chapter four

This stupid Love.

Kim Jaein.

A rose that blooms among the thorns (or weeds). A red rose that stands out the most among the plain greens.

I think that’s a way to describe her beauty. She must’ve done something respectable in her past life that Heaven blessed her with everything – from a good family background to grades to reputation and a decent romantical life. A princess. A belle.

In which compared to me, Han Hyesoo – I am nothing. If she’s a bold red rose, I’m probably a tiny baby’s breath which blend in the background (together with the red rose), nothing strikingly pretty or something. A basic wallflower.

I remember back then in high school when she transferred to our school for the very first time.

Mino came rushing into our classroom with his cheeks bright red (doesn’t know whether it’s from the run or when he saw Jaein), announcing to the whole class with his loud voice that there’s a new student in our class and it’s a pretty one.

The boys of our class went nuts as they scrambled off to Mino to get more information out of him. The poor guy was drowned and cornered by a group of immature, hormonal-driven teenage boys with Chanyeol being the loudest of the bunch. (that made Surin mad till today)

All except for Sehun.

Sehun really don’t care much about the girls as much as I care about boys during my adolescent years. I mean, teenage boys (and college guys) are…

It’s really that bad that I couldn’t find words to describe them. They are another species that even Charles Darwin couldn’t explain about them.

But I guess this is where the girls in our class (including the past me) really fond about him. He doesn’t go around pranking or making rated-18 jokes to girls (Mino got slap and hit multiple times by the girls but that doesn’t stop him because the girls kind of like it); he doesn’t try that weird trend (the kabedon) on girls (Chanyeol got knee’d real hard on his prized manhood for doing that to Surin); he’s not rough with the girls ( I remember Jongin push me quite hard and I had bruises on my forehead and on my knees. It was during a football match. I guess his competitive nature got him really bad)

And thankfully the girls in our class isn’t as bad as the girls from other classes. They flock to our classroom like pigeons during our break time. It’s kind of annoying to us (but the guys are grateful to Sehun) to the point we had to request different break time. We just treat him as our friend.

Sehun is truly the star of our class and our year.

When Ms Lee introduced Jaein to our class, the boys gave a very warm and enthusiastic welcome as they’re excited to have someone pretty in our class. (heard from Surin that they were trying to compete with the other class’s belle to see who has the prettiest girl. It’s ing stupid, I know.)

That’s the first time I saw stars in Sehun’s eyes, but they were shining for someone else which broke my broke my heart a little. And for obvious reasons, the both of them knew each other well even before she transfers to our school.

As expected, Ms Lee assigned Jaein to me. As class rep, I was supposed to show how the ropes are done since she explained to me that Jaein moved back from overseas and has to adjust the way Korean students live their life in a very typical Korean high school.

And, Jaein wasn’t (isn’t) really fond of me.

Sometimes, during committee board meeting (I’m still figuring out how a brand-new student could join the board fast. Usually, the board doesn’t open up to new students), because she was the secretary (again, how she’s the secretary? I’ve been aiming for that position since the start of my senior year) and I was the treasurer (the both of us had to work a lot together so that the board could run smoothly), she, sometimes, pretend that she doesn’t get my documents or doesn’t hear me, talking to her, at all.

I don’t get what is her problem with me. I used to think that it’s just all in my head not thinking clearly while being stress between my studies and the board. But I don’t think I’m wrong.

There’s a really big contrast in the way she treats me and the way she treats other.

Surin used to say that Jaein is jealous of me; jealous of what I have which sounds absolutely absurd. What part of me she’s jealous of? Perhaps she didn’t get the memo that she was crowned (officially) as the school belle or she has every scholarship offer to study overseas lined up for her despite my exam results is better than hers.

I have nothing, compare to Jaein.

*

Sehun thought long about what Hyesoo said yesterday at the newsletter room.

About acting like a real couple, not only in front of Jaein but also in behind the scene. It’s what she wanted the most. He thought about her request makes a lot of sense. If he truly wants to Jaein to like him back, they would need to go all out in their acting to convince Jaein that they are truly dating.

He hasn’t dropped the news to his close friends. He thought of a lot of ways to tell them but his mind is blank because the guilt that is trapping him under. The guilt towards Jongin as how he is brave enough to hurt him this way when he knows that Jongin really loves Jaein.

