Hot Mess

PLAYING WITH DESTINY

 

 

I didn't realize I was too tired until I unconsciously fell asleep as soon as my back touched the bed.  I was just about to have a quick nap but, the comfortable bed made me slept like a baby.  If not for the constant ringing of my phone, I would still be dreaming about some random things.

 

I blindly looked for my phone.  It was just under one of the pillows.  Bom's name was flashing on my phone screen. 

"Hello?" I answered with sleepy voice.

"Dara-ya, you're finally back!" Bom squealed from the other line.  I had to distance the device from my ear or my eardrum will break.

"How did you know?  Wait.  What time is it now?"

"Half past eight.  Why?" Bom asked.

"Already ?!"

"Yes.  Why?  What's wrong?  It's still early.  Why don't we have breakfast together?  Where are you?"

"Breakfast?!" Panic started kicking in.  I have a breakfast meeting at 9 and I'm still in bed.

"I'm sorry, Bom.  I have to be somewhere and I'm already late.  Thanks for calling me anyways.  Bye!"

"But, Dara-"

Bom"s voice faded.  I threw the phone on the bed and ran to the bathroom.  I almost shrieked when I saw my reflection in the mirror.  I looked like a mess.

I hurriedly took a quick shower.  I had no time to put on make up.  I just applied some moisturizing cream and lip gloss then tied my hair in a messy bun.  I put on a pair of jeans and blue plaid shirt over a wife beater shirt with a modest neckline  I just hope my future husband is not dressed up for a simple breakfast.  I'll be so humiliated.  

It was already five past nine.  I really hate tardiness.  I've never been late to any appointments.  It's unprofessional to let people wait and waste their time.

The lift took longer than necessary to reach the hotel rooftop where we are supposed to meet for breakfast.  It has an exclusive restaurant that serves a few chosen individuals of the society.  It's not accessible to the common public.  If you were invited by a VIP customer to dine in the restaurant, you'll be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement before you can enter.  The restaurant values the privacy of its patrons.

 

Only a few tables were occupied when I entered the restaurant.  I didn't recognize any of their faces.  I haven't been updated of the high society personalities for a while now.

The hostess approached me while subtly checking my appearance from head to toe.  I returned the favor in not a very subtle way.  Her name tag said Jessica.

"Good morning, Ma'am.  Are you with someone?". She asked politely.  I caught sight of the lone person occupying a table for two by the edge of the rooftop restaurant.

"Actually, I am.". I turned to leave ignoring the gasp coming out from the hostess mouth.  I made beeline towards the table where my future husband is sitting.

 

He hasn't noticed me.  He was busy enjoying the view from where he was seated.  Thank goodness he wasn't dressed up.  It could have been embarrassing.  He might get cold feet if he saw me a bit less prepared.

 

I was halfway to his table when he suddenly turned.  My feet faltered when our eyes met.  Although he was wearing dark glasses, I can feel his stare.  

He removed his sunglasses baring his intense stare. He was intimidating.  My heart started pounding and the hair on my nape stood.  I felt uncomfortable all of a sudden.  I thought I was floating as I closed the distance between us.

He immediately got on his feet when I reached his table.  I flashed him a nervous smile and introduced myself.

"Hi, I'm Sandara."