chapter nine

This stupid Love.

They say when you fall in love, you take in the all the good with the bad. That’s why your mama warn you not to fall in love blindly.

Is Sehun like this? When he falls in love, does he fall hard? His mama isn’t there to warn him not to fall too deep. His phone vibrates on the table, again. I see the screen went bright and glimpse at it for a second, but I managed to know who has been sending messages to him.

Jaein.

Sehun frowned at his phone as if it is the one that keeps on bothering him. He heaved a frustrated sigh and typed heatedly before locking his phone and putting it into silent mode. Our summer break has finally begun, a semester has passed, our exams are finally done, so I should be thrilled about a 2 months’ long break, right? No, I am not really looking forward to this summer. Sehun is going to attend summer classes back to Harvard the entire summer and his family is going with him. He said it’s the best for them, for his sister. They’re leaving this Sunday.

He looked at me with an apologetic smile, saying that he had this planned long before we even met. I supported whatever decisions he makes as long as he is happy, and I am really supportive for him, reaching even higher. But I can’t really help it that I’ll be spending the entire summer without him since he has been really good – I mean, really, really, good – to me the past 2 weeks since my outburst at the restaurant that night. And, that made my heart swells so much. I can’t believe I actually going to miss him.

And it doesn’t help when Kyungsoo plays the sad version of Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Ray. I felt like he’s teasing me (which he usually does). Sehun felt sorry for leaving me the summer alone so he wanted to take me out on a date. A date where we don’t really need to fake in front of everyone else (maybe except Kyungsoo). A date where we enjoy ourselves.

“You know, your sister’s boyfriend keeps on staring at our table?” Sehun darted his eyes over my shoulder, looking at the counter as I did the same as well. Kyungsoo is standing there with his pastel blue gingham apron my sister gifted him when he first opened his café. His eyes were owl-like, probably studying Sehun and quietly doing a boyfriend assessment in his head. I know he can’t help it. The poor guy was shocked when I entered into his café, introducing Sehun as my boyfriend. He’s always looking out for me when my sister isn’t. I wanted to say like a big brother but that’s kind of disgusting when he and my sister are practically engaged. So, yeah, he’s doing his job. Looking out for me; been doing that since my high school years.

I stuck my tongue at Kyungsoo like a 5-year-old kid, grinning at him shaking him before disappearing into the kitchen, “don’t mind him,” I turned back to Sehun, dipping my grilled cheese sandwich into my tomato soup, “He can be weird sometimes.”

I eyed at the burnt cheesecake and the curry puff hungrily. I wanted to try them out, they’re new on the menu but I’m coming down with a sore throat and a potential flu, Sehun doesn’t let me have a bite while he’s been torturing me by eating in front of him. I should’ve snuck a bite when he went to the washroom. “I think you shouldn’t come tomorrow.” He said, his long fingers brushing lightly against mine when I tried to sneak a little piece of the cheesecake, teasing smile shadowing onto his lips.

I made a face at him which he just laughs at it, I shake my head, “There’s already so little of us volunteering for tomorrow’s workshop.” My throat kind of feeling scratchy, “Each of us are already doing 3 people’s work, at least.” To say that I’m annoyed as hell with our current situation is an understatement because we have people pulling out at the very last minute and I can’t say no to them. What if it they actually have emergencies? Why do I have to be a secretariat (a-ing-gain) for this workshop?

“Why are people such douchebags? You should’ve been firmer on them. Learn to say no.” he probed his right elbow on the table, breaking off a relatively large piece of my grilled cheese as I let out a loud hey at him. He already has all the good stuff while I’m surviving off on bread and soup. “Yeah, thanks for pointing that out” I grumbled under my breath, “And stop taking my ! That’s a fairly large piece you have there!”

I know I could just go back into the kitchen and make myself a few more but I’m very protective over my food. These are not for sharing.

Sehun smirked, “See? You have no problem telling me to back off.” He announced it like it’s a-matter-of-fact.