The day before they move back to Seoul, Jaein told him to give up on her; she’s getting married soon, she doesn’t want anything to come in between him and Jongin since Sehun is going to be his best man.

He doesn’t know what to feel about being Jongin’s best man. He knows Jongin doesn’t have brothers and he consider Sehun as his own blood brother. He didn’t want to wish when he sees Jaein walking down the aisle, hoping he’s standing in Jongin’s place instead.

Loving someone is messy. When you love, you need to be willing to put a price on it.

He didn’t ask Hyesoo to become his (fake) girlfriend cause Jaein would rile up or because they’ve known each other since like their first year of secondary school.

Because Hyesoo is his kindred spirit.

They’re the same but still different in another sense. Even though the Hyesoo now is much more outspoken and courageous (she’s always been outspoken, always been brave), yet she can understand people’s feeling better than he does. He noticed how she’s looking out for Jongin even though Jongin is not close with her. And, that leads to she’s faithful to the people she loves. Chanyeol sometimes told him how he’s truly grateful for someone like Hyesoo to be his friend. He never fails to mention that even if Chanyeol has a black belt and much bigger in size, Hyesoo stands up for him whenever someone tries to slander him even though he could just knock those s down easily.

Chanyeol says the scene is quite adorable. Imagining a little kitten meowing angrily.

Now, he knows where she got that temper from.

Sehun had gotten Hyesoo’s class schedule for today last night when he texted and asked her about her schedule and what time she usually leaves the house. He thought of his friends always surprising their girlfriends by showing up in front of their door with breakfast in their hand. So, he thought of giving it a go since Hyesoo request that they would need to act like a real-life couple.

He woke up early to get them breakfast, those sweet pancakes and fish-shaped bun, as well as coffee because they sold out very fast. He heard from Chanyeol that Hyesoo likes to eat something sweet in the morning to keep her energetic for the rest of the day. He never woken up that early for a girl, not even Jaein.

He thought he would see Hyesoo’s surprise face and expect her to jump up and down in happiness when she saw the food in his hand. Instead, her raging father rush outside the house and chases him with a baseball bat. He was scared as hell, it’s just like a rampant big bull charging towards him.

“Appa!”

Hyesoo cries out and run towards her father, stopping her father from swinging the bat at Sehun.

She looks at Sehun, then back to her father as she gave her father an unimpressed face, “Appa, didn’t I tell you not to bring out the bat?”

Sehun took in slowly at what he’s seeing right now. Hyesoo is still in her pajamas: her pink bunny pajamas to be exact. Her dark wavy hair cascades along her shoulder, her cheeks red from the embarrassment her dad is giving. He didn’t like that her eyes captivated him for a moment there when she stared at him before she broke and turned back to her father.

Sehun don’t really blame her father chasing him with a baseball bat because he was pacing in front of her house. Any protective father would’ve been suspicious about an unknown stranger loitering around his house for a long time.

“Hyesoo, who is he?” Her father raises his eyebrow at her, shooting her the very typical father question whenever they see their daughters hang out with any male species.

Hyesoo darts back and forth at her father and Sehun and he can sense that she’s hesitating on what to tell her dad as she fidgeted her fingers on the hem of her shirt. Sehun thought it will be a good idea to ‘man’ up and introduce himself, rather than letting the lady do.

“I’m Oh Sehun, Hyesoo’s boyfriend.” Sehun steps forwards, offering Mr. Han a handshake.

The father just stares at him, stunned by what he said as Hyesoo gives her dad a wry smile, more like a grimace.

Then all the ladies in the house just popped out of at the door.

*

Sehun sides a glance towards Hyesoo; her cheeks round from eating the pancake, he could hear her humming quietly along to the radio. Seems like someone is in a good mood.

After the whole morning fiasco, Hyesoo told Sehun to just wait in the car before he was bombarded by her family. The scene of her trying to pull her dad back into the house puts a smile on his face because she was so tiny compared to her father. She takes after her mother miniature height.

She tilted her head right and left when an upbeat song came on the radio. Even though, they’re not talking to each other but Sehun found comfortable in the silence; heck, he’s even feeling great and how uplifted he felt. Sehun takes one look at her, a small smile crept onto his lips. Is this what he’s been missing out during his school years with her? He forgot the feeling of hanging out with her before that summer. He’s a total jerk.

