Things Don't Change

Dreamscapes

Relinquishing her grasp on the armrests Namjoo stood. She was suddenly swimming in quicksand.

She wanted her medicine.

“Put it back.” Namjoo said. “I don’t want to see it again.”

Hurrying inside she closed the door to the master suite and rummaged through her usual vanity drawer. Pouring out a number of pills and tossed them back.

Don’t feel. She just didn’t want to feel anything.

Sitting on the edge of the bed she gripped her dress and waited for the euphoria to climb over her. If Jineol came home, would she be able to ask for forgiveness for being so awful earlier? Or would he continue to hold it against her until the next time Yena soothed him enough to forget?

Laying down Namjoo buried her face into the sheets.

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

Sehun watched the headlights of Jineol’s car glow red in the distance then disappear.

He was such a bastard.

He turned to the doorway Namjoo had gone through, now empty. Was she going to resort to her pills? Or had she pulled out her stash of alcohol?

Sehun couldn’t think of any worse way for her to escape this hole she threw herself into.

Damn the rich people.

Grabbing the wheelchair, he pushed it back into the tool shed. He had been here multiple times, but not far back enough to discover this. Namjoo had probably stowed it away for safekeeping. Why did she bother when she didn’t need it anymore?

Sehun glanced down at the wheel chair. A sense of sympathy touched him.

Namjoo had never laughed before. He’d never heard a peep of happiness from her. Why did she still stay when it was obvious Jineol did not appreciate her? Wasn’t she already destroying herself enough? How much more of an addict did she need to become before she required intensive rehab?

That would lead to serious issues. Possibly a legal divorce battle that would cause a stain on Jineol’s precious reputation and damage Namjoo’s future.

After he washed that evening and dropped into bed, Sehun stared up at the ceiling. He didn’t have dinner in the manor tonight. He didn’t hear Jineol’s car engine, meaning he had not returned home. He wondered if Namjoo had skipped another meal because her husband wasn’t home. She’d barely had lunch. How the hell was she surviving? Her body seemed to be shriveling away.

Turning onto his side he dug his head under the pillow. He didn’t need to worry about their family affairs.

No one had asked for him even when he woke up late. He was kind of surprised Jineol didn’t call him in for breakfast to talk to him about the way he’d treated Yena. He was pretty sure the guy had gone to spend the evening with his mistress yesterday. Someone like Yena wouldn’t sit still about a guy intentionally ignoring her.

Getting dressed for the day Sehun anxiously waited. Maybe Jineol was purposely stretching out his worry. The moment Sehun eased the guy would come at him with a back slam.

The Suh family was just unpredictable. Both husband and wife a nuisance. Floating around him at one moment after another.

He was a joke to them anyway, probably.

Right now, the madam was probably locked up in her room. Angry over something new and seeking out a target to lash at, preferably him because he was available. Her husband most likely holed up somewhere separately. Texting Yena. Sehun wouldn’t expect him to be doing anything different.

Keeping to himself, Sehun planned to dillydally his time away. Since it was Sunday, he’d take a good half day off. Hopefully the family wouldn’t require his assistance leaving him some good time to spend alone. Sehun thought he earned it after dealing with their messy family activities for another week. In order to survive the next havoc filled week Sehun would need to relax and sit back a little.

Kneeling in front of the garden at the back of the house, Sehun glanced up when a shadow hovered over him. A pile of uprooted weeds lay at the fore of his knees. He kind of hoped whoever it was might see he was busy and leave.

Too bad it wasn’t happening.

Namjoo asked, “Where are your keys?”

“Why?” he asked.

“I want to go shopping.” Without a beat she said, “I’ll wait by the car.”

Meaning he had no choice. Sehun watched her walk away. Surprised she wasn’t moping inside today despite yesterday’s turnout. Wasn’t she supposed to be pissed off at him?

He just couldn’t understand her.