I rolled my eyes. I have no problem telling him to back off because we both knew each other. I’m not good at telling strangers (people I don’t really know) to back off. Then, his phone chimed with a new message, again. And, his fingers hovered over the screen, hesitating to reply to her messages or not.

Sighing, I put the whole sandwich into my mouth. Although I appreciate Sehun standing by my side, I can’t be the reason that him and his friends are not talking in terms. Even all the s Jaein has given me, she’s practically still his friend and also, the person he loves the most. Love really makes everyone blind and forgiving. I know Sehun isn’t the type of person to stay mad for a very long time, even if you’re the love of his life.

“Sehun,” I called, his eyes flit to mine, “Don’t worry about me. I’m fine already.” giving him a bright smile.

He shakes his head, “Jaein needs to apologise to you after what she’s done. Jongin and I have been talking – ,”

“I’m fine!” I cut him off abruptly, swirling the soup with my spoon, “whether she wants to apologise or not, I don’t care anymore. I’m fine. Besides, you can’t force someone to apologise, it just makes the whole looks insincere.”

Sehun didn’t say anything and just stared at me with his dark eyes. I sighed again and patted his hand.

“Can we get going? I want to tune in early. We’ve got a long day tomorrow.”

For a few second, only then Sehun nodded his head and didn’t say anything which made me worried there but when he went ahead and wanted to pay for the food, the both of us kind of wrestled in front of Kyungsoo oppa, who just did nothing but stick out his palm, waiting for whoever’s money. I was sure Sehun is back to his usual self again. When I looked back for him at the entrance of the café, I caught him typing on his phone eagerly with a small smile on his face. The only smile I know that he ever gives to that one special girl. And, my heart pinched at the sight of that.

My two-weeks of “honeymoon” is over. I can’t wish for more. In the end, we’re only a fake couple with a boyfriend having an unrequited-love-issue. Nothing more than that.

*

“Can the weather get any hotter?”

I turned my head to the side with a cooling fan blowing at the highest level in my hand, and faced a girl from the debate club as she slapped a cooling pack onto her sweaty neck.

I could only groan in reply, I do not have the energy to talk. The sun is literally burning the hell out of us and half of the team, both clubs are in a serious heat . Most of them went into the school’s infirmary while I just sat down after participating a game (again) that I nearly, nearly, black the out. I was supposed to play only 2 games, but instead, it went on to 3 then to 4. The game that I just finished was the 5th and I don’t know if I can take it any longer. My throat isn’t helping the situation any better. It keeps on feeling tingling and tingling and after lunch, I felt like I ate a sandpaper. Swallowing water or even my saliva is aching. Not to mention, I feel hot and cold at the same time.

Sehun is in the same situation as I am. Replacing all of our team members in the game but he tackled every obstacle like he was born doing this. You should see the way his skin glistened under the sun and how he became golden after all those runs. Did I mentioned that I was captivated when he played with the kids? But man, he’s grumpy as today. I remember his face went all stony when he stared at me with those dark eyes. Everytime I told him I am fine, his nose flared as he keeps his mouth pressed tightly into a thin line. I know this expression well enough that I vividly remember a few times he was like this.

When one of his team members screwed up a simple argument during one of the debates when he taught the guy over and over again.

When Jaein confessed she screwed up my scholarship.

When he found me walking at night around campus after a study session alone.

After our little fight (it’s just him yelling at me while I nodded my head), we didn’t try to talk at all. I tried searching for the guy but he just disappeared into thin air, only to appear during the games.

I felt a presence looming over me as I peeked with one eye with black dots swarming around my vision, I blinked hard again to refocus, Joohyun standing next to me with her bright red cheeks, smiling apologetically at me. My brain instantly went on trigger of a flight or fight response. I know that smile. Joohyun is about to ask me to participate in another game to replace a guy from the debate club (or our club? I’m can’t recognise people at this point already) went to the infirmary with a group of the red aid society carrying him.