He felt a tad sorry by dragging Hyesoo into this situation. She has nothing to do with them from the start. But it’s too late to turn back now because he begins to slowly like their quiet moments during the car rides.

*

This morning disaster has sent me into a frenzy state in my mind. I never expect Sehun to pop out in front of my house from nowhere. No wonder he asked for my class schedules and what time I usually leave the house. I’m still feeling a slight feverish now that I practically announced to my whole family (and our neighbours, if they’re spying on us) that I have a (fake) boyfriend.

What’s the scariest thing, is that Appa didn’t even utter a single word, even when I leave home. He just kind of stare at his coffee mug as if there’s a fairy magically appeared right in front of him. If I didn’t stop Appa in time, Sehun’s face probably in red and blue blotches, a bloody nose and a few missing teeth. Maybe I shouldn’t tell Appa (and my whole family) I have a boyfriend.

Sehun and I didn’t discuss whether or not we should tell our family but since the cat is out of the bag, we’ll just have to go along with the situation now.

Mama reassured me with that very big smile on her face that everything is going okay with Appa and she is going to give Appa the talk if he oppose the relationship. He needs time to sink in that his beloved youngest daughter has a boyfriend now. Hyerin and Joohyun, like mischievous twin, gave me a suggestive look, wiggling their eyebrows.

But the sweet pancakes and custard buns made it up that I almost forget about the whole morning fiasco.

When Sehun pulls up at the parking lot, he looks at me, “So what’s our next move?”

“What do you mean what’s our next move?” I said blankly, “of course going to class, what else.”

Sehun gave me a funny look, “What I mean is, as your boyfriend, should I walk you to class or how, princess?”

My mind went blank for a moment. I haven’t thought of how we should play this. I have no prior experience to this. Sehun leans back in his seat, facing towards me with a slight smirk on his face. He must be enjoying teasing me so much.

My cheeks felt warm as I sat there and I think about what couples usually; my mind went through details I read on romance novels but they usually went straight to making out in the car and that’s not what I’m going for!

“Just do whatever you want!” I blurted out in embarrassment, stepping out of the car, feeling the spring breeze hitting my face.

Sehun came right in front of me with hand stretching towards me, waiting for me to place my hand in his. His slender fingers curl with mine; it’s not a full ‘hand-holding’, my palms are all sweaty and clammy and I really appreciate that he gives them room to breathe. I look down at our laced fingers as I could feel my heart is beating too loud and I noticed that everyone is staring at us. Of course, everyone knows who Oh Sehun is.

Months ago, words spread around the campus that there’s a law student that transferred from Harvard and apparently, he’s very hot. My mind immediately thought of him, but I just shrugged it off. No way in his right mind that he would abandon his dream and come back home.

Until recently.

I didn’t like the attention we were receiving. I could feel gazes of strangers and their whispers so I lean my head onto his arm, using him as my shelter. And as he senses my discomfort with the attention, he pats my head gently, reassuring me.

That tingling sensation came back again. The same one when I was back in school years ago. When we reach my class, he stares at me with his unreadable eyes, like he’s hesitating. But then without me noticing, he swoops in and give a light kiss on the skin at the corner of my lips. I could hear everyone surrounding us gasp.

During the lecture, my mind was so hazy and everything was like blurred moments as my brain keep on rewinding back to the light kiss. (or peck). My fingers keep lingering onto the skin where his lips touch as if it’s burning.

I was bombarded with Surin’s endless questions and had to endure her squealing like she and Chanyeol had waited for this moment and damn, she was so proud that her match-making skill has finally succeed. I think one part of her is relief that she doesn’t have to break up with Chanyeol cause of that stupid oath she swore before.

“It’s like one of those slow-burn au fictions!” she says dreamily, and then proceed to text to Chanyeol, probably telling the ‘good news’. Why does she even compares us with fictional characters and their unrealistic plot of romance?

I guess the gospel is being spread around the whole campus. Words spread around here fast; soon, people will flood the newsletter confession section.

I smiled with my knuckles hovering my lips; this is more than what I bargain for.

Somehow, I want to anticipate for what’s coming next and I’m surprise as hell that I’m looking forward to more moments like this.

 

 


I rewrote the whole chapter because I wasn't satisfied with the previous one. Writing is very challenging for me. :(