Ironic Secrets

Dreamscapes

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

Sliding the shower curtain to the side, an arm reached out for the cotton robe hanging off the side bar. Slipping into it Jineol knotted it loosely around his waist then reached for the hotel fluffy curtain. Grade A material as deserving of someone his status.

Waving the steam that had built up away, he wiped the mirror clear and rubbed the towel through his damp hair. He felt refreshed and cleaned up. The corner of his mouth lifted when he heard the door just past the queen-sized bed click open. The shapely blur made its presence behind him before feeling those slim arms around his waist. Resting her head at the back of his shoulder she greeted, “I’m here.”

Touching Yena’s manicured hands, he asked, “How was the meeting, baby?”

“Boring. The room was full of smelly old men.” She mumbled.

“Hey,” he turned around, cupping the side of her pretty face, “it’s over now.”

She stared up into his face. Her luscious lips fairy pink today and alluring. The motions of want zapped him.

Covering his hand, she leaned into his palm, “You don’t have work today?”

“I took the day off.” He replied a hand through her hair. “We have the entire afternoon to ourselves.”

She stared longingly at him. Worrying, “I think Namjoo knows.”

“What?” Jineol asked surprised. Then he laughed, “No. She’s as clueless a dog.”

“Are you sure?” her brows furrowed. “The way she acted yesterday…”

“Shh…” he shushed her, leaning down closely to her face. “I don’t want to think about her. Right now, it’s just us.”

He gave her a quick peck and inhaled her perfume. The bottle he’d bought her for their second month anniversary. A gift he’d chosen himself, because he hated Namjoo’s Vera Wang scent though he’d said it turned him on every time she sprayed it on.

“Ok.” She quietly breathed. Running her hands over his shoulders. “My mom wants to see you soon. She says we should all have a meal together again.”

“We can do that.” He smiled. Dropping the towel at their feet he winded his arms around her, lifting her, and carrying her onto the bed in the next room.

At quarter to six, they woke up and dressed. Jineol held her hand as they rode the elevator and dropped off the key at the reception desk. Driver Lim was waiting at the curb with the black BMW. Still holding Yena’s hand Jineol looked at her, smiling as Driver Lim opened the door for them.

“Let’s take Yena home first.” Jineol said letting go of her hand to let her in first.

“Yes, sir.” Director Lim replied.

Sliding in after her, Jineol retook her hand as Driver Lim closed the door. They shared a grin of bliss. Touching her thigh, he gave her cheek a peck.

“Tomorrow at the same time, but come wait for me.” Jineol said. “I have business to tend to in the morning.”

“Ok.” She smiled.

“I’ll call you once Namjoo goes to sleep.” Jineol promised. “Wait up for me.”

“Of course. I won’t sleep until you do.”

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

Crap.

The new Merlot wine was more than halfway gone already. Namjoo stared at the wine glass she’d just refilled. This wasn’t enough yet. She’d only bought two. If she finished the other one, she’d have to go back to the store tomorrow. Namjoo didn’t want to resort to her precious bottle of vodka.

Headache.

She rubbed her forehead and closed her eyes. Reopening them when she heard the front door open.

Jineol was finally home.

A glance at the time and it was close to seven. Way past dinner. She had eaten alone bitterly. Debating whether to call and interrupt that board meeting of his. Then decided, she could ruin it another day. She wanted the pills. Now she felt almost thrilled that Jineol was home. The back of her mind a misty fog unable to jump through the clouds into consciousness. She could barely struggle against her feelings to be mad.

“I’m home.” Jineol walked into the kitchen joining her under the glow of golden lights. Wrapping his arms around her, he kissed her cheek. “How was your day?”

She turned into the warmth of his breath. Love satiating her belly because he was home. “It was fine.”

“You’re drinking?”

“Do you want a glass?” Namjoo asked.

“I’ll pass. I have to get up early tomorrow.” Jineol said. Brushing his lips against her cheek he said, “I missed you.”

Shifting to face him, Namjoo leaned against the counter. “I missed you, too.”

Linking her arms around his neck her heart swelled. He was so handsome. Wooing her with his poetry when they first met in the Literature Club in university. He was the romance she’d only read in books come to life. The Prince Charming she’d always waited for.

All the love in the world she needed.

She loved him.

Namjoo kissed him with yearning. Felt him press into her. Her mind fast forwarded to them on the bed perfecting a rhythm known only to them. A nano-second later and it wasn’t her under him.

She pushed him away seized by a sudden confusion. Her lightheadedness made everything spin as she fought for control of her haywire thoughts. Realizing why she was coming out of her high suddenly.

It was the smell.

The scent of perfume.

“What?” Jineol asked.

Smiling to reassure him, Namjoo said, “Nothing.” He leaned in to continue the kiss but she dodged. Pressing a hand to his shoulder, she turned him off. “You should go shower. You smell sweaty. You must’ve had a long day at work, it’d be nice to get clean before bed.”

“Do I?” Grabbing the collar of his shirt he held it up to his nose. Looking at her sheepishly, he laughed, “I guess I do. I better go freshen up.”

Namjoo continued smiling. Turning slightly as he tried to kiss her on the mouth but instead, he met her cheek. If he noticed, he didn’t say anything.

“You’re right. I’ll see you in bed.”

“Actually, I think I’ll go sit at the garden for a bit. I feel woozy.”

“You shouldn’t drink so much.” Jineol eyed her glass of wine. “You know mother hates alcoholic beverages.”

“It’s an old bottle.” Namjoo lied.

“Last cup, ok?” he asked.

“Ok.” It was a lie, but he wouldn’t know. He didn’t even know where the soy sauce was in the kitchen.

“Don’t stay out too late.” Jineol said. “I can’t sleep without you.”

Slightly moving her head, Namjoo summoned another smile. Once he disappeared so did her smile. Swigging the glass, she put it in the sink and dug into the lower cabinet for her bottle of vodka.

A blast of chill air wafted into her face when she stepped out of the house. Her dress flowed around her legs as she headed for the garden unscrewing the lid fervently. Tilting her head, she chugged the warm liquid. Welcoming the burn down . Gasping when she lowered the bottle. Dropping into one of the bistro chairs, Namjoo slammed the glass onto the table; her head followed.

She felt horribly overwhelmed by everything. Release. She wanted release. For these chains to stop binding her at the wrists. Namjoo pictured the bottle hidden in her vanity drawer. She was almost out.

Release.

Her stomach cramped.

She wanted the pills, but it was too late in the evening. Jineol was already home. Drawing her knees together to wait out the misery she squeezed the liquor bottle. Tonight, she’d have to deal again. Aware she’d be stuck laying in bed wide awake, unable to sleep.

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

Sehun barely had any cooking tools, so he was left with the microwave. Thank goodness he’d bought microwavable ramen. It was all he had available and perhaps would not fill him up. Just when the machine beeped, he heard a knock on his door.

“The Master wants to see you.” It was Driver Lim.

Ditching breakfast Sehun started toward the manor. Smelling food the moment he walked through the front doors. Aside from the madam’s snare her eyes were bloodshot red. Beside her Jineol raised an arm, waving for him to join them.

“Why is he here again?” she aggressively asked her husband. Sehun wondered if she was always irritable. How the hell did her husband live with her? He must have a heart of gold to tolerate her.

“It’s fine.” Jineol persuaded. “He’s family now, like Driver Lim.”

She sneered, “He can’t compare to the old man.”

Ignoring her, Jineol invited, “Sit down.”

Stuck with the only seat across from the mean wife, Sehun sat down. She blew a puff of air annoyed, but said nothing. Just stabbed the meat on her plate and stuck it into . Chewing with vigor.

What the hell had he ever done to her?

“Let’s change things up today,” Jineol smiled. “You’ll be my driver for the day. It’ll show you the ropes around here.”

Sehun smiled. He couldn’t believe his luck. He didn’t have to deal with the quack wife. Ecstatic with the news he gulped down breakfast heartily while Namjoo continued at her snail pace.

Two minutes in and she shoved her chair back, declaring, “I’m done.”

“Already?” Jineol asked. “You barely ate.”

“I’m tired.” Namjoo rose to her feet. “I’ll tell Miss Han to reheat the leftovers.”

“Is something wrong?” Jineol asked. “You didn’t sleep last night?”

“I had a series of nightmares.” Namjoo explained.

“Then get some rest. I’ll be home on time. Let’s have dinner together, huh?” he asked.

With a slight nod of the head she disappeared down the hall.

“Migraines,” Jineol clarified when a door closed. “They’ve always been really bad after she got in a car accident. My father always said she shouldn’t drive. We have drivers and that’s what they’re for, but she was always stubborn. And then she had that accident that tore her knee ligament. She’s better now after therapy and pain meds.”

For some reason he thought about the long flowy dress she’d worn yesterday. The one-piece she’d worn the day before.

“I’ll give you a copy of the key fob,” Jineol explained when a younger housekeeper started clearing the table once they were done. “You can borrow Driver Lim’s for today.”

“Yes, sir.” Sehun answered.

“Did your luggage arrive yesterday?” Jineol wondered on their way out of the house.

“They did.”

“That’s good.” He said. “I’m going to stop at work for a quick meeting. Won’t take long, but you can wait in the lower cafeteria. There’s coffee and food, if you want to snack. Wi-fi is also available, so that’ll keep you until I’m done.”

Sehun nodded. Thinking about it made him excited. This was way better than being stuck at the manor with the witch.

“I have somewhere to go after, so I’ll come get you once I’m done. Sound like a plan?” Jineol asked.

“Yes, sir.” Sehun happily repeated.

At the car Jineol handed him a key. Copying the same service he’d provided Namjoo yesterday, he opened the back door for the man then slipped inside and drove off following the GPS.

On the lower floor of Jineol’s glassy workplace, Sehun bought himself coffee. Finding a table, he made himself comfortable and pulled out his phone. Passing time with cartoon until Jineol came down looking for him. Compared to the madam, her husband seemed like a different entity. Upbeat, laid back, energetic, friendly, and carefree. Sehun liked him.

“I have something important going on the entire afternoon,” Jineol said as Sehun drove down the road. “You can take the entire time off for yourself. Be back by four. Try to be here right on the dot.”

“Yes, sir.” Sehun answered pulling over to the curb as the GPS directed.

Leaning forward, Jineol patted the back of his head rest. “Thanks, man. You’re doing a great job.”

Sehun smiled. He hoped he was. He didn’t want to get fired and look for somewhere else to work or a new place to stay. This had been a win-win situation for him when he was offered the backhouse.

“Oh, no need,” Jineol said when Sehun reached for the door to step out and open the back door for him. “Don’t worry about it.”

Amazing, Jineol didn’t require assistance from head to toe. He was definitely Sehun’s favorite.

“And,” Jineol added, “this is a secret from my wife. No word gets to her about this, do you understand?”

This time, Sehun turned around in his chair to look at his boss. Finally catching the dangerous sheen in his eyes. He was serious.

Sehun nodded. “Yes, sir.”

“Good.” Like Namjoo, he put on that too happy smile then opened the door and closed it.

Sehun waited a beat before leaning forward to peer out at the high-rise building. From where he parked it was difficult telling what significance the concrete building held; why it was a secret. Seeing the sign, he realized the answer.

It was a hotel.

A business meeting perhaps? A private meeting with a VIP? Maybe he was having lunch here with a companion.

Not his problem. Recalling Driver Lim’s words, Sehun shook the curiosity away. Starting the engine, he veered back onto the street and decided he’d go back to the mart in search of cooking tools. He’d have enough time to spare to look for new tees and jeans and maybe some entertainment so he wouldn’t be so bored in his free time.