A purse dangled off Namjoo’s elbow when he arrived at the car. He hadn’t bothered to change. Deeming he wasn’t very dirty anyway and he hadn’t been outside long. Plus, Namjoo would be shopping alone. Wouldn’t she?

Opening the back door for her he asked, “Where are you going?”

“Just drive.”

Learning now to leave her until she made another demand, Sehun shut the door and slid into the driver’s seat. Namjoo had him drive to lower downtown and park several blocks from a strip of popular window shops. Residential office suites flanked the local shops. This was not the high-class mall for those who had credit cards at their expense. These locally owned places did not carry high end products or popular brand names.

Someone like Namjoo could afford to buy out all the stores here.

“Get out.” Namjoo said and shockingly, opened the door herself.

Sehun wheeled around too late to the door shutting. Left with neither a no nor yes for a choice, Sehun undid his seatbelt and stepped outside. Namjoo was already turning the corner when he locked the car. A flood of pedestrians was walking around them. Carrying shopping bags, eating a tiny bag of chips, talking with their pals, crossing the street.

Staying straight on the sidewalk Namjoo walked briskly like she really knew what she was searching for. Briefly pausing she pulled open a door and entered. Guessing she’d found her designated spot, Sehun peered into the store as the door shut with a whoosh. At the side display window fedora hats sat on cut off mannequin heads.

He read the general store name that didn’t point to the specific products being sold. If Namjoo was on another mission to dress him up he wasn’t interested. He quickly thought of various options to reject her offer.

Sehun stumbled back surprised when the door opened and Namjoo frowned at him. “What are you doing? Come in.”

She already reentered the store without waiting for him. Catching the handle before the door shut again Sehun stepped into the air-conditioned store with a very simple layout. Clothes hung on low racks on both sides. Fully outfitted mannequins were pinned high up to the wall. A tiny section of various fashionable sports to caps to fashionable leather fedoras filled shelves. At the back a register sat on a high desk beside a receipt printer.

Sehun searched the interior of the store unable to determine what today’s purpose was. He was more curious how Namjoo knew this place, because it didn’t seem like a store she’d venture to. Being married to a well off businessman like Jineol she’d spend his money more wisely on things that would maintain their wealthy vibes.

His attention came to when a light pressure landed on his head. Namjoo’s hand stretched away as he reached up to find out what just occurred. He touched something sturdy and soft. Confused he pulled it away. Frowning perplexed when he saw it was a baseball cap.

“What?” Namjoo asked completely innocent.

“What are you doing?” he asked, because he just didn’t understand what was going on.

“Then I’ll just find another one.” She returned to the shelf. Holding out a plain blue cap she asked, “Do you like blue?”

He gently swatted her hand away. “I don’t need it.”

Tucking the hat back onto the shelf Namjoo resumed browsing. She was unbothered, unaffected by his apathic attitude. He expected her to argue or make one of her statements as she had when she’d dragged him to the mall, but she just said, “Did you know too much sun can damage your hair? Then your hair will get dry and brittle and you’ll go bald.” and she managed to sound very unconcerned and casual about it.

He cut from her preoccupied expression to the cap in his hand. Then thought about the leaves she’d left scattered around the flowers yesterday.

“Forget it.” he said. Randomly grabbing a straw sun hat, he pushed it onto her head with his palm. Replacing the hat on his head he went to the counter. “It’s a buy one get one half off.”

Taking out his wallet at the counter he inquired for the price of the hats. For a normal retail store, he didn’t have to break a leg to pay.

When he turned around Namjoo was missing. Sehun searched right and then left. Gosh, she was so befuddling. Straight ahead he recognized her through the glass door.

“You should have said something if you left,” he chided stepping outside.

Lost in thought she didn’t retort. The brim of her hat hid the upper half of her face masking her expression from view.

Noticing the tag hanging off the hat he lifted it off her head and ripped it off. The $16 price tag was too visible in big bold print. She might be embarrassed if it so happened someone pointed out the cheap product.

“At least rip it off,” he muttered.

“I used to live over there.” Namjoo said in a quiet voice.

Sehun followed her gaze to somewhere beyond the cluster of business buildings. In the distance he spotted high apartment complexes and rooftop duplexes. Over the mountain of homes Seoul National University claimed its part of the land.

Grabbing the hat from him she stepped into the street and crossed the road. Caught off guard he turned to see her go then back toward the buildings. He was surprised she hadn’t been pampered by her parents until marriage. Hurrying across the street he half jogged into the coffee house she’d gone into.

Namjoo was at the counter, still in the sun hat, placing an order. Sehun made way for a couple while he waited. Once Namjoo received her order she turned around sipping her iced coffee from a straw.

“What?” she asked when she saw him. “If you want something, order it yourself.”

Without pausing she walked by and found herself an empty window seat. Sehun released an exasperated sigh. He turned back to see a line at the counter and gave up immediately. Trailing over to the window he sunk into the seat across from her.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

Busy sipping, Namjoo didn’t reply as quickly as he wanted. Swallowing at least a mouthful, she asked, “Why?”

“Aren’t you done shopping?”

“I’m having a day out.” Namjoo stated matter of factly.

“You’re just going to sit here?” Sehun asked.

Namjoo shrugged. Sehun rolled his head. He was as good as stuck with her. Hitting the table with his hands he got up to join the line. He may as well grab something to snack on so he wouldn’t be bored. Sehun returned to the table with a tray of croissants and cookie brownie.

“Have one.” He said. “You should eat something.” When she reached for the tiny plastic fork, he cut her off, “The brownie’s mine.”

Namjoo quickly glared at him. “I want it.”

“I bought it.” he reminded.

“You said I can have one.” Namjoo pointedly argued.

He jammed a finger toward the croissants, “I was talking about this.”

Namjoo looked at the croissants. “I don’t want it.”

A nerve in his face twitched.

“Something sweet would go better with the coffee,” Namjoo cocked her head. Smugly smiling she broke off the corner of the brownie and lifted it into .

He couldn’t stand her.

“Go get another if you want one.” Namjoo said already reaching for another piece.

Sehun scowled at her. “Forget it. I don’t want it anymore.”

“Suit yourself.” Namjoo coolly said.

After finishing her coffee Namjoo merely skipped out of the coffee house overjoyed. Sehun sulked over the brownie, quietly cursing her joyous attitude.

Slowing to a normal pace, Namjoo reminisced, “You used to be able to take bus 94 straight here to the university, but I don’t know if the transit still exists.”

Ahead of them Sehun saw a bus stop sign. A metal bench was available for waiting passengers. He was starting to get the gist that Namjoo was pretty familiar with the downtown area. This was like a trip down memory lane.

“It’s only been a few years. The city would hardly change transportation routes,” Sehun said.

“You never know. Things always change.” Namjoo quietly murmured. She searched the street for incoming cars then stepped off the curb. “I’m going to buy new glasses. Wait in the car if you want.”

She veered off past the hat shop, this time taking her sweet time. A group of giggling girls quieted when she walked by then picked up their snickering. Coming across him they stared curiously before fading into the background like the rest of the world. Sehun quietly cursed himself. He should’ve taken the offer to return to the car, lean back, and blast the radio.

Here he was, browsing through another shop. Keeping some distance from Namjoo. He didn’t want to get into her personal space. He didn’t want her in his personal space. If today she was blowing off steam, he didn’t want to catch fire and become smithereens.

“Hold it.” Namjoo her hat against his chest making him breathlessly grunt.

Sehun scowled watching her flick her hair back and put a pair of big, round sunglasses on. He continued holding the face as she observed herself in the available mirror. Dissatisfied she picked up another pair of shades.

Casually peering over her shoulder, she asked, “Which one?”

“What?” burst out of his mouth surprised.

Scolding, she repeated, “I said which one?”