“Why don’t we just cancel the last game? Everyone’s pretty out at this point.”

“We can’t. The kids are pretty pumped up for the last game already.” She said as she points to a horde of the rascal changing into their dark clothes, waiting for the water balloon fight. I squint my eyes at them. Yeah, they’re pretty excited alright and is unfazed by the damn sun. How these kids have that much energy? Damn, must be nice to young.

“I’m on my period, cousin.” I lied. I wanted to tell I’m not feeling so well but that’ll earn me a yell from her and the last thing I want is to have someone nag in my ears when I already had them this morning from a particular person.

“Come on, please,” she begged with her hand rubbing together, like she’s summoning a genie or something, “Everyone is signing up for the water fight.”

I sat there completely in silence. I simply do not have the energy to that nor I’m interested in getting myself wet. I didn’t bring extra clothing. Joohyun slumped and sighed at the sight of me, rubbing a finger between her brows,

“Okay, I’ll buy you a ticket to The Weeknd’s concert.”

I peeked out an eye. Still not good enough.

“I’ll treat you to a full saloon treatment, with manicure and all.”

Silence

“I’ll buy you that expensive watercolour set and that overpriced bullet journal book you wanted!” she gritted her teeth as I smiled weakly at her. I wanted to go on a full-on smirk, but I was literally am tired to do that.

“Alright-o. I want that navy colour one with gold foil celestial bodies printed on the cover.” I added as I grinned at her scowling at me. The journal is expensive as , I intended to save up as much as I could. Damn the currency exchange.

The journal and all the other things are worth the heat I’m about to get.

 

*

 

No. They are so not worth it.

I looked to my right to see a hyper kid from my group ruthlessly threw a water balloon at a girl as she shrieked out unprettily, doing the same to him. No one even bother to throw a water balloon at me, I got a few splashes from the other facilitators but that’s it. All the kids in my group jumped on this chance to ambush their friends. No one is going to bother a pathetic, old facilitator (me) that is sitting down on the grass, trying her hardest not to faint under the boiling sun, catching a breath for a moment.

My head is literally splitting right now, I could see black dots swimming around in my vision, no matter how hard I tried to blink back, the black dots double in numbers. My throat is aching right now, I felt a wave of nausea hitting me when I stood up. Maybe I need to good vomit to make the ache all go away but I know that’s bull. But I hate throwing up. When a wind breezed by, I immediately curled my arms around myself and crouch down. It’s that damn cold and my wet t-shirt isn’t helping anything at all.

I breath in and out through my nose harder to make all the ache go away.

Then, an alarm blasted from the megaphone I could see Sehun is holding, the sound piercing through the screams and shouts of the kids. The game is over as everyone is heading towards where Sehun, Chanyeol and Joohyun is standing.

“Yall better run! Last place will have to clean the field!” Chanyeol shouted through the megaphone before he gave an evil grin to us. I hate this so much.

“Come on!” I heard a voice shouted behind my back.

Before I knew it, a girl from my group grabbed my hand and dragged my , running towards where our group is forming right now. How is this kid still having so much damn energy? I seriously felt like I could just pass out right here right now because my head is splitting even more, and there are black dots in my vision, making the world spins under me.

The last thing I remember before the world blacking out, was Sehun frantically running and pushing everyone that is crowding around me.

 

 


*peeks out from the curtain*

Hi yall :D Sorry that I had to take around 2 weeks break from updating because I was having an author's block. I have to admit it's kind of hard to write the progress of their relationship. 

And besides, I have to study and do my assignments, and done a lot of reading. And my finals are coming up. 

Plus, I have something to tell. I'm going to end this story around 16 or 17 chapters. It's not a long one because I don't have the time to write up to 30 chapters. So I'll wrap it up quickly because I have a few new ideas for a new storyline!

Have a good week ahead!