At four on the dot Sehun drove back to the hotel. Parking in the same spot by the curb waiting for Jineol to reappear. Jamming to the music on the radio while setting his eyes on the doors. It didn’t take long for his boss to appear. Sehun immediately shut it off and stepped out of the car. He hesitated about his decision when he discovered Jineol was not alone but in the company of a woman. And they were being very intimate.

Holding hands. Giggling.

Sehun’s eyes drifted away. Uncertainty threaded through him. He was forced to look at them when they approached.

Smile almost fading nervously, the female asked, “Who is he?”

“The new driver.” Jineol answered. “Well, what are you waiting for?”

“Oh, yes.” Sehun slightly lowered his stance, hurried forward, and pulled the back door open. Trying not to peek into the woman’s face when she passed by. Once they were in Sehun returned to the driver’s seat.

“Her address is in the GPS,” Jineol said. “Driver Lim inputted everything you need. Just press the button.”

Following the directions Sehun clicked through the screen.

“We’ll send Yena home first.” Jineol said.

“Yes, sir.” He robotically replied signaling to merge into traffic. His nerves knotted the entire way. Uncomfortable with the whispering, the giggling, and the kissing he saw whenever he looked into the rearview mirror.

Suddenly he wasn’t so sure about this dishonesty. The entire time Sehun thought hard about Driver Lim’s advice. Making it a mantra in his head. Trying to block everything out when Jineol and his mistress became lovey-dovey outside the car when they dropped her off at home. He cranked an imaginary radio button in his head, blasting music until Jineol reentered the car. On the entire drive to the manor, Sehun lost all his respect for his boss.

“You did good.” Jineol clapped his back when they finally reached home. They were the first supposed encouraging words given when Sehun opened the door for him to dispel his guilt. Truly, he felt no sincerity.

Saying nothing, Sehun merely nodded his head.

“If you want, come join us for dinner.” Jineol offered. “I’ll set out another plate for you.”

Was that a bribe? If it was, did he offer Driver Lim bribes? What kind? The questions whirled through his head endlessly.

Sehun watched Jineol walk toward the house. His every step light with no worry. He looked the ever jolly merry man coming back home to a waiting wife.

It was unbelievable; the mask he put on was just baffling.

Shaking his head Sehun crossed the yard to the backhouse. The entire family was filled with quack heads. Maybe this was why middle-class people said rich people were full of . Because they were.

His head automatically turned ahead then turned again and he stopped walking entirely. Spotting something in the center of the flower garden. From where he stood it was hard to make out the awkward shape. Deciding to find out, Sehun took a step forward.

Through the gaps of the weaving plants Sehun recognized a blotch of color. The flowers brushed against his legs as he neared. The overhead sun hung above him. Beating heat on his back.

It was the madam.

Hunched over the table, an arm stretched out. The limp strands of her hair spilled over her face. In her grip was an almost empty bottle of liquor. Sehun felt pity for her.

A drunk wife. A cheating husband.

What a ty marriage.

He wondered if Jineol knew. If not, he may as well save her because he felt sorry for her. Sehun reached for the bottle, wrapping his hand around it, and attempted to lift it out of her grasp. He was surprised when she tugged back and suddenly lifted her head to glare at him.


***Ooooh sweet, now Sehun knows. Shame Jineol has no clue Namjoo is already onto him (it's gonna cost him an arm and a leg later) but he doesn't know her secrets

***Long ago I read and reread Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner (it's a mystery book, yea I'm very obsessed with crime and mystery) where the wife's husband cheated on her and she got hooked onto pain meds because it gave her a high and escape from her painful reality, but that was only a part of the book - I found everything still very heartaching. Also, I've tried a dozen unique things in my stories but drugs. Get that I'm just relying on research and memory of things I've learned about addiction or have heard about it and there is nothing absolutely accurate in my story. This is still a fiction with some realism, but I am not an expert. I'm just an amateur.