Welcome Back

Figure It Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Areum starts with a routine. Waking up in the girls' dorm, eat, shower, then she'll head to therapy just so she could walk normally again. But it wasn't as easier than she had expected it to be. Even though it had been a week, the girl struggled in getting her foot to properly cooperate with her as she ended up collapsing against one of the bars, sweat running down her forehead as she gripped the bars tight with her jaw clenched tightly in frustration. Her whole body ached after trying to get her foot to work, but it just wasn't getting any easier.

Rosé excused herself from the doctor before hurrying over to her side with a worried look plastered on her face. "Hey, hey, it's okay. Just take your time." She encouraged while placing a hand on her shoulder but the soloist just ran her fingers through her hair, an exasperated look coming over her face as she looked to the girl. "I-I can't do it, Chaeng." The soloist panted heavily while leaning against the bars. And though the use of the nickname made her heart flutter, she Rosé couldn't help the way it clenched at the sight of Areum so tired and distressed about her predicament. "I know you can do this. You're strong, Eumi-ah." She encouraged her as she took her hand in her own and gave it a squeeze. "But I'm not..." She trailed off while the younger girl shook her head. "You are. I've seen you conquer stadiums and commanded the attention of everyone who watches you. This is just a small bump in the road." Rosé tells her with a look of determination in her eyes and Areum in a deep breath before slowly nodding her head. "I can do this." She whispers to herself and the girl smiles brightly before she's helping her back on her feet, now taking a different approach as she stood at the other end of the bars while grinning at the soloist.

Areum was able to push through despite how much her body was complaining, wanting to rest. As soon as she reached the end, she fell into Rosé's arms, making the younger one squeal with a proud smile on her face. "I told you, you could do it!" She cheered as Areum giggled and nodded her head. "Well, I did have a great cheerleader." She chuckled before she was seated on the wheelchair. Rosé had to bite her lip as she looked away and hid the blush that crept up her neck. They then proceeded back to the doctor, who made a few more tests before letting them go. Walking was still a bit of a struggle but Areum prefered to use her crutches instead of the chair unless she was extremely tired. If the girls wanted, they would support her in walking instead of using the crutches. But since she had just finished therapy, Areum opted to use the wheelchair.

While her foot was recovering, she was also able to remember a few other things, starting with that night with Jennie. They weren't too big memories, but they were parts of her that she saw made sense. "Hey, Chaeng?" The girl looked over while they were in the van and then cocked her head. "Can we grab something to eat? I'm hungry." Hearing this caused the girl to laugh loudly before cooing when she saw the small pout on the soloist's face. "Of course! I know just where to take you." She had to take another route before making it to a dog cafe not too far from the dorm.

Adjusting the masks on their faces, Rosé soon nodded her head before she got out and rounded the car to help Areum out. The older girl smiled despite it not being visible under the mask, then followed the Aussie's lead as they entered. As soon as she saw the puppies that loitered the cafe, a squeal left her lips, and if she could, she would have already ran toward the pups. Rosé just laughed delightedly while shaking her head then helping her friend towards one of the tables and then taking her mask off, Areum following suit before she bent down to pick up the Shih Tzu that was pawing at her leg. "You're so cute!" The soloist cooed while bringing the puppy close to her face and nuzzling it, making Rosé aww at the sight before she quickly took a photo. She would then send the picture to the group chat where the girls were quick to fangirl over the adorable sight.

"Ah! You're both here!" An older woman approached the pair with a warm smile and Rosé nodded her head. "I missed coming here." She would say and the lady chuckled while wiping her hands. "Well, you refused to visit without this one. I can understand that." Areum paused in playing with the puppy in her hold before smiling politely at the woman. "I saw the news. I hope you're doing well now?" She asked and was answered with a small nod. "Alright, let me get your usuals. These babies have missed you two, and there are new ones I'm sure you'd love as well."

Once they were left alone, Rosé offered a tiny smile to the older girl's slightly confused face. "This place has been our hangout spot. Since it isn't easily noticed, we came here once, before. One visit turned to two, then three, until we would always come here whenever we felt like it." She shrugged with a hint of a smile playing at her lips. "I can see myself spending the rest of my day here." Areum admitted while giggling as she scratched the puppy between her ears and then letting her run around the cafe.

They both sit there in silence and Rosé quietly observes the girl seated across her with a fonnd smile playing at her lips. Even though the other was looking at everything else, she couldn't tear her own eyes away at the beaty that was Song Areum. Being able to talk to her, spend time with her like they used to, she felt an overwhelming sense of relief that she had to wipe away a few tears that had built up in her eyes. The action catching the brunette's eyes as she turns back with a worried look on her own face, replacing the awe and fascination that was previously there. "What's wrong?"

The red haired female shook her head before she's letting out a laugh. "Ani, ani. I just... god, I missed you so much. Being here with you, right now... it just feels so surreal." She admitted while resting her chin on top of her hands. "The moment we found out you were missing, I didn't know what to think. I was so worried." She sighed while blinking back more tears. "I mean, don't get me wrong, the others were also worried, but when you were gone, I just didn't know. But when we found you the way we did..." Areum frowned before she reached forward to wipe Rosé's cheek as another tear escaped.

​​​​​​"I felt so helpless. Even though Lisa kept trying to comfort me, I couldn't even bring myself to look at you right away." She let out a shaky breath and the soloist let her finally pour out everything that she bottled up for the past year. "When the doctors told us they didn't know when and if you would wake up, I felt like my whole world just stopped. That's my best friend, her life was on the line, and I couldn't do anything." She whimpered at the thought and Areum shifted slightly before she moved her seat, with a bit of difficulty, before she was seated next to Rosé and wrapping an arm around her slim waist.

​​​​​The younger girl curled up in her warmth, burying her face into her neck as she clung to her shirt. "The whole year without you felt so different, so distant. I didn't know what I was doing most of the time." She did her best to suppress a sob, but the feeling of comfort and security that she received from the hug made her defenses lower that small whimpers managed to escape her lips. "We had a comeback, just a few months back. I didn't have the energy to do it, and Lisa talked some sense into me." She chuckled weakly as she felt Areum's hand against her cheek, wiping away her tears.

"She told me 'what do you think unnie would feel if she found out you didn't want to perform anymore? She would be so devastated. She would want you to keep performing, even though she may not physically be there' and I guess that was my wake up call." She murmured while pressing her face more into the other's neck and then shutting her eyes. "I did my hardest. I dedicated every practice, every performance for you, and then we got the news that you were awake and I-"

She wasn't able to finish the rest of her sentence and Areum understood as she soothed the younger girl and rubbed her arm, whispering assurances and sweet nothings into her ear until she eventually calmed down just as the woman from earlier arrives with a tray that had two drinks and food. The brunette offered a small smile and thanked her before she excused herself while Areum focused her entire attention on the girl that was in her arms.

Hearing her pour her heart out made Areum's chest feel warm at the thought that someone cared for her this much, but at the same time it was so heartbreaking to her that this poor girl had gone through all that with no one to share that burden with. It made Areum's admiration for the girl grow to see just how strong she was despite bawling her eyes out right now. She's been holding it in for so long, she was glad that she was able to finally let it out.

"I may not have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter