Cohabitation

PLAYING WITH DESTINY

 

 

 

Park Sandara keeps surprising me.  She demanded for us to live under one roof.  I just didn't expect a duplex house.  I still don't understand the need to pretend of cohabitating.  Both our families understood what kind of marriage we got ourselves in.  We can just dissolve the marriage and get on with our lives like that stupid contract didn't exist.

 

TOP accompanied me shopping for furnitures.  I thought of going minimalist since I was not planning of staying in the duplex for a very long time. I just need a comfortable bed to sleep on and a cozy couch in the living room.  Since I have a great wide wall separating me and my estranged wife, I decided to buy a 80 inches TV with matching sound system.  I didn't bother replacing the dining furnitures that were already in the house.  I doubt I'd be using the kitchen ever.

 

I was  testing the home theatre when I heard movements from the other side of the wall.  It was already past ten according to my watch.  I got curious and pushed the glass wall to Sandara's place.  It was dimly lit.  I found Sandara sitting on the couch with her head tilted on the backrest.  Her bared feet were perched on the wooden center table.

"Hey," I announced myself.  She jumped from her seat.  She got on her defensive stance.  She relaxed when she recognized who I am.  

"Please don't do that again."  She returned to her sitting position.  She picked up a remote control and started switching on the lights.  She looked exhausted.

"I thought a burglar entered.  How did you get in anyway?"

"The door, of course."

 

I felt like an idiot. Duplex house.  Separate doors.  How fitting.

"Do you need anything?" Sandara asked when I kept standing by the wall that separated us.

"Do you always work until this late?"  Was all I could ask.  It started getting awkward.

"When thousands of families depended on your business, I have no excuse to rest."

That was brutal.  I cannot negate what she said.  Still, she's too young to shoulder the responsibilities of being the heiress of Park Group of Companies.

"There will be stockholders meeting on Monday at 9am.  Teddy will orient you with the deatails."

"Why do I have to orient myself with those?"  I asked.  I don't have any interest with stocks or any financial investments.  I'm a musician.  Ask me about lyrics and stuff related to producing.

Sandara eyed me thoughtfully.  She shook her head.

"You don't have any idea, do you?"  She chuckled.  "You are the major stockholder of JYP Entertainment.  On Monday, you will be the CEO of the company.  As CEO of one of the affiliates of PGC, you will be one of the-"

"Wait.  I don't want to be a CEO.  I'm a musician.  Not a businessman.  I don't have any idea how to run a company.  I didn't even go to college!"

I am so not freaking out.  Sandara was just teasing me.  Is she?  

"Perks of being the husband of the sole heiress.  Whether you like it or not, you'll be the CEO of JYP Entertainment on Monday.  You have to thank Seunghyun for that.  He managed your finances very well."

"You mean TOP."

"a.k.a Choi Senghyun, my cousin.  PGC's top financial adviser."

 

Immediately, I called TOP after Sandara dismissed me, literally.  It took a while before he answered.  He was in a bar based on the blaring noise I heard over the phone.

"Can't this wait until tomorrow?  I'm on a date here."  TOP said.  After my marriage to Sandara, his attitude towards me changed.  He became more relaxed.  If I was being honest, he treated me like family.  I can't decide if I should like it or not.

"Sandara told me about the stockholders meeting on Monday.  What the is that all about?" 

"Congratulations!  You're now the CEO of JYP Entertainment.  Can I go back to my date now?"  TOP was more than amused of my life crisis.

"I can't be a CEO.  I don't know how to manage a business.  I only have a GED certificate for Pete's sake!"  I yelled over the phone.

"You have Sandara.  You can ask her for tips."

"There's no way I'm going to ask her for anything."

"We'll talk about this tomorrow at Teddy's office.  Good night, Jiyong."

TOP quickly ended the call before I could complain more.  I found myself staring at the wall separating me and Sandara.  The lights in here living room were switched off.

I was overwhelmed is a big understatement.  I'm freaking out.  I'm not good with responsibilities.  I am not qualified for the position.  This is a TRAP!

I just wanted to make music.  Managing a company never occured to me.  Did marrying into the Parks entail this huge responsibility? Can I escapebthis If I asked Sandara for a divorce?  What grounds do I have to consider the idea?  

With a huff, I collected my car keys and phone from the table and decided to leave.  I will go back where I originally belong.