beautiful orbs contained a tinge of mischievousness but it was overpowered by sincerity and Donghae knew at that exact moment, he was forgiven.

 

“I’m sorry, okay? I knew I shouldn’t have ignored you for days. I was being childish and stubborn and Heechul hyung made me realize how unfair I was to you.” Donghae bit the inside of his cheek. “I won’t bother you again for not telling me what the meeting was all about. You can tell me if you want but if you really don’t, I understand. I’ll try to understand.”

 

Silence. That was not something you would usually witness whenever Donghae and Hyukjae are together. Donghae knew Hyukjae hated the silence but maybe that was what they needed at the moment. Donghae had the time to reflect on his own words and Hyukjae had the time to think and ponder what to say in return.

 

When Hyukjae stood up, Donghae thought that the other was leaving. But instead, the taller stood in front of him making him look up.

 

“You know I forgave you and I will always forgive you, Fishy. I just want to ask you something,” Hyukjae said. “Why do you want to know so much? I mean, I’m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter