Chapter 13

My First and Last

“MinYeong-ah, you should call him. You know he’s enlisting soon” SooMan talked to her on the other line.

Everything happened so fast She met NCT. She had fun with EXO. It only lasted about a few months. She needed to go back to America to finish her studies and, continue working. She had a good and fun time in Korea, but there are times that both groups were busy, barely saw and visited her. When they are free, she was either busy catching up with school work or in a zoom meeting at work. It all happened so fast and the next thing she knows, she’s flying back to America, after her talk with Kyungsoo, after the latter told her that he was planning to enlist in the military.

 

“I need to talk to you” Kyungsoo walked in her room, quietly and calm. MinYeong looked over her shoulder and gestured for the guy to sit on her bed and pointed at the laptop screen, letting the other know that she’s on a zoom meeting.

“MinYeong, are you listening to us? We said, we need you back here” an older guy in the screen spoke. “Yes sir, I heard you clearly. I will need to arr—”

“You need to come back here, soon. We really need your help? Okay? I’m ending this meeting” she got cut off. Her screen went blank, and she shut laptop in annoyance. She let out a big sigh. Kyungsoo watched her and broke his heart seeing her, stressed out.

“Sorry” she uttered. “I guess I was gone for a little longer than we all expected, and things are not looking good, I might need to go back.” She looked at him and there she saw the expression, that she had not seen, for the longest, ever since they broke their engagement.

“Kyung?”

“MinYeong….” He held her hand. “I’m planning to enlist in July” he uttered and she was taken aback.

“What? Why? It’s not time for you yet. Kyung…” she held his hand tighter.

“I know; however, I think it’s better this way. We cannot have too many vocals out, serving in military, all at once, and you know what I mean”

“No, I really don’t!” she answered, her voice louder than usual. “I don’t know why you’re coming in here, telling me this., whatever you call this thing. YOU know well that you barely saw me because of your schedule and you’re coming here to tell me this news?!” she let go of his hand, stood up, tears are on the urge to fall anytime.

“I know. I’m so sorry” Kyungsoo stood up and hugged her. “I know that I have lacked time for you. You know how we get busy during our comebacks. Then, Xiumin hyung suddenly enlisted. Min, I know you’ll understand me”

“How long will I need to understand you? How long do I need to wait?” she broke their hug. “I longed for you for those years when I was in America. Even though you and I were facetiming, I also needed you by my side. Come to think of it, you said you would take care of me if I came home, which I did, but then, I was left and set aside, once again” tears are running down through her cheeks.

“MinYeong—” he tried to touch her, but she moved her hand away from his reach. “All I can say is I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to set you aside or make you feel like, whatever you are feeling right now” he said in frustration while he chuckled.

“WHATEVER I’M FEELING RIGHT NOW?!” she raised her voice.

“You had more time that you spent with NCT than us, you don’t think I noticed?” he chuckled. “I know they’re busy too, but for some reason, you always go to them first than us. Why? Is it because you are the part owner of their group that’s why they are more important than us?”

“What are you talking about? That’s not true”

“Then tell me, why do you spend more time with them, especially with Mark?” he held her shoulders and looked down. Threatening for any tears to fall, anytime soon. “Do you LIKE him? Is that why? You don’t have to lie or hide it. I can tell” his voice is shaky. “It’s funny how you used to tell me everything. Things had really changed between the two of us”

“That’s not true Kyungsoo” she held his face. “Look at me, that’s not true. I want to… I want us to be how we were before, but things have changed. WE changed. Whether we want to admit it or not, both of us changed” she took his hand.

“Look at me and tell me, do you LIKE Mark?” he held her hand tighter, his tears are pooling in his eyes. She couldn’t give him an answer. He let go of her hands, he chuckled. “I’m enlisting in July, that’s my decision. I am here to let you know” he was taking his leave when he stopped by the door.

“MinYeong, no matter what happens, remember, I LOVE YOU”

 

“I don’t know Uncle. I’ll think about it. I must hang up. Bye” she ended the call. She heaved a sigh and closed her eyes.

She hasn’t really thought about Kyungsoo. Hell, she has not thought of the members of either group. As soon she returned from Korea, she went back to work and kept herself busy. Today, is the day that she is giving herself some free time. To think and sort things out. To sort her feelings. She loves Kyungsoo, but she cannot deny that the younger boy is slowly entering her heart. She opened her phone and went to her photo gallery, browsing through her pictures, one caught her eye.

“He’s such a baby” she whispered to herself while she was looking at Mark’s picture. She continued browsing and didn’t realize that she had so much more pictures of him saved on her phone than she expected. Her phone rang and it showed Mark’s caller ID. “Oh, why is he calling me now? Hello?”

“Hi Noona. It’s Mark. I mean you already know that” the boy chuckled. “How are you?”

“Hey Minhyung. I’m doing good. How are you?”

“I’m doing good also. Are you busy? Did I disturb you? I’m sorry if I did. I just want to see if you----”

“Mark. Relax. You’re blabbering again. No, I’m not busy. I just got home from work and just relaxing” she smiled knowing the other person couldn’t see it. “Why did you call?”

“Oh… Uhmm” Mark couldn’t utter a word. “I heard about Kyungsoo Hyung enlisting soon. Are you… okay, Noona?” the younger asked worriedly over the phone.

“Did my Uncle ask you to call?” she chuckled. “I literally just got done talki---”

“Ani” the younger’s voice answered in a serious tone catching her off guard. “I called because I was worried”

“Oh” is all she could say. There was silence for atleast a minute. “Mark…”

“I know this might not be the right time to tell you this… but Noona….” The younger paused and she had to hold her breath, it’s like she already knew what the younger was going to tell her. “I---”

“Mark, stop” she said, silencing the younger. “Please don’t ---”

“I LIKE YOU” the younger confessed. Silence… It was pure silence. All they could hear was each other’s breathing through the line. “Noona?” the latter called, and he cleared his throat. “Did I catch you by surprise? I’m sorry. I just thought to tell you, now. I’m sorry” he sounded sincere, yet sadness filled his voice.

“Mark, I have to hung up” with that, she ended the call and held her chest that was beating like crazy. The sudden confession from the younger caught her off guard. She closed her eyes and ran her fingers through her hair, letting a heavy sigh.

 

 

 

"I like you"

His words lingered into Minyeong's mind. She couldn't let go of the thought. His words sounded so sincere. Her heart was beating so fast as she was staring into blank space.

 

"He likes me... unbelievable" she uttered and smiled to herself.