The Contract

PLAYING WITH DESTINY

 

 

Signing the contract with JYP Entertainment was like trading my soul with the devil.  It was the weirdest contract I have ever heard of. I had the option to refuse that specific condition but, when I think of the difficulties and hard work I have invested in training to become an idol, I couldn't find the courage to walk out of Teddy's office.

Out of the five trainees, they chose to invest in me. The company was willing to risk their resources on me.  That was a heavy burden to carry. There was no space for failure. 

I was confident of myself but, the additional clause they added in the contract made me waver.  Did the company really believe in my talent and abilities or was the offer given because some daughter of a huge company suddenly threw a tantrum?

I was appalled.  I knew JYP Entertainment is just one of Park Group of Companies subsidiary.  Is she that much of a spoiled brat to make one of the most respected businessman in the country come up with such absurd condition?

It was a five year contract.  Everything was to my favor except the additional clause which I have to execute after five years.  So many things could happen within those years.  Who knows what could happen in the future? Besides, if I pushed through with the contract, my future will be more secured than ever.  I just have to sacrifice some personal choices.

I signed the contract and told myself to cross the bridge when I get there.

After signing the contract, everything was setin motion.  I debuted as a solo artist with variety of talents.  I can make my own music.  After winning the Best Rookie Award a few months right after I debuted, the agency gave me my own studio where I can produce my own music.  I was given the full support to develop my skills and I keep getting the best results.

I was not allowed to mention that particular clause in the contract to anyone.  Not even to my family.  I've been linked to different girls every now and then but, Teddy didn't mind at all. I was thinking they forgot about that thing already.  Even when I got reunited with Kiko, my first love, no one from the company stopped me.

Then I met Choi Seunghyun aka TOP.  He became my manager.  He made me do weird things not related to music.  Once I was on break after the success of my third full album, he enrolled me in a private course about stock exchange.  After I got my certificate, he made me buy some stocks owned by Park Group of Companies.  I spent half of my savings to buy the stocks.  I haven't had the chance to check if I gained any profit from it.  TOP became my account manager and I trust him.

On the fifth year of my career, I was reminded of the contract I signed.  Teddy summoned me to his office with TOP tagging along.  Every executives in the agency was  present. They finally decided it's time for a world tour.  They asked to prepare new materials.  I got very excited with the thought of touring around the world.  It was every artists' dream.  Until all the other executives left the room.  

We were sitting face to face on Teddy's lounge area.  TOP lit a cigarette. He offered me one but, I refused.  Teddy's silence was making me uneasy.  I should have taken that cigarette.

"Do you still remember when you signed the contract in this room?" Teddy started.

I glanced at TOP.  He looked unbothered by the conversation.

"Don't worry.  He knows.  He's part of the family." Teddy assured.

"What?! Since when?!" I exclaimed. 

"Since birth, duh." TOP answered mockingly.

" We're cousins. Didn't you notice the resemblance?" TOP added.

No.  I didn't notice any resemblance at all!  It seems I've been duped the entire time. Did the company send TOP to spy on me?  They didn't have to do that.  My life is an open book to the public.  What is there to spy on?  How much information did TOP shared to Teddy?

"That's not important." Teddy interrupted my train of thoughts.  "You'll be part of the family soon.  I think you have enough time to tie all loose ends on your part."

"Can I even meet her beforehand?"

"You have met her several times.  You just didn't recognize her." said TOP.  That made me feel like an idiot.

"And you didn't tell me!?" I was blown away by the information I was suddenly thrown at.

"I just heard about this arrangement not long ago."

I think my head is about to explode.  Someone is out there who I am supposed to marry in less than a year.  Why didn't she approached me? Is she ugly?  Was she laughing at me every time we're at the same place knowing I am still clueless of who my future wife is?  Does she even like me?  She is the only heiress of Park Group of Companies.  She should be very popular.  Was I too busy to notice her? 

After leaving Teddy's office, I spent my time searching for my future wife online.  I searched for every possible clue but, there's no personal information about her.  She was rumored to be staying abroad but, where in the world? No one knew.

Why is she being mysterious? Was it to protect her identity? Nobody can answer the multiple questions filling my head at the moment.  I just have to wait until the concert is done.  I just have to let fate guide me.  I signed the contract and I have to see through it.