Playing With Destiny

PLAYING WITH DESTINY

 

 

Five years ago...

 

"No, Father.  I don't want to leave. All my friends are here. How do you expect me to survive in London all alone?" I strongly protested against my father. He was sitting at his Italian granite desk signing paper after paper while listening to me ranting at him. For the nth time, he caught me changing my majors again. He wanted me to study business.  Even though, I always wanted to study fashion design,. I took Business Management to appease my father.

The first year of business studies was tolerable. I barely passed the semester.  Of course, my father wasn't happy about my scores. 

I wished he was like the cliche chairman of a company you often see on kdramas but, he was always hands on with me.  He personally takes care of everything about me no matter how busy he is. When he discovered I changed my major to fashion designing, he confiscated my apartment and forced me to live with him in the mansion again. I had no choice but to obey him. I moved back in to calm his anger and to win back his trust.

Today is different. He has reached his limit.  I can't reason with him anymore.

"I've already prepared everything, Sandara. Go home and pack your things." Father stopped signing the papers in front of him and set it aside.  He finally looked me in the eye.

He called me Sandara. He only calls me by my full name when he gets really disappointed with me. I was about to argue more when his phone rang.  It was his secretary.  It was a brief conversation. A few seconds later, Teddy, my cousin walked in.

"What have you done this time, my dear cousin?" Teddy asked teasingly.  It seems everyone in the family thnks I'm always the troublemaker.

"Nothing worse than your womanizing habit, my dear cousin." I bit back at him. He just ignored me and talked to my father.

"These are the top five trainees in the agency, Uncle.  I need your approval for their future development." Teddy handed the files over to my father.  He flipped over the documents and thought for a while.  I was surprised when he passed me the files.  Out of curiosity, I scanned the folders one by one.

"What do you want me to do with these?"

Father always try to get me involved in the company whenever he has the opportunity like this one.  He insisted I should learn the ropes of the business while I'm still young.

"I want your opinion regarding those trainees."

"But, this is Teddy's job. Why should I get involved?" I returned the documents to Teddy. He's already used to our father-daughter banter.

"You can leave for now, Teddy.  I'll sign the documents later.". It was not always a good sign when Father gets me alone in his office.  Without a word, Teddy disappeared to the door.

Father straightened on his leather chair deep in his thoughts.  The atmosphere had become serious. 

"Do you always have to argue with me, Sandara?  Can't you, at least for once be a good daughter and do what I asked of you?  Everything of these will be yours soon.  When are you going to understand how important it is to start involving yourself as early as possible?  There's so much to learn, Sandara.  You have to grow up faster than anyone else. You're the only one I can count on.  I'm not getting any younger-"

"Father." I cut him off. He's using the same technic once again.  "You're just 54.  You can still make babies."

"Just do what I asked you, Sandara! It's very simple. Choose one damn person in the file. And when you're done, get ready to leave the country." 

Oh, shoot.  I really pissed him off this time.  I'd better behave or else I'll end up on the streets penniless.

I chose a folder randomly.  The blown up photo in the first page was of a skinny guy smirking at me.  I didn't bother reading the details written about the guy.  If Father will not let me do whatever I want, I'll be irresponsible for the last time.

"Father, I want to make a deal with you. If you let me marry this guy, I'll take over the business without hesitation.  I'll study business and come back to marry this guy after five years."

Of course, Father was speechless.  His face begun turning red.  He grabbed the folder from my hand and looked inside it.  His next statement made my throat dry.

"I hope you don't turn back on your words or I'll disinherit you.  Prepare to leave the country.  I'll see you after five years."