Sehun frowned at her absurdly. Why the hell was she putting him on the spot for?

“Never mind.” She muttered eyeing the second pair in her hands.

Looking away he mumbled, “The first one looks better.”

When he didn’t receive any backlash from her, he slowly turned to see her putting the second pair of sunglasses back. Strutting toward the counter Namjoo went to pay for her purchase, thanked the clerk, and snatched her sun hat out of his hands.

“Let’s go home.” Namjoo said on her way out.

On the drive home, Namjoo rolled down the window and stared out at the cityscape. Her hair flapped in the snapping wind. She’d left the sun hat on her lap, the sunglasses tucked away into her purse. Signaling to change lanes, Sehun glanced back quickly catching the blue expression in her eyes.

Some days she rubbed his nerves the wrong way and he couldn’t help despising every inch of her. Other times he felt immensely sorry for her. Today he wondered if she really wanted to head back to her home of a prison.

Sehun turned at the red lights and took the longer route home. If Namjoo noticed she didn’t make discussion with him. She just continued to stare out the window like some lost soul.

He pressed on the brakes when they finally arrived home and swiftly parked in the designated area in the garage. Namjoo waited for him to open the back door for her. She didn’t wait and started walking toward the manor. No thank you or anything. Maybe it was what she was taught because Jineol’s family found it unnecessary to be grateful for the service they received. Being friendly with the lower class came off as embarrassing.

Since he had to walk the yard to the backhouse, he followed Namjoo down the wide arcing driveway. As they breached the walkway leading to the front door voices around the side of the manor halted them. Jineol and Yena made their appearance around the flower bed. Chatting side by side and stopped a second later sensing their presence.

Honest exasperation made Sehun want to scoff but he remained silent knowing better. He first saw the flabbergast expression stretching the planes of Jineol’s face back toward his ears. The husband’s eyes widened momentarily before widely smiling.

“You’re back?” Jineol welcomed.

A cruel smile shuffled across Namjoo’s face, “Yes, I’m glad I arrived in time to catch Yena. Why, I didn’t know you’d be joining us for lunch.”

“Lunch?” Jineol asked shocked then corrected himself. Tossing out a laugh, he nodded, “Of course. I invited Yena over for lunch. I hope that’s fine, dear.”

The corner of Namjoo’s mouth punctuated her cheek deeply. “I’ll be inside then.”

Jineol’s attention landed on him when Namjoo disappeared. Grinning too widely, relieved, he offered, “Come join us, Driver Oh. You’d oughta be exhausted after driving the madam around all morning.”

“No, I…”

“Come join us.” Yena interrupted. “It’d be a nice way of repaying you for your service yesterday.” She glanced at Jineol who shared a look of heart eyes pridefully. “Even though I should be the one buying you a meal.”

“You’re too considerate,” Jineol linked his arm around her back smiling gleefully. Yena giggled girlishly.

Sehun was going to be sick.

“Come join us.” Jineol’s voice was final. Letting go of Yena before his wife might catch them in action, he first turned to head in.

Yena took a step into his space. Leaning up toward his ear, speaking teasingly, “I like your hat.”

Her voice brushed against the back of his cheek as she withdrew and landed on her soles, her eyes never straying from his.

“You’re not dressed up today,” she noted lowering her eyes to his chest. “But I like it that way. Don’t be too handsome in front of the madam. She won’t know how to appreciate a fine man like you.” Finishing off with a flirty smile, she stepped away. “The old lady must have given you a hard morning, so come sit with me. You’ll feel better.”

Preferably, he wanted to be alone now.

Sehun stared at the gaping doorway, tempting him.

Namjoo’s rare laughter popped into his head.

This was a 2 versus 1 battle that was unjust. Namjoo had probably enjoyed the psychological warfare, but her stubbornness wouldn’t save her. It would never do anything for her.

Removing the cap off his head he gripped it between his fingers and finally went inside.


***he won't admit it but he's already involved in their family affairs